Android Tablets Forum banner

[ROM - 1.2] Century Eyes alternative 1.2-based firmware - [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2]

91K views 191 replies 59 participants last post by  sharpe351 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
LAST UPDATE: 6/12/2011 (2.2.0)

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this firmware mod, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device and neither myself, Slatedroid nor Viewsonic are responsible for supporting you if that occurs. I would highly recommend that you learn and setup nvflash prior to running any mods, as you may require that as an emergency backout.

Users on 1.1-based ROMs or mods, PLEASE NOTE: Installing this mod might work for you, but there is a chance that you might soft-brick your device, as well. Please be aware of this risks. Any move between 1.1 and 1.2 based mods (or vice-versa) is a risky endeavor and should be thought out carefully, before proceeding. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

==================================

What this IS

Century Eyes is an alternate 1.2 based ROM for the GTab, based on the Notion Ink Adam firmware. This will flash system, recovery, bootloader and your kernel, so be aware of this. You are also REQUIRED to wipe your user data after you flash to this ROM, so please BACKUP ALL DATA before attempting this. Since this is based off the vendor's 1.2-dev branch, it includes their enhanced recovery which you can use for the data wipe.

Century Eyes also adds the following features:

- Rooted and Busybox added (TB friendly)
- Clem custom 1.2-based kernel added (as of v2.0.0)
- Gapps
- Adhoc networking support
- Flash Player (on new installs)
- Dock config file added, for the Ethernet port
- Improved battery life by the removal of the Phone apks
- Youtube and Home Switcher apks added
- Live Wallpapers added (in case you want to use an alternate launcher)

What this is NOT

It's not a ROM for Adam owners! Although this mod should actually boot off an Adam, there will be things broken such as the g-sensor and the camera, so it is not recommended. Please see sites such as tabletroms.com for the latest mods for the Adam.

Recommended Pre-requisites

1. Setup and learn how to use nvflash. This is your backout in case something bad happens, so I would recommend you understand how to use this, in advance. Link details: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=861950. nvflash is specific to Tegra 2 devices only. For users on 1.1-based ROMs (ie. stock, VEGAn, gADAM TNT Lite 4 etc.), learning nvflash is HIGHLY recommended as the risk of a soft-brick is higher.

2. Have your device on a stock 1.2-based ROM baseline, or a previous version of Century Eyes. For example, build 4349 is the latest 1.2-based stock ROM, as of this writing. Details on how to return to a stock 1.2-based ROM are here: TBD . A previous version of Century Eyes is also an acceptable baseline.

Other 1.2-based ROMs should also work (ie. Mountain Laurel), but the lowest risk imo is 4349 stock or a previous version of this mod. This is how I generally test my mods.

Installation for 1.2-based stock/mod users

- Extract the RAR to the root of your internal memory. So, you'd have a recovery folder and an update.zip on the root of the mounted drive.

- Reboot into recovery. The Century Eyes update should occur automatically (click on the Home button to see the build details while it's running) . Once completed, it should reboot automatically.

- The device should take two to three minutes to initialize, then will boot into the GUI. If it gets stuck (and it likely will if you came from a different ROM), reboot into recovery one more time and wipe data / factory reset and reboot.

Installation for gADAM (or 1.1-based ROM) users

- Ensure that your device is running build 3588 standard recovery. This is a requirement to minimize the risk of a soft-brick - I cannot stress this enough! gADAM 1.3.0+ and TNT Lite 4.3.0+ have a Recovery Pack built-in to allow you to easily add standard recovery, if you are using clockworkmod. Do NOT use clockworkmod to flash up to a 1.2-based ROM or you WILL soft-brick your device. For other 1.1-based mods, you can install the 3588 Recovery Pack or flash 3588 standard recovery via an update.zip file. Or, flash to 3588 stock (with stock recovery) for the safest baseline.

Other than this requirement, the instructions to install are the same as 1.2-based users, above.

Backout

This is a 1.2-based mod and I would recommend that you backout to the latest stock ROM (4349, as of this writing). Please see this post on instructions on how to flash to a stock 1.2-based ROM: http://www.slatedroi...sions-g-tablet/

If you want to backout to a 1.1-based ROM or mod, you MUST have a standard 1.2-based recovery (like 3991 or 4349). If you installed the 1.2-friendly clockworkmod, then you need to remove it (see "Recovery Pack" for details on how to revert back).

Once a standard 1.2-based recovery is confirmed installed, you can use any of the following ROM's to backout to a "legacy" 1.1-based firmware: 3588 stock, TNT Lite 4.3.0+ or gADAM 1.3.0+. You would just use the standard instructions for these (ie. add the update.zip and recovery folders to the root of your drive, and reboot into recovery). Other 1.1-based ROM's may not work (ie. VEGAn or any of the GB ROMs), so PLEASE tread carefully here!

