Amazon Appstore for Android

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OdyMan

OdyMan

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

The Amazon Appstore for Android just launched. I downloaded the app to my WPDN (w/ keywlguy's OFW 2.1.0 w/ GAPPS). The app installed just fine. I tried downloading Agry Birds Rio, but it caused my Novel 7 to reboot. I tried installing other apps via the Appstore, and it's not working anymore.

Has anyone else tried the new Appstore and had success with any downloaded apps? Thanks.

*** UPDATE ***
I just upggraded to KG's OFW 2.1.1...still no go on the new Appstore. When I try installing any apps, it just brings me back to the Appstore's home page right after clicking on the INSTALL button.

Here's a mirror to the Amazon Appstore app: http://www.mediafire...1cjsbknuemkcsjz

Edited by OdyMan, 22 March 2011 - 11:24 AM.

#2 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

The Amazon Appstore for Android just launched. I downloaded the app to my Pandigital Novel 7 (w/ keywlguy's OFW 2.1.0). The app installed just fine. I tried downloading Agry Birds Rio, but it caused my Novel 7 to reboot. I tried installing other apps via the Appstore, and it's not working anymore.

Has anyone else tried the new Appstore and had success with any downloaded apps? Thanks.

Found this on XDA, if the Amazon links are down: http://dl.dropbox.co...ore-release.apk

Going to test this on my BPDN9, shortly.

EDIT: It's working and I was able to download and run Angry Birds Rio. The background is all white, but other than that it runs OK. A little choppy, but playable!

Btw, one Free Paid App a Day - a pretty good deal, imo.

Edited by roebeet, 22 March 2011 - 11:45 AM.

Android Devices: Viewsonic GTab, Notion Ink Adam, ASUS Transformer, Cowon D3

#3 desiv

desiv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

Just installed it on my 7" WPDN with KGs GAPPs.
Was a bit quirky, but ran and I dl'd installed Angry Birds Rio. Haven't run it yet..
Heading to meeting..
(Needed something to do in the meeting that would be productive..)

desiv

#4 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

Found one annoying caveat -- you need the App Store installed to run any apps you download, even free apps. If you move them over to another device without it, it doesn't work. There's some "phone home" stuff going on, which I am not too thrilled about.

For the "Free Paid App of the Day", I guess I can live with that. But for really free apps, I'm sticking with the Google Market for now.

Edited by roebeet, 22 March 2011 - 12:17 PM.

Android Devices: Viewsonic GTab, Notion Ink Adam, ASUS Transformer, Cowon D3

#5 OdyMan

OdyMan

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

Everything working now. JIT was causing the issue in 2.1.0/2.1.1. Just had to install DVM. Thanks.

Sent from my PD_Novel using Tapatalk

#6 desiv

desiv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

Same here.
I have to be connected to the internet AND logged into the Amazon Appstore..

Not good for areas with no connectivity.

desiv

#7 DaveKnowsAll

DaveKnowsAll

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

I installed appstore and Angry Birds Rio without a hitch when I got home. I thought it might overload the poor Novel, but it runs smoother than the first one. Like roebeet, my background is white (at least in the first few levels...I didn't actually notice until he mentioned it, but there's no jerkiness at all. I have a v1 WPDN running 2.1.1 with market only.

Edited by DaveKnowsAll, 22 March 2011 - 06:48 PM.

#8 DaveKnowsAll

DaveKnowsAll

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

Same here.
I have to be connected to the internet AND logged into the Amazon Appstore..

Not good for areas with no connectivity.

desiv

Holy smoke you are right... The application runs fine with wifi turned off, but it runs behind a appstore window that closes the app when you click ok. Seems like I just need an alt-tab to switch apps and hide the notification, but I can't even bring up the menu bar. I killed a DRM management process and checkin process, and then I couldn't run the game even when connected and logged in to the Amazon app store.

