Bricked WPDN

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 dixieknits

dixieknits

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

I upgraded my pdn with the stock firmware and each time I tried one of Kewl Guys' enhancements, I was unable to use Barnes and and Nobel for reading, so I replaced it with the stock upgrade and left it until today. I wanted to use the Market for a couple of aps, so I tried upgrade package 2 which have left B & N working and let me have access to the market . It still flubbed the B & N, but I went on and was able to get market access with certificate errors whatever that is and installed a couple of aps. I rebooted and nothing seemed different and they did not show, so I tried rebooting again with the Package 2 card and it's frozen with the green droid and error symbol Nothing seems to make it turn off . Is there anything I can try to start over?

#2 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,257 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

Have you tried a reset? A straightened paperclip inserted into the reset hole between the Power Toggle and USB port will click the reset button to reboot the device.
Look Here: PDN Wiki Unresponsive Device
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#3 dixieknits

dixieknits

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:03 AM

Yes, thankyou, it is now back to partially working. The two apks I installed from the Android Market which say installed are not showing on the home screen. Also none of the enhancements from the Bundle #2 are showing. Kindle is working, but not Barnes and Noble. The Slideme market seems to have little of interest to me and I can't seem to install any other apks. I don't remember how I got Kindle on there and since it is, I hate to start over. Am I missing something in the enhancement flash?

#4 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,257 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:21 AM

Yes, thankyou, it is now back to partially working. The two apks I installed from the Android Market which say installed are not showing on the home screen. Also none of the enhancements from the Bundle #2 are showing. Kindle is working, but not Barnes and Noble. The Slideme market seems to have little of interest to me and I can't seem to install any other apks. I don't remember how I got Kindle on there and since it is, I hate to start over. Am I missing something in the enhancement flash?

To add installed apps to your homescreen (if they are not in the app drawer)
tap: menu / +add / shortcuts / applications / select from the list.

Which FW do you have? tap: menu / settings / about device

Since you do not specify which FW you have, regarding the B&N app, did you install your original FW twice? The SH20 series FWs need
to be flashed twice for the preinstalled user apps to work.

"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#5 dixieknits

dixieknits

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

OK, I have firmware SH20_20110127_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP Build no. KG=Enhanced Combo 1.
None of the apks I added from the market that say they are installed are installed when I do the shortcut,add, that you mentioned.
I did flash twice when I did the upgrade and on the second flash was able to get the BN to work. The BN stopped working again after flashing the KG upgrade package.. I don't see any of the mentioned enhancements, busy box etc. either... The build says enchancement package combo 1, but I know I added the second choice..That is what is on the sd card..strange..

#6 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,257 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

@dixieknits

Okay, you installed KG individual enhancements to the 1/27 SH20 FW, so...

You had Market running? Then, From Here kewlguys 1/14, 1/27, 2/15, 3/2 (WPDN) SD card enhancements

•Framework Restore - Once you get the market running, it is highly recommended to restore the default framework.jar. The Market install uses a customized framework.jar created by clockworx to accomplish the non-ugly hack and causes some compatibility and stability issues with the newer OP firmwares. This is the stock framework.jar (please select the version that corresponds with your firmware base version).

Also, as a reminder, with the enhanced combo pack 1 installed, the JIT does not play nice with all apps.
(no idea how you got that either?) I am on my way to go check that download...

Posted Image ~cheers

#7 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,257 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:12 PM

I downloaded the combo pack 2 and yes, it does say KG-Enhanced Combo 1. But it definitely is KGs cobmbo 2 because Kindle is working. ;)

Also... Did you install the Update build.prop to SDK7 enhancement? This allows more apps to install correctly.

As always... YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Posted Image ~cheers

#8 dixieknits

dixieknits

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

Also... Did you install the Update build.prop to SDK7 enhancement? This allows more apps to install correctly.
No, I have not installed anything, but the Pandigital Upgrade and the KG combo package 2. I read that the
Build.prop tp SDK7 was included in it. If not, I'll try.
I"m not really sure if the market is working properly or not. Nothing I have installed is showing anywhere on the tablet. Also I get a security certificate error when entering the market.. Also nothing in the enhancement package 2 is showing either. I have to go to the Android Market from my browser and I don't see that I"m rooted either and can't find busybox...
I hate to go back and start over as I have no idea how I found Kindle apk or got it installed. It's been a month or two and this is much stickier than I thought.
The good news is I can read from Kindle ap and Aldiko ap and video player from Slideme works..

#9 nvrpayretail

nvrpayretail

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:05 PM

@dixieknits: Installing apps does not put a shortcut onto your home screen automatically, thus Mrs B's instructions for adding them. Do you know how to open your app drawer? There should be a square or something similar - depending on which launcher you are using - which will open the drawer. Just put your finger on it and drag upward. You should then see all of your apps. Hope this helps.....

