roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

LAST UPDATE: 6/21/2011 (alpha 6.0)

Posted Image

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this firmware mod, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device and neither myself, Slatedroid nor Viewsonic are responsible for supporting you if that occurs. In this case, it is required that you learn and setup nvflash prior to running this mod.

A BIG THANK YOU TO MRGUY, DJ_STEVE, Clemsyn, Pershoot and all the Adam and VEGA developers, for this excellent port!!!!! Most of this port comes from what they've created. I'm just tweaking it a little for GTAB users and packaging it. The alpha 6 is a mashup of both HC16 and the VEGAComb 1.5.1 beta (I'm still calling it an alpha, given the OpenGL issue).

Their forum is here: http://tabletroms.co...m-%28Updated%29

==================================

What this is

This is the "HoneyCreamAdam" HC mod port for the 1.2-based GTab. This will flash your boot.img, recovery, bootloader and system, so be aware of this. You are also REQUIRED to wipe your user data after you flash to this ROM, so please BACKUP ALL DATA before attempting this.

The 1.2 GTAB dev branch and the Adam dev branch seem to be the same exact branch, and the kernels are (mostly) compatible. And we are currently using Clem's HC-compatible kernel, which is 1.2 branch based.

UPDATE for alpha 2.2 -- nvflashing is no longer required. The space has been reduced to the point that a vanilla GTAB can now be flashed to run this.

Recommended Pre-requisites

1. Setup and learn how to use nvflash. This is your backout in case something bad happens, so I would recommend you understand how to use this, in advance. Link details: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=861950. nvflash is specific to Tegra 2 devices only. For users on 1.1-based ROMs (ie. stock, VEGAn, gADAM TNT Lite 4 etc.), learning nvflash is HIGHLY recommended as the risk of a soft-brick is higher.

2. Have your device on a stock 1.2-based ROM / mod baseline. For example, build 4349 is the latest 1.2-based stock ROM, as of this writing. Details on how to return to a stock 1.2-based ROM are here: http://www.slatedroi...sions-g-tablet/

Other 1.2-based ROMs should also work safely (ie. Century Eyes, Mountain Laurel, Brilliant Corners). A 1.1-based source is more risky (see below) but is possible and I have tested 3588 stock to BOS directly, with no issues.

Installation for 1.2-based stock/mod users (ie. TNT Lite 5 / TwoTapsX / 4349 stock / Century Eyes / Mountain Laurel)

- Extract the RAR to the root of your internal memory. So, you'd have a recovery folder and an update.zip on the root of the mounted drive.

- Reboot into recovery. The update should occur automatically (click on the Home button to see the build details while it's running) . Once completed, it should reboot automatically.

- The device should take some time to initialize (two to three minutes, so be patient), then will boot into the GUI. If it gets stuck (and it likely will if you came from a different ROM), reboot into recovery one more time and wipe data / factory reset and reboot. I would NOT recommend setting up any Wifi at the initial setup screen, wait until the after the setup before doing that (some users, myself included, have had issues doing this at the initial setup screen so I would skip it).

Installation from previous versions of Bottle of Smoke / HoneycreamAdam

Since there's no mount to PC option yet, you can upgrade to each new version via clockworkmod. As of alpha 2.2, cwm is flashed with the HC ROM. So this is my recommendation on how to upgrade:

- Download new version of HC, and extract the update.zip from the RAR file.
- Run cwm (as of alpha 2.2, I added it to the ROM). Go to Mounts and Storage, then mount USB. The internal memory should now mount to your PC.
- Add the new update.zip somewhere to your internal memory. What I usually do is create a "backups" folder, drop the version in there and rename it to something more readable like "BOS_Alpha2.2.zip".
- Unmount the device PC from your PC, then unmount from cwm. Then run the update.zip as you normally would and choose that file you just added.

Btw, as long as you stay on the 1.2 dev branch, you can add 4349 stock or any other 1.2 based ROM in there and use cwm to install, without risk of brickage.

Installation for 1.1-based stock/mod users (ie. TNT Lite 4, VEGAN-Tab, G-Harmony, Calkulin's ROM etc.)

- Ensure that your device is running build 3588 standard recovery. This is a requirement to minimize the risk of a soft-brick - I cannot stress this enough! gADAM 1.3.0+ and TNT Lite 4.3.0+ have a Recovery Pack built-in to allow you to easily add standard recovery, if you are using clockworkmod. Do NOT use clockworkmod to flash up to a 1.2-based ROM or you WILL soft-brick your device. For other 1.1-based mods, you can install the 3588 Recovery Pack or flash 3588 standard recovery via an update.zip file. Or, flash to 3588 stock (with stock recovery) for the safest baseline.

I want to stress this, as this is important - BE VERY CAREFUL on a 1.1 source. If you flash with clockworkmod from a 1.1 ROM to a 1.2 ROM like Bottle of Smoke, YOU WILL SOFT-BRICK your tablet 100% of the time. If you are not sure if your device has 3588 stock recovery, don't take the risk -- flash to 3588 stock before you attempt this HC mod!

Other than these caveats, the installation is the same as 1.2 users, above.

Backout

This is a 1.2-based mod and I would recommend that you backout to the latest stock ROM (4349, as of this writing). Please see this post on instructions on how to flash to a stock 1.2-based ROM: http://www.slatedroi...sions-g-tablet/

If you want to backout to a 1.1-based ROM or mod, you MUST have a standard 1.2-based recovery (like 3991 or 4349). Since this ROM installs a 1.2-friendly clockworkmod, then you need to remove it - see the "Recovery Pack" section on how to backout to standard recovery. Again, running stock 4349 is your best best to get to a "gateway" 1.2 ROM before you jump back to a 1.1 ROM/mod.

Once a standard 1.2-based recovery is confirmed installed, you can use any of the following ROM's to backout to a "legacy" 1.1-based firmware: 3588 stock, TNT Lite 4.3.0+ or gADAM 1.3.0+. You would just use the standard instructions for these (ie. add the update.zip and recovery folders to the root of your drive, and reboot into recovery). Other 1.1-based ROM's may not work (ie. VEGAn or any of the GB ROMs), so PLEASE tread carefully here!

I have tested all of these scenarios and the backout does work, most of the time. However, as always, there is a risk here so I would HIGHLY recommend that you setup and master nvflash BEFORE you attempt backing out. That's just in case the backout fails and you need an emergency procedure to unbrick your device.

NOTE FOR TNT LITE 4.3.0+ / gADAM 1.3.0+ -- recovery will be broken, after the downgrade. In this case, just run their Recovery Pack and you can fix it (see the TNT Lite first post on XDA, for details).

Also see gojimi's post on backing out from a 1.2-based ROM to a 1.1-based ROM: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1036956

1.2-Based Recovery Pack

I have included part of the 4349 recovery pack in the last few alphas in case you need to backout to standard recovery. To do this, either use adb or a Terminal Emulator, then type "su" and then this:

fixrecovery.sh
(this adds back standard recovery)

cwmrecovery.sh
(this adds back cwm recovery)

-------------------------

Downloads
alpha6.0 Link: http://www.mediafire...mftq46bwi5srbv0
md5sum: 77887b14bd16e5df085d729cafeebe66
(updated 6/21/2011)

Changelog:

(a6.0) Added Pershoot GB kernel. Seems stable so far, adds USB mounting (thus cwm was removed from the ROM, no longer required)
(a5.2) Based of HC16 -- Gmail possibly working better(?), media scanning is working, Gallery is working for me.
(a5.1) Still based on a5.0, but fixed the blank browser.
(a5.0) Update was pulled, due to issues. Updates to reflect Adam HC15 changes (storage is fixed, but we lost the enhanced shutdown screen)
(a4.1) Sound Settings now work (storage does not, however), tweaked the app selection a bit.
(a4.0) First attempt to combine aspects of VEGAComb beta 1.5.1 and Adam HC14.
(a3.3) Tweaked lowmem settings (thanks newbe5!) and added ACER buttons back (thanks absorber!)
(a3.2) Sleep improved, constant restarts after a data wipe seems to be corrected, as well.
(a3.1) Fixed the messy dalvik heap size.
(a3.0) Updated to Adam u14 (this moves from an ACER UI to the ASUS UI).
(a2.4) Small additions to /data/app (for standard recovery users only, adds additional apps to user data). Added run-parts for Clem. Updated cwm to rev5.
(a2.3) Updated to Adam u13, moved Books, Maps, Street to /data (won't install with cwm, keep in mind). This freed up another 15MB of space on /system. Gmail / Email are now working, thanks to u13 and the VEGA devs! If you are using cwm, you can sideload the data apps later or get them from the Market.
(a2.2) Updated to Adam u12, adds the new mod name. Also adding 1.2 bootloader and cwm 3.0.2.8 recovery, for 1.1 jumpers.
(a2.1) Gapps! At least the Market, and YouTube (again, a big thanks to MrGuy for making that happen!) updated to be based on the Adam update10 image.
(a2.0) Version 11 Clemsyn kernel added for HC, gsensor fixed (thanks to Zebwen for the tips!), newer snapz54 boot logo.
(a1.2) Sound! (thanks to HomerSP for the fix, and newbe5 and blazingwolf for testing!), standard video might work (I tested an mp4). Audio includes EQ, which is actually superior to any vendor build I've used.
(a1.1) Added root (thanks to Koush for the Xoom su!), a few additional apps, better boot screen (thanks snapz54!)
(a1.0) First release
------------------------

Issues / Workarounds (this is still an alpha version with some items outstanding)

See this TR Wiki for an updated list of issues: http://tabletroms.co...Log&redirect=no . Ours will be very similar. But to summarize:

- Camera isn't working (pulled out the app for now)
- Browser is working, but OpenGL is disabled for it to work. That means no Flash video on the stock browser.
- (High-def) video playback does not work, yet.

- For the Market, REBOOT after setting up your Google ID for the first time. This seems to be needed for alpha 6, at least.

- I would recommend turning off Compatibility Mode (which is why I added the Spare Parts apk). It will correct screen issues for some apps, and over in XDA it's been said that it might improve Market downloads as well.

- For overclocking, you can use "CPU Master", in the Market (thanks nitefallz!) Note that CPU Master free does not install to load on boot like the paid version. You have to set the CPU speed manually each time you start up.

- There's an adhoc patch that can be attempted, see this post for details: http://www.slatedroi...post__p__202078 (thanks, jazzruby!)

==================================

alpha2.2 -- this is a screenshot from my GTAB:

Posted Image

Adam demo (our device has similar speed and functionality):

http://www.youtube.c...xZSYWra4#at=127

==========================================

ARCHIVES

alpha5.2 Link: http://www.mediafire...gq82r8gj3i8lue8
md5sum: 491c62eda20ba0c7714dc5352e4f581b
(updated 6/15/2011)

alpha4.1 Link: http://www.mediafire...gvn4e8e6uzn2g0t
md5sum: 8130a75f840bf7e676d70a935a0fb184
(updated 6/05/2011)

alpha3.3 Link: http://www.mediafire...vzb15d0g5952381
md5sum: 3de73c9727e1461c947a15c1d503fb30
(updated 5/19/2011)

alpha2.4 Link: http://www.mediafire...2a53pgjy1m12sq6
md5sum: b120b5dde298a743a9163cab68b434c0
(updated 5/15/2011)

alpha1.2 Link: http://www.mediafire...cl5ve525dpq9bmd
md5sum: afa130f94a3fce1bb15b51c033853ef1
(updated 5/10/2011)

Edited by roebeet, 10 July 2011 - 05:44 PM.

• Sm0k3d0uT, Miss Dragon , kozmo2k4 and 14 others like this
Android Devices: Viewsonic GTab, Notion Ink Adam, ASUS Transformer, Cowon D3

#2 dgondrez

dgondrez

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Great job!. So I am excited and want to try. Is it me or is the link not up yet?

#3 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

Great job!. So I am excited and want to try. Is it me or is the link not up yet?

I'm building it out. Pre-req is nvflashing to 4349, first. This is an absolute requirement as the Honeycomb port is actually larger than what a default GTAB setup can handle. In my 4349 nvflash setups, I actually upped the system.img to 250MB (from 192MB), which will be enough for now. I might need to up that further, later on.

This is mostly the Adam devs. All I've really done is tweaked the boot logo and fixed the power / volume buttons. We're using their kernel for now, which is compatible with a GTAB as long as you are on the 1.2 dev branch.

Edited by roebeet, 09 May 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#4 seenu

seenu

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

I'm building it out. Pre-req is nvflashing to 4349, first. This is an absolute requirement as the Honeycomb port is actually larger than what a default GTAB setup can handle. In my 4349 nvflash setups, I actually upped the system.img to 250MB (from 192MB), which will be enough for now. I might need to up that further, later on.

Great News Roebeet.

#5 ssmr2t

ssmr2t

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

Wow, Rob... You have outdone yourself again!!

Im so excited to go home and try this later.

One question I have is, can I at least play Angry Birds on it?

Cause that's all my tablet has been doing lately... an Angry Birds play
zone for my wife and kid.

Thanks again for all of your support!!

Alex

#6 dgondrez

dgondrez

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

Thanks. I am all setup at tap 1.2-4349. I felt like an idiot when I could not figure out how to get into APX. User error of volume + instead of volume -. lol Can't wait for your new work. I finally have been able to donate to you. Thanks again for all the help you provide to all of us. Viewsonic should be paying you for keeping their device a great piece of machinery!

#7 seenu

seenu

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

Thanks. I am all setup at tap 1.2-4349. I felt like an idiot when I could not figure out how to get into APX. User error of volume + instead of volume -. lol Can't wait for your new work. I finally have been able to donate to you. Thanks again for all the help you provide to all of us. Viewsonic should be paying you for keeping their device a great piece of machinery!

Roebeet,

I have flashed HC. it is good. Any instructions to install file manager or firefox?

#8 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

Roebeet,

I have flashed HC. it is good. Any instructions to install file manager or firefox?

I'm learning, as well! Right now I'm sideloading using ADB. This is still an early alpha, at best. But in a week it could be a lot different -- the Adam devs are really slamming away at this.

#9 just lou

just lou

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

It's a start, but I wont get excited until we're close to a real usable HC Rom. ;)

#10 K J Rad

K J Rad

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

Dude! You and your friends just freakin' rock!

#11 ssmr2t

ssmr2t

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

Dude, I am excited as can be...

Do you think that it's even worth it to flash what you have so far Rob?

Anyone have the time to post a vid on the performance and issues on the latest build?

Thanks again for all of your support. .. I will be donating once I get paid!

#12 pqrs

pqrs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

suweet! keep up the good work, ill keep an eye on this!

#13 johninsj

johninsj

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for the early look,

I'll be following along as it matures... when it gets to beta stage, I'd be happy to jump in as a tester, but I need something reasonably functional since I do use my gtab for its intended use :)

Seriously though, looks awesome. Is the 512mb memory an issue for HC, or will it be OK do you think?

#14 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:37 PM

I'll be following along as it matures... when it gets to beta stage, I'd be happy to jump in as a tester, but I need something reasonably functional since I do use my gtab for its intended use :)

Seriously though, looks awesome. Is the 512mb memory an issue for HC, or will it be OK do you think?

I think it will be OK. The bigger issue is the storage space, but if we take some from the cache partition, I think we will be OK there as well. That's why we need to nvflash our devices as a pre-req.

#15 jhreid1969

jhreid1969

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

I'm thinking it will run good with 512mb since the nook color runs HC, plus nook color only has a single core at 800Mhz CPU and the G Tablet has a dual core at 1Ghz, should see a great improvement over nook color.

#16 snapz54

snapz54

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationlos angeles, CA

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

is this a clean install with a cache/data/factory reset from your initial honeycomb release, or do I absolutely have to NVflash no matter what?
my android devices running versions their makers never intended: droid X(gingerbread), Gtablet(honeycomb)

If not for the hard work and dedication of a few, this would be a harsher statement:
SERIOUSLY CONSIDER WHAT YOU ARE DOING before you EVER purchase another viewsonic product. viewsonic is a big evil company like the rest of them that will promise you whatever they have to to get your money and then backout with no intention of fufilling the contract you enter into as buyer-seller. Whenever you tell people how great your Gtab is, don't ever forget to tell them, just how BAD viewsonic is too.

Posted Image

"moderators are great, but only in moderation" -anonymous

#17 dgondrez

dgondrez

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

Ran as described. Can;t wait until there is some more functioning items. Great job Devs!

#18 Pazzu

Pazzu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

downloading and installing. It stays forever in the "honeycreamAdam 4GTAB" though.

Thanks to everyone.

#19 nunja business

nunja business

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

This is so encouraging.
I will also wait for a usable beta, but I am watching this closely!
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

#20 pqrs

pqrs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

so is this full honeycomb or from the sdk? i remember people saying the sdk didnt do us any good, so im hoping this is the real deal?

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

From: [ROM] Honeycomb for GTAB 1.2-based firmware - [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2]

By blbeach in blbeach's Blog, on 14 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

LAST UPDATE: 5/13/2011 (alpha 2.2)
http://i.imgur.com/OA5bR.png

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this firmware mod, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device and neither myself, Slatedroid nor Viewsonic are responsible for supporting you if that occurs. In this case, it is required that...

Read Full Entry →