LG Smart TV Keyboard App

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RCKr

RCKr

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

This TV has a nice web browser capability but entering text for URL's or web searches is a real pain in the butt. LG expects owners to use either a Wii type RF mouse or their IR remote to type (by point & click) the text on an "on-screen" keyboard. It can be done, but it's cumbersome, slow & prone to typing errors.

So I'm looking for an app to install on my Android 2.2 tablet (Coby MID 8024) which can be used along with a wire connected USB keyboard to enter the on-screen text by wirelss. Over simplifying; I would type on the USB keyboard which would then send the commands by wireless to the TV keyboard display. This is currently being done on Samsung or Sony Smart TVs as well as some set top boxes. The TV itself is not compatible with a wired USB keyboard.

Your suggestions &/or ideas will be much appreciated.

Best regards, Richard

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

#2 vadim62

vadim62

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:10 AM

This TV has a nice web browser capability but entering text for URL's or web searches is a real pain in the butt.

You can try virtual keyboard for Smart TV: http://www.softcorpo...on.com/smarttv/

It was made for Samsung Smart TV, but should work with LG too. On Samsung TV it works with regular remote control and you can type, for example, "Lord of the Rings" in 4 clicks (besides moving cursor). The you just click button, for example "Youtube" to search for video.
I like that it allows entering text in other languages, like Spanish, Russian, etc. On Samsung I set it as a homepage for TV browser.

Note, if you try it using regular PC, you need to use mouse and it may not work properly in IE 7 browser, only 8 and 9, but Firefox and others should work fine.

#3 acker

acker

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

Another useful page that makes typing easier is keyboard.happstor.com. The page makes it possible to type any character by pressing two numeric keys subsequentially on your IR remote. It does not require to use the navigation keys to select a character. It is free and works fine on LG smart TV-s but I guess it works with other smart TV-s with Javascript supported WEB browsers. The access to the page is free and can be used for entering URLs and search strings in Google or Wikipedia. If you like it then save its URL into the favourites so you won't need to retype its URL next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users