26 replies to this topic

#1 BUYaDROID

BUYaDROID

Advanced Member

• SlateDroid Business Sellers
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:32 PM

It occurred to me that the OEM tablet makers are releasing snippets of info on their devices, with the intention of getting the consumers to delay buying competitor tablets. So that they can make a sale.

Which tablet are you dying to get yours hands on?
BUYaDROID™ is a Slatedroid SBS approved seller

Our website is located at www.BUYaDROID.blogspot.com

Look for us in Small Business Sellers Section of Slatedroid

#2 thafrogggg

thafrogggg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationIvor, VA

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:03 AM

It occurred to me that the OEM tablet makers are releasing snippets of info on their devices, with the intention of getting the consumers to delay buying competitor tablets. So that they can make a sale.

Which tablet are you dying to get yours hands on?

The next tablet I get will be something along performance/capabilities of the Xoom tablet, but to be honest, as long as my Hype-pad keeps on truckin with what I mainly use it for (book reading) I will not be upgrading. Hopefully, something along the lines of the Xoom will be in my price range (read cheapskate).
My Tablet:                                  Firmware:
HyPE-Pad from BuyADroid        deb-r2.1.1623

#3 BUYaDROID

BUYaDROID

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:20 AM

Oops it seems first reply did not post.

My HyPE-PAD(version1)does duty over my office iPAD.

Quire frankly I prefer it due to the large amount of ports. I have performed a few optimizations to the unit and it is plenty fast.

But I am getting a Shuttle tegra2 unit. I see it as the next stable/common tablet. And it has alot of dev work atm

Edited by BUYaDROID, 14 April 2011 - 05:20 AM.

#4 Maia

Maia

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

Something with similar hardware to that of motorola xoom would be nice. Capacitive screen, tegra2 (maybe OMAP4) and 1Gb ddr2 ram. Good screen res, hdmi port, usb, wifi and gps would be really nice adds too. Bluetooth not a big deal.

#5 BUYaDROID

BUYaDROID

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

The Xoom is way to over priced atm, but it does have Honeycomb

The Viewsonice tegra units are heavily disocunted atm, and are selling well in the US.

Edited by BUYaDROID, 28 April 2011 - 07:08 PM.

#6 Adityaiitj

Adityaiitj

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

heropad c8

#7 Radon_22

Radon_22

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:45 AM

Right now, it seems that new tablets are evolutionary rather than revolutionary. A slightly faster processor, a slightly better screen, slightly thinner body, etc., and you'd think they'd re-invented computing. Long story short, I don't really see anything on the horizon worth waiting for.

I'll probably wait for the next step in Android (beyond IceCream), or Windows 8 for ARM. Then again, Meego is wowing even the jaded iFreaks at Engadget, which is saying something.

When I can find a tablet that has a "serious" Office suite and does video and audio editing at least on the level of an XP machine, I'll switch. I'll probably be waiting another couple of years.
The quickest way to find any lost gadget or part is to order a replacement.

#8 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

I agree with all that Radon_22 says and will add my two cents.

As with most new technology I was excited with my first Android tablet, running Froyo, I knew that I was just dipping my toe in and that it's all an education process for the next year or so.

The truth is, they have not reinvented computing at all, in some ways they have regressed and things are going backwards at each step. The sub 10 inch screen netbook still is an amazing device, running XP and with all the "serious" stuff we don't like to admit that we need, but we need it anyhoo.

So, my tablet of the future will have all that a netbook can offer, so I suppose my tablet of the future is a netbook.
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#9 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,471 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

so I suppose my tablet of the future is a netbook.

No, thats backwards. I had my asus 10" eee netbook 2 years ago before we know Android..=@

Just kidding,

well, we are going backwords. Android is. ;)
Places can find me:

HERE

#10 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

I just bought myself an Asus Eee 901 on eBay for $100, also bought a White Pandigital Novel for $70, so I'll be having some learning fun with those two in this strange period where the "right" Android tablet is not available on the market (Christmas should be fun this year).

These two "new" devices, along with my Witstech A81E of course that is plodding about, doing what it is supposed to do, will keep me busy through the summer nights, nothing like drinking Southern Comfort and flashing ROMS...