I have tested all of these scenarios and the backout does work, most of the time. However, as always, there is a risk here so I would HIGHLY recommend that you setup and master nvflash BEFORE you attempt backing out. That's just in case the backout fails and you need an emergency procedure to unbrick your device.

NOTE FOR TNT LITE 4.3.0+ / gADAM 1.3.0+ -- recovery will be broken, after the downgrade. In this case, just run the Recovery Pack and you can fix it (see the TNT Lite first post on XDA, for details).

Also see gojimi's post on backing out from a 1.2-based ROM to a 1.1-based ROM: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1036956

1.2-Based Recovery Pack

I have included a recovery pack in this release in case you install clockworkmod (see below) and need to backout to standard recovery (oe vice versa). To do this, either use adb or a Terminal Emulator, then type "su" and then this:

Code:
fixrecovery.sh
(this adds back standard recovery)

Code:
cwmrecovery.sh
(this adds back cwm recovery)

-------------------------

Downloads

Century Eyes 2.2.0 Link: http://www.mediafire...esb645tl4ugdm43
md5sum: 3b9f0be536125d7e65b8047c849c7522
(updated 6/12/2011)

There is no supplement, for v2.2.0.
The supplement is layered over the base build - these are just file copies, like a "hotfix".

Changelog:

(2.2.0) Based off the EDEN NIA020060611 firmware.
(2.1.0) Based off the EDEN 1.5 (3105) firmware. Back button should now be corrected, with this update.
(2.0.0) Based on the EDEN 1.5 updated firmware (3005 version), with Clem's custom kernel added.
(1.0.1) Flash 10.3 update, new Market, ASUS LW added, update cwm to rev5.
(1.0.0) First release
------------------------

Tips and Tricks

- Click on the upper left corner to minimize the status bar
- Click and hold the ribbon button to get a "icon drawer" UI
- Long hold the home button for a Panel view
- calibration tool seems to work just like our GTAB (calibration.ini on either /sdcard or /sdcard2 to calibrate)

Issues and Items of Note

- If there apps missing from the Market, try this hack to correct it: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=845175. Also, for the Market on v2.0.0+, make sure that "Background Data is ENABLED via the Settings, or else the Market / Gmail logon will fail.

- GMail is cutoff. This happens on a real Adam device, as well.

- There are some early reports of high-def videos not playing properly. I'm looking into that, further. Standard def videos (ie MP4's and AVI's) seem to work fine. EDIT: I'd have to go back to Adam stock to see if a stock device has issues, which might take some time - just assume right now that high-def video access is spotty at best.

- Do not attempt any 1.1-based custom kernels, as they will not work! This includes the GTAB kernels from Clem and Pershoot, but NOT Pershoot's Zpad new bootloader kernel - that one does work and will be included in a future ROM.

- An explanation on how this update.zip is designed, in case you want to alter what I've done or build your own: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=854175

- Clockworkmod v3.0.2.8 rev5 (1.2-ROM friendly) update.zip (for technical users only -- ONLY use with 1.2 ROMs like TnT Lite 5.x, 3991 or higher stock or Century Eyesl!!): http://www.mediafire...2flqn8b10ebcq44
This is a replacement for standard recovery. It adds the ability to backup and restore system images, for example. WARNING: YOU CANNOT BACKOUT to 1.1-based legacy mods with clockworkmod, you WILL semi-brick the device if you try. If you already installed this, then reflash to 3991/4349 standard recovery, as mentioned below. Century Eyes users can use the Recovery Pack instead of this (see above).

NOTE ON CWM: Do not use the Android GUI tool to wipe user data, or else cwm will get stuck in a reboot loop! If this occurs, there are two ways to fix this:

1- ADB required

In clockworkmod, go to mounts and storage and mount /system. Then, run this on your local PC:

adb shell
cd /system/bin
./fixrecovery.sh

Then reboot. What should occur is that standard recovery should pop up and complete the data wipe. On the next reboot, you should be able to get back into the GUI.

2- nvflash required

Using the 4349 nvflash image, run this:

nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --download 9 part9.img

Then reboot. What should occur is that standard recovery should pop up and complete the data wipe. On the next reboot, you should be able to get back into the GUI.

- 1.2-3991 standard recovery update.zip -- ONLY use with 1.2 ROMs like TnT Lite 5.x, TTx, 3991 or higher stock or Century Eyes!!): http://www.mediafire...ripr3c96h55alg0
This will add the 3991 standard recovery back on a TNT Lite 5 / TTx system. You'd need this if you wanted a functional recovery to backout to 3588 stock, TNT Lite 4.3.0+ or gADAM 1.3.0+. Century Eyes users can use the Recovery Pack instead of this (see above).

