Bricked WPDN

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Ashers85

Ashers85

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:40 AM

While loading the pandigital android open platform, mine went completely blank. It was had the loading bar and then went to a black screen. I've removed the internal SD and had the external SD in it's slot.. I've hit the soft reset button tried the power and the vol + button several times and even removed the battery cable very carefully and tried it all over again..
When I plug it in to the charger there is no light that comes on at all, but when we are messing with it, even after we have done all of this, when we put the external SD back in the slot it beeps at us.. through all of this absolutely nothing has come on the screen..
I'm completely lost as to what to try next..

I'm pretty sure we have bricked it, but does any one have any other tips on how to get something to come on the screen?
Also, I have seen on here that it may be a power issue, is there a way that I can test that??

Thank you

#22 Lil_D

Lil_D

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

I hate to hold up everything but I have a major problem. I tried to install and update and now the screen is black and will not come back on for anything. I don't know what to do now. I really need some help. I have been reading through the wiki but I can not find anything to help.

I'm having the same problem but when I turn it completely off by pulling the battery and plug the charger in my light does come on.

#23 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,269 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

I hate to hold up everything but I have a major problem. I tried to install and update and now the screen is black and will not come back on for anything. I don't know what to do now. I really need some help. I have been reading through the wiki but I can not find anything to help.

You have not provided enough information for anyone to help you ... Read this. ... And ... The PDN Wiki

Good luck, and welcome to SlateDroid.
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#24 panengineer

panengineer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

You have not provided enough information for anyone to help you ... Read this. ... And ... The PDN Wiki

Good luck, and welcome to SlateDroid.

Are these Walmart refurbished units, if so, see the thread about not flashing the SH or S10 FW on top of the SL firmware that is provided in these units.

#25 akassel

akassel

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

hello, here I have a Pandigital novel7 I think a white 70d200, I flashed with this link and after the http://pandigital.net/?pageid=335 execusion (Press POWER and VOL + phrasal and hold for 5 second) restart it after 10 or 15 seconds there is nothing (black screen) I try to restore it but still nothing, I disconnect the battery but still nothing, I change the SD card and i format and have nothing toujour. please help me

#26 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,269 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

hello, here I have a Pandigital novel7 I think a white 70d200, I flashed with this link and after the http://pandigital.net/?pageid=335 execusion (Press POWER and VOL + phrasal and hold for 5 second) restart it after 10 or 15 seconds there is nothing (black screen) I try to restore it but still nothing, I disconnect the battery but still nothing, I change the SD card and i format and have nothing toujour. please help me

Replied to you in the new user's thread here: Click this link
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#27 chittdawg

chittdawg

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

Bricked my WPDN. Tried to use kewlguy's firmware. Now tablet will not turn on, the reset pinhole only turns charging light on..... Wife will be pissed please help.

#28 blazingwolf

blazingwolf

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Bricked my WPDN. Tried to use kewlguy's firmware. Now tablet will not turn on, the reset pinhole only turns charging light on..... Wife will be pissed please help.

Have you read the wiki and followed the advice there?
  • mrsburnout likes this

#29 randomblame

randomblame

Doofenshmirtz

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • LocationTri-State Area

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

break a window and say it was stolen throw device away - lies save marriages.

#30 chambejp

chambejp

Agent P!

• PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationEvergreen State

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Brick is a relative term. I bet it could be got working again. If the charging light turns off when you turn it on and the pinhole turns it back on, then it's recoverable. Although it may require a serial cable.
  • mrsburnout likes this

#31 mac1_131

mac1_131

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

to those of your reporting recent bricks, here in summer of 2012:

if these are walmart R7T40WWHF1 units and someone is willing to send me a bricked one, I would be willing to try to get it back

unfortunately the firmware is not available anywhere to try to reflash it back to it's original state

the earlier Novel's that were released all had a copy of their firmware on their internal sdcard and on the Pandigital web site, so if you ran into trouble, you would reflash them and usually get them back

but this particular version, at least so far, has not had any firmware released yet so the only way to get one back might be through the use of the usb cable and adb (android debug bridge)

I am hopeful that the firmware for these will turn up soon. I bought one just to see if the firmware was in it, and it is not. But I have an untouched one that could at least get some of the files from and maybe restore some of these bricks.

in the meanwhile, we have put the appropriate warnings up on the wiki and a couple threads about not flashing these things with any of the older mods till we sort this out.

sorry you guys got stung by this. blame Pandigital, they are the ones that released it with no working recovery in the unit, and no firmware availble to try to fix it.

you could try flashing this, you have nothing to loose now. It is a flashable version of clockworx recovery and see if it will at least boot into recovery. if it will, it is probably saveable. if it won't, it is probably truly a brick. use another computer that has an sdcard slot and copy this file just as it is (do not unzip) to the sdcard. then put the sdcard in the external sdcard slot on the novel (make sure this is the only zip file present on the card) and start the flash by holding the on switch and the volume up together for about 10 seconds. you should see the android and a yellow progress indicator across the bottom. if you don't, then this idea isn't going to work.

but at least it is something to try. if it does work, the next time you reboot you should see clockworx recovery screen, and that would be good news that you can probably save the thing.

Edited by mac1_131, 31 August 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#32 silverstone77

silverstone77

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:20 AM

I bought one just to see if the firmware was in it, and it is not. But I have an untouched one that could at least get some of the files from and maybe restore some of these bricks.

