251 replies to this topic

#61 Fyre ~

Fyre ~

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:01 AM

After reading through and failed a couple of times, here's how I did it eventually:

• Download HerotabC8_V2.2_2011_03_01.zip. I've tried the others posted in this thread but none worked.
    (The one provided by pchel48 works and saved my *arse)
  • Take out the internal 4GB microSD and wipe it clean: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512KB count=4
    No need to do anything further, i.e. create partition or format.
  • Put the internal 4GB microSD back into the tablet.
  • Extract the contents of the ZIP.
  • With u-boot-sd.bin from the ZIP, use dd to dump it onto an external microSD. I used a 2GB card for this. dd if=/path_to_bin/u-boot-sd.bin of=/dev/sdX
  • Copy the entire contents of the ZIP to the largest partition of the external microSD. It was the only automatically mounted partition when I replugged the card into Ubuntu.
  • I had to do these steps as recommended in the first post: rm -R utscript_sd && cp utscript utscript_sd
    (I didn't do it initially and after the recovery flash, my tablet couldn't boot w/o the external microSD)
  • Insert the external microSD into your tablet. Now, both microSDs are inside the tablet.
  • Press power and "M" button simultaneously. It should boot up and begin recovery.
  • After that is done, you may remove your external microSD and proceed as your wish.
Hope that helps!
~ Have fun ~
Cube U9GT 2 (Jelly Bean 4.2.2 / 1.0.6 by Ukrainen)
My timezone: +0800

#62 Sharara

Sharara

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:35 AM

I was able to unbrick my utv210 tablet by following your instructions! Many thanks for this method. In step 2 I formatted my sd card with win7 inbuilt formatting tool .It posed no problems.So hp format can be avoided.

#63 Biccio

Biccio

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

Dear All...I have a brik and after 7 hours of work, I was not able to revive my herotab C8. I tried to avoid posting..but I need some help here. :(

I have tried following the steps with the following assumptions:

1- I would like to avoid opening the tablet. I am scared to break it and I hope this will not be necessary.
2- I do not know if my tablet is with NAND or without. So I tried both the procedures.
3- I am using a 2gb card..I will try soon with a 8 gb.

I had made all the steps with a ubuntu terminal and I have seen a big difference: the partition created on the 2gb card after using the two "sudo dd.." commands are 4 of approx 100MB, 500, 3.1 GB (???), and 130MB. At this point without formatting and without copying the files for the 301 update, I had the tablet to respond and download the recovery...logo..but it stopped soon (believe the system) and switched off.

I have repeated everything this this time formatting the 500MB with FAT (ubuntu gives me only FAT..is this ok??I do not have FAT 32 as a possibility) and copying the files from the 301 version and making the modificaton about the utscript_sd. This time the tablet start in updating mode but shutdown immediately just showing the droid.

My doubts are...where I can be possibly worng? Maybe I screwed up everything the first time I revived it.

Secondly..is my Herotab C8 a NAND or not tablet??? And especially, in the procedure without the NNAD
"IF YOU HAVE A NO-NAND DEVICE, DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING TWO STEPS!
– Copy the extracted files to the mounted FAT partition.
– Delete the original utscript_sd, copy utscript and rename it to utscript_sd"

Where the tablet can take the new image of the 301?? I believe a step is missing for my case.

Thanks in advance...and thank to this forum! It gives me a hope!

#64 mooud

mooud

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:04 AM

Dear All...I have a brik and after 7 hours of work, I was not able to revive my herotab C8. I tried to avoid posting..but I need some help here. :(

I have tried following the steps with the following assumptions:

1- I would like to avoid opening the tablet. I am scared to break it and I hope this will not be necessary.
2- I do not know if my tablet is with NAND or without. So I tried both the procedures.
3- I am using a 2gb card..I will try soon with a 8 gb.

I had made all the steps with a ubuntu terminal and I have seen a big difference: the partition created on the 2gb card after using the two "sudo dd.." commands are 4 of approx 100MB, 500, 3.1 GB (???), and 130MB. At this point without formatting and without copying the files for the 301 update, I had the tablet to respond and download the recovery...logo..but it stopped soon (believe the system) and switched off.

I have repeated everything this this time formatting the 500MB with FAT (ubuntu gives me only FAT..is this ok??I do not have FAT 32 as a possibility) and copying the files from the 301 version and making the modificaton about the utscript_sd. This time the tablet start in updating mode but shutdown immediately just showing the droid.

My doubts are...where I can be possibly worng? Maybe I screwed up everything the first time I revived it.

Secondly..is my Herotab C8 a NAND or not tablet??? And especially, in the procedure without the NNAD
"IF YOU HAVE A NO-NAND DEVICE, DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING TWO STEPS!
– Copy the extracted files to the mounted FAT partition.
– Delete the original utscript_sd, copy utscript and rename it to utscript_sd"

Where the tablet can take the new image of the 301?? I believe a step is missing for my case.

