Photo

CMP738A - Market downloads fail (using Shad's 4.3)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ktalley

ktalley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:56 AM

Hello!
I am using Shad's 4.3 firmware, but I cannot seem to get Market to download anything! I have tried all of the tricks from the various sites/forums (clear all Google-related caches, reboot, etc.), but every download fails within a few seconds ("Download was unsuccessful"). I've done multiple factory resets, so that I could start the process all over again (clear cache, reboot, sign in to Market, etc.) -- nothing appears to work.

Does anyone else have any tricks to get Market to download? I've had same result both at work and at home, so I don't think it's any sort of network issue (Market worked fine on my Pandigital tablet). Also (FWIW), I've had the same issue on two different Craig tablets (one is going back to CVS today, but thought I'd try it on both of them while I have them) -- never could get Market to download on either tablet.

Thanks in advance!

#2 td1234

td1234

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

Hello!
I am using Shad's 4.3 firmware, but I cannot seem to get Market to download anything! I have tried all of the tricks from the various sites/forums (clear all Google-related caches, reboot, etc.), but every download fails within a few seconds ("Download was unsuccessful"). I've done multiple factory resets, so that I could start the process all over again (clear cache, reboot, sign in to Market, etc.) -- nothing appears to work.

Does anyone else have any tricks to get Market to download? I've had same result both at work and at home, so I don't think it's any sort of network issue (Market worked fine on my Pandigital tablet). Also (FWIW), I've had the same issue on two different Craig tablets (one is going back to CVS today, but thought I'd try it on both of them while I have them) -- never could get Market to download on either tablet.

Thanks in advance!

Did you also clear the data?

Try doing that for Checkin Service, Download Manager, Gmail, Google Talk Service and Market

Others have posted about this issue.

I ran into the same download error message when I only cleared the cache. After I cleared the data and rebooted, I was able to download and install from Market without problems.

#3 ktalley

ktalley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:33 AM

Did you also clear the data?

Try doing that for Checkin Service, Download Manager, Gmail, Google Talk Service and Market

Others have posted about this issue.

I ran into the same download error message when I only cleared the cache. After I cleared the data and rebooted, I was able to download and install from Market without problems.

Thanks for the quick response, td1234...
Well, that helped a little (clearing Data as well as Cache), but now it hangs on "Starting download" (if I look under MyApps in Market). So I'm not getting the immediate error, but things still aren't downloading (I've left it for 5 minutes, and it never starts). I cleared Data -and- Cache for all things Google, as well as CheckIn, Download Mgr, and Market. Then did a reboot before I tried to access market again.

Frustrating.... (so close, but yet so far....)

#4 ktalley

ktalley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for the quick response, td1234...
Well, that helped a little (clearing Data as well as Cache), but now it hangs on "Starting download" (if I look under MyApps in Market). So I'm not getting the immediate error, but things still aren't downloading (I've left it for 5 minutes, and it never starts). I cleared Data -and- Cache for all things Google, as well as CheckIn, Download Mgr, and Market. Then did a reboot before I tried to access market again.

Frustrating.... (so close, but yet so far....)

FWIW...
I have even tried downgrading to Shad's v4.2 image. Same thing -- out of the box (or "flash") I get the "download unsuccessful" message. Clear the data/cache for everything, reboot, and then it gets past the error, but hangs at "Starting download...".

(I am curious, however -- should I be able to log into Google Talk? I ask because I can't -- I get "Could not connect to server. Will retry shortly". No clue if that is relevant or not...)

#5 ktalley

ktalley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

SUCCESS!!!!!
I have *no* clue what I did exactly that fixed the issue, but it is working now. I went back to 4.3 (after downgrading to 4.2), and about the only thing different I can think of was that I created a new google account instead of using my existing one. But it still took a couple of cycles of data/cache clearing and rebooting before it worked. So I guess the moral of the story is "persistence will pay" -- just keep messing with it and it will eventually work!

Thanks to those who offered suggestions!

#6 Gaujo

Gaujo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

I have the same issues you describe, but i haven't tried clearing data in addition to clearing cache. I wonder if the issue is that I already have an android device (Droid) that I use with the same google account?