Just for kicks, I started a game, turned off wifi, and returned to the game...I guess amazon got fed up with all of my messing around. Now even when connected it says "unknown error...please visit the appstore and redownload the app"...I have tried, but no joy. The app is clearly running behind the window, so the problem is not with angry birds, but with the phoning home. I guess they showed me. Or maybe they just motivated me.

Forget us guys trying to make a cheap Android pad work wonders ... I imagine when everyone who downloaded the appstore today and got a free or paid app and then tries to pass some time on the airplane tomorrow and finds that they are locked out of their apps, Amazon will get an earful.

Edited by DaveKnowsAll, 22 March 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#9 rlw

rlw

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

I just installed it. I've got a WPDN, KG 3/2 GAPPS firmware, and the firmware fix. No matter what I select (I was trying to install Evernote free), I always just get the home page with "Top Paid", "Top Free", and "Top Rated". I'm goin' back to Market 'til they get it fixed, and remove their phone home stuff...

RLW

#10 Zero7

Zero7

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

I just installed it. I've got a WPDN, KG 3/2 GAPPS firmware, and the firmware fix. No matter what I select (I was trying to install Evernote free), I always just get the home page with "Top Paid", "Top Free", and "Top Rated". I'm goin' back to Market 'til they get it fixed, and remove their phone home stuff...

RLW

I got the same error and I guess it is due to no payment card on their file. It gave me an error once asking me to add Payment Method to the account.

#11 DVD2955

DVD2955

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:03 AM

I don't know what to say for once I am not the one having troulbes.. my system has been upgraded and downgraged so many times I have kind of lost track where I am in the Firmware world.

But...
The "Amazon Store" installed and ran with out a hitch other than.. ..The "ONE CLICK".. I had to log on to the main site from my PC to set the "ONE CLICK" setting and order the items.... then use the Android App to download and install.

Angry Birds Rio [Apps for Android] Free app of the day is the first "Angry Birds" app that run correct on my system!?! Kind of fun to knock things down.

Somebody stated that apps would not work with out a connection... I just hope that this is not true!

:David
Version: 1 Kohls WPDN: Firmware Being Used As Of 03/28/11:
RoeBeet's: Alternate WPDN Firmware: Modified OP/Stock OPDN v1.1.0 (With Gapps) + OPDN v1.1.1 Supplement + BrownTiger's incremental update: 03/24/11.

#12 DaveKnowsAll

DaveKnowsAll

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:21 AM

I got the same error and I guess it is due to no payment card on their file. It gave me an error once asking me to add Payment Method to the account.

Try again now. I'm pretty sure we just overloaded their servers...can't say that about Amazon too often. My problems with "reinstall app" all went away after peak hours.

I can start the app connected, and then turn off wifi and keep on playing, so I guess there's one option to leave it running in the background and play whenever you want without a connection. I only did it for a few levels... can't guarantee it won't try to check in at some point, but it looks like it's just a start-up check.

#13 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:55 AM

Guess who just got sued by the Pirates of Cuppertino over the name "App Store."

http://www.bloomberg...-trademark.html
Don't EVEN ask until you READ THE PDN WIKI *PM me for editing access.

There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.
~Thoreau

Posted Image

#14 Everett1954

Everett1954

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hi,

I am having the same problem as RLW. I am running Roebeets 1.1.0 GAPPS with Browntigers 3/02 update. Any ideas?

#15 aladdin9

aladdin9

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

Today's 4-2-2011 free game, Flight Control, doesn't appear to work after 2-4 planes appear onscreen. I have the WPDN and tried 3 stock firmware options:
SKI20_20110331_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
SH20_20110127_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip

I wonder if it might be my device, I have been unable to get the Angry Birds Rio (Ad-Free) to load beyond the intro screens.
  • Mark Adams likes this

#16 OdyMan

OdyMan

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:27 PM

The Amazon app store itself didn't work for me initially, but after removing JIT/reinstall DVM, it worked just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users