Thanks in advance...and thank to this forum! It gives me a hope!

sorry To say that but yes u have to open it and format it

#65 Fyre ~

Fyre ~

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

I believe a step is missing for my case.

The step could be - removing the internal microSD card, wiping it with zeros, then putting it back.

Good luck!
~ Have fun ~
Cube U9GT 2 (Jelly Bean 4.2.2 / 1.0.6 by Ukrainen)
My timezone: +0800

#66 Biccio

Biccio

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

Thank you everyone!!! :clapping: I finally did it. All I did was formatting the biggest partition of 3.1 GB. It went down to 1.2..copied everything...and now I have a revive SD card (that I will never touch again!!) :unsure:

I am still not able to flash the PhoenixMod..I will try later with different ways...as soon as I get a memory card!! :D

#67 Biccio

Biccio

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

After I revived my herotab C8 ..but even before...I am still not able to perform an update with the ROMs in the forum.

What can the problem be?

Can I use the same method to install all the ROMs or I need the 301 version???

I am thinking about creating multiple SD cards with the ROMs.

#68 nido

nido

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:45 AM

A Few day ago, my Haipad M7 was Dead, after i try to upgrade the firmware. After following the procedure, using HxD, SDFormatter, Minitool Partition Wizard, My Haipad is revive ...hurraayyy... Thanks All ... All I do is :
1. Take out Internal SD Card, and by using Minitool Partition, I delete the partition ,then I wipe the card with zero. then i put it back.
2. Format external Card, then by using HXD i copy u-boot-sd.bin from 301 Firmware. then format the card automatically while i put it back to card reader connected to Windows.
3. Copy firmware at Fat32 partition in sdcard.
then... voila.... its back to live again..
( i forgot the detail, after try so many way... with try to understand the linux way and try to compare with windows way )
Thanks to fonix232, Danbbking, alephis and mooud and all people here....

#69 AlexD

AlexD

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:20 AM

My dropad had died, I could make it back to work, but do not know how that happened and the installation was located in the internal memory of the tablet, not the card, because he is working with no card, I made it without the card inside and external links and it still only has no way to do anything for him because he's error in application, and is giving errors only asking to force applications to close ... I do not know what else to do ... And I can not update it ... when I try is only a black screen with the Linux penguin in the corner ... can anyone help me?
Sorry my English ... I am Brazilian and I had to translate some things on Google :)

#70 90trax

90trax

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

Pssible Solution:
1. I took external microsd 4gb (mine's class 6).
2. Formatted (DO NOT USE QUICK FOTMAT) it using HP flash format tool
3. Use winimage tool instead of HxD In following way: from winimage menu "Disk->Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive..." select the microsd card (corresponding device), then pick file "u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm" I take this file from older firmware folder M7+_2.3_20110519.
after this we have a partition structure same like on internal sd card.
4. remove and insert microsd card with windows say "You should format your diver before use"
5. formating new partition and copy all files from previously working firmware. M7+_2.3_20110519 in my case.
6. Insert microsd card into dropad or Herotab and press power with "M" button.
7. device boots normal and perform firmware "upgrade"
8. normal boot from internal sd card. It should be OK now.

PS: I make a second attempt to upgrade firmware to c8lean v1.2, but i accidentally put in the internal storage which is wrong... Im trying to restore everything using This Guide made by Fonix232
Thank you for all of your hardwork, developer! Keep it up!
My Devices:
1.I-Mate Ultimate 9502 WinMo 6.1 build 19562 (My first smartphones)
2.Viewsonic Viewpad 10s stock firmware (currently hate it, cuz i can't mod it ^^)
3.Ipad 2 3G 16GB (Too lazy to use it)
4.Dropad A8i G3NESIS 2.2.1 (Stick with this, man... I love this device ^^)
Waiting for next-gen android device....

#71 AlexD

AlexD

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

I managed to revive the dropad! :yahoo:
I tested many things until it worked, thanks to everyone who posted solutions ... I used the instructions that came 90trax and it worked ...
:drinks:

#72 blindshark

blindshark

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

dear all..
my problem is the herotab c8 always give notification "low on space" after i flashing the tab :(
it beginning when my c8 got a crash system after my son drop it. the lcd is okay but the tab can't do anything until i flashing it with 2203. it's work okay and with my stupid skill, i try to update the firm with 2.3 0805 and it failed to recognized zImage. after that the tab is "dead" and thx for you guys..it can booting again normally (i use 2203 again) but like i said before, the notif still come out and force close all the application. i already try to format the internal sd with fat and fat32 which have no partition or 6 partition (2 part is unallocated) and still have 2.9Gb on one of the partition. could it be the notif come from the nand flash which is i don't know either that my tab have nand or not. it have been a week that i couldn't solve the damn "low space".
forgive me for my bad english and a stupid long story but i really need your help master.. :-
thx before for your solutions..