I will try a different gmail acct tonight, and see if I get the same result!

#7 ktalley

ktalley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

I have the same issues you describe, but i haven't tried clearing data in addition to clearing cache. I wonder if the issue is that I already have an android device (Droid) that I use with the same google account?

I will try a different gmail acct tonight, and see if I get the same result!

Several folks (here and other forums) have said that clearing Data along with Cache is important step. Also, as I said earlier, I have no idea if doing the new gmail account had anything to do with my success or not, but it's definitely worth a try (I simply added the account when first going into Market, and then once it was working/downloading, I went and added my primary Gmail account thru Gmail settings -- sure I have both now, but not a big deal since first/dummy one will never be used). I also had another Android tablet set up with my primary Gmail address -- so maybe that IS a common denominator. And as I said, be persistent. It might not work the first time you try the sequence, but give it a few tries before giving up completely. It was probably the 3rd time that worked for me (clear data/cache, shut down, then restart and go back into Market).

Good luck!

#8 2525x2525

2525x2525

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

I can not use any apps that requires network connection it will not connect. Can someone please help me.

#9 ktalley

ktalley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:38 PM

I can not use any apps that requires network connection it will not connect. Can someone please help me.

Is your WiFi working at all? Do the expected WiFi networks (i.e. your home router) show up at the bottom of the Wireless Settings page?

#10 Tab Numlock

Tab Numlock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

When you reboot, always turn off the main switch. That's what got Market working for me. Or it might have been a coincidence.

#11 craigsmack

craigsmack

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

Flushback666 got an image together. On the market 2.2 fix forum page. Worked for me

#12 vetteman

vetteman

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:41 AM

Hi, this is my first post but I've been watching the forums for a while now. I just happened to see this tablet at Zellers and picked it up because of the price of it compared to other tablets, since I wasn't even sure if I wanted one. I wasn't expecting a whole lot from it (you get what you pay for), and after using it for a few days, I considered taking it back simply because it was a little slow and laggy, no android market, etc.. But after deciding to install Shad's 4.3 ROM, all I can say is WOW! The ROM upgrade process was painless, it is now MUCH quicker, I have been downloading like crazy from the Android Market, and adding all the apps that I had been using on my Android phone as well. So I just wanted to say Thanks! I am definitely keeping this tablet and look forward to using it as a replacement to my laptop whenever possible. You guys rock!

#13 Deezy

Deezy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:33 AM

Flushback v.2 is running very well
Mobile Devices: Motorola CLIQ, HTC Evo, Craig CMP-738a
Desktop: Ubuntu 11 Beta
Dev Box: Debian 6

#14 poffj81

poffj81

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

i have had my cmp738a for about a month now. when i got it i i did all the stuff to get it to the android market on there and running 2.1. was working great. all the sudden i turn it on the other day and every time i try to get on android market i get "The application Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Now i dont have anything backed up, but luckily there is nothing i am real concerned with losing. my question is What do i do? and how do i go about doing it?

#15 wvbullterrier

wvbullterrier

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

I'm not very knowledgeable about this, so how do you clear the cache and data, because mine is failing on the downloads for the android market as well. I can download from the slider though.

#16 flushback666

flushback666

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:08 AM

I'm not very knowledgeable about this, so how do you clear the cache and data, because mine is failing on the downloads for the android market as well. I can download from the slider though.

settings -> applications -> manage -> all -> choose market -> clear data, cache

bye flush
Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro: CyanogenMod6-v3.5
Debitel (4g-Systems) OneTab: Lionhearts Wopad Froyo 0.6.1

#17 chaggydawg

chaggydawg

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

I used shads 4.3, market wasn't working, I just went thru and cleared the cache and data of Checkin service, download manager, gmail, gmail storage, google talk, google talk storage, market, market updater, and package installer, rebooted and now market works, downloads and all, well atleast the 2 apps i tried at random. yay!

#18 Novice User

Novice User

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

This is all so new to me... it 's like someone else said it reminds me of the old days when I first got aol and spent hours and days just trying to figure out this internet thingee! I am enjoying the process of learning all this and my main focus right now is getting market to work right on my Craig. I think that will enable me to get to my paid movie websites and perhaps connect to TV to watch???

#19 Novice User

Novice User

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

thought I came up with a solution. I created a new gmail account on the tablet but when I try to go into market it still says there's no android phone attached to that account. I'm going in circles.

#20 bettyhills

bettyhills

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Craig Tablet— Google Market Troubleshooting

Note: I had to return three faulty Craig Tablets before finding one that was manufactured properly. Test yours thoroughly. (Does it power off/on well? Does it read the SD card slot? Test the USB/PC file transfer capability, etc.) Make sure your hardware works, especially its downloading capability by downloading something from the SlideMe site. Sign up for a Gmail account if you do not already have one.

IMPORTANT EXACT SEQUENCE in MAKING MARKET WORK:

1. Start off with a fresh installation of whatever rooted version you intend to use. (I used Shad’s V4.3 OS 2.1.)
2. You must have WiFi turned ON.
3. Market requires that you have your LOCATION ENABLED under Menu->Settings->Location & Security Settings->Use Wireless Networks (GREENcheckmark) because some downloads are not permitted in certain locations of the world.
4. You should have a MicroSD card in the slot.
5. Google Market requires that you log in to Google Talk FIRST using your Gmail account.
6. Sign in to Market before ever attempting to go online with a browser or accessing a Gmail account.

Once you sign in to Market, try to download something free. You should see a small downward arrow at the top of the screen, and the process should end quickly. If it worked, Congratulations!

Messages like “starting download…” that hang forever or “download unsuccessful” mean your access to Market failed. Continue below.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

IS IT WORTH THE RISK? There are many ways to tackle this problem, and I tried different solutions for weeks before getting Market to work. This will not necessarily work for you but it is how I did it. Use it at your own risk.

Google Market is finicky and remembers conflicts with other sign-ins to Gmail and Google Browser on your tablet, so if you fail to connect with Market properly when you first attempt to do so, starting over fresh involves one heck of a lot of trying to clean up traces of former logins on the tablet.

BACK UP YOUR TABLET: If you have customized your tablet, this is a good time to back up all your apps and data to the MicroSD card using Titanium Backup. You can later restore certain settings selectively. Refer to the TB software online wiki for instructions.

FRESH INSTALL: Start over with a fresh installation of whatever rooted version you intend to use. Remember update.img? I used shad’s 4.3 OS 2.1. placing it on a clean, 2GB MicroSD card because I wanted to make another Titanium Backup onto the card a little later on. Power off.

POWER OFF COMPLETELY: After every step, “power off” means turn off the tablet using the silver power off button, the two on screen power off /shutdown tabs, and finally the shutdown button on the edge of the tablet, and wait about 15 seconds before turning it back on again.

Power on. Turn off WiFi.

Used Root Explorer to remove Market updater.
Used Root Explorer to replace vending.apk to an earlier version 2002304.
ACCleaner cleared cache in all 32 applications.
Menu ->Settings ->Applications ->Managed Application ->Filter ->All -- Went into two Sync, two Market, two Gmail, two Talk, Browser, Partner, Settings, Settings Provider, Check In, Download, Google Apps, and Forced Close and Wipe Data. Went into all other named Google apps and wiped data in every single one, one by one.

Made a list of which apps would not allow me to clear data, like Market. Went into Titanium Backup to force close and wipe the data from any remaining Google apps there.

Went back to ACCleaner to see if data exists in Market, Gmail, Talk, or other Google app. This is not conclusive of course since only 32 show up in ACC.

Made a backup of the system, apps and data to the 2GB MicroSD card of the stripped down version of the installation in case I have to start over from this point. Power off. Power on.

Again, opened up ACCleaner to see if data exists in Market, Gmail, Talk, or other Google apps, and went straight to Titanium Backup to wipe data (but not force close Talk or Market and supporting apps.) Power off . Power on.

Go back to the instructions above for the IMPORTANT EXACT SEQUENCE in MAKING MARKET WORK and start with STEP 2.

Edited by bettyhills, 27 May 2012 - 06:14 PM.