It's odd, when things start working well, I get bored with them....
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#11 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,471 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

It's odd, when things start working well, I get bored with them....

Time to get another none working ones and have fun. :rofl:
Places can find me:

HERE

#12 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

Yep, will have some fun with the white Pandigital (its never been updated) and at some point I may buy a used gtablet. All good fun.

#13 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,471 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

Yep, will have some fun with the white Pandigital (its never been updated) and at some point I may buy a used gtablet. All good fun.

Never been Updated? :o that's so funny.. have you look at PDN subfrum, it has so much going on there..so be fun..:yahoo:

Gtab is a good choice too as it's community is very active and good roms. Recommended. :good:
Places can find me:

HERE

#14 munk1177

munk1177

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:53 AM

dont know if your remember me but got a hype pad from you months ago... we had to deal with the pain in the azz us customs trying to get it to me in kansas.... (still get fedex trying to bill me extra for it) lol..... im loving the ibex tablets offered up.. have you checked out there newest one the tegra pad?? google ibex tegra pad it will pop up... loving all the ibex brand so far..

#15 BUYaDROID

BUYaDROID

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

Hey how are you doing?

BUYaDROID has a similar specced unit, It is listed as the Shuttle Tegra tablet. At the moment you can load the beta Honeycomb firmware on it.

We have it at USD 405 with courier shipping.

#16 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:13 AM

I am a little confused by it all, seems that there are tablets up and coming with more and more powerful processors, yet, I'm still not clear about why they need it, as they seem to be targeted at the media delivery sphere, book readers, video and music delivery systems etc, so why do they need all the horsepower?

#17 tosan

tosan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationKaiserstuhl

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

..., so why do they need all the horsepower?

I think we will see the same development as in the PC market ever since.
As long as every year a new OS with increasing requirements to the underlying hardware is released and graphic intense applications are demanded by customers, there will never be an end to this upgrade racing game.

My main specifications for the next two years:
----------------------------------------------------------------
  • >=512MB RAM
  • 8 inch @ 1024x768 display with at least two-point-touch (for pinch-to-zoom) on which you can read PDFs without getting tired after 2 hours of constant reading
  • >=5 hours wlan-on operation
  • bluetooth (-> Wii Remote)
  • USB-, SD-port
  • embedded 720p Flash video support (until it completely dies or replaced by HTML5-video, which I highly doubt within the next two years frame)
  • stock Honeycomb running smoothly enough
  • shouldn't costs more than 200$ :blink:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 DoYoQuE

DoYoQuE

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

I wish for Blackberry PlayBook :good:

#19 BUYaDROID

BUYaDROID

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:33 AM

Quite frankly I think that a device like the playbook, is a misfire, in it current form:

1. Has no 3g capability without a blackberry
2. Has a java engine to run Android apps, because it really cannot stand on it own.
3. Fills no unique need other than to be in the market for BB.

I hope version 2 is better.

#20 scarytas

scarytas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

My main specifications for the next two years:
----------------------------------------------------------------

• >=512MB RAM
  • 8 inch @ 1024x768 display with at least two-point-touch (for pinch-to-zoom) on which you can read PDFs without getting tired after 2 hours of constant reading
  • >=5 hours wlan-on operation
  • bluetooth (-> Wii Remote)
  • USB-, SD-port
  • embedded 720p Flash video support (until it completely dies or replaced by HTML5-video, which I highly doubt within the next two years frame)
  • stock Honeycomb running smoothly enough
  • shouldn't costs more than 200$ :blink:

Have to agree, particularly on the 8 inch bit and the weight factor.
I've had 10.1 inch (too big & heavy), a 7 inch (just a bit too small for reading and web), and a 8" MID 816 which I find very nice and comfortable.

I am at a bit of a loss as to why the 8 inch 4:3 format isn't more readily available :huh:

The only unit I can see on the horizon that looks like ticking all the boxes for me is the Archos G9 80 with the OMAP4 1.5 GHz processor
https://store.archos...hos-p-5016.html

It definitely won't come in under $200 !!! More like $350.

The only other one I can find that might be OK after some more development would be something like the Meiying M11+ with the new Rockchip 2918
http://www.merimobil..._p/meri0656.htm

I would be very open to look at other similar 8 inch options if anyone can find any.
I wish I knew what I was doing