17 replies to this topic

#1 navster

navster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

These instructions are for the upgrade of the internal Micro SD card on the HT-PAD-1051 Tianfeng tablet from the manufacturer’s 8GB to 16GB using the latest and most stable firmware at the time of writing this guide - Herotab M10v2 Slatedroid Singularity Firmware v5. My thanks to the contributions from the much more experienced forum members such as Reimar, JGZinv, Roger Calver and several others from whose various posts I have borrowed instructions and content.

WARNING – BE SURE TO THOROUGHLY RESEARCH\UNDERSTAND ANY MODIFICATIONS YOU MAKE TO YOUR TABLET BEFORE PROCEEDING, AS SLATEDROID MEMBERS CANNOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED.

Necessary hardware\software for this project – fine point star-head screwdriver, small flat-head screwdriver, electrical insulation tape, long nose pliers, paper clip, tablet to PC USB cable and a computer running Windows 7 (32bit and 64bit), WinXP will also work but this guide is written from a Win7 perspective:

1)Fully charge your tablet and backup any data or applications you would like to keep to the external media of your choice

2)Switch off the tablet, unclip the black plastic cover from the back cover, unscrew the two small star-head screws shown in the red boxes below and put them somewhere safe

Posted Image

3)Remove the small black plastic cover over the top of the wifi antenna and unclip the antenna from its bay, taking care not to pull it away from the motherboard. Also remove the fabric tape from the back of your camera and gently lift it out of place

Posted Image

4)Take your small flat-head screwdriver and wrap the tip section in about three layers of electrical insulation tape, we shall be using this as our primary opening tool

5)Using your small flat –head screwdriver wrapped in insulation tape, carefully prize open the back cover from the screen by starting from the power button area and work your way along the volume button edge to achieve about a 2mm gap, then peel back the rubber seal separating the screen from the back cover

Posted Image

6)Using your small flat–head screwdriver wrapped in insulation tape, push down on the three clips just inside the volume button edge, which are securing the screen to the back cover, you may need to lever them towards the screen to get them to completely unlock

Posted Image

7)Peel back the rubber seal separating the screen from the back cover along the USB port edge, then using your small flat –head screwdriver wrapped in insulation tape, push down on the two clips just inside this edge and continue to gently prize the power button\volume button\USB port edges open, taking great care to ensure the screen is coming away hinged at the remaining edge, as this edge holds the ribbon cable connection from the screen to the motherboard.

Posted Image

8)You should now be able to locate and remove the existing 8GB SD card by gently using your long nose pliers, which we should be put it in a safe place for us to use in case we need to go back to the tablet’s original build

Posted Image

9)Go to your PC and plug your new 16GB SD card into your PC via USB or card reader port and from your desktop right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

10)Right click on the entry for your 16GB SD card and remove any\all partitions present but do NOT format the card

11)Go back to your tablet and put your new 16GB SD card into the slot we removed the 8GB card from earlier

12)Put your tablet back together by gradually pressing the screen back into place, taking care to feed the wifi antenna cable, camera cable and rubber seal to the correct places during the process, take your time with this step!

13)Put the wifi antenna back into its bay and put the plastic clip back over it along with the large black plastic clip on the back cover

14)Go to your PC and download the following file from my Mediafire folder and save it to your desktop

http://www.mediafire...o16GB-Flash.zip

15)Extract all the contents of the above file to a folder called "gpad" on your desktop

16)Connect your tablet’s USB port located immediately under the home button to your PC using the cable that came with it (although my iPhone cable seems to work just fine)

17)Put your tablet into maintenance (bootstrap) mode by powering it up and pressing the volume down button at the same time which should prompt Windows 7 to install the device as “SE Blank ELVIS”

18)Install the correct USB driver by right clicking on Computer > Manage > Device Manager > Other Devices > SE Blank EVLIS > Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software, then navigate to:

desktop\gpad\HT-Pad-1051-8GBto16GB-Flash\Drivers\

19)Click on the option to “Install this driver software anyway” and Windows will install the device driver which should appear in your device list as “i.MX51 Mass Storage Device”

20)We are now ready to inject the new firmware to the tablet using the manufacturer’s firmware flashing tool by clicking on

desktop\gpad\HT-PAD-1051-8GBto16GB-Flash\Mfgtool.exe

21)From the MfgTool main window select Options > Configuration > USB ports and ensure ONLY the "Freescale i.MX51 Bulk IO Device" entry box is ticked

22)Press OK to go back to main MfgTool window and ensure you have an entry within one of the four horizontal boxes containing “i.MX51 Bulk IO Device”

23)Now click on the green Start button and kick back for 5 minutes while the new firmware is copied to your 16GB SD card

24)Once the process is complete you will see MfgTool reporting “Unrecognised Device” where it was previously displaying “i.MX51 Bulk IO Device”, at which point you will need to disconnect your tablet from the USB connection, close MfgTool and press the tablet’s reset button next to the headphone socket with a paper clip

25)You should now be in a position to power up your tablet with a fresh install of Roger Calver’s excellent Slatedroid Singularity v5 firmware on a 16GB card. Should you have any problems or wish to go back to your previous setup you can always revert to your removed 8GB card!

