roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

LAST UPDATE: 3/05/2014 (build 3.3.0)
D4NJj.png

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this firmware mod, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device and neither myself, Slatedroid nor Viewsonic are responsible for supporting you if that occurs. I would highly recommend that you learn and setup nvflash prior to running any mods, as you may require that as an emergency backout.

Users on 1.1-based ROMs or mods, PLEASE NOTE: Installing this mod might work for you, but there is a chance that you might soft-brick your device, as well. Please be aware of this risks. Any move between 1.1 and 1.2 based mods (or vice-versa) is a risky endeavor and should be thought out carefully, before proceeding. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Previous ML users, please note that version 3 is going to install a STOCK kernel, as many of the problems with the older stock 1.2-based kernels seem to be corrected. If you still want to use a pershoot kernel update after-the-fact, it's fairly easy to upgrade, but I wanted to go back to a "mostly stock" based ROM as some users might not care about CIFS or OC support. Links for the pershoot and clemsyn kernels are listed at the botttom of this post.

==================================

What this is

Mountain Laurel is an alternate 1.2 based ROM for the GTab, based on the stock TapnTap firmware. This will flash system, the bootloader and your kernel, so be aware of this. You are also REQUIRED to wipe your user data after you flash to this ROM if coming from a different ROM, so please BACKUP ALL DATA before attempting this. Since this is based off the vendor's 1.2-dev branch, it includes their enhanced recovery which you can use for the data wipe.

Mountain Laurel also adds the following features:

- Rooted and has SuperUser app preinstalled.
- Google Play is installed
- Removes the TnT homescreen and replaces it with a stock Google launcher
- Removes the over-the-air (OTA) updater
- Removes most of the TnT stock apps and replaces them with standard Android replacements (the only exception being the web browser which cannot be changed yet, and the music application).
- Development and Spare Parts apps have been added.
- Busybox pre-installed. Thanks to bekit for his work on cm6.1!
- Adds VEGA IFile Manager, replacing Estrongs. Also adds a Task Manager, as of v3.
- Adds back the /system/xbin folder, which VS removed for some reason. Internal binaries like “sqlite3" now work.
- Adds a full YouTube app.
- Flash 11 is pre-installed.
- Adds extra UI animations (thanks to Rothnic for those enhancements!).
- Includes a Mountain Laurel version number in the "About Tablet" area.
- Adds an Adam keyboard and Sniffer app (thanks to gojimi for that!). Also adds a Gingerbread-based keyboard.
- Calibration hacks (see the old TNT Lite archives for nods on that).
- Optional g-sensor hack, for legacy game support (as of 1.1.0).

Recommended Pre-requisites

1. Setup and learn how to use nvflash. This is your backout in case something bad happens, so I would recommend you understand how to use this, in advance. Link details: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=861950. nvflash is specific to Tegra 2 devices only. For users on 1.1-based ROMs (ie. stock, VEGAn, gADAM TNT Lite 4 etc.), learning nvflash is HIGHLY recommended as the risk of a soft-brick is higher.

2. Have your device on a stock 1.2-based ROM baseline, or a previous version of Mountain Laurel. For example, build 4349 is the latest 1.2-based stock ROM, as of this writing. Details on how to return to a stock 1.2-based ROM are here: http://www.slatedroi...ions-g-tablet/. A previous version of Mountain Laurel is also an acceptable baseline.

Other 1.2-based ROMs should also work (ie. Century Eyes), but the lowest risk imo is 4349 stock or a previous version of this mod. This is how I generally test my mods.

Installation for 1.2-based stock/mod users (ie. TNT Lite 5 / TwoTapsX / 5699 stock / Century Eyes)

- Extract the RAR to the root of your internal memory. So, you'd have a recovery folder and an update.zip on the root of the mounted drive.

- Reboot into recovery. The Mountain Laurel update should occur automatically (click on the Home button to see the build details while it's running) . Once completed, it should reboot automatically.

- The device should take some time to initialize (two to three minutes, so be patient), then will boot into the GUI. If it gets stuck (and it likely will if you came from a different ROM), reboot into recovery one more time and wipe data / factory reset and reboot.
Please Note! There is a new 1.2.x bootloader, as of version 3.0.0. Although clockworkmod 1.2-based users should work, I would still recommend using standard recovery to get the new bootloader installed - there could be things in there that will make the stock kernel more stable. It's also how I tested my own upgrade.

Installation for 1.1-based stock/mod users (ie. TNT Lite 4, VEGAN-Tab, G-Harmony, Calkulin's ROM etc.)

- Ensure that your device is running build 3588 standard recovery or higher. This is a requirement to minimize the risk of a soft-brick - I cannot stress this enough! gADAM 1.3.0+ and TNT Lite 4.3.0+ have a 3588-based Recovery Pack built-in to allow you to easily add standard recovery, if you are using clockworkmod. Do NOT use clockworkmod to flash up to a 1.2-based ROM or you WILL soft-brick your device. For other 1.1-based mods, you can install the 3588 Recovery Pack or flash 3588 standard recovery via an update.zip file. Or, flash to 3588 stock (with stock recovery) for the safest baseline.

Your recovery partition will also be BROKEN most likely, post-upgrade. Just use the Recovery Pack to correct this. Other than these differences, the instructions to install are the same as 1.2-based users, above.

Backout

This is a 1.2-based mod and I would recommend that you backout to the latest stock ROM (5699, as of this writing). Please see this post on instructions on how to flash to a stock 1.2-based ROM: http://www.slatedroi...sions-g-tablet/

If you want to backout to a 1.1-based ROM or mod, you MUST have a standard 1.2-based recovery (like 4349 or 5699). If you installed the 1.2-friendly clockworkmod, then you need to remove it (see "Recovery Pack" for details on how to revert back).

Once a standard 1.2-based recovery is confirmed installed, you can use any of the following ROM's to backout to a "legacy" 1.1-based firmware: 3588 stock, TNT Lite 4.3.0+ or gADAM 1.3.0+. You would just use the standard instructions for these (ie. add the update.zip and recovery folders to the root of your drive, and reboot into recovery). Other 1.1-based ROM's may not work (ie. VEGAn or any of the GB ROMs), so PLEASE tread carefully here!

I have tested all of these scenarios and the backout does work, most of the time. However, as always, there is a risk here so I would HIGHLY recommend that you setup and master nvflash BEFORE you attempt backing out. That's just in case the backout fails and you need an emergency procedure to unbrick your device.

NOTE FOR TNT LITE 4.3.0+ / gADAM 1.3.0+ -- recovery will be broken, after the downgrade. In this case, just run the Recovery Pack and you can fix it (see the TNT Lite first post on XDA, for details).

Also see gojimi's post on backing out from a 1.2-based ROM to a 1.1-based ROM: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1036956

1.2-Based Recovery Pack

I have included a recovery pack in this release in case you install clockworkmod (see below) and need to backout to standard recovery (or vice versa). To do this, either use adb or a Terminal Emulator, then type "su" and then this:

fixrecovery.sh

(this adds back standard recovery)

cwmrecovery.sh

(this adds clockworkmod v3.0.2.8 recovery)

-------------------------

Downloads

Mountain Laurel 3.3.0 Link: http://www.androidfi...329332407576511
md5sum: f44718484d3002ee134cec6a8dc908dc
(updated 3/05/2014)

Changelog:

(3.3.0) 2014 cosmetic update, added newer Google Play, Music and other Google apps + the last version of Flash supported under Froyo

(3.2.0) Based off the 5699 TapnTap build, several apps updated such as the Market and Superuser. Replaced TnT Music app with Google Music app.
(3.1.0) Corrected boot image mistake (Brilliant Corners was mistakenly added in 3.0.0). No other changes except that one cosmetic one.
(3.0.0) Based off the 5274 TapnTap build, where high-def playback is finally fixed. Also reverted back to a stock kernel, to make this a "close to stock" ROM for those who don't need CIFS or OC support. Also added the latest 3.1.3 Market which seems to work, with the Market hack.
(2.0.0) Updated to 7/28/11 pershoot kernel, and TnT UAT build 4950. Removed Market Updater (since the new update is causing problems). Other than the major number due to the new kernel and TnT version, this should be considered a fairly minor update, overall.
(1.1.1) New cwm (rev5) for the Recovery Pack, Flash bumped up to 10.3.
(1.1.0) Added a custom kernel from pershoot (his zPad new bootloader kernel). This will add CIFS/NTFS/OC support. Also added a new cwm 3.0.2.8 into the recovery script. Removing recovery from the flash as it can be fixed later (for 1.1 jumpers) and lastly, the g-sensor hack will be removed and added as an optional add-on, instead.
(1.0.1) Added ASUS LW, new Market, build prop fixes that might help viewable Market apps (thanks to jhreid1969 for the recent build.prop tips!)
(1.0.0) First release
------------------------

G-sensor Games hack

Starting with version 1.1.0, I have removed the G-sensor games hack from the base build, and have made an optional update.zip package, instead. The reason why is because I feel that this hack will be fully retired over time, as Android games finally catch up with tablets and we no longer need it.

If you still need this hack, the update.zip add-on package is here: (link updated 3/5/2014)

Note: This WILL break the mouse support, and could cause other unexpected issues. This is why it's called a "hack". :) As always, a big thanks to gojimi for cracking this and giving all of us many months of gaming fun on our GTAB!

Issues and Items of Note

- 3.x.x users....this mod is going back to a STOCK kernel, but still rooted. See below for links to other kernels that you can install after-the-fact.

- If there apps missing from the Market, try this hack to correct it: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=845175

- If you click on the blank Nofifications area, the device "locks up". Just click on the "!" button to fix it.

- Do not attempt any 1.1-based custom kernels, as they will not work! This includes the 1.1-based GTAB kernels from Clem and Pershoot, but NOT their 1.2-based ones. See their links for details.

- IF THE DEVICE IS SEMI-BRICKED, please read up on nvflash here: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=861950

- An explanation on how this update.zip is designed, in case you want to alter what I've done or build your own: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=854175

- Clockworkmod v3.0.2.8 rev5 (1.2-ROM friendly) update.zip (for technical users only -- ONLY use with 1.2 ROMs like TnT Lite 5.x, 3991 or higher stock or Century Eyesl!!): http://www.mediafire...2flqn8b10ebcq44
This is a replacement for standard recovery. It adds the ability to backup and restore system images, for example. WARNING: YOU CANNOT BACKOUT to 1.1-based legacy mods with clockworkmod, you WILL semi-brick the device if you try. If you already installed this, then reflash to 3991/4349 standard recovery, as mentioned below. Mountain Laurel users can use the Recovery Pack instead of this (see above).

NOTE ON CWM: Do not use the Android GUI tool to wipe user data, or else cwm will get stuck in a reboot loop! If this occurs, there are two ways to fix this:

1- ADB required

In clockworkmod, go to mounts and storage and mount /system. Then, run this on your local PC:

adb shell
cd /system/bin
./fixrecovery.sh

Then reboot. What should occur is that standard recovery should pop up and complete the data wipe. On the next reboot, you should be able to get back into the GUI.

2- nvflash required

Using the 4349 nvflash image, run this:

nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --download 9 part9.img

Then reboot. What should occur is that standard recovery should pop up and complete the data wipe. On the next reboot, you should be able to get back into the GUI.

- 1.2-4349 standard recovery update.zip -- ONLY use with TnT Lite 5.x, TTx, 3991 or higher stock or Mountain Laurel!!!!): http://www.androidfi...329332407572299 (link updated 3/5/2014)
This will add the 3991 standard recovery back on a TNT Lite 5 / TTx system. You'd need this if you wanted a functional recovery to backout to 3588 stock, TNT Lite 4.3.0+ or gADAM 1.3.0+. Mountain Laurel users can use the Recovery Pack instead of this (see above).

- Gojimi's VTL Launcher for tablets: http://forum.xda-dev....php?t=1046302. Free for XDA members, or you can buy it in the Android Market.

- SETCPU, for overclocking your GTAB: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=505419. Free for XDA members, or you can buy it in the Android Market.

- For custom kernels by Clemsyn, please see his thread here: http://www.slatedroi...or-notion-roms/

- For custom kernels by Pershoot, you can download them from his web site: http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/

Version 1.0.0:

txIUl.png

==================================

Archives

Mountain Laurel 1.0.0 Link: http://www.androidfi...329332407576499
md5sum: b3626b7818614b0c8ceb7e84af51025a
(5/18/2011, link updated 3/5/2014)
Supplement: Mountain Laurel 1.0.1 Link: http://www.androidfi...329332407576501
md5sum: 7efe257a3960b8d8b57f9a20870047c1
(5/02/2011, link updated 3/5/2014)

Edited by roebeet, 06 March 2014 - 12:31 AM.