- For custom kernels by Pershoot, you can download them from his web site: http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/ (GTAB "new bootloader")

- For custom kernels by Clemsyn, please see his thread here: http://www.slatedroi...or-notion-roms/

2.0.0 homescreen (based off the EDEN 1.5 Launcher):

==================================

ARCHIVES:

Century Eyes 2.1.0 Link: http://www.mediafire...fnff07t45zvf59a
md5sum: b1e65221f4dd993e229369d1d3760378
(updated 6/02/2011)

Century Eyes 2.0.0 Link: http://www.mediafire...76bc2cn8wbxkt9a
md5sum: 10a5137e413b47253545b0306e8839a6
(updated 5/30/2011)

Century Eyes 1.0.0 Link: http://www.mediafire...eercqalhy8by67l
md5sum: 06906cea0dd79e57dbd143b9ab4db14a
(updated 4/17/2011)

Century Eyes 1.0.1 supplement Link: http://www.mediafire...x27cr599ttc0xdy
md5sum: 96413d8c250f26c71df74016c6e75f5d
(updated 5/20/2011)

See less See more
#3 ·
refresh, refresh, refresh

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a prototype already. I worked on this first because I had to made sure it would even WORK.

The hard part now are building instructions and testing gADAM upgrades (remember, 1.1 to 1.2 = risky). So Mountain Laurel might still come first. But the prototype is working so far, so it will happen in the next few days.

Btw, Nenamark scores are 45fps, which is pretty good. The new kernel might not have CIFS or NTFS, but its pretty speedy.

#5 ·
take your time sir

Gtab = best is yet to come

#8 ·
I just released it. Seems stable so far and tested all the basic stuff. Again, be aware of the risks if you are moving from a 1.1-based ROM (like gADAM) - it should work if you follow the instructions, but there's STILL a small chance that you can soft-brick it.

I will release the 3588 nvflash this afternoon, once I can confirm that it actually works. Good thing is that soft-bricking a device is very easy to do now.

#10 ·
Hey Roe, just a quick heads up, the update.zip is spelled wrong. I couldn't get it to install and it took me 45 minutes to figure out the file was named udpate.zip instead of update.zip.

I know, I know, I need more coffee. :)

I'm installing it now; thanks for getting it out quickly and working so hard on this!

#13 ·
I was able to get this up and running on my gtablet which I had nvflashed yesterday and updated to the 4349. The only issues I encountered were after the update.zip applied it gave me this error:

bootloader_file[0]="tmp/bootloader.bin", partition_name[0]="EBT"
E:unknown command [/tmp/bootloader.bin]

Not sure what caused this but I just manually rebooted, then got stuck, then rebooted into recovery, wiped Data and it booted into Century Eyes without a problem!

Thanks so much Roebeet for pushing this out to us hungry g-tablet owners. It is always a blast to be able to play with something new!

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think those errors are normal - what happens is that there's a bootloader command right before the reboot that tells the device to update its BCT partition. The stuck part / wipe data seems to be normal as well --- I always have to wipe data when I go to a Adam-based mod. I think the only time I haven't had to do that is when I was upgrading from one version of gADAM to a newer one.

#15 ·
Well I managed to soft brick my gTablet when I tried this; not a big deal cause I'd previously setup NVFlash (which is awesome by the way) but just wondered what I did wrong.

Here is what I did:

- flashed back to stock 3588 and did a factory reset
- put the update.zip in /sdcard and rebooted into recovery
- the ROM flashed successfully and then rebooted
- got the adamink splash screen and the the gadam splash screen but it got stuck on the gadam splash screen
- eventually after displaying the gadam splash screen a few times the gtablet turns off
- this happened everytime I tried to turn it on

I didn't do too much after that other than flashing back to stock with NVFlash which is working fine (haven't gotten any notifications for the 4349 update though).

My lesson learned it that NCFlash is pretty much required when you're messing around with different ROMs!

BTW thanks for all your hard work roebeet....

#16 ·
- eventually after displaying the gadam splash screen a few times the gtablet turns off
- this happened everytime I tried to turn it on
This happened to me... twice. The first time it did it, I had tried going from 3588 directly to Century Eyes. This simply would not work, and so I went back to NVFlash, then OTA 3588, and then forced the update to 4349 via Roebeet's link:here. When I was at 4349, I was able to load Century Eyes. It booted once, but my old launcher was still there in from my data partition, and I suffered a FC and reboot. I had to wipe my data partition and then use Titanium to bring back my apps (except VTLauncher).

