Android Tablets Forum banner

[MOD] - Make Physical Volume Buttons on Herotab C8/Dropad A8 - **REQUIRES ROOT ACCESS**

13K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  steppy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have created a sticky topic for this as I feel it is too important to be buried in the FAQ.
I think this is a great solution for one of the biggest issues with the original C8 design.
Hope you find it just as helpful!
THANKS Aimevous for asking the question!
THANKS arielp for the clever solution!

Tasselhof

[hr]

**REQUIRES ROOT ACCESS**

Download and Install:
Dropbox.com - Button Saviour - com.smart.swkey.apk
Dropbox.com - Button Remapper - ButtonRemapperv0_2.4.1.apk

Optional:
Dropbox.com - Key Identifier - KeynrTracker.apk

Instructions:
Download and install the first two .APK files.
Open them and allow them to gain ROOT access.

Open Button Remapper
Find Key #: 158 (Back)
- Click on it and set it to Volume Up
Find Key #: 139 (Menu)
- Click on it and set it to Volume Down
Find Key #: 102 (Home)
- Click on it and set it to Back

Click on Apply
- system will do a mini reboot and VOILA! - Physical Volume buttons.

Now in order to use the "Home" button or "menu" button, you just need to click the little arrow created by Button Saviour on the side.
- then click the home or menu button.

[hr]

Actual Conversation that led to this!

here's how i set up my device

1. download button remapper on market
2. i change the menu button -> volume up, back button -> volume down, home button -> back button
3. download button saviour on the market, set the trigger on right down corner, for menu and home replacement (this is onscreen softkey, on demand by trigger)

this way, i can set volume on the fly, during music playback/games, the volume button is for adjust media volume, while on desktop screen, this acted as system volume.

give a try.. you'll have better navigation

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
You can also use SoftKey app, similar to button savior, but you can add volume buttons to the on screen button bar. (No hard button remap.)

You Have to be fast when you touch the "popper" is the only slight problem.

And for what it's worth, I use MOBO player. Provides volume, and brightness control when playing, and better than rockplayer IMHO.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
mr.tass, thanks for the sticky

its better the back button is set as volume down, as this will be more inline with browser that using volume button as tab switcher, or for reading ebook for flipping page

but that's optional

---
you could buythe button savior pro if you like, then you can customized the button to more simpler placement, I'm setting it only display 3 button (menu,back,camera) so more cleaner

#6 ·
I chose the button orientation I did to match up with on-screen volume display when using it.

Tasselhof

#9 ·
still using the old (Power+Menu) for initiate flashing, as those combination is on lower HW level, so nothing to do with hihger OS level

#30 ·
I had problems doing the physical buttons, the sound started making a bad noise when turn it up, then stopped, now when I connect the headset channel "r" is giving a very low glitch and the sound comes out only in the other channel asks, who burned the channel will be "r"? which the IC responsible for the sound?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.