35 replies to this topic

#1 Sm0k3d0uT

Sm0k3d0uT

The Hand That Smites

• Global Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

The user base has really grown since I first moderating this section.

For awhile it was just a couple of us posting and exchanging info our tablets.
Over the last few months the user base has exploded, new sections were added and our once little section has now become one of the largest on the site.

First of all this could not happen with out you the users and developers.
I personally want to thank you the users and developers for making this section bigger than I could have imagined (really thought XDA had a lock on the G-Tab users).

Now I'd like to hear what to your suggestions on how we can improve the section.
Us the staff can make all the improvements we think will benefit you, but only a user would know what user needs.

So lets hear it.

What Improvements would you like to see.

I am not promising any and all changes will happen overnight (I have been having internet issues and I'm usually only active when I am at work, Damn Comcast can't figure out why I have phone and cable working but no internet signal coming through the line) but I will implement what I can when I can to make a better user experience for you guys.

#2 GoinEasy9

GoinEasy9

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

So far I like the way the GTab section is set up. The only suggestion I would make would be a separate section for confirmed how-to's. I made a post on the adb how-to that I updated from an earlier post on that other website, but, if that thread were in a separate How-To section, the newer users (and I am one of them), might find the info easier.
Stuff like, how to flash a new kernel, or do a nvflash install, set up like roebeet has it so it can be used simply, or, how to experiment with market problems, with different approaches. The info is all here, it's just spread out.
I know that for something like the Honeycomb alpha, the how-to really changes frequently, so, I'm not thinking things like that should be included (I did say CONFIRMED how-to's), but, stable roms could be included, although the OP for each rom has this already. Just typing out loud. When I first started playing with the G Tablet, going through all the how-to's and choosing the correct one was my biggest task.

Edited by GoinEasy9, 23 May 2011 - 07:25 PM.

• Sm0k3d0uT likes this

#3 tjevans

tjevans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

Really, there is only one person to thank for the migration of people from XDA...Roebeet. Had he chosen another forum, we'd all be there instead. I've actually been switching between the 2 forums because XDA seems to have more people posting, while SLD has more informative posts and helpful members.

One thing that neither site has, but would be most helpful is a section specifically for the differences between 1.1 bootloader roms and 1.2 bootloader roms. A comprehensive section to send people from either forum to get the informaiton that they need. NOT a section dedicated to which is better, just one that lists things like the roms that work on each, and links for downloading them and the instructions for doing so...even if we need to link to XDA. Might as well accept that some people are not going to come here, but limitting the informaiton available ot new users does them a greater disservice.

SO, within the new section will be LOCKED stickies, not a discussion section, just an information section...
included in it will need to be manuals indicating the 1.1 roms (active AND retired) the 1.2 Roms, the differences with the CWM versions. The Kernels for both. Install instructions to go from 1.1 to 1.2 and vice versa. Instructions to fix the soft brick from doing it incorrectly (even though it's not a softbrick, just an incorrect version of CWM installed).

Right now it's SO confusing. BOS was posted on XDA, making a lot of people there all jittery wanting to try it out. Unfortunately, while the BOS post instructs them how to get it flashed, it doesn't tell them how ot revert back to their comfortable 1.1 rom...so, knowing how ot go both way is crucial.

Some of these required posts already exist in the general, Q&A or Dev section (see the problem) OR the respective sections on XDA...they just need copied and pasted as locked stickied posts in the 1.1/1.2 section.
  • Sm0k3d0uT likes this

#4 Sm0k3d0uT

Sm0k3d0uT

The Hand That Smites

• Global Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

So far I like the way the GTab section is set up. The only suggestion I would make would be a separate section for confirmed how-to's. I made a post on the adb how-to that I updated from an earlier post on that other website, but, if that thread were in a separate How-To section, the newer users (and I am one of them), might find the info easier.
Stuff like, how to flash a new kernel, or do a nvflash install, set up like roebeet has it so it can be used simply, or, how to experiment with market problems, with different approaches. The info is all here, it's just spread out.
I know that for something like the Honeycomb alpha, the how-to really changes frequently, so, I'm not thinking things like that should be included (I did say CONFIRMED how-to's), but, stable roms could be included, although the OP for each rom has this already. Just typing out loud. When I first started playing with the G Tablet, going through all the how-to's and choosing the correct one was my biggest task.

