Fixing a bricked Flytouch II - Expert help needed

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TRGX

TRGX

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

Asking for help from someone who knows a lot about the Flytouch II (motherboard WWE101-MAIN ver.3.3).

Like several others, I accidentally flashed the wrong u0 in the 2582 firmware. (I flashed u-boot.bin instead of the correct u-boot-nand.bin. The result is a brick that does nothing when powered on except buzz non-stop.

I have tried every button combination, connecting to PC, booting from sd card, etc., to no avail.

More recently, I pulled the MXIC KH29LV800CBTC-70G flash chip. From what I have read, this is the one that contains the boot information. (The other, Hynix H27UAG8T2ATR, is the 2Gb storage flash chip). I was hoping this might cause it to default to booting from the sd card, but no luck.

Image: http://img683.images...i/cimg4288w.jpg

In any case, I believe the only solution is to replace the flash chip with a new one that has the boot information pre-installed on it.

My questions are:
- Does anyone here have the expertise to help me figure out a hardware fix? (Especially how to solder the new chip).
- Do you know how I can program the chip, or get one pre-programmed? (Looks like the chip itself is available here).
- If I solder the new chip on as-is, can I then flash it? Or does the chip need to be programmed beforehand?
- Is there any other solution that is easier (given that I already pulled the chip)?

If I can get this working, I will post a how-to guide for other victims of the incorrect flash mistake.

Thanks

TRGX

#2 lanosalf

lanosalf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

Probably this won't help but.....
I think, that if you had another flytouch 2 tablet, you could do a "Hot swap" for the chips, like in regular computers with bios chips.
I mean, you could boot your bricked tablet with the "good" chip and then hot swap the chips(meanwhile the tablet is on), then with the tablet still on(but with the bad chip) you can flash the tablet again(or only the u-boot) and the "bad" chip should be flashed again.

Other "solution", would be to buy the chip already programmed from a flytouch 2 seller, i know some of them sell spare parts, for example screens for the flytouch etc...

Note that exactly the same happens with bios chips in regular computers, if the chip somehow get corrupted, even if the chip itself its okay, and only has a bad flash, there is no turning back...
The only solutions are:
1-Hot swapping chips(you need another exact same chip, from a friend(very very good friend...jaja))
2-buy another pre-flashed chip, in which case is also common to made a hot swapping, to recover the bad chip, and so, have an spare good chip for future problems..., But you could also simply change the new chip and get rid of the old bad one.

ps: i know that someone else bought a new lcd screen for the flytouch 2 from eternal team from aliexpress, maybe they could sell to you the chip

Edited by lanosalf, 26 March 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#3 TRGX

TRGX

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:12 PM

Probably this won't help but.....
I think, that if you had another flytouch 2 tablet, you could do a "Hot swap" for the chips, like in regular computers with bios chips.
I mean, you could boot your bricked tablet with the "good" chip and then hot swap the chips(meanwhile the tablet is on), then with the tablet still on(but with the bad chip) you can flash the tablet again(or only the u-boot) and the "bad" chip should be flashed again.

Other "solution", would be to buy the chip already programmed from a flytouch 2 seller, i know some of them sell spare parts, for example screens for the flytouch etc...

Note that exactly the same happens with bios chips in regular computers, if the chip somehow get corrupted, even if the chip itself its okay, and only has a bad flash, there is no turning back...
The only solutions are:
1-Hot swapping chips(you need another exact same chip, from a friend(very very good friend...jaja))
2-buy another pre-flashed chip, in which case is also common to made a hot swapping, to recover the bad chip, and so, have an spare good chip for future problems..., But you could also simply change the new chip and get rid of the old bad one.

ps: i know that someone else bought a new lcd screen for the flytouch 2 from eternal team from aliexpress, maybe they could sell to you the chip

Cool, thanks for the info. I ordered a new chip -- $5 at aliexpress. However, I'll need to figure out how to program it. And --yikes -- how to solder it. Or, as you suggest, find a seller who has a pre-programmed chip I can buy.

I have a brand new "Flytouch 3" that I just got. Maybe I can figure out some way to get both working using the new one?

Edited by TRGX, 26 March 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#4 TRGX

TRGX

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

One other thought.

Is it possible to remove the 8Mb flash chip and just have it boot permanently from the sd card? I could imagine having a partition for the boot information/system files and another partition for storage. I would be fine with that, as I always have the sd card in the slot anyway.

#5 lanosalf

lanosalf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:02 PM

One other thought.