:) Enjoy your 16GB tablet :)

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by navster, 22 July 2011 - 06:06 AM.

Navster

HP Touchpad 32GB running Dual Boot WebOS 3.0.3 and CM7.1 Alpha

#2 maw65

maw65

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

Hi

Thanks for all information.
I removed my 8GB memory card but I cant read it. My computer (wind7 64) sayes it's unformated.
Is it possible to put in a clean 8GB card and us the normal upgradefile for 8GB ? or do I have to make all partisions before.

/Marcus

#3 Reimar

Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,049 posts
  • LocationSamut Prakarn (Thailand)

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

Be sure your Reader could read SD-HC Cards. Older Reader couldn't!

Mr. Imperfect
from
LOS (Land of Smile (Thailand))

Posted Image

Please do NOT hijack my signature picture. Thanks.

#4 Reimar

Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

Mr. Imperfect
from

Posted Image

#5 maw65

maw65

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

I made a hdclone on the card and it's worked in my pad. But I can't read it.

I tried to update my pad with the 8GB-HT-1051-Tianfeng-FW-Upgrade-Pack, but it stops in the format process, I don't know if my pad is compatible but it's an

HT_PAD_V1,4CU-update2-eng 2.2 FRF85B eng.tianfeng.20110315.224229.

Se my logfile.

Thanks for help

/Marcus

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 19:22:41
1 - Panel A Start processing SD <LIST/>.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="find" body="BootStrap" file="" timeout="60" onError="" text="".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="find" body="BootStrap" file="" timeout="60" onError="" text="" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="init" body="Memory" file="mx51to2.ddr.xml" timeout="10" onError="" text="".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="init" body="Memory" file="mx51to2.ddr.xml" timeout="10" onError="" text="" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="load" body="" file="uImage" timeout="10" onError="" text="Doing Kernel.".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="load" body="" file="uImage" timeout="10" onError="" text="Doing Kernel." SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="load" body="" file="initramfs.cpio.gz.uboot" timeout="10" onError="" text="Doing Initramfs.".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="load" body="" file="initramfs.cpio.gz.uboot" timeout="10" onError="" text="Doing Initramfs." SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="load" body="" file="u-boot.bin" timeout="10" onError="" text="Loading OS image.".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="load" body="" file="u-boot.bin" timeout="10" onError="" text="Loading OS image." SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="jump" body="" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text=" Jumping to OS image. ".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="jump" body="" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text=" Jumping to OS image. " SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="find" body="Updater" file="" timeout="60" onError="" text="".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="find" body="Updater" file="" timeout="60" onError="" text="" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="pull" body="?" file="device.xml" timeout="10" onError="" text="Getting device info.".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="pull" body="?" file="device.xml" timeout="10" onError="" text="Getting device info." SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="show" body="" file="device.xml" timeout="10" onError="" text="".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="show" body="" file="device.xml" timeout="10" onError="" text="" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0,/dev/mmcblk0,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0,/dev/mmcblk0,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="pipe fdisk /dev/mmcblk0" file="fdiskcmd.txt" timeout="10" onError="" text="Create partition for SD Card".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="pipe fdisk /dev/mmcblk0" file="fdiskcmd.txt" timeout="10" onError="" text="Create partition for SD Card" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="frf" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="Finish Create partition".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="frf" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="Finish Create partition" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0/mmcblk0p1,/dev/mmcblk0p1,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0/mmcblk0p1,/dev/mmcblk0p1,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0/mmcblk0p2,/dev/mmcblk0p2,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0/mmcblk0p2,/dev/mmcblk0p2,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0/mmcblk0p3,/dev/mmcblk0p3,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0/mmcblk0p3,/dev/mmcblk0p3,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0/mmcblk0p4,/dev/mmcblk0p4,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0/mmcblk0p4,/dev/mmcblk0p4,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0/mmcblk0p5,/dev/mmcblk0p5,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0/mmcblk0p5,/dev/mmcblk0p5,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0/mmcblk0p6,/dev/mmcblk0p6,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="mknod block,mmcblk0/mmcblk0p6,/dev/mmcblk0p6,block" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="send" file="files/u-boot-no-padding.bin" timeout="10" onError="" text="Sending u-boot.bin".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="send" file="files/u-boot-no-padding.bin" timeout="10" onError="" text="Sending u-boot.bin" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="$ dd if=$FILE of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1K seek=1" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="write u-boot.bin to sd card".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="$ dd if=$FILE of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1K seek=1" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="write u-boot.bin to sd card" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="send" file="files/uImage" timeout="10" onError="" text="Sending kernel uImage".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="send" file="files/uImage" timeout="10" onError="" text="Sending kernel uImage" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="$ dd if=$FILE of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M seek=1" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="write kernel image to sd card".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="$ dd if=$FILE of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M seek=1" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="write kernel image to sd card" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="send" file="files/uramdisk.img" timeout="10" onError="" text="Sending uramdisk img".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="send" file="files/uramdisk.img" timeout="10" onError="" text="Sending uramdisk img" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="$ dd if=$FILE of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4M seek=1" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="write uramdisk image to sd card".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="$ dd if=$FILE of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4M seek=1" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="write uramdisk image to sd card" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="$ mkfs.vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="Formatting data partition".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="$ mkfs.vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="Formatting data partition" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="$ mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p5" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="Formatting data partition".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="$ mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p5" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="Formatting data partition" SUCCESS code=0.

