My new WM8650

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 HamBob

HamBob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

OK, got this yesterday. Packaged very well and feels solid. Protective film on the entire unit. No markings at all as far as manufacturer or model. Fairly comprehesive user guide and it has:
WM8650 (7") in the lower right manual corner. That's the closest thing to a medel number I can find.
The screen is really thin and takes alot of getting used to compared to my White PDN. An old PDA stylus works better than finger.
Here is the info I got from poking around:
Model: generic
Firmware version: 1.6
Kernal version: 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty
Build number: WMT2.1.2_105

It looks like it has Adroid market, but it is not. Some other market look alike with limited selection.
The browser will not work. It starts to open then goes back to the home screen. Loaded Dolphin browser lite and it works fine. You tube vids run fine, so far.
Oh yeah and on the package it came in the return address is this company:
Shen zhen Youkeshu Technology co., Ltd

Any ideas on what it really is? What ROM will work, etc...?? It is supposed to me Android 2.2, but not sure. Looking for any ideas and help to increase it's abilities. Thanks!!

#2 abidkecil

abidkecil

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:31 AM

I suggest you to use HCH roms, I'm currently waiting my 8650 tablet too.
You can search it since I think post other forums links is not allowed.
Please forgive my English...

#3 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,471 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

I suggest you to use HCH roms, I'm currently waiting my 8650 tablet too.
You can search it since I think post other forums links is not allowed.

You can upload the rom file here and details.

anyway, there is a new FW for 7" via 8650(0325).

http://www.99pad.com...-20345-1-1.html

download, http://www.sendspace.com/file/bkspzi
Places can find me:

HERE

#4 HamBob

HamBob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

Thanks all for the replies. I am more of a user than a "tinkerer" but have been known to dig into things. I would like to know if there are any very detailed instructions for updating the rom in this thing? I mean detailed like instruction on formatting the SD card on up. Also if the wrong rom is installed is it a simple fix to just load another or are you screwed if you load the wrong one?

I like the 8650 tab for what it cost, but it just sêms like with the right amount of attention it has the capability to do alot more.

Thanks again!
Bob

#5 Dvalin21

Dvalin21

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:15 PM

Is this the same tablet your talking about? http://www.dhgate.co...8e6e844449.html

#6 HamBob

HamBob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

It lơks the same but that really doesn't mean much. I would say they are not the same as yours has a red and white sticker near the port where the USB dongle goes in. Mine doesn't, but mine has a small blue sticker on the side with no buttons that says "QC8 PASS".
My screen will not auto rotate and it has Droid 1.6 tho it said it would have 2.2

#7 classicalguy

classicalguy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

Bad that you got 1.6 instead of 2.2. I hope it's not a fake (meaning I hope it really has the 8650 chip).

I also have a WPDN. When you say the screen is "thinner," what exactly do you mean? Is it glassy like the WPDN or plasticy (more likely to scratch)? Is it less responsive? What color is the light? How long does the battery last in comparison with WPDN?

#8 nieye

nieye

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:18 AM

Is this the same tablet your talking about? http://www.dhgate.co...8e6e844449.html

The above price is very cheap :good:

#9 HamBob

HamBob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

Classical, the WPDN screen is "heavy" glass compared to this tablet. This one fêls like plastic. It had like thrê layers of protective film on the scrên and I wonder if that was done knowing it would be easy to scratch (sorta like "tear offs" on some helmets).
The battery lasts about an hour and half, but I turn off WiFi when not needed.

I am waiting for the seller to let me know of a method to upgrade, but I suspect I will never hear from them again! LOL

#10 classicalguy

classicalguy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

Hambob:

I also have an Eken 001 (the predecessor of these) which had a "thinner" screen, but it was a glassy layer on top (unlike, say, my touchscreen Asus laptop which feels like plastic and needs a film on top).

The WPDN is heavy, and it has a pretty big battery, but no Android 2.2, and development seems to be dying. And no camera, no mpeg video.

Have you tried running one of Vistinious's builds? I think it will improve things quite a bit.

#11 HamBob

HamBob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

I haven't tried to upgrade the rom, primarily because I am not real sure of the exact way to do it. I understand I nêd to format my SD card, but don't know how....so I need the "hold my hand" version (LOL).
Also I been reluctant to try because I am not sure if I try the wrong version, will I render the tab useless forever.
BTW, the seller was no help what so ever. So....I either live with it as is or get a basic process to update it and give it a shot.

#12 classicalguy

classicalguy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

Do you have a windows pc, a microSD card and a flash reader? If so, plug it in, go to the drive in windows explorer, right click, format.

Then open the downloaded file with the free 7zip program, and tell 7zip to extract the files from the downloaded archive file to the root of the microSD. When done, remove the microSD, put it in the tablet and boot.

I think that's it.

You need to download the right file. Do you have a green or blue led?
  • Coresect likes this

#13 gsprings43

gsprings43

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

make sure also that the sd card is a 2gb or 4gb micro sd card and that it is formatted fat32

#14 HamBob

HamBob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the instructions classical and gsprings. I have a red charge LED and green operating LED.
I'll have to get the 7zip extraction utility and maybe another microSD card. The smallest ones I have are 8 gig.
It sounds pretty easy, let's hope I don't muck it up...LOL After I get the 7zip and another card.

#15 gsprings43

gsprings43

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:45 AM

I bought this tablet: http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Android-2-2-VIA-8650-2GB-Wifi-3G-Flash-Tablet-PC-/280661188450?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item4158b5df62

It have green light, what ROM do you recomend? And what model is?

I

well,no one is going to tell you what rom to use to fast,because they do not want to take the blame if you brick it,you will just have to do some research and make a decision on which rom to use,there are roms for the green led tablet on this site,you are going to be taking a chance flashing any rom on a new generic tablet,because who knows where it was made in china,there could be hardware differences

#16 classicalguy

classicalguy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

Dajo:

We're getting different reports on the green lights. Here is my suggestion, although I take no responsibility if things don't work:

I would try 1Onyx's rom first (based on Roger's with changes for the screen). It's post 4 in this thread:

http://www.slatedroi.../17297-m70007t/

If the screen does not work, you can try Roger's original M70007t. Post 1 in this thread:

http://www.slatedroi...tinious-builds/

And if that doesn't work hopefully WesB will tell us what he did to get his to work. Post 20 here:

http://www.slatedroi...tinious-builds/

I think we have different screens on the same basic hardware, and we need the right screen drivers. It appears WesB has a different screen than 1Onyx (even though both have green led machines).

Hopefully, installing these various roms will not brick your machine (just be sure to have the power plugged in when you boot the roms and follow the directions).

It would be nice if someone would post instructions for backing up the rom our machine comes with so that we don't lose the default drivers if things don't work. I'm driving blind because I don't have my machine yet.

#17 classicalguy

classicalguy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

I don't have it either, but main differences are removal of junk, rooted, better home screen, etc.

Yes, all android multitasks

#18 HamBob

HamBob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

I think the only way to really know what I have is to crack it open. So.......as soon as I get my courage up, I will report what I find.

#19 nieye

nieye

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:41 AM

It is? ^_^

#20 ffxx68

ffxx68

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

Firmware version: 1.6
Kernal version: 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty
Build number: WMT2.1.2_105

This is not a WM8650, but a WM8505 (older hardware and kernel version).
ffxx68
----
Renesas Dual-A9 w/3G Android 2.3 *20111220 build*
WM8505 netbook Android 1.6 *UnGoogle*
----
I'm now using Wuala storage - if you join we both get extra space !
http://www.wuala.com...7C6MMMHGNMPGP7K