• TaterTot likes this
Android Devices: Viewsonic GTab, Notion Ink Adam, ASUS Transformer, Cowon D3

#2 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

And another placeholder, for future use. :)

#3 proneck

proneck

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

Hey roe, anxious to get back on twotaps... switched back to 4.4 for cwmod purposes, but 5.0 (twotaps) seemed snappier.

PS. This place is easier to navigate!

Edited by proneck, 13 April 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#4 sigvader

sigvader

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:39 PM

Hey roe, anxious to get back on twotaps... switched back to 4.4 for cwmod purposes, but 5.0 (twotaps) seemed snappier.

PS. This place is easier to navigate!

I like this site too!!!!I will be keeping a eye out here as well!!!

#5 SeaWolf69

SeaWolf69

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

Hey roebeet I'm looking forward to more TNT Lite updates! Keep up the good work!

#6 matucla

matucla

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:52 AM

Hey roebeet I'm looking forward to more TNT Lite updates! Keep up the good work!

I am also looking forward to your next release...though I am having a great time with your current release! Thanks for the incredible work.

#7 firewater

firewater

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:10 AM

Am following u Roe. Thanks to u.

#8 Dr. Fistington

Dr. Fistington

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:44 AM

Am following u Roe. Thanks to u.

Same here,I'm looking forward to seeing some new updates from you!

#9 jhreid1969

jhreid1969

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:42 AM

Didn't try this ROM, but once you have one ready for us, I will back up all files and give it go and give my input on it. :drinks:

#10 rtusing

rtusing

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:55 AM

Didn't try this ROM, but once you have one ready for us, I will back up all files and give it go and give my input on it. :drinks:

Same here, I haven't tried the newer TTX but as soon as you have it posted up again I think I might give it a try too!
Thanks again Roebeet for the hard work!

#11 K J Rad

K J Rad

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

Been using it since it first went up. Glad it has a new home.

#12 zerospace

zerospace

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

Been using this since release -- roebeet, thanks for all your hard work! :)
Viewsonic G-Tablet: Flashback 10.1
Asus Transformer: stock 3.2

#13 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

This will be the first thing I move / activate (since it doesn't really exist on XDA anymore, anyway) - most likely by Saturday. The hard part is the instructions, as this is a risky ROM to use if you don't install it properly - some of you know that already.

At first, it won't be new -- I'm just reactivating what I had, before it was pulled. :lol:

#14 racedog

racedog

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

This will be the first thing I move / activate (since it doesn't really exist on XDA anymore, anyway) - most likely by Saturday. The hard part is the instructions, as this is a risky ROM to use if you don't install it properly - some of you know that already.

At first, it won't be new -- I'm just reactivating what I had, before it was pulled. :lol:

Just signed up after moving over here from xda. I'm still running 5.0 and its doing fine. Was afraidto upgrade to 5.x. I had thought about moving down to 4.x but its running fine with 5.0 so I'll just wait to see where it goes from here.

R

#15 SixShooterz

SixShooterz

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

This will be the first thing I move / activate (since it doesn't really exist on XDA anymore, anyway) - most likely by Saturday.

Git r done!! I'm ready to give this puppy a go! :clapping:

#16 marianosf

marianosf

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

I'm here roebeet !!!

Disciple definition:

A disciple is a follower and student of a mentor, teacher, or other wise figure.

#17 vectorman

vectorman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Colorado, USA

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

I'm here as well, Roebeet, with a nic change from snarful on xda. Still running TNTL 5.00, and looking forward to see its direction from here on.
Android Devices:
G-Tablet
Nook Color
Xoom Wi-Fi only
Asus Transformer 32GB w/keyboard dock

Windows devices:
HP TMT2
Asus G73SW-XA1 ROG Notebook
Asus EEEPC 904HA netbook
Asus EEE Slate EP121

#18 mech-burgh

mech-burgh

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

I followed you here also, I'm thinking of trying two taps also. I'm not leaving XDA forums, lots of great info, but it's nice to have options.

#19 zyhong

zyhong

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

do not get a chance to try this rom. will try it right after it is activated.

#20 K J Rad

K J Rad

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:40 PM

I flash this ROM on and off my tablet nearly every day with very little trouble. Be happy to help anyone who wants to try it out.
  • Amusedkid likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users