1 - Panel A Start <CMD/> type="push" body="$ mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p6" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="Formatting cache partition".

1 - Panel A Finished <CMD/> type="push" body="$ mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p6" file="" timeout="10" onError="" text="Formatting cache partition" FAIL code=256.

Panel A: Updater Error 0x100 (256) -

2 - Panel A Finished processing SD <LIST/> : FAIL code=256.

Panel A: Operation stopped by user.

#6 Reimar

Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

HDClone will NOT work 100%! The problem is how the Manufacturer was designing the structure of the internal Memory Card.

You'll need to clean and delete ALL Partitions on Card using your PC. If you use Vista or Windows 7 just run the following commands from Command Line:
Use WinKey + R and type cmd [enter]
in the command window type: diskpart [enter]
type: select disk ## [enter] (## the number of the Memory Card)
type: clean [enter]
type: exit [enter]
type: exit (enter]

Do NOT partition or format the Card just place the unpartitioned and unformatted card back in your device and start the flashing procedure as explained.

If that didn't work, change the Card, it could be a Card problem which I had a few times on my devices.

Good luck.

Mr. Imperfect
from

Posted Image

#7 maw65

maw65

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:37 AM

HDClone will NOT work 100%! The problem is how the Manufacturer was designing the structure of the internal Memory Card.

You'll need to clean and delete ALL Partitions on Card using your PC. If you use Vista or Windows 7 just run the following commands from Command Line:
Use WinKey + R and type cmd [enter]
in the command window type: diskpart [enter]
type: select disk ## [enter] (## the number of the Memory Card)
type: clean [enter]
type: exit [enter]
type: exit (enter]

Do NOT partition or format the Card just place the unpartitioned and unformatted card back in your device and start the flashing procedure as explained.

If that didn't work, change the Card, it could be a Card problem which I had a few times on my devices.

Good luck.

I got the same problem.
after removed all partitions as you instruct, I start up the MFGtool it stops in the same position and all my old files is back and I can start up the Pad. I tried to remove it again and make a large partition that I also format and delete and get the same problem, but now I can't start up compleate. I will try another card and get back to you.

Thanks Marcus

#8 maw65

maw65

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:48 AM

Hi Reimar

Now it works!!

I have test 3 diffrent cards the last one was a new 16GB I clean it and download the 16GB and prcess stops, then I put in the 8GB it stops I clean it again and put in the 16GB and now it was no problem. I don't know the problem but it seames that the process is difficult to get to work.

Many thanks for the help.

/Marcus

#9 Gerrelt

Gerrelt

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:15 AM

Hi Navster,

Many thanks for posting this how to!!
I used it to fix the power-in port of my ePad.
Without your manual I would have destroyed the pad trying to take it apart.

Owh, btw, my pad had four clips at the top instead of three. There was extra one
in te top right corner.

Thanks again!

Greetings,
Gerrelt.

Edited by Gerrelt, 05 November 2011 - 07:15 AM.

