Photo

[RECOVERY] 1.2 based recovery options (Recovery Pack, cwm, standard recovery) [G-TABLET]

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

PART1: GTAB 1.2-4349 Recovery Pack

IMPORTANT NOTE: THESE WILL ONLY WORK WITH 1.2-BASED ROMS!!!!!

What this is

A set of tools to flash recovery within a rooted GTablet. This pack includes stock 4349 and clockworkmod 3.0.2.8 recovery, the flash_img utility, and a Terminal Emulator. This is completely mod-agnostic and should be able to work on most rooted mods. Do NOT use this on 1.1-based stock or mods!!!!

This pack will be built into Century Eyes, Mountain Laurel and Brilliant Corners. I am supplying this pack for all other rooted 1.2-based ROMs.

Installation Instructions

This is in an update.zip format. Extract the rar to the root of your internal memory, so that you have a recovery folder and an update.zip. You'll need the apk folder only if you wish to install the Terminal Emulator via a sideload.

Run either standard or clockworkmod recovery and install the same way you would install any ROM. Again, this is only a small set to tools, not a full ROM!

Usage

a) To flash recovery to 4349 stock recovery, using your GTablet

- Download the app "Android Terminal Emulator", by Jack Palevich. Or sideload it (the apk is in the RAR file)
- Run the app, toggle the soft keyboard and change the font settings, if desired (default is very small)
- Type "su" (Superuser should allow su access. If not, you are not rooted and cannot use this!)
- Type "fixrecovery.sh". This should run the flash_image tool and complete in 5-10 seconds

Reboot into recovery to test. 4349 stock has no options, so assuming you have no update.zip in the root of your /sdcard, it should just error out with an "!" error (that's what we want to see).

B) To flash recovery to clockworkmod 3.0.2.8 version recovery, using your GTablet

- Follow steps 1 to 3, above
- Type "cwmrecovery.sh". You should the flash_image tool run and complete

Reboot into recovery to test. You should see the clockworkmod .8 bekit screen, which means the flash was successful.

c) To flash either recovery with adb

Just use an "adb shell" and then run the shell script needed. Again, this requires root access.

Download

1.2-4349 Recovery Pack v1.0 Link: http://www.mediafire...450y0mwuw17fva9
md5sum: cb1ad2d4ba480b5e5d4aa27650a2e331
(update on 5/08/2011)

=====================================

PART2: Clockworkmod v3.0.2.8 (GTablet 1.2 dev branch, and NI Adam compatible)

What this is

This is clockworkmod (alternate recovery) for 1.2 ROM's. It's an update.zip package to flash to clockworkmod, and is OS and hardware agnostic. Do NOT use this on 1.1-based stock or mods!!!!

This is in an update.zip format. Extract the main ZIP to the root of your internal memory, so that you have a recovery folder and an update.zip.

Testing

Reboot into recovery. If you see "Clockworkmod Recovery v3.0.2.8" in the title, then it is installed.

Download

clockworkmod v3.0.2.8 (1.2 branch / NIA rev5) Link: http://www.mediafire...2flqn8b10ebcq44
md5sum: ac4d728d74a6b608cce588d2649e79f3
(updated on 5/15/2011)

Many thanks to bekit and rothnic, for their work with clockworkmod!! Their documentation is what assisted me to get this functioning.

NOTE ON CWM: Do not use the Android GUI tool to wipe user data, or else cwm will get stuck in a reboot loop! If this occurs, there are two ways to fix this:

1- ADB required

In clockworkmod, go to mounts and storage and mount /system. Then, run this on your local PC:

adb shell
cd /system/bin
./fixrecovery.sh

Then reboot. What should occur is that standard recovery should pop up and complete the data wipe. On the next reboot, you should be able to get back into the GUI.

2- nvflash required

Using the 4349 nvflash image, run this:

nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --download 9 part9.img

Then reboot. What should occur is that standard recovery should pop up and complete the data wipe. On the next reboot, you should be able to get back into the GUI.

=====================================

PART3: Stock 4349 Recovery Standalone

What this is

This is the stock 4349 recovery for 1.2 ROM's. It's an update.zip package to flash to 4349 stock recovery, and is OS and hardware agnostic. Do NOT use this on 1.1-based stock or mods!!!!

This is in an update.zip format. Extract the rar to the root of your internal memory, so that you have a recovery folder and an update.zip.

Testing

Reboot into recovery (and ensure you have no update.zip in the root of your device). Standard recovery, unlike clockworkmod, has blue text, with a minimal set of tools like factory reset and a calibration tool.

Download

4349 Stock Recovery Link: http://www.mediafire...p7dniki8w9f74hy
md5sum: 4a43bcc3167435b8945dd1319a2c7589
(Updated on 5/08/2011)

Edited by roebeet, 17 June 2011 - 01:37 PM.

• junki_dada likes this
Android Devices: Viewsonic GTab, Notion Ink Adam, ASUS Transformer, Cowon D3

#2 kwak

kwak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for your efforts. This would be a good place to add the steps required to reboot into recovery.