It's a good suggestion.
We had intended the FAQ section to fulfill this but I suppose we haven't actually put this in motion.
I will start sorting through the posts in the various threads and move the relevant posts to that section.
I will also change the the section title to FAQ & New User How-To's so that it will be more visible to new users.

Thanks for the suggestions. :good:
Our ultimate goal is to make the user experience here as easy and informative as possible.

Keep those suggestions coming

#5 Sm0k3d0uT

Sm0k3d0uT

The Hand That Smites

• Global Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

Really, there is only one person to thank for the migration of people from XDA...Roebeet. Had he chosen another forum, we'd all be there instead. I've actually been switching between the 2 forums because XDA seems to have more people posting, while SLD has more informative posts and helpful members.

One thing that neither site has, but would be most helpful is a section specifically for the differences between 1.1 bootloader roms and 1.2 bootloader roms. A comprehensive section to send people from either forum to get the informaiton that they need. NOT a section dedicated to which is better, just one that lists things like the roms that work on each, and links for downloading them and the instructions for doing so...even if we need to link to XDA. Might as well accept that some people are not going to come here, but limitting the informaiton available ot new users does them a greater disservice.

SO, within the new section will be LOCKED stickies, not a discussion section, just an information section...
included in it will need to be manuals indicating the 1.1 roms (active AND retired) the 1.2 Roms, the differences with the CWM versions. The Kernels for both. Install instructions to go from 1.1 to 1.2 and vice versa. Instructions to fix the soft brick from doing it incorrectly (even though it's not a softbrick, just an incorrect version of CWM installed).

Right now it's SO confusing. BOS was posted on XDA, making a lot of people there all jittery wanting to try it out. Unfortunately, while the BOS post instructs them how to get it flashed, it doesn't tell them how ot revert back to their comfortable 1.1 rom...so, knowing how ot go both way is crucial.

Some of these required posts already exist in the general, Q&A or Dev section (see the problem) OR the respective sections on XDA...they just need copied and pasted as locked stickied posts in the 1.1/1.2 section.

I had a similar thought but more of a detailed section for just 1.2 bootloader.
For newer users I can see how upgrading from 1.1 to 1.2 could seem a bit intimidating with the possibility of soft-bricking while trying to upgrade.
To be honest I haven't upgraded to the 1.2 bootloader because 1) I am waiting for BoS to move from an alpha stage to a beta and 2) the process of upgrading has been changing so fast it's actually left me scratching my head wondering what is the proper method to upgrade (and i'm not a new user and a Network Administrator for a living).

I think 1.1 has been well documented but 1.2 seems to get lost because it's so new.

I think with Roebeet's and help from the more knowledgeable users of the g-tab community we could create a section to totally and completely document the 1.2 bootloader.
In all honesty, I really don't know what the real differences and advantages are for the 1.1 and 1.2, but if someone were to write one I would add it to this section.

Thanks for you suggestion. :drinks:

#6 tjevans

tjevans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:58 PM

I had a similar thought but more of a detailed section for just 1.2 bootloader.
For newer users I can see how upgrading from 1.1 to 1.2 could seem a bit intimidating with the possibility of soft-bricking while trying to upgrade.
To be honest I haven't upgraded to the 1.2 bootloader because 1) I am waiting for BoS to move from an alpha stage to a beta and 2) the process of upgrading has been changing so fast it's actually left me scratching my head wondering what is the proper method to upgrade (and i'm not a new user and a Network Administrator for a living).

I think 1.1 has been well documented but 1.2 seems to get lost because it's so new.

I think with Roebeet's and help from the more knowledgeable users of the g-tab community we could create a section to totally and completely document the 1.2 bootloader.
In all honesty, I really don't know what the real differences and advantages are for the 1.1 and 1.2, but if someone were to write one I would add it to this section.