#10 pim_nl

pim_nl

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hi,

I own a Gpad Gforce (version without bluetooth and 3G), bought at Pandawill.
(http://www.pandawill...era-silver.html)

CPU: Freescale imx515,800MHZ Cortex A8
Memory: DDR 512MB
Storage: 8G
Display: 9.7 inch TFT multi-touch capacity screen 1024*768(LG original screen)
Battery: 7200mAh
Work time: up to 6~8 hours
Multi-Touch, Gravity Sensor
Web camera: 2.0 Mega Pixel camera

CPU: Freescale A8 800MHZ
DDR 512MB

I'm having problems reflashing my Gpad (the "256 error"), so i'm trying to get the microsd card out of the device to delete all partitions from it on my pc (like described in the post above).
I noticed that my layout from the motherboard is slightly different then the one you have in the post.

Posted Image

Can anyone tell me maybe how to get the card out of the slot ? I've tried pulling and pushing it but it wont get out.

Posted Image

#11 Reimar

Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:07 AM

Hi,

I own a Gpad Gforce (version without bluetooth and 3G), bought at Pandawill.
(http://www.pandawill...era-silver.html)

CPU: Freescale imx515,800MHZ Cortex A8
Memory: DDR 512MB
Display: 9.7 inch TFT multi-touch capacity screen 1024*768(LG original screen)
Battery: 7200mAh
Work time: up to 6~8 hours
Multi-Touch, Gravity Sensor
Web camera: 2.0 Mega Pixel camera

CPU: Freescale A8 800MHZ
DDR 512MB

I'm having problems reflashing my Gpad (the "256 error"), so i'm trying to get the microsd card out of the device to delete all partitions from it on my pc (like described in the post above).
I noticed that my layout from the motherboard is slightly different then the one you have in the post.

Posted Image

Can anyone tell me maybe how to get the card out of the slot ? I've tried pulling and pushing it but it wont get out.

Posted Image

That is the Mainboard from Version 1 of the Hero Tianfeng device.

To get the TF Card out, you'll carefully need the card bend up a little bit and carefully take it out without to damage the resistor which is in the way and blocking.

Mr. Imperfect
from

Posted Image

#12 pim_nl

pim_nl

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

Thanx for your reply,

A friend of mine just looked into it and he found out that i need to pull the iron case a little to the back, then i can flip it up.
Next you can take out the Micro SD card.

Dunno if this is the right topic to make this reply to but i keep getting the "256" error. Even after taking the card out and deleting all partitions from it (and not having formated it). Its a 8GB class 4 Sandisk MicroSD Card. When i try to install the Singularity V5 8GB firmware to it, i get the 256 error. When i install the 4GB version from the same firmware, my tablet runs (but ofcourse i only have 4GB on my tablet then).
Also tried the 256-error-8GB singularity firmware. This installs without any problems, but the tablet wont startup.

Does this mean my card is corrupt and have to get a new one, or is there something else i've done wrong ?

Thanks for the help :)

Pim

#13 Reimar

Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

To first you'll need to flash the Firmware from 20110426 to the tablet using the PC connection.

Only after that you could upgrade to the Singularity FW!

Use the infos from this forum How To .............!Remeber: all you do, you do on your own risk!

Mr. Imperfect
from

Posted Image

#14 pim_nl

pim_nl

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

Hi,

Sorry for my late reply. Thanx for your help ! Last weekend i got able to try and load the other firmware to my Gpad. The version 3 wouldnt install at all and after a lot of errors and retries, i finaly managed to flash the Gpad with version 4. After that, like you adviced me, i try to install the Singularity but no succes. So lots of errors later, i got the pad running on 4 again, but, as you may know, the market from that version is f*cked. So i really start to think the Gpad's internal card is corrupted some way.
Does anyone have another idea ?

(I hope i'm not going off topic now ... ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Pim

#15 mmichael

mmichael

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hello to All,
I recently got a Gpad from ########### and had to open it up because the battery got disengaged inside and as a result the protection circuit board was distroyed. I replaced the circuit board and before closing it I thought to order a new 16GB SD class 10 card and flash it with an updated firmware. My board says AZW PAD1051M V5.1 It has bluetooth and a SIM card slot under the black plastic cover which I am not sure it works. What I would like to know is whether this firmare is Android 2.3 as i would like to replace Froyo that came with it.
Does anybody know whether there is a slight chance that someone will develop an ICS image for this?
Michael.

#16 Carmenn

Carmenn

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

hi, I lost my battery , can you say me what characteristics the battery have?? V?? mA??

#17 Reimar

Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

7.4v, up to 4400mA LiPo Battery, depend on manufacturer! Charger has 9V 2A

Mr. Imperfect
from

Posted Image

#18 Carmenn

Carmenn

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

that is for HT_1051 v1????
where I can get a battery so? I can put a universal battery????
Thanksss