#1 greenlaptops

greenlaptops

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSLC Utah

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:33 AM

WHY?
Very common question, why should I root my android device? There is no one answer for that, but consider rooting as "Jail Breaking" which provides you more freedom of your device by getting "Administrator" privileges. If you hate "Ads" on your device, you have to get "Ad Free" which also requires root access. If you want get rid of some bloatware or need to backup your device Apps you have to get "Titanium Back up" which also require root. The list goes on and on.

HOW?
We are very lucky that a great App named Z4root HERE by RyanZA comes up with this one click option, it is literally one click rooting/un-rooting option.It also install "Superuser app" in your device as well. Here is youtube video for your reference:

Its a good idea to slide your power button to "OFF" position and hold it for approx. 6 seconds to reset/reboot your device before "Rooting" procedure.

This App is not available in the "Market" anymore, please use the link below to download.

I am listing here some very useful Apps you might want to consider getting for your device/phone, off course after rooting:

Z4root: HERE Please not that only 1.3.0 version will work on PD Planet.
AdFree: HERE
Titanium Backup: HERE

PLEASE NOTE, I AM IN NO WAY TRYING TO CONVINCE YOU TO ROOT YOUR DEVICE, I AM JUST GIVING YOU IN AND OUTs. AT YOUR OWN RISK. THANKS.

Edited by greenlaptops, 08 July 2011 - 12:08 PM.

• sera1 likes this

#2 balrogbob

balrogbob

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:17 AM

Thank you for that very informative post. Autokiller actually interferes with the Gapps at this point, and I have made note of it in that thread. Soon, I will be releasing a pre-rooted firmware, with a swap file, overclocking kernel (need to port or make patches for the overclocking first) Which will make this even easier. Once again, Thank you. +1
I am...
KING OF THE PLANET!!! (Pandigital)

#3 greenlaptops

greenlaptops

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSLC Utah

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

Thank you for that very informative post. Autokiller actually interferes with the Gapps at this point, and I have made note of it in that thread. Soon, I will be releasing a pre-rooted firmware, with a swap file, overclocking kernel (need to port or make patches for the overclocking first) Which will make this even easier. Once again, Thank you. +1

First of all Thanks. Secondly, I want to make a request for your pre-rooted firmware, please add "Anti-Malware" in your pre-rooted firmware as well, it will be a piece of mind just like Kwelguy did in his ROM. Thanks again.

#4 d_sirius

d_sirius

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

Anyone having problems rooting their PDP with Z4Root?

I installed the program after applying the android market update. After selecting "permanent root", it goes to the "running exploit" screen and stays there.

I am running the 1.3.0 version

#5 nvrpayretail

nvrpayretail

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:29 AM

For me, z4root runs a loooooooooooong time, but does eventually end and the PDP is rooted. My advice, start it up, go have a cup of coffee and check back when you're done :D

#6 d_sirius

d_sirius

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

I was wondering if that was the case, that's why I started it last night at around 11:00pm. It was still on the same screen this morning at 6:00am. I would've liked to let it run, but I had to put it up out of the reach of little hands.

#7 greenlaptops

greenlaptops

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSLC Utah

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

For me, z4root runs a loooooooooooong time, but does eventually end and the PDP is rooted. My advice, start it up, go have a cup of coffee and check back when you're done :D

It definitely takes a long time, I think the more chache you have the more time it will take, but bottom line is,
it does its job, we are lucky that Z4root works with this release of Froyo 2.2.1, we are benefiting from that
loophole that Google already patched in later releases of Froyo 2.2.1 after that release its a pain in neck to
root, you have to use Superoneclick and Android drivers etc to root. I have a LG Optimus V and its a good example
of later releases of Froyo 2.2.1, Z4root didn't worked on that device. I had use LG drivers and superoneclick to
root it.

#8 greenlaptops

greenlaptops

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSLC Utah

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:42 AM

I was wondering if that was the case, that's why I started it last night at around 11:00pm. It was still on the same screen this morning at 6:00am. I would've liked to let it run, but I had to put it up out of the reach of little hands.

I would reboot and try again from the beginning. It happened to me once and that remedy worked.

#9 d_sirius

d_sirius

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

By reboot do you mean simply powering down and powering up again?

