User Experience

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 JoeJags28

JoeJags28

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

Just starting a new thread for current owners to give info on their new tablet. Any likes, dislikes, problems, etc.

#2 zerospace

zerospace

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

I guess I'm one of the few to actually have this thing in hand! I got to spend some time playing with it last evening and this morning, and I'm honestly very impressed. Having never played with a Xoom, this was my first real honeycomb experience, and I must say it is a positive one (but keep in mind that I know nothing about what's 'standard' in honeycomb, so I'll keep my comments general).

It looks as though Asus paid some attention to the packaging design, which is always refreshing. The box is a two-piece pull apart type, rather than the standard fare more like what the Viewsonic G-Tablet came in. On picking up the tablet, the first thing I noticed was how incredibly lightweight it is. It feels like a device you could hold and use while standing up and not have your arms get tired after awhile.

The dimensions are very comparable to the Viewsonic G-tablet -- length and width are virtually the same between the two devices, so the custom-made portfolio-style cover I've been using on my G-tablet works very well for the Transformer. I recall at least one review being critical of the less-rounded nature of the corners, but this really hasn't bothered me yet (presumably because I use the device inside a portfolio, so I'm not bare-handing it most of the time). The thickness of the Transformer is wonderful -- it's much thinner than the G-tablet, so for me, it's more comfortable to hold.

Honeycomb on the Transformer: Thus far, I like it quite a bit. The stock browser is much nicer than the one on Froyo (I have yet to use Gingerbread, so I can't comment there). There seems to be a decent amount of attention paid to details in HC on this device, as I was very much impressed with the home screen editing interface. The default Asus widgets are even pretty decent (though I'm a little annoyed that the email widget is only for the email app and not the Gmail one). I have a love-hate relationship already with the default keyboard. I love that the standard numbers are a part of the main keyboard, but the layout is not conducive to fast typing (believe it or not, I actually kind of miss the tap'n'tap keyboard on the viewsonic g-tablet!). Of course, the Transformer was designed to be used with the keyboard dock, which I do not yet have, so that might change the typing experience quite a bit.

The GPS location precision caught me by surprise. While sitting in my living room, it actually gave me the proper street address within Google maps, which my phone (Samsung Captivate) never has done.

More things I really like thus far: Gmail! I don't know if this is a honeycomb thing (I'm assuming it is), but I very much like the more www-like interface for my gmail account. I also like the more www-like interface of the android market. That's all I'm going to say for now, since I haven't done much else with it yet. From just my first experiences with it, I do think the Transformer will end up replacing my g-tablet as my everyday-use tablet.

I don't know how useful this rambling will be to anyone, but these are just my initial impressions. :)
Viewsonic G-Tablet: Flashback 10.1
Asus Transformer: stock 3.2

#3 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:26 AM

I did a quickie review here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1052649

Agreed with your assessments versus the GTAB. Given that the GTAB itself was the same price just two months ago, the ASUS is a significant step up. Just the IPS screen is a reason to upgrade - I'm still impressed that they managed to keep the price down as much as they did. The Wifi Xoom, in particular, is going to get buried once this thing arrives in bulk - unless Moto drops the price, of course.

Edited by roebeet, 27 April 2011 - 10:27 AM.

Android Devices: Viewsonic GTab, Notion Ink Adam, ASUS Transformer, Cowon D3

#4 Sm0k3d0uT

Sm0k3d0uT

The Hand That Smites

• Global Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

I did a quickie review here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1052649

Agreed with your assessments versus the GTAB. Given that the GTAB itself was the same price just two months ago, the ASUS is a significant step up. Just the IPS screen is a reason to upgrade - I'm still impressed that they managed to keep the price down as much as they did. The Wifi Xoom, in particular, is going to get buried once this thing arrives in bulk - unless Moto drops the price, of course.

Roebeet, is this your new toy?

#5 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

Roebeet, is this your new toy?

Not yet. Right now, I'm just a user as I grabbed the latest update and now it's locked down tight. We need a nvflash for this thing, and then the fun will begin. :)

GTAB is still sticking around - there's still some life in that device.

Edited by roebeet, 27 April 2011 - 11:01 AM.

