#1 ·
I have finished my documentation project and here is my CMP738a help site:

http://bytebin.net/cmp738a/index.html

On it you'll find:

# Introduction to the Craig CMP738a
# Backing Up The Tablet Data and ROM
# Restoring And Upgrading The Tablet ROM and Data
# Getting Android Market To Work

It's all step-by-step instructions, except for the introduction which is kinda like a review/intro type thing.

Many thanks to Shad and bhartman36! Shad for the ROMs and utilities and bhartman36 for his help in messaging me here in the forums on how to go about backing up and restoring the tablet.

If you just got your tablet, please read the Backing Up The Tablet Data and ROM and follow that document's instructions first before you make much use of the tablet. This way if it gets bricked (ie. stops working to the point it's useless) you'll be able to get it going again. Even if you didn't happen to do that and you have a doorstop, just follow the Restoring And Upgrading The Tablet ROM and Data article. At the bottom are links to some of Shad's ROMs which you can try and get the system working again.

Hope this will help others.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks.

There was some problems with the download. Apparently the link that I got from a Wiki article is no longer working. Looks like that server was down for the past several days. Since it had no restrictions stated in the zip on redistribution, I put it up on my web space so it's available. It's needed in order to get the a dump for backing up your ROM. I don't know what happened to androtab.info domain though. Seems to have gone away, which is a shame.

#4 ·
Hello,

Owner of a CMP738a as of March 18,2011.

First, I wish to thank you for hosting the rkdump file. I had tried to get the file several times, even googling it and finding it hosted on only 1 site worldwide.

I did find out why the file was unavailable from its home site. After trying for a few days, I whois'd the name, here is the sad part, the server or IP family is Japanese. Either it directly was affected by the Tsunami/Nuclear Plant, or is connected to a system that is.

Thanks to you I will now attempt the backing up and upgrading my tablet.

PS: Do you know what devices can be connected to the tablet and/or eclair version of the OS? Mainly wanting to know if I can use a usb camera or bluetooth adapter.

#5 ·
Well, so far the only devices I've connected were a Western Digital Passport USB Hard drive and a mouse. The hard drive worked well (it was an older model, a 160GB) and the mouse it would halt a lot. I haven't tried a keyboard. I tried a Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks (in USB Host mode and not in host mode) and nothing happened so it was not recognized. It didn't recognize my Kodak EasyShare C330 Digital Camera either.

#6 ·
I have also tried connecting a harddrive. Looks like any hd that uses the FAT or FAT32 format will work. At this time forget using a NT formatted drive for this.

Also, you may wish to expand the list of caches on the Android Market fix page. Clearing out the 4 listed caches didn't work for me. I found an expanded list elsewhere.

Here is that list:
Checkin Service
Download Manager
Gmail
Gmail Storage
Google Backup Transport
Google Talk Service
Google Talk Storage
Market
Market Updater
Package Installer

Until I cleared out the other caches on mine, it refused to download any apps from the Market (SlideMe Apps would download fine.)

I guess we will need to wait until someone writes a universal HID API/Driver before we can fully use external keyboards and mice. Too bad too, there are some games I would like to try out but they require a phone's keyboard/mouse/trackball to work (like Lode Runner for example).

#7 ·
Yeah, I need to update that. I was just informed in another forum to clear the cache of ALL apps you have installed and you won't have to delete all the private data and lose your logins, etc. I haven't tested that yet, but thanks for the info. I have to update the site soon.

#8 ·
Ok, I've updated my web site at ByteBin.net. I pretty much updated all the pages in the Craig Tablet PC area, including some photos of the tablet on the main Craig Tablet PC page.

Thanks to everyone who gave me more info to add.
I've also updated some of the links.

#10 ·
@ TikaC
Got a quick question for ya...Say you accidentally hit "Permanent Root" in z4. Is there any way to UNroot the tablet short of re-flashing it?

#12 ·
I just found this thread:

http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t1077-alternate-newbie-friendly-guide-for-rooting-and-google-market-install-on-windows-no-special-drivers-or-adb-commands-needed

Thanks to someone here that pointed it out for a Market Fix idea. Anyway, in it, there's information on Unrooting a rooted tablet that was done in Z4. Apparently Z4Root has an UnRoot option. If you go into z4Root, you should see a dialog box pop up asking for SuperUser access. Allow it (make sure that USB debug is on in home/settings/applications/development menu). In Z4Root, there's menu options and it will now have an UnRoot option. Use that then reboot the tablet. That apparently should unroot the tablet.

#17 ·
I attempted to go from Shad's 4.2 to 4.3 ROM last night to no avail...

my issue came within the RKAndroidBatchUpgrade.exe .. I loaded up the image and Clicked Upgrade
the first block started flashing yellow, after about 2 minutes it would fail

it wouldn't get past the test device stage (which I recall is the second step)

any ideas?

#22 ·
So far, the best luck I had was with the instructions I posted on my site, but I admit it was tricky. However, flushback666's latest ROMS work without needing any type of modifications or fixes. Search for his thread on his froyo ROMs for a link to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.