Android Tablets Forum banner

[GUIDE] Fool proof install for stock 4349 (1.1 to 1.2 upgrade path)

26K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  badboy303 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Fool proof way to install 4349:

The reason there are so many steps is that they are broken down so that each step is basically one menu action. Follow EVERY step. Yes there are easier ways, this way ensures that your tablet is absolutly stock and wiped of all traces of other roms.

What you need:

1. A g Tablet with CWM 0.8 recovery (doesn't matter what ROM)
2. A stock 3588 image renamed to 'stock3588update.zip' (http://tapntap.http.internapcdn.net/tapntap/viewsonic/update-smb_a1002-3588-user.zip)
3. A stock 4349 image renamed to 'update.zip' (http://tapntap.http.internapcdn.net/tapntap/viewsonic/update-smb_a1002-4349-user.zip)
4. A folder called recovery with a file in it called COMMAND inside it with the following line of text:
Code:
--update_package=SDCARD:/update.zip
4. Calkulin's Format_all.zip (attached here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11946224&postcount=1)

NB: SDCARD refers to the internal storage. This is how cwm .8 and most 1.1 roms refer to it.

Step 1: Ensure there is nothing on your g tablet you want. NOTHING!

Step 2: Boot to CWM recovery with Pwr and Vol+

Step 3: Go to the "mounts and storage" menu

Step 4: Choose "mount USB storage"

Step 5: Confirm there is nothing you want to save on your SD card. If there is anything you want, save it now.

Step 6: "Unmount" and go back to the main CWM Recover Menu

Step 7: Choose "advanced"

Step 8: Choose "Partition SD Card"

Step 9: Choose 2048M for Ext size

Step 10: Choose 0M for swap size

Step 11: Watch it Partioning SD Card, then when complete once again mount USB storage as in steps 3/4

Step 12: Load onto the SD Card: Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL.zip, stock3588update.zip, update.zip (this is the 4349 file), the recovery folder with the command file inside it. Your Sdcard should look like the attached screen grab Handwriting Rectangle Font Circle Pattern

Step 13: Unmount and return to main menu of CWM.

Step 14: Choose "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" and select "Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL.zip" (this is just a time saver, on later CWM versions this may not work, it is the same as formatting data, cache, system, and boot manually from mounts and storage menu)

Step 15: Proceed with the install, once finished select "choose zip from sdcard" and select "stock3588update.zip"

Step 16: Once it completes, go to the CWM recovery main menu then power off with the power button.

Step 17: Boot up into recovery with PWR and Vol+. This will initiate the 4349 install using the stock recovery.

Step 18: Watch your tablet boot into a bone stock 4349 rom.

An optional starting point for this is to use nvflash (back to stock recovery or CWM recovery) to repartition everything first to make fully sure all partitions are as they should be.

Yes it is faster to use nvflash to go straight to 4349 now that the option is available, but not that much faster. And with so many people on 1.1 ROM's with CWM saying "How do I get to 1.2 ROMs," I think this is a useful guide.

This a a repost of what I orignally posted on XDA here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1039000

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I finally decided to take the plunge and install Roebeet's a4.0 HC port. I've spent the last 12 hours (with a little time out for sleep) trying to get back to a stock ROM from VEGAn Tab 5.1.1 beta. I was going in circles (my fault - I'm sure I missed an important instruction on each aborted attempt).

Then I stumbled across your post and carefully followed each step - and I'm finally on a stock 4939 ROM and ready to try the HC Port.

Your guidance is greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
Excellent, man. I think this will come in majorly handy. I've seen this at other site and thought it was very good.

Thanks

#4 ·
Please make this a sticky. Thanks.

I will revert to this when people have questions abou it.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am having trouble with the "fool proof" guide to get me on the 1.2 path.

1. I have a problem with this step:

"Step 11: Watch it Partioning SD Card, then when complete once again mount USB storage as in steps 3/4"

Am I just supposed to go to the menu that says "Mount USB Storage" and hit it then go back to the main menu without hitting unmount? I have tried both leaving the menu without hitting unmount and hitting unmount. Neither show any difference when finding zip files on the SD card.