Android Devices: Viewsonic GTab, Notion Ink Adam, ASUS Transformer, Cowon D3

#6 zerospace

zerospace

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:11 AM

roebeet -- I totally agree with many of your comments, especially on the AC adapter and USB port. The proprietary cable is indeed annoying, as is the lack of accessories (and availability of the keyboard dock). I will definitely miss the full USB port that's on my g-tab, and for that and many other reasons, I plan to keep my g-tab for the foreseeable future.

Having never touched the Xoom, I really found your commentary on what Moto did poorly in relation to what Asus did right very interesting ;). I also agree with your assessment that Asus is changing the pricing landscape for these devices by setting the $399 price point for the 16GB model. It was the price of the Wi-Fi only Xoom that kept me from bothering to check it out.

#7 CrunchyDoodle

CrunchyDoodle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for your initial impressions. I'm looking forward to receiving mine - soon, I hope.

Just a note on your surprise of the location accuracy . . . .

I have an Archos tablet right now. It does not have GPS or G3 - just WiFi. After using it for some weeks I asked the google map to locate me, figuring it might get the right ZIPCODE. Much to my amazement, it nailed my location within feet. My understanding is that google uses WiFi data harvested by their camera cars to triangulate your location. I sat for several minutes and looked at the map and marveled at how accurate they could be. It was every bit as accurate as my handheld Garmin GPS unit. So much for privacy. :rolleyes:

Bye. 8)

[.....]

The GPS location precision caught me by surprise. While sitting in my living room, it actually gave me the proper street address within Google maps, which my phone (Samsung Captivate) never has done.

[.....]

#8 zerospace

zerospace

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

I have an Archos tablet right now. It does not have GPS or G3 - just WiFi. After using it for some weeks I asked the google map to locate me, figuring it might get the right ZIPCODE. Much to my amazement, it nailed my location within feet. My understanding is that google uses WiFi data harvested by their camera cars to triangulate your location. I sat for several minutes and looked at the map and marveled at how accurate they could be. It was every bit as accurate as my handheld Garmin GPS unit. So much for privacy. :rolleyes:

That is quite funny! I actually live right on the line between two cities -- half of my back yard is in one city and my house is in the other, and well ... it seriously messes with GPS units that try to display city names. My cell phone has only ever gotten accurate to within a few houses of where I am, but the Asus nailed it within about 30 seconds. Totally blew me out of the water. (It did, however, get the wrong city name. HA). Go figure! :nea:

#9 jcrig71

jcrig71

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

Mine came in today at lunch, it is SWEET! But, I did have 3 nit-picky issues:

1. The ridiculously short charging cable.
2. The auto-brightness feature needs tuning (maybe a Honeycomb issue, don't know)
3. Approximately 2 seconds after I power it on, I can hear a tiny "click" sound, almost like a hard drive powering on but shorter, happens every time but barely noticeable.

Edited by jcrig71, 28 April 2011 - 03:40 PM.

#10 Fllybob

Fllybob

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

Curious if anyone has set up the stock webshare to use a ubuntu server rather than the ASUS shared space. I am running a ubuntu server with Tonido plug and would rather use that than ASUS space.

#11 Nascar Dog

Nascar Dog

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

I just purchased a 32GB Transformer.

Issues
- It has a scratch and a nick on the metal frame.
- Some back-light bleed on the left side
- The speakers make an annoying pop sound when powering it on. (Right after the rear camera click sound)
Not sure what type of sound chip this has but it makes a pop/click sound quite often.

#12 gottahavit

gottahavit

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Got my tranformer today. Unfortunately i got one with some major backlight bleed and bad pixel. Will call support tomorrow.

those issues aside i am very impressed.
screen is gorgeous.
solid build
nice and light.
flash support is awesome compared to my archos
performance seems good so far.
battery seems to be holding up good.

some gripes.
asus keyboard is slow
avc video sucks, but i knew this going in.
screen seems a little insensitive.

now i gotta find a dock.

MORE
i got bluetooth tether working with my droid x.
sound from jack is very good
speakers not so much.
was able to get some 1080p video to work well with handbrake.
upnp app works quite well. much better than my a101 aiside from formats.
remote desktop with this thing is sweet.
cant get usb charging to work. not a big deal.

EVEN MORE
got hdmi to work but its only 720p and very jerky. also some white dots on screen. read that asus admitted to these issues and should fix in update.
still no netflix. probably biggest downside

more to come....

Edited by gottahavit, 28 May 2011 - 01:14 PM.

If it\'s broke tear it apart and fix it. If it ain\'t broke tear it apart and see how it works!.