#10 bloodyred

bloodyred

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

I think I might have bricked my 7" White Pandigital that had 3/2 fw on it. I was trying to root it or i think thats what I was doing and I did the power off and hold power and vol up for 10 sec to load OPDN v2.1.0 GAPPS - SH20_OPDN_2_10_GAPPS_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip and it got stuck and didn't go anywhere so I hit the reset button and it will load with that pandigital logo page but then goes blank. Any ideas on how to fix this and root it right?

#11 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,257 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:52 PM

I think I might have bricked my 7" White Pandigital that had 3/2 fw on it. I was trying to root it or i think thats what I was doing and I did the power off and hold power and vol up for 10 sec to load OPDN v2.1.0 GAPPS - SH20_OPDN_2_10_GAPPS_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip and it got stuck and didn't go anywhere so I hit the reset button and it will load with that pandigital logo page but then goes blank. Any ideas on how to fix this and root it right?

First, what do you mean it got stuck? On what screen was it stuck when you hit the reset?

Posted Image ~cheers

#12 bloodyred

bloodyred

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:56 PM

First, what do you mean it got stuck? On what screen was it stuck when you hit the reset?

The little android dude with the file and loading bar

#13 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,257 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:08 PM

The little android dude with the file and loading bar

The little android dude with the progress bar is when your FW is being written. Sometimes this process may take several minutes. You need to be patient and wait for the process to complete and for the WPDN to reboot.

FW is written to NAND (internal flash) memory and newer FW overwrites older FW. You stopping this process by resetting at the wrong time may have bricked your WPDN. However, I suggest that you first try to reflash.

Reminder on how to flash in the PDN Wiki here: Method 1: Using External SD Card

It is okay to use the FW you were trying. OPDN v2.1.0 GAPPS - SH20_OPDN_2_10_GAPPS_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip

Posted Image ~cheers

#14 bloodyred

bloodyred

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

The little android dude with the progress bar is when your FW is being written. Sometimes this process may take several minutes. You need to be patient and wait for the process to complete and for the WPDN to reboot.

FW is written to NAND (internal flash) memory and newer FW overwrites older FW. You stopping this process by resetting at the wrong time may have bricked your WPDN. However, I suggest that you first try to reflash.

Reminder on how to flash in the PDN Wiki here: Method 1: Using External SD Card

It is okay to use the FW you were trying. OPDN v2.1.0 GAPPS - SH20_OPDN_2_10_GAPPS_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip

Ok well it was there for awhile and now it seems I can't turn off the WPDN? Any suggestions? Should I pop the SDcard back in with the same files? or if it is bricked then how you unbrick it?

It will load the pandigital blue page but does nothing past that

Edited by bloodyred, 20 April 2011 - 07:20 PM.

#15 geebekazoo

geebekazoo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

Well, if you can't turn it off, you might have to resort to removing the back cover and carefully disconnecting the battery. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then reconnect the battery. Put the SD card with the FW into the external slot, then try to re-flash the FW.
Get Working WPDN Shared files here: --- http://www.box.net/shared/93t5vc7np8

#16 bloodyred

bloodyred

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

Well, if you can't turn it off, you might have to resort to removing the back cover and carefully disconnecting the battery. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then reconnect the battery. Put the SD card with the FW into the external slot, then try to re-flash the FW.

I did this right before you posted and it worked for me

thank you thank you thank you for your support

#17 geebekazoo

geebekazoo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

I'm happy that you got it sorted out!
Get Working WPDN Shared files here: --- http://www.box.net/shared/93t5vc7np8

#18 stevenlee

stevenlee

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

my WPDN won't turn on, just a black screen tried to flash it and it kept loopiing the progress bar (went 1/4 of the way up) and I turned it off by resetting it

now it won't power up at all, I have pulled the battery multiple times for a while tried the power button+reset+volume up, nothing is working, not sure what to do, it won't even go to the blue screen

please help it is for my son, I just wanted to put the market and flash on it and now I have a brick

thank you so much for any help you can offer
Steve

#19 terminander

terminander

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Does the light still come on when charge it?

If yes probably bricked.

If no, maybe a battery problem.
Live is not the breath you take, but the moments that take you breath away. Country singer George Strait

#20 chambejp

chambejp

Agent P!

• PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationEvergreen State

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

my WPDN won't turn on, just a black screen tried to flash it and it kept loopiing the progress bar (went 1/4 of the way up) and I turned it off by resetting it

now it won't power up at all, I have pulled the battery multiple times for a while tried the power button+reset+volume up, nothing is working, not sure what to do, it won't even go to the blue screen

please help it is for my son, I just wanted to put the market and flash on it and now I have a brick

thank you so much for any help you can offer
Steve

It sounds like you killed your bootloader. If it doesn't turn on, and the power light comes in while plugged in, it's toast. I've done that to two now. If the light DOESN'T come on while plugged in it may be a battery or power supply issue.