what are you using to text using wifi

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 wrighto3

wrighto3

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:52 PM

I'm new to android tabs and want to know whateveryone is using to text using wifi. Thanks for any tips.

#2 Scrappincop

Scrappincop

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

I'm new to android tabs and want to know whateveryone is using to text using wifi. Thanks for any tips.

I'm using Google Voice.

#3 JoeA

JoeA

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

I use TextFree. TextFree assigned a phone number to my G-Tablet so I can receive text from other cell phones.

#4 OtherGuy

OtherGuy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

I'm using Google Voice.

Thanks for the tip. I was looking for a way to text using my gTablet and honestly had forgotten about my Google Voice account. After reading your post, I set it up and sent/received several text messages earlier today. Sweet!
Android Devices
ViewSonic GTablet, running TeamDRH-ICS-Beta-1.3-02JUL012-144631
HTC OneX, running stock (rooted)
HTC Aria, running Liberated Aria DDX FR008 (retired)

#5 b3ltazar

b3ltazar

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the tip. I was looking for a way to text using my gTablet and honestly had forgotten about my Google Voice account. After reading your post, I set it up and sent/received several text messages earlier today. Sweet!

google voice works great

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

google voice works great

I can't get the setup finished for Google Voice since it insists on a phone number.

#7 GatorRPh

GatorRPh

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:40 PM

Outgoing messages work fine with Google voice but replies go to my cell phone. I actually am considering using the gtab for the plesure of viewing its big screen while browsing web sites etc. then switching to my G2 cell phone when I want to text out or reply to a forum post. I am so used to typing on the physical keyboard I find the touch screen board to be a real PITA. If I could get the thumb board app from the market to work it might be all right but holding the tab with one hand so I can type with the other is slow and tedious and putting it down on my lap or table to use two handed causes problems with the viewing angle or wobbling device. The thumbboard installs OK and shows up as an option in the settings but nothing happens when I try to select it. I've also touched the screen in the wrong place while trying to text and lost my work when the page jumped to an add or another page link. My wife also has the g tab and asked me if the touch sensitivity can be turned down because she is sent to random pages when she accidentally touches a link near the bezel border while holding it. Oh well, nothing is perfect I guess. I used my G2 to enter this and know I would have had a tough time had I been using the tab.

#8 fosser2

fosser2

Team DRH

• PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

I can't get the setup finished for Google Voice since it insists on a phone number.

I am also having this same problem. Does anyone know a way to bypass this? Help is appreciated greatly.
Like what I'm doing? Then buy me a beer or 5
It would help all the late nights slaving away ;)
Donate

#9 gangolfus

gangolfus

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

I just put in my cell phone number and it works fine.

#10 bobm458

bobm458

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

Viewsonic lists a bunch of communication apps. I use AIM for text and it works great.

www.viewsonic.com/gtablet/favorite.htm

#11 Vinnynonginny

Vinnynonginny

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:38 AM

Outgoing messages work fine with Google voice but replies go to my cell phone. I actually am considering using the gtab for the plesure of viewing its big screen while browsing web sites etc. then switching to my G2 cell phone when I want to text out or reply to a forum post. I am so used to typing on the physical keyboard I find the touch screen board to be a real PITA. If I could get the thumb board app from the market to work it might be all right but holding the tab with one hand so I can type with the other is slow and tedious and putting it down on my lap or table to use two handed causes problems with the viewing angle or wobbling device. The thumbboard installs OK and shows up as an option in the settings but nothing happens when I try to select it. I've also touched the screen in the wrong place while trying to text and lost my work when the page jumped to an add or another page link. My wife also has the g tab and asked me if the touch sensitivity can be turned down because she is sent to random pages when she accidentally touches a link near the bezel border while holding it. Oh well, nothing is perfect I guess. I used my G2 to enter this and know I would have had a tough time had I been using the tab.

Here's what I did to get thumbs keyboard working.
1. Using root explorer, copy the thumbs keyboard.apx file to the system/app folder.
2. Mount the /system/app folder R/W
3. Longpress on the thumbs keyboard.apx and select permissions.
4. Make sure the following are checked
User - Read & Write only
Group- Read only
Other- Read only
5. Mount the /system/app folder R/O & exit root explorer
6. Reboot the tablet
7. Go into the browser and long press the search field and select Input Method. Select the thumbs keyboard
8. Don't forget to configure the thumbs keyboard for a 10" screen.
This worked for me. Good luck

#12 pqrs

pqrs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

good to know... i hadnt tried texting from the tablet... hmm...

#13 RJC

RJC

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

I can't find a Google voice app on the market and the web version doesn't allow it to be used on the gtab. Any ideas?

#14 JustinTime

JustinTime

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

If you don't see the Google voice up in the market you need to make the 'market fix'. Search here or over at xda for it. Just make sure you only erase the cache in the market and not the data.

Edited by JustinTime, 12 May 2011 - 08:03 PM.

#15 RJC

RJC

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

I've tried every market fix I could find -- clear Market cache/data kill, Google Services data/kill, using Titanium backup to wipe data and still cannot see Google Voice or even Facebook for that matter. I'm running TnT Lite 4.4.

#16 mikespe

mikespe

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

Will Handsent work on the G Tab? I use it on my Droid & would like to use it on the G Tab too...

Thanks
Viewsonic gTab
1.2 Bootloader
Flashback Honeycomb

#17 elgeneral

elgeneral

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

From what I can tell Google voice will handle this but I haven't tried it yet.

#18 Randy_W

Randy_W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

There's a free one in the Market that doesn't require a cell number called TextPlus. Works fine.

#19 wtrankin

wtrankin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

SyncSMS is a good option and they're working on push notifications via wifi.

#20 jpmi23

jpmi23

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

The latest Google Voice update allows Sprint users to use their cell number rather than the GV number they give you. I did that and can now text from any device that has GV on it and the recipient of the text sees my mobile number. So far it works great. If you have Sprint, give that a shot.
Motorola Q9c | HTC Mogul | Samsung Moment
HTC Hero (CDMA): CyanogenMod-7 Nightlies
Viewsonic G-Tablet: Flashback - Honeycomb for GTAB - Alpha 4.3
Coby Kyros MID7015A: HONEYCOMB MOD GBV500

Youtube | Twitter | Blogger | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users