Is it possible to remove the 8Mb flash chip and just have it boot permanently from the sd card? I could imagine having a partition for the boot information/system files and another partition for storage. I would be fine with that, as I always have the sd card in the slot anyway.

I don't think so, the bios chip(if this is the case) initialize the hardware including the sd-card, you can't boot if you don't have the proper chip, it is impossible to manage partitions without even before initialize anything...

I have a brand new "Flytouch 3" that I just got. Maybe I can figure out some way to get both working using the new one?

You should Google for "hot swap bios" for more info, but the idea would be to use a good pre-flashed chip, if you don't have it, I think it would be practically impossible to flash the chip unless you have the proper tools and more important, the programming of that chip.
I think that maybe, and I REPEAT MAYBE, if the flytouch 3 that you own has the same chip and a similar "bios" you could use it to boot the flytouch 2 and then make a hot swap with the old bad chip and then flash the tablet, and in this way recover the bad flashed chip, BUT IS VERY RISKY, because the FT3 chip could be very different to FT2 one. You really need a good pre-flashed flytouch 2 chip.
I don't think that your FT2 original chip is damaged, so the new "blank" chip you bought from aliexpress won't make any difference to your problem, sorry.
You have another big problem. In computer mothers nowadays the bios chip came inserted in a socket, so there in no need for soldering, you just plug or unplug it. It is very difficult to solder the so many pins without a soldering machine, and is also very difficult to un-soldering it, but obviously it is impossible to do it meanwhile the tablet is turned on.
You should made a socket for the chip first and solder the socket to the board, in that case you could unplug and plug the chip in comfort with tablet turned on and make the hot swap, the thing that the chip is soldered the board complicate things

Edited by lanosalf, 26 March 2011 - 11:17 PM.

#6 lanosalf

lanosalf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:15 AM

Specifically what i'd eventually do is this:
1-Desolder the FT3 chip
2-make some type of socket in FT2 board(so i can change easily chips meanwhile the FT2 in on)
3-Put the FT3 chip in the FT2 board
Now you should put the tablet in flash mode, to use IUW (or burntools).
4-connect the tablet with the usb cable to the PC
5-press and hold menu + power.
If the FT3 chip is very similar to FT2 chip then all would be fine, and the tablet should be detected in the PC.
6-Hot swap: meanwhile the tablet is ON and connected and detected in the PC, you should change the FT3 chip in the board with your bad(or new) FT2 chip(this is why you need an easy way to change chips)
7-the tablet should be still on and detected in the PC, but know with the bad FT2 chip on it.
8-now you can flash the correct u-boot-nand.bin (or all the firmware i don't know...)
and that's it.

NOTICE, this is just an EXTRAPOLATION of the procedure that is used to recover a bad bios flash in regular computers, so i don't know if it can work.
In computers you boot the pc to DOS with the good chip, and in there you make the hot swap, th pc is still in DOS mode and then you flash the bad chip.
Here when you put the tablet in flash mode, you do it with Windows, so maybe it get disconnected so....
Better would be if it were possible to flash u-boot with the update.zip method, instead of flashing with IUW (or burntools) in windows, but i don't know if it possible, or if this methods only could flash the main firmware. In this case all would be done in the tablet itself, you should boot with the FT3 chip into the recovery screen, make the hot swap and then select apply sdcard:update.zip, but i don't think this method is capable of flashing the FT2 bios rom, is just for firmware updates.
I think that the probabilities for this to work, would be higher increased if you use the exact same FT2 chip from a friend and then made the hot swap, with other chip like the FT3, i don't know...

Edited by lanosalf, 27 March 2011 - 02:32 AM.

#7 TRGX

TRGX

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

1-Desolder the FT3 chip
2-make some type of socket in FT2 board(so i can change easily chips meanwhile the FT2 in on)
If the FT3 chip is very similar to FT2 chip then all would be fine, and the tablet should be detected in the PC.
6-Hot swap: meanwhile the tablet is ON and connected and detected in the PC, you should change the FT3 chip in the board with your bad(or new) FT2 chip(this is why you need an easy way to change chips)
7-the tablet should be still on and detected in the PC, but know with the bad FT2 chip on it.
8-now you can flash the correct u-boot-nand.bin (or all the firmware i don't know...)
and that's it.