Tried that, after 2 hours it is still on the "Running exploit" screen. The circle graphic is still rotating so I guess it isn't frozen.

#10 greenlaptops

greenlaptops

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSLC Utah

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

By reboot do you mean simply powering down and powering up again?

Tried that, after 2 hours it is still on the "Running exploit" screen. The circle graphic is still rotating so I guess it isn't frozen.

OK, which FW you have on your PDP 06072011 or 06172011? and Did you already flashed with "Market Hack"?

Edited by greenlaptops, 01 July 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#11 wookie76

wookie76

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

With all my FW flashing mine would sometimes act a little squirrelly with Z4.

Are you sure you have USB Debugging enabled? It's under Settings / Applications / Development. Sometimes mine would "take" on Z4 after just plugging in the USB cable.

#12 d_sirius

d_sirius

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:29 AM

My FW is 06172011 and I have flashed with Market Hack

I did not have USB debugging enabled.

Enabled it, plugged usb in, started Z4 and selected permanent root.

It's been on the "running exploit" screen for about 2 hours now.

#13 greenlaptops

greenlaptops

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSLC Utah

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:53 AM

My FW is 06172011 and I have flashed with Market Hack

I did not have USB debugging enabled.

Enabled it, plugged usb in, started Z4 and selected permanent root.

It's been on the "running exploit" screen for about 2 hours now.

I am not sure but may be the the "Market Update" file is making problem for rooting, do you want to try reverting back to 06072911 stage without update LINK and try rooting. After that you can always flash with "Market Update" file later on. I know its little bit of work but I cannot think anything else right now. Good Luck

Edit: Please do not forget to to do a Factory reset if you decide to revert back to 06072011

Edited by greenlaptops, 02 July 2011 - 10:30 AM.

#14 wookie76

wookie76

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

I am not sure but may be the the "Market Update" file is making problem for rooting, do you want to try reverting back to 06072911 stage without update LINK and try rooting. After that you can always flash with "Market Update" file later on. I know its little bit of work but I cannot think anything else right now. Good Luck

Edit: Please do not forget to to do a Factory reset if you decide to revert back to 06072011

There's also the (French?) intermediate; I'm running FW 0715 (Named one ahead 06/15).
For some reason they put it in another dir - Up / Up / Tablets.

#15 greenlaptops

greenlaptops

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSLC Utah

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

There's also the (French?) intermediate; I'm running FW 0715 (Named one ahead 06/15).
For some reason they put it in another dir - Up / Up / Tablets.

Anything new in 07/15 or sameole sameole!

#16 d_sirius

d_sirius

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

Did a factory reset and reverted back to 06072011, turned on USB debugging and started Z4.

3 hours, still on "running exploit" screen.

Oh well, guess I just need to keep playing with it.

Thanks for the help

#17 wookie76

wookie76

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

Did a factory reset and reverted back to 06072011, turned on USB debugging and started Z4.

3 hours, still on "running exploit" screen.

Oh well, guess I just need to keep playing with it.

Thanks for the help

Man Alive, I don't know what to tell you!

You could try -
Wipe any SD cards with SD formatter
On startup, without changing FW's boot into the startup menu and clear cache, clear media and do the factory reset on the quasi "bios" screen.
Reboot and choose the Settings / Privacy / Factory Reset again.
Flash the FW again. I use 0715
Try Z4 again, there are many many version floating around, be sure it's the 1.3.0 Z4

#18 wookie76

wookie76

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

Anything new in 07/15 or sameole sameole!

Same same.
800mhz
On the ping-pong, uses Kindle, not Nook.

#19 greenlaptops

greenlaptops

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSLC Utah

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

Same same.
800mhz
On the ping-pong, uses Kindle, not Nook.

Thanks. Any improvements in Battery life and charging time?

#20 wookie76

wookie76

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

Thanks. Any improvements in Battery life and charging time?

No way to back up my perceptions, but...
Charge time feels greatly improved. Battery life is still not that impressive, but lasts long enough for my tastes. During the week that's just lunch break and the odd out and about wifi connection in the evening on the way home.
I've just trained myself to plug it in overnight, to paraphrase TheOnion, we've become slaves to glowing rectangles, haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users