Photo

Cruz T301 (2gb) Doesn't Work With Wall Charger...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ami

Ami

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSpokane, Washington

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:01 AM

My new cruz won't even recognize that there's a wall charger hooked up to it and a socket and I've tried several sockets, updated the firmware and everything. I WILL however charge the battery when I hook the usb cable up to the computer like during file transfers. My question is this: I happen to own, (though it's being borrowed right now so I can't test this theory), a dual usb cigarette/car/wall charger. It has two usb ports on the bottom and folds out to show where you stick it into a car's cigarette lighter and the other end of it it for a wall socket. I am wondering if the usb wall/car charger would work to charge my tablet because the power would be going into the usb port instead of into/through the dc-out port. Thanks!

~Ami

#2 Kevdroid

Kevdroid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:25 AM

If it is through a USB you would think that there is a transformer in your charging device that would convert the electricity so that it won't fry your device. If the wall charger does not work and it's brand new you should probably contact VM about that. Sounds like you got a bad charger.

#3 Ami

Ami

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

If it is through a USB you would think that there is a transformer in your charging device that would convert the electricity so that it won't fry your device. If the wall charger does not work and it's brand new you should probably contact VM about that. Sounds like you got a bad charger.

I wonder about that. I also have the r101 reader and I also tried it's charger, but I'm not sure if they're compatible or not. Regardless, it didn't work with that charger either. Oh, and I meant dc-IN btw.

I already contacted VM about it and hopefully they'll get back to me. In the meantime...I will cross my fingers that the usb wall charger works without the frying. :(

Thank you for replying so fast, too, btw. Have a great weekend!

#4 Kevdroid

Kevdroid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

I've heard (I can't remember where) that people who tried using the charger from the Cruz Readers actually fried their Cruz tablets. Even though they look the same apparently they are not.....

#5 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:32 AM

Ami:

I have T301 as well and it will not charge from the 5 Volt AC Adapter only by using the USB Cable. The Readers have a 12 Volt system and they "ARE NOT THE SAME" even though they have the same size connector. I have contacted VM and was told that I can send it back for a replacement but have yet to do so. They do not admit to any problems with the DC In operation but it appears there is one.

Fred

#6 rushman

rushman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:37 AM

It had this same problem but notice it did charge eventually. Might be a similar thing as the reader, where the charge light does not come on if the device is on, only when powered down. Odd and the source of some confusion, anyway not sure as I returned by Tablet and stuck with the Reader (just as it is easier to play with Android on the Reader).

Anyway if someone can check if the device charge light is off when powered up and on when powered down this might be the issue.

#7 Ami

Ami

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

Well, I took my tablet to my computer-less grandmother's for two weeks and my sister gave me back the dual mini-usb wall/car charger I let her borrow and so far it's been working with that either connected to the wall or the car cig lighter port/hole (porthole lol) with no problems. Much faster charging than usb via pc charging. Though, I've been noting a strange thing: After a night/day of charging via the usb wall charger the battery indicator animation will show it's only partially charged but after I restart the device it will show it as fully charged and behave accordingly. Battery life is amazingly long, too. I didn't charge it for a full 10 or 11 hours and it was still going strong with a percentage of 30/40 battery life left at the 12th or 13th hour of it being on and being played with off and on.

~Ami

#8 Kedar7

Kedar7

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

Hi,
I had purchased t301 last, but just today when I tried to recharge it, when I connected the charger it showed white screen with lines on t301 screen .so I took off the charger connection & then I tried to start .but it never starts .Any idea ?
Thanks

#9 PcCowboy

PcCowboy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:38 PM

I've heard (I can't remember where) that people who tried using the charger from the Cruz Readers actually fried their Cruz tablets. Even though they look the same apparently they are not.....

Your right the R103 and the T103 chargers looks the same and fits the same. But the R103 charger will fry a T103 cause the voltage is different.
Don't know about other models.

#10 Ami

Ami

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

My sister has the 4gb version of the t301 that works fine with the wall charger it came with so, considering our tablets are basically the same save for the amount of internal memory they come with I decided to try using her wall charger with my tablet to find out if maybe the problem is that my charger is dysfunctional or something. Well, it did not recognize her wall charger at all.

However, she was borrowing my dual mini-usb wall/car cig-lighter charger for her other electronics and I got that back from her. I am happy to report a few months later that that little device has been a godsend. I just plug the usb cord from my tablet to the usb charger to the wall or car lighter hole if I'm going someplace with someone and it charges beautifully. It also holds a charge for more than twelve hours which is very, very nice. The usb charger I have is one where you can charge two usb-compatible devices, like an ipod or a cell phone, tablet etc, at the same time by either the wall or a cigarette lighter hole in a car or truck. I got it at Walmart for about twenty bucks. Well worth every cent.

Take care and happy Cruzin'!

~Ami

#11 PcCowboy

PcCowboy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

Hmmm--that mini-charger you got from Wal-mart sounds like the same one I got from Wal-mart. Only I paid $4.99 for it. I guess everything is cheaper down here in Texas. LOL

#12 Ami

Ami

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Hi! Just wanted to pop in to say that it's been a year and though my Tablet's dc-in port still won't work but that the dual USB wall-and-car charger I bought at Walmart is still working great and that I also use it to charge me and my boyfriend's iTouchs (or is it iTouches?).

I also got a wifi router for christmas and it has a USB port on the side which I found out can be used to charge my tablet. So most of the time my dual charger is being used to charge our two iPods and the wifi router is charging my tablet via its USB port. So, I don't care anymore about the defective dc-in port as I have found other, sustainable ways of keeping my Tablet's battery charged, one of which has been working good for a little over a year. Let's hope it keeps it up!

~Ami

#13 Schnuh330

Schnuh330

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

not sure if this is the case but most newer devices have a small soldered-on-board fuse between all power inputs. perhaps your charger had a voltage spike and popped that fuse.