• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sup3rHero

Sup3rHero

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

This is just an FYI, from reading etc, most of our tablets come with the app "RockPlayer", which is supposed to play most of the different video formats out there, & well it does, but ive found that it doesnt play 720p .mkv files very well, the 720p .mkv vids are either pixelated, stuttery, fuzzy or the audio gets out of sync, (not sure about HD vids in other formats, like .avi, .mp4). Rockplayer does play 480p .mkv files fine as far as i can tell, but IMHO, the BEST video player for our Herotab 816 is called "DicePlayer", as it plays my 720p .mkv files perfectly & clear just like they should be. A runner up app to "DicePlayer" is "Best VPlayer Pro", which also does a better job with .mkv files VS "RockPlayer" & its FREE, but still not as good as "DicePlayer".

At this point, i dont think there are any apps that support 1080p .mkv playback, thats clear & smooth.

So for perfect clear & smooth HD 720p BlueRay .mkv video playback go with "DicePlayer".

Ill do some more testing with different HD video formats @ 1080p (.avi & .mp4), & see which player works the best with them, & post the results here.

#2 arvind_gupta

arvind_gupta

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

This is just an FYI, from reading etc, most of our tablets come with the app "RockPlayer", which is supposed to play most of the different video formats out there, & well it does, but ive found that it doesnt play 720p .mkv files very well, the 720p .mkv vids are either pixelated, stuttery, fuzzy or the audio gets out of sync, (not sure about HD vids in other formats, like .avi, .mp4). Rockplayer does play 480p .mkv files fine as far as i can tell, but IMHO, the BEST video player for our Herotab 816 is called "DicePlayer", as it plays my 720p .mkv files perfectly & clear just like they should be. A runner up app to "DicePlayer" is "Best VPlayer Pro", which also does a better job with .mkv files VS "RockPlayer" & its FREE, but still not as good as "DicePlayer".

At this point, i dont think there are any apps that support 1080p .mkv playback, thats clear & smooth.

So for perfect clear & smooth HD 720p BlueRay .mkv video playback go with "DicePlayer".

Ill do some more testing with different HD video formats @ 1080p (.avi & .mp4), & see which player works the best with them, & post the results here.

Will check those out.

I've tried MoboPlayer and QQPlayer and they played 720p mkv's fine.
Blog: Arvind Gupta
Dropbox Referral: Get 2GB free + 250 MB extra

#3 Sup3rHero

Sup3rHero

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

Ok, I did some testing with 4 different 33sec HD 1080p video files (1920x1080 @ 6.1 AAC 48,000), & the file formats are: .mov, .avi, .mp4, .mkv, & tested with 3 different video players, & the Native MediaPlayer.

Original file was the .mov & did an EXACT conversion to other formats, same bitrate, etc

1. Rock Player 1.7.2: Results = player recognizes all 4 formats
1st - .mov = clear but choppy playback with hissing/ringing muted & unsynced audio
2nd - .avi = clear but choppy playback with clear audio but stops after 10sec
3rd - .mp4 = clear but choppy playback with hissing/ringing muted & unsynced audio
4th - .mkv = clear/pixelated but choppy playback with hissing/ringing muted & unsynced audio

2. DicePlayer 1.1.7: Results = player recognizes only 3 formats
1st - .avi = clear/perfect playback of both video & audio
2nd - .mp4 = clear/perfect playback of video but no audio
3rd - .mkv = clear but very choppy playback with hissing/ringing muted & unsynced audio

3. Best VPlayer Pro 1.0.0: Results = player recognizes all 4 formats
1st - .mov = clear but choppy playback with clear semi unsynced audio
2nd - .avi = clear but choppy playback with clear semi unsynced audio
3rd - .mp4 = clear/pixelated but choppy playback with clear unsynced audio
4th - .mkv = clear/pixelated but choppy playback with clear unsynced audio

4. Native Stock Media Player: Results = player recognizes only 2 formats
1st - .mp4 = clear/perfect playback of video but no audio
2nd - .avi = wont open file

Conclusion: seems DicePlayer is the best for most HD videos 720p & up, but really is best for HD videos 720p & under, but doesnt recognize .mov files with Best VPlayer as runner up, but REMEMBER THESE ARE 1080p files w/ 6.1 AAC 48,000 audio.
*** there might be an issue w/ the .mp4 file as there is no audio when i play it on my PC, so if I can fix that, DicePlayer wins.***
So IMHO we should keep @ least 2 Players on our Tablets to get the most/best video support.

