47 replies to this topic

#41 Phoenix84

Phoenix84

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

Hahaha! It's all good. Looks like I'll be calling viewsonic. Would you be okay providing me with your service ticket number so that I might use it as a reference. If you don't feel comfortable I completely understand.

edit: I am running a1.6 Illuminate. Unfortunately those steps do not reproduce the sound. However, I am in Linux. I'm gonna boot into W7 and try again.

edit2: No go in W7. I can't get it to static on demand.

I'll send you a PM.
I wasn't able to reproduce the static with BoS above 3.0 either. Before thinking it's fixed, try the stock ROM (or stock-based, ie. TnT-Lite, ML).
My devices:
Samsung Galaxy S II (SGH-I777) - Semi v14
Nexus One - Stock 2.3.4 - Rooted w/custom tweaks
Viewsonic GTablet - ICS Beta 1.3
Coming soon: Nexus 7
Wife:
Samsung Captivate Glide (SGH-I927) - Stock rooted
HTC Desire Z - CM7.1 - DEAD, sold
Nook Color - Stock 1.4
Viewsonic gTablet - ICS Beta 1.3

If you want to thank me, sign up for Dropbox! Then we'll both get an extra 500MB!

#42 mike ekim

mike ekim

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

This is a known issue. The static is not static, but a fraction of a second sound loop that will loop indefinitely if you have something that is supposed to produce sound. Notification sounds or any short sound will produce a 15sec looping sound. The tablet will either do this or kill the sound. If the sound is gone, the quick fix is to plug in headphones and unplug them and the sound will return. The only fix for the hiss is to reboot. When you rebooted, more than likely you had an email notification pop up and that triggered the loop. It probably hissed for about 15 seconds before it stopped and you manually restarted it.

I would like to know if it is faulty hardware or an unfixable issue. I have experienced it on VEGAn-TAB 5.1.1 Beta, VEGAn-TAB Ginger Edition and Illuminate a1.5.

Actually the static/hiss lasted for over 1/2 hour, and I don't have any email notifications because I chose to not set up email. Now that you mention, I don't recall any of my notifications making any sound, perhapse I have notifications muted. I will try the headphone fix if it happens again and disables it's own sound, thanks.

#43 kwak

kwak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

The static is not static, but a fraction of a second sound loop that will loop indefinitely if you have something that is supposed to produce sound. Notification sounds or any short sound will produce a 15sec looping sound.

That makes sense. I have experienced it with keyboard sound on while using the keyboard. Yesterday it happened simply by pressing the volume up button (which has a sound notification). Reboots always fix it for a few weeks (I always use sleep mode overnight).

TnT-Lite 4.4

#44 Sputnik

Sputnik

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:30 PM

I have seen (heard) this as well. I personally think it has something to do with certain applications upon close. It happens every time I close Monster Madness. Sound works fine during, but after closing it I get the static upon the next sound played, be it a notification, keyboard sound, whatever. I has also happened with a few other games upon closing. Gorilla Bob THD does it occasionally, as well as Pinball THD. It has happened upon closing of GhostTown too

Is there perhaps some kind of "handle" that applications use for audio, and this "handle" isnt getting released when they close?

#45 Phoenix84

Phoenix84

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

I have seen (heard) this as well. I personally think it has something to do with certain applications upon close. It happens every time I close Monster Madness. Sound works fine during, but after closing it I get the static upon the next sound played, be it a notification, keyboard sound, whatever. I has also happened with a few other games upon closing. Gorilla Bob THD does it occasionally, as well as Pinball THD. It has happened upon closing of GhostTown too

Is there perhaps some kind of "handle" that applications use for audio, and this "handle" isnt getting released when they close?

While that's certainly a possibility, it wasn't in my case. I could get the static after a fresh boot without loading any foreground applications (even on fresh wipe). Replacing the motherboard seemed to fix it.

On second thought, that does sound similar to the issue I saw on BoS. I was playing music, paused it for several minutes. When I came back and unlocked the screen, the static played. I haven't seen that since, but it was an odd behavior. I hadn't seen it do it that particular way before.
My devices:
Samsung Galaxy S II (SGH-I777) - Semi v14
Nexus One - Stock 2.3.4 - Rooted w/custom tweaks
Viewsonic GTablet - ICS Beta 1.3
Coming soon: Nexus 7
Wife:
Samsung Captivate Glide (SGH-I927) - Stock rooted
HTC Desire Z - CM7.1 - DEAD, sold
Nook Color - Stock 1.4
Viewsonic gTablet - ICS Beta 1.3

If you want to thank me, sign up for Dropbox! Then we'll both get an extra 500MB!

#46 tabback

tabback

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

read the thread and as a result sent mine back to us merchants for warranty repair for the static. When I called for RMA the tech sounded quite familiar with the problem. Hinted that a motherboard replacement may be in order.

Unfortunately the service from US merchants has been slow. The have had over two weeks and claim they just rec'd. I have delivery receipts. Not exactly dealing from a position of strength, but hopefully back soon and I will follow up on results just to document for others

#47 TEK112

TEK112

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

If push comes to shove, ask for Marina. She is very nice and will help you.
DROID Paraphernalia:

G-Tablet - Team DRH ICS

Moto DROID - Retired - Steel Droid 10

Galaxy Nexus - AXI0M PATIENT ZERO - Franco Nightly Kernel

If you really want to thank me, sign up for Dropbox!

Looking for Tablet Firmware? GET IT HERE

#48 igorpadrao

igorpadrao

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hello People,

I have a GTablet with this problem (hiss/static sound). I contact Viewsonic and they say to me that they must replace the motherboard. The problem is that my waranty is over and I don't have 144 dollars to fix my gadget.

So I'd like to disable completely my speakers to have sound only with earphones. And when I say disable I mean disable the hardware and note to mute the sound because the mute sound do not prevent the hiss to appear.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users