Photo

How to connect to Ad-hoc network (android 2.2)

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Zoppatorslk

Zoppatorslk

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

<br /><br />
<br />
Hi Yutani/Zoppatorslk,<br />
<br />
I have tried using your technic but somehow i still cannot connect/tether my tablet to my iphone4(4.3.3/not jailbreak) any ideas? I also use ES File Explorer and rooted the device/file ...is it possible can you please share the file wpa_supplicant.conf or post it ? just to make sure I'm doing it right... Thank you for sharing this information, i've been looking this information .<br />

<br /><br /><br />

I think you can use infrastructure mode instead of ad-hoc in 4.3, then u dont have to mess around.

I got my phone jailbreaked and set up like i want, aint got the time to redo it on new fw.

#22 jazzdglass

jazzdglass

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hi guys. I have a problem with my dropad. But somehow since i found this site and thread i feel like my problem is solved. Here is my spec MID_Serails, android v2.2, kernel 2.6.32.9 MID Serials #1668 Sat Jul 2 14:19:41 CST 2011 nand, Build no MID Serials 2.2 FRF91 20110704.191834. After rooting with z4root, i installed super user 2.3.6.1 and then root explorer 2.14.... I deleted wpa_supplicant.conf from etc/wifi/ without copying it 4 backup. And i overwrite it with another wpa file i got on 4shared, simply because it was always empty... I later discovered that even d one that i downloaded 4rm 4shared with d command in it became empty when it entered etc/wifi/..... Now my wifi cannot scan!! It says "unable to scan for networks" then it switches off d Wifi... I need help plz

#23 Zoppatorslk

Zoppatorslk

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:20 AM

Hi guys. I have a problem with my dropad. But somehow since i found this site and thread i feel like my problem is solved. Here is my spec MID_Serails, android v2.2, kernel 2.6.32.9 MID Serials #1668 Sat Jul 2 14:19:41 CST 2011 nand, Build no MID Serials 2.2 FRF91 20110704.191834. After rooting with z4root, i installed super user 2.3.6.1 and then root explorer 2.14.... I deleted wpa_supplicant.conf from etc/wifi/ without copying it 4 backup. And i overwrite it with another wpa file i got on 4shared, simply because it was always empty... I later discovered that even d one that i downloaded 4rm 4shared with d command in it became empty when it entered etc/wifi/..... Now my wifi cannot scan!! It says "unable to scan for networks" then it switches off d Wifi... I need help plz

Sounds strange that the file is empty.
But try this to start with:
create a textfile somewhere that you have write acess (i you do it from windows, make shure you use unix linefeed, i think it gets messed up if you use windows lf)
Name it: wpa_supplicant.conf

insert these lines:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/data/system/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wifi
update_config=1
ap_scan=2

save the text file, then copy it to etc/wifi/

turn wifi on an search for network

If it dosen't work:Turn wifi off again, copy etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf to another location, open the copied file and see if it's empty

#24 jazzdglass

jazzdglass

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

I was able to create a new file inside the folder system/etc/wifi ...i named d file wpa_supplicant.conf and i input random word, then saved it. It did not erase wen i checked it. So i opened it in text editor and i input ur command (exactly as it is shown above) then saved. I opened it to check content, it was intact. Then i switched on wifi via settings but same prompt came "unable to scan for networks". Then i went back to check d file, it was still intact. I then shut down and on again, wifi was still unable to scan, then went to rootexplorer and the command is gone! Just a blank page! But the backup created wen i edited the file i initially created (wpa_supplicant.conf.bak) still has d random word in it.. I guess d system is responsible 4 dis. D backup file was not read by system and its still intact

#25 jazzdglass

jazzdglass

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

I think i found a way to save without the command getting deleted. I just had to press the menu key and save.. I previously use d back or return key.... But the problem is still there "unable to scan for networks"

#26 dj_n3o

dj_n3o

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

I wrote a simple app that renames the files in system/etc/wifi

You need to have at least to files in the folder

wpa_supplicant.conf (the file in use)

and

wpa_supplicant.conf_wifi (the file with wifi settings)

or

wpa_supplicant.conf_adhoc (the file with adhoc settings)

You can get it here http://www.4shared.c...WifiAdhoc.html?

#27 soulclaimed

soulclaimed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:22 AM

i now have fragcompany installed but in the wifi directory there is no suplicant file can anyone advise?

#28 jazzdglass

jazzdglass

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

Have u switch ON d WLAN and scan, and actually connect to d internet?? And which of the fragcompany u upgraded to?

