Ordered my metal 816 tablet on April 5, 2011 and unpackaged it on April 13, 2011. My confusion on color selection and the weekend slowed things down a little. The unit was secured in its showcase vanilla white box, surrounded by a cardboard layer, sequestered in a layer of bubble wrap and finally entombed in heavy duty shipping tape.
As per instructions, I charged the unit until the 'green' not 'blue' light replaced the red charging light. This took about 3 hours. First 'boot-up' was smooth and fast.
Based on the order date, the 816-m came with Android 2.2 as expected and will be updated to the new Android 2.3 in the future after an intense familiarization period.
The touch screen is very responsive and will take some time to adapt to the gentle touch required to initiate actions. My stubby ham hand fingers are a liability but can be circumvented with a little practice. All of the advertised screen response features work well and the G-sensor has reasonable reaction time.
My order included the leather case and the keyboard. I do not plan on doing anything extensive on the usb keyboard due to the afore mentioned finger problem. The on screen keyboard
works for well for me.
Wifi initiated quickly and recognized my home system and one of the neighbors. First e-mail went out via Yahoo 04/14/11.
I need to reread the posts on 'how to correctly install' the screen protector but it appears to mitigate some of the touch screen sensitivity for those of us used to pounding a keyboard.
As of now I'm still exploring all the 'do-dads' and will try out the external SD card soon.
One problem I created for myself was ordering the wrong HDMI cable for connection to my TV. If you buy a HDMI cable make sure you get one end with the 'micro' plug. Fortunately this was a 'cheap' mistake on my part.
Communications with Jim were outstanding. My frenzy of anticipation caused me delivery tracking consternation because I did not recognize the difference between a FedEx tracking number and reference number. Live and learn.
I'll report more after the OS upgrade, TF card usage and new applications installations. And by the way, Jim is not related to me and I do not have any connection with MapleleafTABs other than being a customer.
Took a few days to get accustomed to the basics of running the tablet. System's upgrade is delayed until it can be done 'directly'. "Rooting" the device was done using opt-root. This involved using the new external flash card (8gb,A-date, class 10 SDHC). After rooting, Andrioid Market works fine. Trial applications include; Backgrounds, BusyBox, Dolphin Browser HD, Drudge, The Detroit News, The Wall Street Reader, Titanium Backup, and Winamp. BusyBox, Titanium Backup and the Shoutcast feature of WinAmp still require some "adjustments" to work properly.
WiFi works well at public access points such as McDonalds. And yes AngryBirds is addictive. Re-installation of the screen protector was a 'bummer'. You either get it 'right' the first time or you'll never recover completely.
I transferred some MP3 file and background pictures to the tablet via the TF card. Still have not figured out how to move files directly from the recognized USB stick to the device. Some blogs make reference to using the 'terminal' which I cannot seem to locate. Probably the old 'forest and tree' conundrum.
I purchased a HDMI mini to standard plug and hooked the tablet up to my TV and it worked great as an external 'monitor. My "Bride" is not at all happy about that feature! The Radiotime application works fine.
May 06, 2011-update
So far my only negative issue is with the charger connector not fitting solidly into the 816-m tablet. The charge light will turn 'green' and with a little wiggle of the insert will go back to 'red' and continue charging.
I've installed and un-installed quite a few applications. My usb flash drives are recognized by the tablet and make for easy transfer of music and picture files. I'm still struggling with direct connection to my desktop pc. The tablet is recognized as a 'device' if connected during the desktop boot-up but not accessible in LInux or Win-xp. This make file transfer to the new micro sd card awkward. I adopted a workaround by using my Dropbox account to move 'stuff' between my desktop and the tablet. Probably some technical issue that I do not recognize or out of my area of understanding. Completed a full backup using zroot 'temporary' setting and Titanium backup.
This post has been edited by marvinudy: 06 May 2011 - 09:52 PM