#3 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

Got sidetracked by Honeycomb, but will be fills this out tomorrow or over the weekend. So far, so issues with the new clockworkmod.

#4 kwak

kwak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:13 PM

Saw the thread about Honeycomb, have fun. B)

#5 slm4996

slm4996

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:41 AM

robeet do you maintain a source repo for clockwork? I am looking into fixing the multi-sd support and wanted to start from where you currently are at.
Viewsonic gTablet running:
Flashback (android) and xubuntu 11.04 (dual boot)

Donate to my Gadget Fund
Follow me on Twitter

#6 megabyte2365

megabyte2365

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

robeet do you maintain a source repo for clockwork? I am looking into fixing the multi-sd support and wanted to start from where you currently are at.

That would be appreciated. I believe this version is missing some serious code. Backups would not install for me, halted by format error.

#7 tjevans

tjevans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

I'm having an issue trying to get this to work. I have BC installed right now, but still on stock recovery. I wanted to flash CWM so that I can see what this "beasty's" is all about.

So, I downlaoded terminal emulator ran it, and typed su to which I got access denied. So, I figured maybe "Better Terminal Emulator" would be well..better. I installed that, ran it and entered su to which I get Bash: su command not found.

I've googled and googled and googled to try to find out why I'm not gettting su access, and can not find anything that helped.

So, I tried using stock recovery to flash CWM by unzipping the files ot the root of my G-Tab and booting into recovery...it detects key, then says booting Kernel image then sticks...doesn't proceed.

Any suggestions? I can tell you right now that I am not versed in NVFlash, and frankly it scares me becuase of all the posts that I see of people softbricking after using it incorrectly.

#8 Dave.S

Dave.S

Fishing & Flashing

• PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

I'm having an issue trying to get this to work. I have BC installed right now, but still on stock recovery. I wanted to flash CWM so that I can see what this "beasty's" is all about. . .

I was at HC/BOS3.2 which is 1.2 base bootloader with the built-in CWM 3.0.2.8. So, I just booted into CWM, wiped data and cache, then applied the Beastv2.2.1 ClemsyncomboGtab.zip. That worked for me. I have a little info here:
http://www.androidta...bootloader.html

#9 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

I haven't created one, yet - my setup is a mix of rothnic's and bekit's repos (mostly rothnic's). The only major difference on mine is that I have to switch the volume keys around, since the Adam and GTAB are reversed. This rev5 is also listed as NI Adam compatible, as they can boot from the same kernel.

When I'm back on the job next week, I want to setup one just so it's documented as to what I did versus what rothnic has. But for now, rothnic's repo is a good baseline to use.

As for the microSD, I tried enabling it but I had issues with the SD repartition after I did that (it was trying to repartition the microSD, I think). So I left it as the internal flash only, just like what bekit had setup. I'm not a developer so this stuff is definitely stretching the limits of my coding skills. :rolleyes:

Edited by roebeet, 25 May 2011 - 12:46 PM.

#10 tjevans

tjevans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

I was at HC/BOS3.2 which is 1.2 base bootloader with the built-in CWM 3.0.2.8. So, I just booted into CWM, wiped data and cache, then applied the Beastv2.2.1 ClemsyncomboGtab.zip. That worked for me. I have a little info here:
http://www.androidta...bootloader.html

That's my issue, I'm trying ot install CWM for 1.2. I am currently running BC with stock recovery. I tried using terminal emulator and better terminal emulator but when I type su, I get access denied, or command not found respectively.

When I try to sideload it using standard recovery, it just sticks at loading kernel image. I let it sit for about a half hour before giving up and rebooting. I'm still able ot boot into and use BC, so I have no usage issues. But I'd like ot have CWM for 1.2 installed for future use (and to try beasty's.

would attempting ot reflash BC from stock recovery help at all. Once again, I'm tentative to use NVFFlash because I have seen WAY too many posts that say "Softbricked" then include "I tried NVFlashing to ..." seems that most softbricks occur when people don't know how ot use NVFlash...and I certainly don't.

#11 pqrs

pqrs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

sooo... step 1 im supposed to install terminal emulator, how can i run that from recovery? im stuck at recovery big time!! lol.. you mention that its included in the rar file, but i dont see it? all thats there is update and recovery files?

#12 pqrs

pqrs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

or maybe i should ask... what does this recovery pack do? im stuck booting into cm, thats all it does.. is this even something i should be looking at? you mention running terminal emulator, but that doesnt run from recovery does it? i cant get past step 1 of this procedure...

#13 pqrs

pqrs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

never mind... i installed the 4349 stock recovery update and that got me back on track!

#14 Dave.S

Dave.S

Fishing & Flashing

• PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

That's my issue, I'm trying ot install CWM for 1.2. I am currently running BC with stock recovery. I tried using terminal emulator and better terminal emulator but when I type su, I get access denied, or command not found respectively.