Yes there are other players I didnt list, like moboplayer, act1 player & others that claim to play HD 720p videos, with only a few that will play 1080p.

Edited by Sup3rHero, 18 June 2011 - 11:26 PM.

#4 Sup3rHero

Sup3rHero

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

Will check those out.

I've tried MoboPlayer and QQPlayer and they played 720p mkv's fine.

thanks, ill check those out, along with some others like "act1" & post back

#5 KQuark

KQuark

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

OK this may be a dunce point but why would it be advantageous to play 1080p (1920X1080) video on a 800X600 screen anyway?

Wouldn't 720p be pushing the screen resolution as it is?

I'm probable woefully ignorant but my simple maths mind can't see why 1080p would look better than 720p if the screen resolution is the limiting factor anyway. It could also explain some of the difficulties rendering 1080p movies even with a good processor.

The only way I could see that the 1080p would matter is if you are linking the MID816 to an HD devise using the HDMI connection.

Edited by KQuark, 27 July 2011 - 01:06 PM.

#6 ricardo70

ricardo70

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:02 AM

Ok, I did some testing with 4 different 33sec HD 1080p video files (1920x1080 @ 6.1 AAC 48,000), & the file formats are: .mov, .avi, .mp4, .mkv, & tested with 3 different video players, & the Native MediaPlayer.

Original file was the .mov & did an EXACT conversion to other formats, same bitrate, etc

1. Rock Player 1.7.2: Results = player recognizes all 4 formats
1st - .mov = clear but choppy playback with hissing/ringing muted & unsynced audio
2nd - .avi = clear but choppy playback with clear audio but stops after 10sec
3rd - .mp4 = clear but choppy playback with hissing/ringing muted & unsynced audio
4th - .mkv = clear/pixelated but choppy playback with hissing/ringing muted & unsynced audio

2. DicePlayer 1.1.7: Results = player recognizes only 3 formats
1st - .avi = clear/perfect playback of both video & audio
2nd - .mp4 = clear/perfect playback of video but no audio
3rd - .mkv = clear but very choppy playback with hissing/ringing muted & unsynced audio

3. Best VPlayer Pro 1.0.0: Results = player recognizes all 4 formats
1st - .mov = clear but choppy playback with clear semi unsynced audio
2nd - .avi = clear but choppy playback with clear semi unsynced audio
3rd - .mp4 = clear/pixelated but choppy playback with clear unsynced audio
4th - .mkv = clear/pixelated but choppy playback with clear unsynced audio

4. Native Stock Media Player: Results = player recognizes only 2 formats
1st - .mp4 = clear/perfect playback of video but no audio
2nd - .avi = wont open file

Conclusion: seems DicePlayer is the best for most HD videos 720p & up, but really is best for HD videos 720p & under, but doesnt recognize .mov files with Best VPlayer as runner up, but REMEMBER THESE ARE 1080p files w/ 6.1 AAC 48,000 audio.
*** there might be an issue w/ the .mp4 file as there is no audio when i play it on my PC, so if I can fix that, DicePlayer wins.***
So IMHO we should keep @ least 2 Players on our Tablets to get the most/best video support.

Yes there are other players I didnt list, like moboplayer, act1 player & others that claim to play HD 720p videos, with only a few that will play 1080p.

I have Dice player running an it plays all now afther many updates i love it plays 1080p mkv and mov very good .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users