Advanced and Potentially Dangerous Topic
Only proceed if you are completely comfortable with whatever outcome may happen.
(good, bad, or ugly)
UPDATED - 6-22-2011
For those that may be having issues getting the tablet to recognize.
Here is a package of drivers and an INF file I found that got mine working. (thanks Wayne Hall)
Link: MID816.com - Gingerbread Tablet Driver
MID816R2 - Running Android 2.3 - Gingerbread - Stock Base Image
Firmware Dated: 05-31-2011
I have uploaded the compressed .RAR file to the MID816.com website provided by our great Adrenalynn.
The file size is 208mb.
Link: MID816.com - Gingerbread 2.3.1 - Stock Image - 2011-06-13-MID816R2-StockBackupImage.rar
Remember this will FORMAT and ERASE your SD card.
I HIGHLY suggest making a backup image before replacing the existing one.
I also suggest trying to make a backup of any settings, saves, and personal data that you want to keep.
Titanium backup is usually suggested.
This is a STOCK basic image.
There are many ways to apply an image file to a MicroSD memory card.
Below was my process. (provided as reference if needed)
**NEW INSTRUCTIONS** (No UBCD/Reboot Needed) - (Thanks javaman1966 and MikWik)
THIS WILL FORMAT/WIPE YOUR CARD AND DATA
Download: LockDismount0300.zip - 23.24kb
Lock and Dismount
Link: MID816.com - LockDismount0300.zip
Roadkil's Disk Image 1.6
Link: MID816.com - DiskImage_1_6_WinAll_Setup.exe
Download: KNOPPIX_V6.4.3CD-2010-12-20-EN.iso - 700mb
Knoppix "Live" Boot CD v6.4.3
All of the above software (Knoppix is Optional)
External USB Card Reader for MicroSD
Physical Tablet Device
Backup any data you wish to keep before you begin
Remove the Internal MicroSD Card
To CREATE/RESTORE a Custom Image and Adjust Partition Sizes
1) Unzip LockDismount.exe
2) Install DiskImage - (optional at this time to Create Knoppix Boot CD)
3) Run LockDismount.exe (leave open) - **REQUIRED**
- Select the Appropriate USB Mass Storage Device
a) Check Force Dismount
4) Run Roadkil's DiskImage 1.6
- Select the Appropriate Physical Disk
a) Create a backup (store image) image of your existing MicroSD card
i) Write the custom image (write image) to the MicroSD card
5) Run LockDismount.exe
6) Bootup Knoppix "Live" CD (OPTIONAL)
a) Open GParted under Control Settings
adjust the 4 system partitions as you see fit
1) System (OS)
2) Apps (Internal app storage)
3) Cache (Temporary files)
4) Data (Personal/Public storage/access space)
Reinstall the Internal MicroSD Card
Boot your device.
1) Boot using Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
2) Remove MicroSD Card from the Tablet
3) Connect the MicroSD Card to the PC with a USB Adapter
4) Run Roadkills DiskImage v1.6
5) Create a backup (stored) image of the entire existing physical disk (for your safety net)
6) Write my image file to the included or replacement MicroSD card.
7) Reinstall the MicroSD in the tablet.
BOOT as normal
If you are "writing" the image to a larger MicroSD card, you can use Knoppix (Bootable) and GParted to adjust/increase the 4 seperate partition sizes.
- make sure you do not "mount" the drive as this locks the partitions and you simply need to unmount before you can modify it.
UBCD is booted on your desktop/laptop/home pc, not the tablet.
I can also share a created ISO... so you don't have to download the program and make one yourself.
Link: MID816.com - UBCD4Win_ReadyToGo.iso - 1.13GB
Just take that file and burn it with any imaging software to make your bootable disc.
Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows can be found HERE:
Link: MID816.com - UBCD4WinV360_BuildYourOwn.exe - 260mb
1) Create a "standard" bootable CD using the software
2) Boot your system from the CD Drive w/ the disc in place
3) Browse to the Disk and Imaging Utilities in the Start-->Programs
4) Open the imaging software
You can then backup your existing "physical disk" and then write my replacement one.
Knoppix is a CD/DVD Bootable Linux operating system.
You can use GParted to modify the "linux" partitions on the MicroSD Card.
Link: MID816.com - KNOPPIX_V6.2CD-2009-11-18-EN.iso - 680mb
This post has been edited by MrTasselhof: 22 June 2011 - 11:40 AM