When I try to sideload it using standard recovery, it just sticks at loading kernel image. I let it sit for about a half hour before giving up and rebooting. I'm still able ot boot into and use BC, so I have no usage issues. But I'd like ot have CWM for 1.2 installed for future use (and to try beasty's.

would attempting ot reflash BC from stock recovery help at all. Once again, I'm tentative to use NVFFlash because I have seen WAY too many posts that say "Softbricked" then include "I tried NVFlashing to ..." seems that most softbricks occur when people don't know how ot use NVFlash...and I certainly don't.

You could install CWM using an external sd card. It worked for me. Download CWM 3.0.2.8 rev5, then unrar it. There will be a recovery folder and an update.zip file. Inside the recovery folder there is a command file (without any file extension). Use notepad to open it and change:
From
--update_package=SDCARD:/update.zip
To
--update_package=SDCARD2:/update.zip
Then save (make sure the command file has no file extension)
Copy both to a root directory of an external sd card. With the tablet powered off, insert the card to the tablet then boot into recovery.
CWM should install automatically.

Best of luck and try the Beasty Rom. It is a great one. Everything worked.

Edited by Dave.S, 25 May 2011 - 03:55 PM.

#15 tjevans

tjevans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

You could install CWM using an external sd card. It worked for me. Download CWM 3.0.2.8 rev5, then unrar it. There will be a recovery folder and an update.zip file. Inside the recovery folder there is a command file (without any file extension). Use notepad to open it and change:
From
--update_package=SDCARD:/update.zip
To
--update_package=SDCARD2:/update.zip
Then save (make sure the command file has no file extension)
Copy both to a root directory of an external sd card. With the tablet powered off, insert the card to the tablet then boot into recovery.
CWM should install automatically.

Best of luck and try the Beasty Rom. It is a great one. Everything worked.

just tried this, it didn't work either...as well

#16 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

Also try adb, if the terminal emulator solution doesn't work. A little more drastic a solution, but probably still better than nvflashing it.

I have to look over the Terminal Emulator for HC, maybe it doesn't work - I tested Froyo back when I first setup the Recovery Pack, but I might not have tested HC, other than adb (adb is what I use, myself - I flip back and forth between cwm and standard recovery all the time. I also use nvflash to do it).

#17 buchaneer

buchaneer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

Also try adb, if the terminal emulator solution doesn't work. A little more drastic a solution, but probably still better than nvflashing it.

I have to look over the Terminal Emulator for HC, maybe it doesn't work - I tested Froyo back when I first setup the Recovery Pack, but I might not have tested HC, other than adb (adb is what I use, myself - I flip back and forth between cwm and standard recovery all the time. I also use nvflash to do it).

Robeet,
Could you post a link to a "how to-do" for using adb?
Thanks

#18 CyberQ

CyberQ

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:48 PM

Hello all.

First i want to thank all the developers spending their time making so much great software for our tablets Fantastic!

I have a little problem, after i NVFlashed to 1.2 stock ROM and flashed HC (illumination) to my Gtablet, it bootet fine, but then i had som looping at the welcome screen (tried that before) rebootet to recovery and wiped all, then i rebooted, but now it just keeps booting in to recovery, tried whiping cache and dalvik etc. but it just keeps going to recovery, does anybody have a good trick, or is my only way out to start over with NVFlash?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards from Thomas

#19 ToadVine

ToadVine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

Here you go, CyberQ: ABD for Dummies
Eat. Drink. Sleep. Mod.
'Tis all ye know... all ye'll e'er know.
But, truth told, 'tis all ye needs know.

Market won't work?
Stuck at the birds? Pulling out your hair?
Don't give up! Help is right here:
Dave.S' Tip's for Flashback (which may work for other rom's)
Serailplague's Common ICS Problems
FloRider's
Dirty Bean Tweaks

#20 tlb1961

tlb1961

TeamDRH

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationAridzona

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hello all.

First i want to thank all the developers spending their time making so much great software for our tablets Fantastic!

I have a little problem, after i NVFlashed to 1.2 stock ROM and flashed HC (illumination) to my Gtablet, it bootet fine, but then i had som looping at the welcome screen (tried that before) rebootet to recovery and wiped all, then i rebooted, but now it just keeps booting in to recovery, tried whiping cache and dalvik etc. but it just keeps going to recovery, does anybody have a good trick, or is my only way out to start over with NVFlash?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards from Thomas

Hi Thomas,

If you haven't figured it out yet, go back and install the 4349 standalone again to see if you can get that to boot ok. If so, install the CWM above, then go try BoS 2.4 or BoS 4.1 and update via the CWM method of update.zip and recovery folder. See if this gets you back on track.

Viewsonic gTablet - Currently running TeamDRH
JB Alpha 5.2 (4.1.1)
Samsung Galaxy S II E4GT - Stock ROM rooted.

Please show your support for the developers who are relentlessly working to bring the latest firmware to the GTab. JellyBean ain't too shabby if you ask me. :-)

TeamDRH
Team Flashback