So, the big idea is that I consistently got stuck at the adam screen until I loaded 4349 stock. Try that and see if it helps. Good luck!

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Roebeet,

Thanks for all your hard work, I sent you a donation so you can grab a well-earned beverage of your choice. I don't want to keep you from your work, but I have one small problem that I cannot straighten out. The time for me is stuck in 24 hour format. My settings say to use standard time, but time still is reported in 24 hour format. I have rebooted, wiped cache, and set it both ways and rebooted it. It is still in military (24 hour) time. I checked my gmail settings, and both my email and calendar are set in standard time (I thought that the time format might be synced). This isn't a deal-breaker, just a frustration. Am I alone in this, or is this a repeatable "feature?"

I also noticed in the YouTube video that he had 24 hour format time as well...

Any hints are great!

#23 ·
Known "feature" in the stock ROM. Actual Adam users have he same issue.

There are other annoyances, like the fact that the "Leaves" don't stay post reboot, and the browser needs a lot of work. It has it's good and bad and has always been that way -- Adam users usually throw Launcher Pro or ADW on it.

#27 ·
Not sure what that means - you mean an actual video application? If so, yes it does.

TNT (Lite) doesn't have one, you use the File Manager to run a video (or get an external app like mVideoPlayer).

#29 ·
Anyone else running this yet? Seems pretty good - Except that I normally got 7 or 8 hours of use before the battery got low. Just noticed that the new build (Android CE? - no, well anyway) was on for less than 4 hours before the battery got low.

Need to test it more - but I have never seen it drop that fast. Same settings that I always use.

#33 ·
It would seem to be the normal process (more or less) as any other update. Once you get to the initial 1.2 realm - you can just do the update through the recovery menu. I am guessing that swapping between these 2 1.2 variants would be fairly safe/easy.

I actually manged to screw up the initial install of CE last night, but the recovery had been upgraded - so I just used it to go ahead and do the update again. Worked fine - should be about the same for either rom in this case.

Unless, of course, I am totally wrong :)

#37 ·
The UI - this one is based off the Adam UI (called "EDEN"), and ML is based off the Viewsonic stock one ("TapnTap"). They are actually very different.

I personally don't like EDEN, but many people do. So it's all about choice.

#43 ·
FYI, to all 1.2-based users - I was finally able to crack nvflash for 1.2 - WHAT A RELIEF! Been testing flipping back and forth between 4349 and 3588 this way, AND IT WORKS.

What this means is that you can easily use nvflash to flip between the old and new dev branches now - no more having to go to 3588, then flash a firmware and hope it works (or vice versa). For me, this is a very important thing just for testing.

I will be updating a post here in the dev area, shortly. Rev already gave me the OK to lift his instructions from XDA. On caveat -- I actually want to do the same thing on XDA, but they are so resistant to the new dev branch that I might hold off for now. It's also one of the reasons why I'm not hosting these 1.2 mods over there, either - I'd just get myself into more trouble.

#44 ·
Awesome - serious newbie here. Got my Woot gTab the day 4349 came out, so I've been sitting on stock wanting to try other ROMs but afraid of messing up. Eliminating steps in the process will encourage me to play around. Roebeet - a week ago I had never heard of you - but having perused the forums I really appreciate how central you are to this community.

#49 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you used the "legacy" clockworkmod on 4349, then yes you broke recovery - it's not compatible. I believe nvflash is your only option at this point. You don't have to do a full flash, you just have to flash the recovery portion.

I actually plan to update my nvflash files and add a clockworkmod piece to it. And update the documentation.

#51 ·
I actually had not seen that in my testing, tbh. It's one of those things I usually test. We know that Mountain Laurel has this issue, but Brilliant Corners does not. And they all share the same kernel. It must be the framework or possibly it's a data issue of some kind.

I'll admit that CE doesn't get used much by myself - three mods and only one device. But when NI has a new update, I'll look at it again.

#56 ·
#57 ·
Just one quick question when you have the time. I have two g-tabs, one running TnTlite 4.4 with pershoots kernel oc'ed and the other with BC. Both run ridiculously stable for me. Can I flash CE over the top of BC as easily as switching from Vegan 5.1 to TnT, or do I need to downgrade? 1.2 to 1.2 should be as easy as any 1.1 to 1.1 rom, correct?

#58 ·
1.2 to 1.2 is very safe, correct. You can even use clockworkmod to do it, if you want. It's only when you jump between 1.1 and 1.2, and vice versa, where you have to be careful.

No NI update yet, but I heard it's GB, not HC.

#63 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.