2. If I ignore that, when I go to choose a zip from sd card it says "No files found."

I have tried different SD cards and I tried formatting them on my desktop in FAT32 and 16 and it won't see the files. Is the author of the guide saying in some way that I have to push (via adb or whatever) to the internal?

what am I missing?

Link: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/18607-guide-fool-proof-install-for-stock-4349-11-to-12-upgrade-path/

#7 ·
Solved. It was a matter of comprehension. not knowing that any time "SD Card" was stated was a reference to just the internal kinda messed with me. Thanks to anyone who took a look and wondered what I was on about.

#11 ·
I followed the instructions for this exactly and everything went with out a problem until I try to install apps, ever time I click and app to install I get the permissions screen, I press install and the screen goes blank then the tapntap screen come up and then the home screen. any ideas?

#12 ·
This is excellent! I was able to do this with no problems after I read it clearly. Just followed directions exactly as shown and it worked great! I did make a few mistakes at first going from 3588 on 1.1 up to 1.2, but it was because I did not realize that I was not putting only the recovery folder and update.zip file on. Also needed to allow it to replace the recovery and update.zip files that were already on there after I backed up.

Now I have changed to Brilliant Corners and like it a lot as compared to stock. Good experience to learn how to change roms. Really appreciate this.

Thanks Much!

#15 ·
I dont get 4. About the recovery folder and COMMANDtext....can syumonen please show or explain this to me thoroughly bc im planning to switcgh to bl 1.2.... pleaaase i hope someone replies!!!!!

#16 ·
Maybe I can help here. Can you elaborate a little on what is causing the confusion? Remember, there are instructions included in the original post of all ROM threads. Most have step by step. This here is a great primer for jumping from the 1.1 to 1.2 bootloader ROMs. If this is confusing you, then take a look at the OP of the ROM you are planning to move to.

#18 ·
Ok I finally figured it out sir! My new question is....after doing this am I given the 250mb needed for the newer Honeycomb ROMs to run properly? I heard that this may give my Gtab only 200mb? Please verify

#19 ·
Yes, this particular NVFlash here will give only normal system size. Take Flashback for example, there is a special NVFlash option on the opening post that will create the 250mb partition needed to accommodate the larger ROM size.

#21 ·
I just want to make sure I understand this before I attempt anything. I currently have a g tablet with the 1.1 bootloader on it and if I just run nvflash with the 1.2 boot loader on it, it will switch it over, no problem?

The thing is, I'm not finding many roms that I like for the 1.1 boot loader and all of the recommendations that I have received are all for 1.2 roms. Vegantab is ok but I hear there are better options, if I could just switch over. So if i just run the 1.2 nvflash the same way I have run the 1.1 before, I can install any of the 1.2 roms onto my gtab?

Not unless there really aren't any other froyo or gingerbread roms are better than vegantab. Then I just won't bother.

#22 ·
Yeah, there are forums on here and on XDA with walk-throughs of how to flash either BL. It's really easy, I also had 1.1 and updated to 1.2. You can always switch back and forth, once you read the how-to and do it you will understand. It's awesome that these things are un-brickable, this is alot less stressful than when I used to root and rom my cell phone!

#24 ·
I don't understand these instructions cuz ur leaving something very obvious out.... The part where you plug into a computer! I don't understand mounting and unmounting that much. How do you "load" those files onto the sd? I've installed gtabcomb simply by putting the roms on one of those microsd cards, boot into clockworkmod and install zip from sd after wiping data. Why is flashback rom so complicated? I've also read that you can jump from 1.1 to 1.2 as long as I'm switching from a 1.1 based rom like gtabcomb. 3.3bl1.1. So would I be able to take the 4349 file and flashback rom and put them on a sd card go into cwm wipe everything and just install zip from sd? No computers involved! Please help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.