#29 soulclaimed

soulclaimed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:19 AM

1.4 and ive connected to my home wifi now yeah

#30 jazzdglass

jazzdglass

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:52 AM

I cant believe am not getting any help. :(

#31 driesken

driesken

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

I'm having a hard time getting this to work on my Dropad. I've tried several Roms (Fragcompany 1.3/1.4, Clean 0.9/1.0) but none of them won't detect the adhoc network.

I've tried this method:

1) First disabled the Wifi on my tablet.

2) Installed Rootexplorer and successfully replaced the original 'wpa_supplicant.conf' (with the same permissions as previously) with this text:
update_config=1
ap_scan=2

network={
ssid="AndroidTether"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=NONE
mode=1
priority=1
}

3) Started the Hotspot-ability on my Android 2.3 Phone (Samsung Galaxy Spica). I've even tried this app:
http://code.google.c...id-wifi-tether/
The SSID is the same as in the configfile above...

4) Enabled the wifi on the tablet again.

But it won't detect the adhoc network :( The wifi just seems to turn on and off again...

Anyone who knows what I am doing wrong here?

#32 soulclaimed

soulclaimed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

I just bought a samsung galaxy ace on 3 uk and it tethers with the tablet and browsing is very fast it has a built in tether function under wifi connections etc and its android2.2

#33 jazzdglass

jazzdglass

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:03 AM

I'm having a hard time getting this to work on my Dropad. I've tried several Roms (Fragcompany 1.3/1.4, Clean 0.9/1.0) but none of them won't detect the adhoc network.

I've tried this method:

1) First disabled the Wifi on my tablet.

2) Installed Rootexplorer and successfully replaced the original 'wpa_supplicant.conf' (with the same permissions as previously) with this text:

update_config=1
ap_scan=2

network={
ssid="AndroidTether"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=NONE
mode=1
priority=1
}

3) Started the Hotspot-ability on my Android 2.3 Phone (Samsung Galaxy Spica). I've even tried this app:
http://code.google.c...id-wifi-tether/
The SSID is the same as in the configfile above...

4) Enabled the wifi on the tablet again.

But it won't detect the adhoc network :( The wifi just seems to turn on and off again...

Anyone who knows what I am doing wrong here?

hey, do u get prompt "unable to scan for networks" just when wifi goes off itself? If yes, then we may b having a parallel problem.... Tel me if u got a way around it .

#34 driesken

driesken

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:05 AM

hey, do u get prompt "unable to scan for networks" just when wifi goes off itself? If yes, then we may b having a parallel problem.... Tel me if u got a way around it .

No, the wifi keeps turning on and off. I've asked the developer of the FragCompany ROM if he is able to implement it by standard. Let's hope that provides a solution...

#35 jazzdglass

jazzdglass

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

No, the wifi keeps turning on and off. I've asked the developer of the FragCompany ROM if he is able to implement it by standard. Let's hope that provides a solution...

Try flash with a factory firmware update (i mean a rom which hasnt been moded)... I would like to know how u would solve dis Wifi problem. Plz keep me posted.. Am still confused u didnt get d prompt "unable to scan for networks"...

#36 driesken

driesken

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

Try flash with a factory firmware update (i mean a rom which hasnt been moded)... I would like to know how u would solve dis Wifi problem. Plz keep me posted.. Am still confused u didnt get d prompt "unable to scan for networks"...

I haven't got the time to try it out. Don't want to reinstall the whole thing...

Guess best thing to do is wait for official support.

#37 jazzdglass

jazzdglass

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:39 AM

What kind of official support? There's nutin official about that tablet other than the OS....oh i get, ur scared of bricking it :)

#38 driesken

driesken

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

What kind of official support? There's nutin official about that tablet other than the OS....oh i get, ur scared of bricking it :)

No, with "official support" I mean, standard support by Android. I tried clean 0.8 and 1.0, fragcompany 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 but couldn't get it to work...

Have you tried it?

Edited by driesken, 15 August 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#39 jazzdglass

jazzdglass

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:41 AM

There is an app called wifi fixer... Can u give it a try? It didnt solve d problem wit me. U can give it a try

#40 hostmanus

hostmanus

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:40 AM

Dear Friends,

i have a big problem. today i have rooted my dropad A8 and change the wpa_supplicant file in system/bin/wpa_supplicant with new file for ad-hoc wifi.
but now the big problem is when i open wifi, it's only running for 10 seconds and then closes.
i try to re-install the original file "wpa_supplicant" but still the same?
what can i do for this problem?

Best,