NOTICE, this is just an EXTRAPOLATION of the procedure that is used to recover a bad bios flash in regular computers, so i don't know if it can work.
In computers you boot the pc to DOS with the good chip, and in there you make the hot swap, th pc is still in DOS mode and then you flash the bad chip.
Here when you put the tablet in flash mode, you do it with Windows, so maybe it get disconnected so....
Better would be if it were possible to flash u-boot with the update.zip method, instead of flashing with IUW (or burntools) in windows, but i don't know if it possible, or if this methods only could flash the main firmware. In this case all would be done in the tablet itself, you should boot with the FT3 chip into the recovery screen, make the hot swap and then select apply sdcard:update.zip, but i don't think this method is capable of flashing the FT2 bios rom, is just for firmware updates.
I think that the probabilities for this to work, would be higher increased if you use the exact same FT2 chip from a friend and then made the hot swap, with other chip like the FT3, i don't know...

What I hear you saying is, Find someone qualified who can fix it for me, or else find an FT2 for parts with a working motherboard/chip! :-)

#8 duno

duno

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

1-Desolder the FT3 chip

made that with a working 29LV800

I think case will not fit, TSOP48 socket is too big

Was able to read the 29LV800 and programmed a new one ...
soldered the new 29LV800 back to the broken Pad, reboots with vibartion all the time ...

Not working to me ...

Not working to me ...

Not working to me ...

You can find both ROMs from the working 29LV800 and "non-working" LV400 also on xda,
they are identical ...

I think we need help from infoTMIC or a manufactor to fix our Pads ...

Attached Files

#9 TRGX

TRGX

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

soldered the new 29LV800 back to the broken Pad, reboots with vibartion all the time ...

Not working to me ...

Not working to me ...

Not working to me ...

You can find both ROMs from the working 29LV800 and "non-working" LV400 also on xda,
they are identical ...

I emailed Sinadeal (where I bought mine) and am waiting for a reply. I had the vibrating constantly problem before I took out my chip. (I also disconnected the buzzer as it was driving me crazy).

I am interested in possibly programming a new chip -- we can buy the exact same one (MXIC KH29LV800CBTC-70G) for $5. However, I have no idea how to program a chip. What hardware do I need?

Let's not give up yet!

TRGX

#10 TRGX

TRGX

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

Can you tell us how you soldered the chip on? Maybe photos?

TRGX

#11 duno

duno

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

I am interested in possibly programming a new chip -- we can buy the exact same one (MXIC KH29LV800CBTC-70G) for $5. However, I have no idea how to program a chip. What hardware do I need?

Let's not give up yet!

TRGX

Couldn't find any differences from a MX 29LV800 "C" to a "B" ... hmmm, I compared the sheets ... got the sheets from

http://www.ezoflash.com/

Cheapest programmer you can get or build by yourself ...

But a Willem with a TSOP48 adapter is also ok ... not so expensive like a GALEP ;)

Willem programmer you can find on ###########, not so "expensive" ... I posted also on xda, I think it was about 40 Euro ...

Ok, a new FT2 cost in China about 65~90 Euro ... but not so much fun ;)

#12 lanosalf

lanosalf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:24 AM

MX29LV800CB - FlyTouch2.zip (203.98K)
KH29SV400 - FlyTouch2.zip (203.47K)

duno:
From what i can see in this files, your dump is from an already updated u-boot-nand.bin LV800 with 0.6.1.2_1.4.587_OV2655 version.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
So, perhaps, if you had the binary dumped from an "old", not yet updated, LV800, your problem will be solved. Perhaps the 0.6.1.2_1.4.587_OV2655 "Bios" is not compatible with you hardware revision...

Edited by lanosalf, 29 March 2011 - 01:27 AM.

#13 duno

duno

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I dumped both, 1Mbyte (LV800) from the working Pad and 512Kbyte (LV400) from the "broken" Pad.

And when you compare them you'll see, that they are identical.

That is what I don't understand!

And after we soldered back the LV800 to the "working" Pad, my "working" Pad is dead!

Not boot up, nothing :(

#14 lanosalf

lanosalf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

I dumped both, 1Mbyte (LV800) from the working Pad and 512Kbyte (LV400) from the "broken" Pad.

And when you compare them you'll see, that they are identical.

That is what I don't understand!

And after we soldered back the LV800 to the "working" Pad, my "working" Pad is dead!