Hi mac1_131,

Would you mind to dump kernel image out of your "untouched" unit and share it?

My unit is in semibricked state. I managed to partially recover using CWM Recovery backup I previously made, but apparently kernel image was not part of the backup. It is now running without display. I can hear a sound from the unit when connection to PC established. ADB is also working. I am hoping tha t flashing the original kernel will bring the life to the display.

#33 mac1_131

mac1_131

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hi mac1_131,

Would you mind to dump kernel image out of your "untouched" unit and share it?

My unit is in semibricked state. I managed to partially recover using CWM Recovery backup I previously made, but apparently kernel image was not part of the backup. It is now running without display. I can hear a sound from the unit when connection to PC established. ADB is also working. I am hoping tha t flashing the original kernel will bring the life to the display.

I don't think I can get at the kernel. It's not part of the file system. I can give you a system.img and a user.img but unfortunately not the kernel.

Unless someone with more knowledge knows how... but I don't think it's possible. That's why we need the original firmware image. This is the first time we've had units out there with no firmware published for them. Hopefully that will change soon.

Since you have a working clockworx recovery (which is a good thing!) would you be willing to try an older version again? I can make an older version with clockwox recovery in it so you don't loose that part. Flashing the stock versions will put the brain dead recovery back in, and you don't want to loose that. Your unit is not completely bricked - it can be saved if they every publish the firware for it...

EDIT - I do see a kernel backup program on another forum for a different device. I will give it a try and see if it works.

Edited by mac1_131, 01 September 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#34 mac1_131

mac1_131

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

OK here is what I think is the kernel out of this beast.

I did a data dump of all the internal flash mount points (8 of them). That gave me the raw block images out of it.

That might be usable as is, but it was the whole memory block, and the kernel only occupies part of it. So then I took a hex editor and pretty much took an educated guess where the kernel ended. I looked at some old kernels and there seem to be 13 bytes of 00s at the end, so I put 13 00's at the end of this too. My guess is that it is good to go.

Let me know if it works. If this labor intensive manual way to snatch all the images works, I might actually be able to reverse engineer the complete C1SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip flash which would probably be a big help.

I think you want to:

adb remount
adb push kernel /data/misc
adb shell flash_image kernel /data/misc/kernel
adb shell rm /data/misc/kernel (optional)
adb shell reboot

or something like that

OR - here is a flashable kernel fixer - all it does is fuse the kernel. it will leave everything else alone for now. It would be nice if you tried the flashable one to make sure that works too.

So far, I think you are the only one that has put inthe clockwork recovery. I'm glad you did, because it will be a huge help fixing this, and maybe you can be the guinea pig for this if I do manage to make a complete firware for it. Maybe you could try to flash it for me.

Right now, I don't want to flash my untouched unit because the most important thing is having an undisturbed unit as a donor.

let me know if this works!
  • silverstone77 likes this

#35 silverstone77

silverstone77

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

Thanks. I will try these in my first opportunity, and report back. BTW, the original FW for my R7T40WWHF1 unit is PDC1_20120323_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP (I hope it doesn't differ much with the C1SL20_20120224_). Do you know anybody with this FW willing to share?

#36 mac1_131

mac1_131

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

unfortunately there has been no sign of these 2012 firmware versions posted anywhere.

I am just about done reverse engineering it and if the kernel works, then I will feel better about posting a link to it

#37 silverstone77

silverstone77

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

IT WORKS! :lol: ... THANKS AGAIN MAC!
The display is back. Just flash it few minutes ago via ADB. I look forward for your reverse engineering work!
  • mrsburnout likes this

#38 Ryon341

Ryon341

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

I have a similar problem and can't find a fix. I attempted to hack my PD r7t40wblf0 so I could use Android's App Market. Big mistake. I searched for the correct firmware and followed the instructions for the upgrade. When I booted the device, I got the installation screen with the slider. After it completed and rebooted, I got a blue screen of death. Nothing but that since. I have pulled the battery cable numerous times, tried other firmware files, pulled the internal card, and tried booting with no memory cards... all following examples from other posts. I still have the BSoD. Am i toast? Say it isn't so!

#39 Ryon341

Ryon341

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

I have a similar problem and can't find a fix. I attempted to hack my PD r7t40wblf0 so I could use Android's App Market. Big mistake. I searched for the correct firmware and followed the instructions for the upgrade. When I booted the device, I got the installation screen with the slider. After it completed and rebooted, I got a blue screen of death. Nothing but that since. I have pulled the battery cable numerous times, tried other firmware files, pulled the internal card, and tried booting with no memory cards... all following examples from other posts. I still have the BSoD. Am i toast? Say it isn't so!

I am back in business. I was able to flash fw s20_09_3_b_pd_inx7e_eng_6410pop. The device is much slower than original. No App Store - but working.

Can someone direct me to a fw update for this particular device that will allow Android Market and Youtube videos? Also, can flash work on this device. I've scoured the forums for many hours and can't find an update that works. Or, at least, I haven't been able to install one correctly.

#40 Ryon341

Ryon341

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Almost fixed.... still need one thing I can't get working. I had to re-flash several different versions until I got the system working with the following build...

FW SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
Kernel 2.6.29
Building #: PD_Novel 2011.01.27

Device ID: 70200002127011033

I also ran the GAPPS OP_GAPPS_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.

I was trying to get the Android Market, but it still fails. I get a server error after I put in my login information.

I've been searching for quite a while and haven't found a fix. Can anyone provide any direction?