Android Tablets Forum banner

New FW on Support Mirror Site - SKI20 Prefix: Confirmed Kindle Version!

37K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  mrsburnout 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hmm... There is a new firmware (SKI20_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP) posted on the Pandigital Support mirror site. Which Pandigital tablet is this for?

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, CraZy oDDball reporting in LOL!!! I flashed it!!

Thanks to jaamoke for posting the FW announcement +1
EDIT: I always factory data reset before flashing anything.

7 inch Pandigital Multimedia Novel: KINDLE VERSION!!
User Guide R70G100

Homescreen picture:

FW version: SKI20_20110321_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
Kernel version: 2.6.29 fsysky@fsysky Mon Jan 24 18:22:16 UTC 2011
Build number: PD_Novel 2011.03.21
ro.build.version.sdk=5
STILL Android 2.0

Still splits the internal memory in half.
Wifi connects in 25 seconds for me!
Kindle works!
PanReader has 5 preinstalled B&N classics books and the User Guide.
No bookstore with the PanReader. Same interface as the B&N app on the SH20 FWs.

folders on the internal microSD card
.adobe-digital-editions
.system
album thumbs
DCIM
eBooks
kindle
LOST.DIR
Music
pd_backup
Photos
Videos

From the User Guide: Included apps:
Alarm Clock ~ Use as alarm clock with scheduled alarms.
Amazon Kindle ~ Shop on the Kindle Store and download purchased and free books and periodicals.
Browser ~ Access the Internet and 'surf the web' whenever desired.
Calculator ~ Use the calculator for basic math equations.
Calendar ~ Display monthly calendar and schedule events.
Contacts ~ Create a list of personal contacts, which can be linked with your email.
Dictionary ~ Quick access to the built-in dictionary.
Email ~ Send/Receive email using your existing email addresses.
ES File Explorer ~ Use to install AndroidTM apps, view and manage files and apps, and to backup files to your SD card.
ES Task Manager ~ Use ES Task Manager to kill applications after you exit them to free up resources.
Facebook ~ Quick access to the Facebook website.
Games ~ Play pre-loaded games for entertainment.
Music ~ Play and manage audio files (MP3, WAV and AAC).
OfficeSuite ~ Use to open DOC, DOCX, TXT, XLS, XLSX, CSV, PPT, PPTX, PPS, PPSX and PDF file formats.
PanReader ~ Use to display, read and manage EPUB and PDF formatted books and periodical files.
Photos ~ View and manage photo files (JPG, JPEG, BMP, PNG and non-animated GIF).
SAM (SlideME) ~ Market offering third party AndroidTM applications.
Settings ~ Multiple settings for personalizing and enhancing the device.
Stocks ~ Check the status of specific company's stock offerings.
Video ~ Play and manage video files (MPEG4).
Weather ~ Check the weather forecasts of locations of your choice.
Wi-Fi Settings ~ Quick access to set up & connect to a Wi-Fi network.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
kewlguy's SD card enhancement's work for me on this FW. Kewlguy's Individual SD card Enhancements

For testing purposes...
I just installed his combo pack 2, updated build prop, and have YoutubeHD. NICE!

Remember YMMV (your mileage may vary)

#8 ·
Oh boy, I am so ecstatic...

This build features:
Same kernel, same boot image, same recovery, hold my hands....

New /bin/vold
New Kindle-OEM-2.0.5.103970165-20110202.apk

Android Changes:
Wifi - removed hack code that disables and enables interface when wifi connection reset
PowerManager services added support for backlight brightness1 and 2
Added support and removal/insertion of extenal SD card.?

#14 ·
It looks like this FW is designed to use the internal card for most storage?

The Pan Reader app does not see my ebooks in the ebooks file on the external, but does see the internal. And Aldiko now looks on the internal card to import files, where in previous FWs it looked on my external SD.

#20 ·
Hi Again,
Sorry to bother you all....
I downloaded the zipfile and loaded it on my sdcard and then attempted a boot/install using the power and +/volume control.

I can't get this update to install..... Is there anything that I can do to RESET this and attempt a clean reinstall?

Or have I run out of magic wishes.

Thanks everyone, I'm not too bright but really stubborn.

#22 ·
Hi,
It was: "SKI20_20110321_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip".
Like I said, copied the file to my sdcard and then powered up the novel holding the power and +/volume buttons.....

I was probably difficult to toilet train as well not sure where I was breaking from breast feeding though.

Thanks again...

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
First of all, I looked at your other posts (all on the BPDN board) and want to verify that you have a White PDN.

