49 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Calver

Roger Calver

Firmware Dev

• Global Moderators
  • 2,737 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:12 PM

Slatedroid Singularity M008s BETA v2 is available now.
Please use this thread for comments/feedback and your suggestions.
Thanks to HCH for his earlier works on the Via 8650 tablets that I hadnt given proper credit for.
Download link http://173.255.228.138/%7Erogercalver/
There is also a wallpaper pack in the Singularity M009s directory !

Slatedroid Singularity M008s BETA v2

Change Log :

Based on the updated Eken 1.3.0 build,
added to allow for rooting and Z4root.apk included to enable,
Build.prop edited for branding also fingerprint changed to give full Market access,
Bloatware removed,
Slatedroid Singularity bootlogo added,
Gapps added, Market & Gmail already installed,

Apps Removed/changed (not bloatware),

File Broswer,
Old Youtube,
Phone.apk changed to phone.bak

Apps Added,

Amazon Kindle,
Estrongs File Manager,
Rockplayer Lite,
YouTube 2.1.6 HQ,
Dolphin Browser HD,
Launcher Pro,
K9Mail,
Go Launcher,
Titanium Backup (Free),
Skyfire Browser 4.0,
Home Chooser Flow (Free),

Post Install Instructions,

You may need to run a screen calibration,
Once you have logged into Market do the Market flush as per the thread to enable the full Market,

Rog.
  • jimjamz and like this
Slatedroid Singularity

#2 Roger Calver

Roger Calver

Firmware Dev

• Global Moderators
  • 2,737 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:32 AM

Update

Slatedroid Singularity

#3 egenma

egenma

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

Downloading!
Thank you ;-)

#4 egenma

egenma

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hello.

Well, I installed Singularity in my M008S and it's wonderful! Really, like a brand new tablet.
Compared to the stock firmware, now it's very responsive and fast.
The touchscreen is great, you can actually type using the keyboard now, before you had to do it in slow motion!
It also does support 2 points multitouch. I'm really impressed!!

Well, as Roger asks for feedback, here are also some strange things I noticed:

1) When booting, the tablet reports kernel 2.6.32 and firmware 1.2.3, but it was supposed to be based on firmware 1.3.0! Is this correct?
2) Right after installing, the camera didn't work. I had to restart for the market fix and after that the camera started working.
3) Using the web browser, a message like "This copy of Adobe Flash is for evaluation" appears when there's Flash content.
4) Market is not fully open, I noticed many missing apps (also tried the Skype search test and it's not there)

A BIG THANK YOU!!

#5 jimjamz

jimjamz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

Took me a while to finally get it on but I can already tell it's way faster than stock.

Still have a few bugs to figure out but thanks for all your work Roger!

#6 egenma

egenma

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

A new update after some more testing:

After doing the market fix again, now it seems to work well. Now I can find Skype, Google apps, etc.
So you just need to repeat the market fix if it doesn't show all apps.

The camera is acting weird. After a restart, it showed the image only partially and with green colors.
I restarted again and now it works, color is normal but the image is smaller than it should, it doesn't fill the whole area...
only after the first restart after installing Singularity it worked really well, but never again!
Any idea about how to fix this?

#7 jimjamz

jimjamz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

How do I do the market fix? I looked but couldn't find anything.

#8 egenma

egenma

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:07 AM

Hello

This is the market fix procedure (copy-pasted from somewhere else in the forums):

Open Android Market and then Click on Home (launcher)

Go to Settings->Applications->Manage->Running
- Click Market
- Then Clear Cache (NOT CLEAR DATA!!!!)
- Then Force Stop
- Click Google Services Framework
- Click Clear Data
- Click Force Stop

Open Android Market (it will error this is GOOD!)

Shutdown and Restart the tablet
- Wait for Wireless to Kick In
- Wait for System to Finish Loading

Open Android Market
- If it opens without an error GREAT!
- If it opens with the same error... give it a couple minutes or multiple tries at opening (it will go through)

Hope this helps!
  • jimjamz likes this

#9 egenma

egenma

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:13 AM

Hello again

Well, I could fix the camera rebooting a few times. After the second attempt it's working "well".
Image shows correctly in the Camera application, but if I try barcode scanner, it's all garbled.
Still waiting for comments from others about this!

Also, I'm very interested about the firmware version, as I stated before:
When booting, the tablet reports kernel 2.6.32 and firmware 1.2.3, but it was supposed to be based on firmware 1.3.0! Is this correct?

Could someone clarify if this should be like this?

Thank you.

#10 Bhav

Bhav

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:52 AM

Hey guys! I tried to install it and it worked fine initially. Then, I found that though it showed that my wifi was on it could not find my home wifi network that it was being able to locate earlier. The camera also crashes and has not worked at all - it force closes every time. Any ideas?

Bhav.

#11 egenma

egenma

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hello

I never had problems connecting to my wifi, I use WPA2 if that could give some clue.
About the camera, mine works only some times. It was working a couple of days ago, but today it only shows a black screen.
I suspect it's a framebuffer problem, because one of the times it failed I could permanently see the last frame of a recently played youtube video instead of the camera image.
It never happened to me that it forcedly closes or crashes, it just stays black.

#12 Bhav

Bhav

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:16 AM

Hello

I never had problems connecting to my wifi, I use WPA2 if that could give some clue.
About the camera, mine works only some times. It was working a couple of days ago, but today it only shows a black screen.
I suspect it's a framebuffer problem, because one of the times it failed I could permanently see the last frame of a recently played youtube video instead of the camera image.
It never happened to me that it forcedly closes or crashes, it just stays black.

Yes, thanks. I did manage to get my wifi to work correctly and now have access to the Google market as well. Thanks, singularity! However, my camera still does not work. It always force closes. :( Anyone written to Eken about this? I have an generic Eken clone so I can't write to them sadly. Any idea which launcher is the best / uses the least resources?

Thanks!

Bhav.

#13 benny2580

benny2580

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:25 AM

Yes, thanks. I did manage to get my wifi to work correctly and now have access to the Google market as well. Thanks, singularity! However, my camera still does not work. It always force closes. :( Anyone written to Eken about this? I have an generic Eken clone so I can't write to them sadly. Any idea which launcher is the best / uses the least resources?

Thanks!

Bhav.

hello mr. Bhav,

i have the same problem as yours my eken m008s was working ok with slatedroid singularity. the problem is the camera always force close and the hold botton is not functioning anymore.. i hope you find your solution.. please let me know if you find something about it... thank you have a great day....

#14 benny2580

benny2580

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

hello Mr. Roger Calver sir, i have an eken m008s 9.7 inch tablet wm8650... i try your modded firmware and its meraculously fast its great you have a verry awesome skills and talent... the only thing is my camera every time opened it it says force close... you are the only one can help me and the others with this kind of problem. i hope you reconsider modifying it again.. i mean the firmware for eken m008s BETA V2... i hope you can make it as a finish product... thank you so much....

#15 benny2580

benny2580

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:37 AM

Hello again

Well, I could fix the camera rebooting a few times. After the second attempt it's working "well".
Image shows correctly in the Camera application, but if I try barcode scanner, it's all garbled.
Still waiting for comments from others about this!

Also, I'm very interested about the firmware version, as I stated before:
When booting, the tablet reports kernel 2.6.32 and firmware 1.2.3, but it was supposed to be based on firmware 1.3.0! Is this correct?

Could someone clarify if this should be like this?

Thank you.

hello egenma, did you figure out whats wrong with the camera of your tablet? mine has thesame problem.. i hope you can message me here for update for that matter... thank you so much..

#16 egenma

egenma

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:32 PM

Hello benny2580

For the moment I could not solve the problem with the camera. My camera works for some time after rebooting the table, but I suspect some software is misconfiguring it later because I always end up with a black screen.
In my case the application doesn't force close, it just shows a black image or a garbled one (sometimes partial image, sometimes green, etc.)

I hope Mr Calver will be kind enough to check this thread when he's got some spare time and perhaps give some clues to us!

#17 benny2580

benny2580

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

Hello benny2580

For the moment I could not solve the problem with the camera. My camera works for some time after rebooting the table, but I suspect some software is misconfiguring it later because I always end up with a black screen.
In my case the application doesn't force close, it just shows a black image or a garbled one (sometimes partial image, sometimes green, etc.)

I hope Mr Calver will be kind enough to check this thread when he's got some spare time and perhaps give some clues to us!

hello egenma, thanks for your reply... by the way we are using thesame firmware by Mr.Calver the beta v2 right? it means that Mr.calver are still modifying it before he launch the final version.. im hoping that Mr. Calver still doing it and launch it soon.... have a nice day..

#18 Bhav

Bhav

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

Update

Dear Roger,

Any update on the next version of Singularity? Eken has just uploaded the new version on their firmware and also divided it into two different sub-mobels for the M008S - type 1 and type 2 (whatever that means). Will you be creating an updated firmware as well based on this new release, seeing as the old one has frame and buffer issues with the camera? Hope you can give us a new updated version of the Singularity firmware - looking forward to it personally! Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Bhav.

#19 egenma

egenma

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

Hello

It's strange!!
The new firmware at Eken site has version 1.2.3, but there was a version 1.3.0 for the M008S some days ago!
I wonder why did they take the versions back... :-(

#20 blasterj

blasterj

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

Hello,
I've installed this Fw on my eken m008s 9.7 inch tablet wm8650 and look better then the original...got a problem with movies...cannot see them;
seems movie crash as soon as it start I just can see some frames..
Someone try it?
Any suggestion?

tkx in adv
Blasterj