Not boot up, nothing :(

Oh i get it, that's strange about your "working" pad, not working anymore, maybe you didn't soldered it okay, i know that you already check it, but it should work in the "working" pad if you soldered back correctly and the chip didn't get damaged(or re-wrote), is pure logic, but logic not always apply, sorry.
But, i was talking about your "non-working" pad. I compare your two files(which are the same) with the one named u-boot-nand.bin located in the folder 0.6.1.2_1.4.587_OV2655 from the 2852 firmware package.
The 512kb (LV400) file is equal in comparison to the file u-boot-nand.bin. So you are trying to boot you "first bricked tablet" with the u-boot in 2852. What i said, is that you probably need the original u-boot, because perhaps your "first bricked tablet" is not compatible with u-boot version of the 2852 firmware.
ps: if you compare your two files they are not exactly the same as the u-boot-nand.bin OV2655, the first 256kb are indeed the same, but your files have an extra 14 bytes, so they are not exactly the same, i don't know why. It must be something else i don't know.

#15 duno

duno

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:35 AM

... you probably need the original u-boot, because perhaps your "first bricked tablet" is not compatible with u-boot version of the 2852 firmware.

I used the 2852 (1.9) on both Pads in the past and was working fine ...

#16 nguyen

nguyen

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:16 AM

Not working to me ...

Not working to me ...

Not working to me ...

they are identical ...

are these attached files from working flytouch 2?

#17 omarkharrat

omarkharrat

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:15 AM

are these attached files from working flytouch 2?

Dear sir i have got the same problem,
and i am interested how you will fix it,
please keep in touch and tell where did you reach?
GOOD BLESS U
REGARDS

#18 sharpe351

sharpe351

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationApopka, FL

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

Not exactly sure why you are talking about swapping chips. XDA has step by step instructions on how to recover these pads. There are also quite a few threads that are very precise about NOT flashing ROMs without knowing which one you have first. I think that you may have flashed a 2 ROM on a 3 Pad. That is indeed a big no-no. If you have the 512 memory module then you can flash Tims Rom (I think). It works on the Disco10 models.

Sent from a rooted SuperPAD clone with Android 2.2 :p
Devices: Asus Transformer running ICS no-bloat deodexed and zipaligned, Motorola Triumph on ICS/CM9 ROM, Pandigital Novel White.

Official released ROMs:PRIME Redux v1.0

If you can't get ahold of me here, check HERE...

Custom UOT file built for Brilliant Corners (BC Comb) Confirmed working on FrankenTab Alpha--HERE

Custom UOT file built for Clemsyn's Beast ROM (BeastyComb)--HERE

Member of Team Flashback

Seeking team members for Asus ICS modification... PM me for details

#19 niallb

niallb

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:42 AM

Not exactly sure why you are talking about swapping chips. XDA has step by step instructions on how to recover these pads...

Hi @sharpe351.
Since reading your post two weeks ago, I have searched XDA to see can I find the thread you refer to,
but I cannot find any step by step instructions for the superpad/flytouch II that don't involve swapping the chip.

I'm no stranger to a soldering iron, but if such a process exists, it makes more sense to try it
before taking such action. I also have a flytouch II which buzzes incessantly when powered on.

Any chance you can link the thread, or give its full title?
Have you personally and successfully performed the procedure it outlines?
Looking forward to hearing your reply.
Thanks.
zt-180 v1 256MB/2G ruby v1.4 1024x600

#20 sharpe351

sharpe351

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationApopka, FL

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:08 PM

Hi @sharpe351.
Since reading your post two weeks ago, I have searched XDA to see can I find the thread you refer to,
but I cannot find any step by step instructions for the superpad/flytouch II that don't involve swapping the chip.

I'm no stranger to a soldering iron, but if such a process exists, it makes more sense to try it
before taking such action. I also have a flytouch II which buzzes incessantly when powered on.

Any chance you can link the thread, or give its full title?
Have you personally and successfully performed the procedure it outlines?
Looking forward to hearing your reply.
Thanks.

Search xda for the stragulus 2 pass method. It is a way to revive these tablets when the wrong ROM has been flashed. Most times it ends up with bad sectors of memory that are the root cause of the problem.

Sent from my LG OP V using Tapatalk
  • niallb likes this
Devices: Asus Transformer running ICS no-bloat deodexed and zipaligned, Motorola Triumph on ICS/CM9 ROM, Pandigital Novel White.

Official released ROMs:PRIME Redux v1.0

If you can't get ahold of me here, check HERE...

Custom UOT file built for Brilliant Corners (BC Comb) Confirmed working on FrankenTab Alpha--HERE

Custom UOT file built for Clemsyn's Beast ROM (BeastyComb)--HERE

Member of Team Flashback

Seeking team members for Asus ICS modification... PM me for details