Thanks for you suggestion. :drinks:

I agree that a definitive 1.2 section does need made, but here is the issue. If SLD has a comprehensive 1.2 section, the the 1.2 fans and users will come here...BUT, without an equal 1.1 section, then you'll lose potential users to XDA. This is apparent with their current content. MOst folks are on 1.1. Clemysn posts BOS there and they all want to try it. They flash to it, then just about all unexperienced folks softbricked trying to get back. You'll end up with a similar situation if you concentrate only on 1.2.

To put it bluntly, if SLD wants to be the future home of G-Tablet development, then they can't be happy sharing the users with another forum. Give the users everything that XDA gives them, but also what XDA refuses to give them. No sense in splitting the audience 50/50, when you can have it all, huh?

#7 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:52 PM

I think a speadsheet type matrix is required, there will be more evolution and these threads can only become more confusing for the community, even the faq, which is comprehensive, soon brings beads of sweat to the foreheads of the unitiated.
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#8 waterhead

waterhead

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

If there was decent Wiki for the g-tablet, then most noobs could find answers to questions there.

I first joined Slatedroid when I got a ZT-180 tablet. The Wiki for that tablet helped me alot. Compare the ZT-180 wiki:

http://www.slatedroi...Wiki:ZT-180_FAQ

To the g-tablet Wiki:

http://www.slatedroi...x.php/Viewsonic

I assume the Wiki's are created and maintained by volunteers, and the ZT-180 has some dedicated people behind it. I am not volunteering for this task, just making a suggestion!!

Edited by waterhead, 24 May 2011 - 08:09 AM.

• Sm0k3d0uT likes this
Paul

My Tablets:

ZT-180 GONE!!!
g-tablet One of the first, purchased Nov. 2010. Sold!!
g-tablet Woot purchase, running TNT Lite 4.4.0 Sold to a fellow Linux user!!
Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi
Azpen X1
HP Touchpad

#9 drw1304

drw1304

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

Our ultimate goal is to make the user experience here as easy and informative as possible.

I feel this forum is the best out of all I visit....very friendly most act like everyone is a expert and if you don't have a masters degree in IT you shouldn't even bother asking questions. The Gtab has so much possibilities it is amazing and this is the forum to make it possible.

Thank you for your forward thinking and making it possible to enjoy visiting.
  • Sm0k3d0uT likes this

#10 slwiseman

slwiseman

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:35 PM

The thing I want to do is use the second core on my GTablet.

#11 badMongo1973

badMongo1973

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

My suggestion: Help us hardware people (like me :) ) understand what major features a ROM brings (hardware acceleration? dual core utilization?, codec support?). This would help people greatly in deciding what ROM will fit their purpose, and hopefully cut down the number of annoying repeat questions for the developers. I some cases I have had to visit many sites to understand what functions one ROM offers over another. In the case of XDA there are four parallel threads over CM7-based ROM's alone, and not one consistent answer as to what one does better than the other.

SLD seem to be the current place to be for open discussions on G-tablet development. I really am following member roebeet, his detailed instructions (with updates, when significant) have empowered me to boldly mod my Gtablet into a "just works" device. I find XDA to be a mess of "copy threads", when all I want to know is "what will work/not-work if I flash to this ROM?".

Thank you
Eric R.
-Gtab running (roebeet's) TnT-lite 4.4.0

#12 tlb1961

tlb1961

TeamDRH

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationAridzona

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

I totally agree with what is being said here. Especially with GoinEasy9. If you look at both the BoS and BC threads it's pretty obvious that 30% or more of the posts are "yikes I bricked my Tab!! help me how do I get it back?!". Not actually useful posts in those threads and make it hard to get the pertinent information you need about the ROM or post results. It's going to be hard as there is already threads that apply to how to NVFlash, recover, etc and people don't see it. It comes down to human nature and will probably be hard to change, but it's needed badly.