#73 AlexD

AlexD

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

dear all..
my problem is the herotab c8 always give notification "low on space" after i flashing the tab :(
it beginning when my c8 got a crash system after my son drop it. the lcd is okay but the tab can't do anything until i flashing it with 2203. it's work okay and with my stupid skill, i try to update the firm with 2.3 0805 and it failed to recognized zImage. after that the tab is "dead" and thx for you guys..it can booting again normally (i use 2203 again) but like i said before, the notif still come out and force close all the application. i already try to format the internal sd with fat and fat32 which have no partition or 6 partition (2 part is unallocated) and still have 2.9Gb on one of the partition. could it be the notif come from the nand flash which is i don't know either that my tab have nand or not. it have been a week that i couldn't solve the damn "low space".
forgive me for my bad english and a stupid long story but i really need your help master.. :-
thx before for your solutions..

I think you should remove the microsd internal ... delete all partitions using the Minitol Partition Wizard Home Edition and format it to FAT32 again ... after you put it back into the slot internal dropad ... then you get an external microsd 4 gb or 8 gb and makes the recovery process that 90trax came to me:

"Pssible Solution:
1. I took external microsd 4gb (mine's class 6).
2. Formatted (DO NOT USE QUICK FOTMAT) it using HP flash format tool
3. Use winimage tool instead of HxD In following way: from winimage menu "Disk->Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive..." select the microsd card (corresponding device), then pick file "u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm" I take this file from older firmware folder M7+_2.3_20110519.
after this we have a partition structure same like on internal sd card.
4. remove and insert microsd card with windows say "You should format your diver before use"
5. formating new partition and copy all files from previously working firmware. M7+_2.3_20110519 in my case.
6. Insert microsd card into dropad or Herotab and press power with "M" button.
7. device boots normal and perform firmware "upgrade"
8. normal boot from internal sd card. It should be OK now."

Hopes this can help ... :good:

#74 blindshark

blindshark

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

I think you should remove the microsd internal ... delete all partitions using the Minitol Partition Wizard Home Edition and format it to FAT32 again ... after you put it back into the slot internal dropad ... then you get an external microsd 4 gb or 8 gb and makes the recovery process that 90trax came to me:
Hopes this can help ... :good:

thx bro AlexD... it works again and i'm really exited :D
looks liked i missed one step and that is formating the internal sd.. and just like you said that i used minitool to wipe zero all partition and create FAT32 with "primary" type..
thank you so much for your help... :good:

#75 AlexD

AlexD

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

thx bro AlexD... it works again and i'm really exited :D
looks liked i missed one step and that is formating the internal sd.. and just like you said that i used minitool to wipe zero all partition and create FAT32 with "primary" type..
thank you so much for your help... :good:

Yeaah man... We're here to help! :drinks:

#76 90trax

90trax

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:40 AM

Haha, stupid meh..... i thought my tablet has half-died!
At first, i think i will try to use my first method, before i remove the internal card, and then... it came back to life!!!
Thank you for all of your hardwork, developer! Keep it up!
My Devices:
1.I-Mate Ultimate 9502 WinMo 6.1 build 19562 (My first smartphones)
2.Viewsonic Viewpad 10s stock firmware (currently hate it, cuz i can't mod it ^^)
3.Ipad 2 3G 16GB (Too lazy to use it)
4.Dropad A8i G3NESIS 2.2.1 (Stick with this, man... I love this device ^^)
Waiting for next-gen android device....

#77 Wheres the Beer?

Wheres the Beer?

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

Hi,

I've killed my Herotab C8, its a month old, I watched the Merriemobiles video several times, started performing a firmware update and a few seconds into it the screen went black end of story.

I have tried to follow your instructions to the letter using Ubumtu, Acer Aspire One, Targus SDcard reader, I have your recommended firmware on a USB drive.

I know almost nothing about Linux

Assume I worked out which device "/dev/sdd" the USB drive and "/dev/sdc" SDcard is, also the SDcard is not write protected.
1) I cannot move to the USB drive via command line to reach the firmware folder, it says I'm not permitted (or something similar), I can see the firmware on the USB drive using the GUI.
2) When I issue a sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdg bs=512KB count=4 on a unformatted (or formatted) SD card nothing happens
3) Obviously sudo dd if=u-boot-sd.bin of=/dev/sdg does not work either. (I'm assuming this is a file copy)

Is there an extra command that Ubumtu needs or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I have pulled out the original SDcard from the Herotab C8 and I can see there are several partitions on it when using Ubumtu and the SDcard reader.