#13 SteveSG

SteveSG

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

I have had mine for 3 weeks now (16Gb). Overall I love it. My only issue so far is the Sleep of Death. Doing a factory reset will solve that for about a week before it starts again. I really hope they can resolve it permanently in a firmware update.

#14 gottahavit

gottahavit

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

I have had mine for 3 weeks now (16Gb). Overall I love it. My only issue so far is the Sleep of Death. Doing a factory reset will solve that for about a week before it starts again. I really hope they can resolve it permanently in a firmware update.

just read a review of the leaked 3.1 due next week. hopefully this fixes some issues.
If it\'s broke tear it apart and fix it. If it ain\'t broke tear it apart and see how it works!.

#15 Nascar Dog

Nascar Dog

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

3. Approximately 2 seconds after I power it on, I can hear a tiny "click" sound, almost like a hard drive powering on but shorter, happens every time but barely noticeable.

That click is from the rear camera.

#16 gottahavit

gottahavit

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

so as I posted in the other thread I got my dock yesterday and I can say that I love it. This thing is well thought out and well implemented. The tablet fits nice ad secure, the keyboard has a nice layout and there are lots of function buttons to do all the stuff you want with android. The mouse works nice, but could use a calibration tool to configure speed and click duration.

The charging scheme is well done with the exception of needing a chanrge meter for the dock itself beyond thee charge light indicator. I have tried the USB and the sd card and everything works as advertized.

The screen on/off when openning/closing the tab works perfectly. I see no more lag with the dock keyboard than I do with the soft keyboard. I think the android browser has some issues as most of the lags are there, though as I am typing this now there is very little.

to add to my review of the tab I started above:
Updated to 3.1 and vvideo is now stellar.
HDMI is ok but not perfect
I have to say the onee thing that I am most surprised and impresed with is the viewability of the screen outside. As I am typing this I am sitting in the sun on my deckand viewing is actually more than acceptableed.

if not for the light bleed this would be the perfect tablet. I guess I will live with the bleed as all reviews I seesay all ips screens suffer to a degree and the bleed i get only shows on dark screen in low light. Haven't quite made up my mind but afraid I'll get one ven worse if I exchange.

Edited by gottahavit, 04 June 2011 - 12:32 PM.

#17 HiTekRedneck

HiTekRedneck

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky USA

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

As mentioned by others, a small bit of light bleed in th lower portion of the screen, but nothing I can't live with.
Other than that, after all updates have been applied, this thing is stellar! No complaints from the redneck camp at all!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Samsung SGS II Skyrocket - SkyICS 4.2 D-9
HD2 9193 on AT&T - CM7 2.3.7 Nightly 20120420
Viewsonic G-Tablet - TeamDRH ICS Beta 1.0
Asus Transformer - Android Revolution HD 3.0.1
B&N Nook Color - CM9 Stable OC'd @ 1.2
HP Touchpad 16 GB - CM9 Nightlies ICS with Bricked Kernel - OC'd @ 2.2
HP Touchpad 32 GB - AOKP ICS

#18 gottahavit

gottahavit

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

Well I returned mine today for exchange. I decided to roll the dice on the light bleed issue, hopefully the replacement will have less than the one I returned.
Worked out though, the guy couldn't figure out how to do the exchange with the 30 dollar RZ certificate I had used to purchase it so he refunded the cert and did a pricematch on the price after the cert so I get 30 bucks back. On the downside apparently they don't just order them online like you and I do and I have to wait for a week to get the replacement.

so unfortunately i'm back to my pathetic A101 for a week. :-(

#19 Shykat

Shykat

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:02 PM

Just got my transformer and am hunting for an app for yahoo chat. Tried a few but none will connect with my account which is weird! Any suggestions?

I also logged into the marketplace account that I use for my phone and now apps for my phone show as on the transformer when they aren't. How can I create a new account and use it on the tablet?

Any and all suggestions for yahoo im, email client, the marketplace thing and basically anything would be extremely appreciated!

Thank you,
Shykat

Edit: also, how do you add ebooks that I already have to the ebook reader on the tablet?

Edited by Shykat, 09 June 2011 - 11:07 PM.

#20 gottahavit

gottahavit

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

So i got my replacement from best buy today. Looks like i got lucky. Only very minor light bleed in one corner. No dead pixels.

Happy camper again.