I hope this post can save some trouble and some money to other people. I wish I've read something like this before ordering my tablet.
First of all, the names of the business firm you have to avoid:
- Shenzhen Yilutong Trading Company Ltd (on Aliexpress)
As you can see they use several different domains, maybe also some more I don't know of, the third one was added a few weeks ago. I can imagine that changing domains is used to restore the "virginity" of their reputation after their website gets bad reviews around the web. You can check if a website is managed by the simply by comparing their fax number, that is: (86)-755-26063125.
My personal experience: I found what seemed to be an Apad-looking with Android 2.1 at a bargain price. I took the chance (and I lost). Why?
1. Shipment: it took more than 50 days to arrive from them to my home (in Italy); eventually I discovered that a good part of this time was lost because the package was blocked by the customs for inspection. Why was it inspected? Simple, they were so silly to declare it as a gift with $30 value (I didn't ask them to fake the customs declaration). Customs officials are not stupid and they know well that packages with that size coming from Singapore and Hong Kong often contain valuable items, so they inspect routinely everything marked as gift with low value. Result: I got a letter from the customs asking for the payment receipt, I sent them the documentation, a lot of time was lost in the process, I paid the customs fee on the whole amount paid and... ...I also got a fine because of the false customs declaration from the sender.
2. Packaging: horribly packaged. The carton box of the tablet was simply rolled in a couple turns of bubble wrap, than the whole bubble wrap was covered with brown adhesive tape. Seems like they don't know the existence of boxes and envelopes. Obviously the carton box inside was slightly damaged, the tablet (apparently) not.
3. Product: first of all I turned the tablet on and it showed as a Cupcake rk2808-based tablet, the infamous version with blue led and camera on the left; no sign of Android 2.1; as a ridiculous attempt to fake it, the firmware revision was set to 2.1, but of course the firmware was based on Android 2.1. Let's go ahead. I turn on the wifi: "unable to start wifi". No matter what I do, there's simply no way to make it work. Ok, maybe I have a big MP4 player. Perhaps not even that: the battery reaches 100% in a few minutes then stops charging; if I disconnect the charger the battery lasts at most 45 minutes, and then the tabled dies without prior notice. When the charger is disconnected, it shows anyway "charging (USB)". Ok, that's pretty unusable.
4. Assistance: they're pretty fast in answering but, nonetheless, their answers are quite useless. The only thing they seemed to care was to close the PayPal dispute. No technical assistance at all. They proposed me to send it back to them for refund or replacement, but: I had to pay shipping back to china (that is more half the price I paid even with the cheapest shipping option); they gave no guarantee at all about how long would it take to have refund or replacement; they gave no guarantee at all about the quality of a possible replacement (if they sent a faked and broken product the first time, can I trust them to send something ok the second?); they wanted me to lose the money I paid for customs, pay for shipping back and (eventually) pay again customs if they ever send a replacement. This all, after I renounce to the PayPal claim and I'm left without any guarantees. Obviously I'm not that crazy.
5. Reaction: I'm in the process of managing claims for my payment in the hope to recover my money. In the meanwhile I reported them to the competent authorities. And also I'm writing here (and somewhere else) in order to prevent them as much as possible from cheating someone else.
I conclude this review with a suggestion to everyone: every time you buy from an online seller, check its reputation on sites on sites like siteadvisor.com or mywot.com. I wish I've done it when I placed my order: if I had read the reviews about brandsdragon on mywot.com, I would have not given them my money! And please, share your bad experiences on the same reputation sites (mywot.com even has a Firefox plugin for evaluating websites!).
Edited by jack_a, 15 May 2011 - 03:28 AM.