BTW, Excuse my ignorance about Linux, I really have never had any cause to learn it.

#78 Loonix

Loonix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:37 AM

Hi,

I've killed my Herotab C8, its a month old, I watched the Merriemobiles video several times, started performing a firmware update and a few seconds into it the screen went black end of story.

I have tried to follow your instructions to the letter using Ubumtu, Acer Aspire One, Targus SDcard reader, I have your recommended firmware on a USB drive.

I know almost nothing about Linux

Assume I worked out which device "/dev/sdd" the USB drive and "/dev/sdc" SDcard is, also the SDcard is not write protected.
1) I cannot move to the USB drive via command line to reach the firmware folder, it says I'm not permitted (or something similar), I can see the firmware on the USB drive using the GUI.
2) When I issue a sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdg bs=512KB count=4 on a unformatted (or formatted) SD card nothing happens
3) Obviously sudo dd if=u-boot-sd.bin of=/dev/sdg does not work either. (I'm assuming this is a file copy)

Is there an extra command that Ubumtu needs or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I have pulled out the original SDcard from the Herotab C8 and I can see there are several partitions on it when using Ubumtu and the SDcard reader.

BTW, Excuse my ignorance about Linux, I really have never had any cause to learn it.

Did you exchange the 'path' in the 'sudo dd if=...' files according what you have learned?
Did you change into the directory where you have put the 'u-boot-sd.bin' file before executing the 2nd command?
Maybe one of the later mentioned windows-methodes are more tailored to your needs.
7" Herotab C8 @Rajesh's ROM v1.1 Beta

#79 Wheres the Beer?

Wheres the Beer?

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:41 PM

There must be a definitive guide on how to restore my Herotab C8 after it died during a flash update.
The fix by Foni232 does not work for me, nor I can see it work for many posters.

I am following post after post, then notes, addendum's, use that, do this, you missed a bit etc, use Linux, use/don't use HP Flash format tool, use/don't use HxD, use Winimage, format/don't format, wipe with ones, wipe with zeros and so on.

Such as

AlexD says use Winimage on the external SDcard, (I see it creates a number of partitions)
the next instruction is to reinsert it and format in FAT32, which wipes all the partitions so why use Winimage in the first place?

Some posters say format the internal SDcard as FAT32, others say don't format, others say wipe with all ones, another post says wipe with all Zeros, others say wipe then format FAT32...

Another says Use Winimage on the external SDcard and the partitions will be the same as the internal SDcard, two lines earlier the instructions were to remove all the partitions off the internal SDCard so they cannot be the same....!!

Even the Fonix232 fix has variations listed elsewhere which are omitted from the "GUIDE"

I spent Sunday trying to get the Herotab C8 working, it's now Tuesday night which I am surrounded by paper, SDCards and a growing pile of my hair where I am yanking it out in frustration.

I repeat my plea, GUIDE ME to the IDIOTS GUIDE to fixing my Herotab C8.... I cannot be the dumbest guy on the planet I'm sure there are other's who are "Android Challenged"

#80 AlexD

AlexD

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:05 AM

There must be a definitive guide on how to restore my Herotab C8 after it died during a flash update.
The fix by Foni232 does not work for me, nor I can see it work for many posters.

I am following post after post, then notes, addendum's, use that, do this, you missed a bit etc, use Linux, use/don't use HP Flash format tool, use/don't use HxD, use Winimage, format/don't format, wipe with ones, wipe with zeros and so on.

Such as

AlexD says use Winimage on the external SDcard, (I see it creates a number of partitions)
the next instruction is to reinsert it and format in FAT32, which wipes all the partitions so why use Winimage in the first place?

Some posters say format the internal SDcard as FAT32, others say don't format, others say wipe with all ones, another post says wipe with all Zeros, others say wipe then format FAT32...

Another says Use Winimage on the external SDcard and the partitions will be the same as the internal SDcard, two lines earlier the instructions were to remove all the partitions off the internal SDCard so they cannot be the same....!!

Even the Fonix232 fix has variations listed elsewhere which are omitted from the "GUIDE"

I spent Sunday trying to get the Herotab C8 working, it's now Tuesday night which I am surrounded by paper, SDCards and a growing pile of my hair where I am yanking it out in frustration.

I repeat my plea, GUIDE ME to the IDIOTS GUIDE to fixing my Herotab C8.... I cannot be the dumbest guy on the planet I'm sure there are other's who are "Android Challenged"

You're just confusing ... I use WinImage ONLY the external microSD ... follow the process of the User 90trax. Then remove the microsd INTERNAL "For this you will need to open your dropad" and format it in FAT32 "primary" and place it in the slot internal dropad ... and then follow the process 90trax, then just get to update, I did that and it worked!
Follow the instructions that I did for the User blindshark... For him it worked! :good: