• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sup3rHero

Sup3rHero

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

Ok, I have an 640GB external "Buffalo HD-PETU2 USB (TurboPC)" hard drive that I recently got & use it to store my movies on, but my tablet & other non-PC devices wont recognize it at all. When I plug it into my tablet, the tablet just loads & reboots continuously, & when I plug it into my "Philips DVD DivX Plus Ultra + USB 1080p upscaling Player" the external HD just makes a beeping sound & is also not recognized, & it does almost the same when I plug it into my PS3.

So my question is this, when i got the "Buffalo HD-PETU2 USB (TurboPC)" hard drive it does/has 2 partitions, the 1st partition (78MB) is the MBR (master boot record) which contains the "Buffalo Software Utilities" (turboPC, turbo copy, ramdisk utility, eco-manager & back-up/restore & format utilities) http://www.bhphotovi...t_HD_PETU2.html, & the 2nd partition contains 1,884 movies & TV shows using 465GB w/ 130GB free,,, so is that 1st partition keeping it from being able to be read by other non-pc devices, if so, is there a way to delete the 1st partition w/o losing my movies, or messing up the operation of the hard drive (not concerned about losing the ability to use those Buffalo Utilities) so it can be recognized by non-pc devices so i can watch my movies off the hard drive?

or is there something else wrong?, or if it is that 1st partition causing the issue, can that 1st partition w/ the Buffalo Utilities be moved to the 2nd partition & move the 2nd partition to the 1st partition (switching the partitions places) to keep my "Buffalo Utilities" on the hard drive.

whatever the case is, can somebody tell me what to do to get it to be recognized by non-pc devices, eg: 1. how do i delete the partition w/o losing my videos?, 2. if i can switch the partitions, how do i do that.

thanks a bunch

#2 arvind_gupta

arvind_gupta

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

I'm quite sure that all new external hard drives come NTFS pre-formatted which our tablets (and possibly other devices) cannot read from.

Plug it into a PC and see what filesystem is the second partition (FAT32 or NTFS).

Edited by arvind_gupta, 20 June 2011 - 09:38 PM.

Blog: Arvind Gupta
Dropbox Referral: Get 2GB free + 250 MB extra

#3 Sup3rHero

Sup3rHero

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

I'm quite sure that all new external hard drives come NTFS pre-formatted which our tablets (and possibly other devices) cannot read from.

Plug it into a PC and see what filesystem is the second partition (FAT32 or NTFS).

well i thought it had 2 partitions, b/c when i got it new, it had 2 (i think), b/c when i viewed its properties it said it had 78MB used, which i thought was a partition where the buffalo tools apps were located, & when i went to do a physical format it even mentioned something about deleting a partition, but i didnt do a physical format.
so i used the buffalo tools & EPM, my pc's HD is NTFS, & the external HD says FAT32, even when i right click/properties it says FAT32.

is there any other reason that these devices wont read it, is the drive to big?
see attached pics
Attached File  capture6.jpg   48.83KB   5 downloads,Attached File  capture1.jpg   34.55KB   4 downloads,Attached File  capture2.jpg   39.72KB   3 downloads,Attached File  capture3.jpg   33.7KB   3 downloads,Attached File  capture4.jpg   30.77KB   3 downloads,Attached File  capture5.jpg   120.67KB   3 downloads

Edited by Sup3rHero, 20 June 2011 - 11:22 PM.

#4 arvind_gupta

arvind_gupta

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

Does the HDD need external power supply?

The reason that I'm asking this is because maybe the tab isn't able to supply enough current if it's the case that the HDD runs off USB power.

#5 Sup3rHero

Sup3rHero

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

Does the HDD need external power supply?

The reason that I'm asking this is because maybe the tab isn't able to supply enough current if it's the case that the HDD runs off USB power.

no its usb powered, but even my dvd player (divx plus player w/ usb slot), & PS3 wont read it.
with tablet it just reboots, dvd & ps3 the hard drive beeps while pluged in, but never get recognized, could it be too big to be read by these devices

#6 arvind_gupta

arvind_gupta

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:44 AM

no its usb powered, but even my dvd player (divx plus player w/ usb slot), & PS3 wont read it.
with tablet it just reboots, dvd & ps3 the hard drive beeps while pluged in, but never get recognized, could it be too big to be read by these devices

If none of the devices are able to read it then maybe there's some problem with the filesystem, try to perform "scandisk" on it.

BTW, if I were you I would never plug the thing into my tab as it could easily burn the USB hub / chip of the tab.

#7 snake65

snake65

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:19 AM

Not sure if this helps but my external h/d does the same thing beeping wise and i found it was the cable.Cheap nasty ones dont seem to work to well.Let me know if it helps at all.
Cheers
John

#8 Sup3rHero

Sup3rHero

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

If none of the devices are able to read it then maybe there's some problem with the filesystem, try to perform "scandisk" on it.

BTW, if I were you I would never plug the thing into my tab as it could easily burn the USB hub / chip of the tab.

thanks, ill try,, i already did a defrag & it didnt find any bad sectors, but im sure "scandisk or disk doctor" will do a better job.

thanks too, im aware of those issues, happened to my ps2 w/ a 3rd party joy stick, but this USB HD is eco friendly & has a very low power consumption, but im not to concerned as much now, as i bought it mainly for the PS3, & now aware that the PS3 doesnt play .mkv files, which about 80% of the ~2,000 videos are in that format, which sucks b/c .mkv has the best compression w/ very very low quality loss, next to .mp4.

The H.264 (.mkv, .mp4 & a few others) standard is already set to supersede some of the formats that are commonplace today such as DV, the standard used by many consumer video cameras, and MPEG-2, the standard for DVD video and some types of cable TV and digital broadcast.
H.264/MPEG-4 (part 10) AVC is the codec used in Blu Ray content, which the PS3 supports (Blu Ray Disc), so im baffled at why the PS3 wont play my H.264 (.mkv) videos.

is there a way to get the PS3 to play .mkv files w/o modding it, b/c it just doesnt make sense that it plays H.264 (blu ray), but wont play other h.264 formats is beyond me.

#9 Sup3rHero

Sup3rHero

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

Not sure if this helps but my external h/d does the same thing beeping wise and i found it was the cable.Cheap nasty ones dont seem to work to well.Let me know if it helps at all.
Cheers
John

i tried other thicker/larger usb cables, but then the HD doesnt work right, it gets recognized by the device i plug it into, but it wont access the files, etc,,, it seems like the cable it came with is special or something.