Edited by tlb1961, 27 May 2011 - 09:10 PM.

• Sm0k3d0uT likes this

Viewsonic gTablet - Currently running TeamDRH
JB Alpha 5.2 (4.1.1)
Samsung Galaxy S II E4GT - Stock ROM rooted.

Please show your support for the developers who are relentlessly working to bring the latest firmware to the GTab. JellyBean ain't too shabby if you ask me. :-)

TeamDRH
Team Flashback

#13 tlb1961

tlb1961

TeamDRH

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationAridzona

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

Nice start by creating separate 1.1 and 1.2 ROM sections. Already seems easier to see what is what :good:

JB Alpha 5.2 (4.1.1)

Please show your support for the developers who are relentlessly working to bring the latest firmware to the GTab. JellyBean ain't too shabby if you ask me. :-)

TeamDRH
Team Flashback

#14 tlb1961

tlb1961

TeamDRH

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationAridzona

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

To be honest, and no bad meaning to roebeet, but can the 'posts of the week' be moved out of there to another location? I find it older info and right in my face if I visit this section.

Just a suggestion. :pardon:

JB Alpha 5.2 (4.1.1)

TeamDRH
Team Flashback

#15 tlb1961

tlb1961

TeamDRH

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationAridzona

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

I'm thinking that a plain FAQ section may not be enough as far as 'brick recovery' goes. Maybe a separate section is need for "I bricked my tablet what do I do?" section is needed somewhere here.

Ok... maybe not "brick" but maybe "I can't boot my tablet now, what do I do?" and maybe point back to the recovery threads.

Alright, maybe I am thinking too hard tonight, :mellow:

Edited by tlb1961, 27 May 2011 - 09:27 PM.

JB Alpha 5.2 (4.1.1)

TeamDRH
Team Flashback

#16 Sm0k3d0uT

Sm0k3d0uT

The Hand That Smites

• Global Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

Nice start by creating separate 1.1 and 1.2 ROM sections. Already seems easier to see what is what :good:

Thanks.

I am slowly working trying to get things in order.
Next I plan on creating separate sections for 1.1 and 1.2 guides.

To be honest, and no bad meaning to roebeet, but can the 'posts of the week' be moved out of there to another location? I find it older info and right in my face if I visit this section.

Just a suggestion. :pardon:

It makes sense.
I've been wondering myself why the quote of the week has been the same for almost a month. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that a plain FAQ section may not be enough as far as 'brick recovery' goes. Maybe a separate section is need for "I bricked my tablet what do I do?" section is needed somewhere here.

Ok... maybe not "brick" but maybe "I can't boot my tablet now, what do I do?" and maybe point back to the recovery threads.

Alright, maybe I am thinking too hard tonight, :mellow:

A section for recovery is a good idea.

#17 gregw

gregw

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

I've been wondering myself why the quote of the week has been the same for almost a month. :rolleyes:

Just change the title to "Quote of the Year", that gives you several months for any of us to write something noteworthy. B)

#18 aaron-ini

aaron-ini

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:50 PM

I want a decent Honeycomb build to slap on my GTab. I wonder if the NVFlash update to the newer bootloader is going to be worth having a semi-functional device... Especially since there does not seem to be an overwhelming amount of evidence (videos, user reviews, etc) of great success stories in the early Alpha adopter camp.

#19 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,276 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:10 AM

@Sm0k3d0uT (and g-Tabbers)

Older Post(s) of the week removed. Sorry it took so long, I had to learn how to remove them. :pardon:
  • Sm0k3d0uT likes this
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#20 tlb1961

tlb1961

TeamDRH

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationAridzona

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

Looking good! :good:

Now, what do you think about changing the order of the subforums? Is it possible?

1 FAQ
2 modding
3 and 4 ROMS
5 recovery
6 apps
7 themes
8 accessories
9 laboratory

EDIT: Looking very good now!! Thanks.

Edited by tlb1961, 30 May 2011 - 01:31 PM.

JB Alpha 5.2 (4.1.1)

TeamDRH
Team Flashback