Presuming you have the WPDN:

Is the FW the only file on your external SD card when trying to flash?
Is the file in it's zipped package? (it must not be extracted)

P.S. LOL @ your childhood trials

#24 ·
Have we seen a K vs. B differential since the introduction of the SH series? Haven't seen that. Wondering if making it Kindle friendly it's going to do something not so nice to video playback on those v.1-K (Kohls) boards.

[Return of the FlutterBug, the thing that would not die.]

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, Mark. In fact, the first SH20 was the 1/03 B. There were only 2 SH20 B versions that I know of.

Here is the list I have: (anyone, please let me know if I missed any)

SH20_20110103_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
SH20_20110111_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

SH20_20110111_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
SH20_20110114_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
SH20_20110127_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
SH20_20110215_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Fred

At your request, I unlocked the R70A200 thread for continued discussion: http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?/topic/16409-r70a200-do-not-flash-on-the-wpdn/

@Mark

If you feel a few of these posts belong in there, please split and merge.

Thanks!
The site shows a new SKI20 version update 3/23....I am downloading now and about to flash it now. I will try to report back about anything new.
I did a quick look in the zip and the system.img was updated. Now on to flashing!

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'd like to see the drives switched back. I can't be the only one who bought a nice big external card and left the 1 gig internal alone.

Just doesn't make sense to me to not put your media on the drive you can easily access (and some people might even have a couple cards they switch between).

They even switched it on this one where the stock reader will only see books on the internal. Pretty sure on previous FWs (at least some of them)it would see files in the ebooks folders on either drive.

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
Although in principle (sp?) I agree with burgerflipper, I'd recommend that we not switch back. We should stay as close to the OEM code as possible. As we've seen, PD has made great strides in improving their code and we are making fewer mods all the time. If we stray from their base architecture we ensure that we'll be mod'ing this thing forever. If the general consensus is to go ahead with the switch back then I'd ask if you could let us know what files need to be replaced to get the improved wifi so that those of us who just want this improvement can apply it manually. Thanks browntiger....

#41 ·
I have a wpd and I installed the kindle version then use kewlguys sd updates to root and other apps but two things, how do I know if it was rooted or where the other apps installed at? Second the pandreder did the same thing after Kewlguys updates, it will open but not open the books. thanks in advance

#42 ·
the android hackers app will tell you right away if you are rooted... but from Kewlguys' info it looks like he designed his firmware to root thing for you.

as far as where the other apps are installed (i'm not sure i understand what you mean there) and panreader not opening books, not sure what to tell you. for panreader try using the esfile explorer and look for a book and open it with panreader (instead of opening panreader and trying to find & open a book). most likely panreader will only spot books in it's own default folder so if none are there it won't display any (if that makes sense?).

#43 ·
o.k. let me put it this way instead, I can't get kewlguys sd card apps to work, I put them on the card, and it updates but no market, no google experience as far as I can tell it doesn't work at all. I have downloaded it a couple times and tried it but still nothing. I am very frustrated as all other updates and everything else I flash I can get to work.

#44 · (Edited by Moderator)
Seems to work. Live Wallpaper is working...
Testing 1-click in Amazon now (in the past, the Live Wallpaper would break this for me).
OK, clicked for Kindle store, and just got a crash, force close for Kindle store. Went back to Kindle by itself.
Relaunching Kindle Store..
(That's always happened infrequently tho, so it's no big deal)

It looks good..
I got all the way to the DL part, so it's not doing what it was before for me after a Live Wallpaper install.
So, that's better.

Wi-fi isn't any better.. If anything, it's worse, but possibly it's just the same.. I haven't used it that much yet..
This morning, when I woke it up, I tried to get Wi-fi and I couldn't, even tho I turned off Wi-fi last night before I put it to sleep.
So I power it off and went to work. Just tried again, and no wi-fi, so I am rebooting again...

I'm also getting a "Sorry" error when it boots up.
Application Android keyboard (in process com.android.inputmethod.latin) is not responding.

It did that the first time I powered it up after your flash as well.
I was getting that before with the gapps flash before I used KGs supplement.

OK, it's back and WiFi is reconnected..

Turning off Wi-fi and I'll let it sleep..
OK, 12:30 to about 2pm. Restarted the WPDN and it reconnected... So I'm probably about where I was before with WiFi.

desiv
p.s. Not sure if it's related, but I was having wifi issues last night, so I did a dmesg and noticed a:
"page allocation failure"
By then tho, I was getting too tired and didn't track it any more.. When it happens again, I'll double check the memory on the tablet... Memory allocation?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.