Eken M009S with Android 2.2

• Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

#321 fields5302

fields5302

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

My M70007T from everbuying.com has Via 8650 cpu and specs like the Eken M009S, so it may be the same device. I'd be happy to run tests, but this is my first tablet, and I don't know what should be done with it to review it.

So far, it looks to me decent and clean, it recognizes which side is up and switches the display. The browser is a little laggy, but not too bad. I had one freeze-up early on which necessitated a power cycle. It involved putting in and removing an 8gb micro SD card--all seemed fine after rebooting.

The biggest problem I have so far is that I haven't figured out how to download apps. It has a Chinese market, which I'm leery of (and it didn't look like it had much of interest). No android market, and the consensus seems to be that that must be installed in firmware for it to work. I tried installing AppBrain Market, but that seemed to go around in circles, saying "your phone is not registered, try installing AppBrain Market". I tried to install SlideMe, and one other market which wanted me to select a platform first (androlib?)--no luck for me there. Is there any good way to install apps when you don't have Android Market?

After much flailing I found in the FAQ that AppBrain only works when you are already synced with Android Market. Able to browse, but otherwise stuck so far.

I have a Eken M009S and was wondering what mine is considered to be? V7, V8, or what?
  • miguelyan likes this

#322 agara62088

agara62088

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

I recently bought an Eken m009s and would love to know how to update the android market and anything else on it. There is not many options to choose from. Thank you so much!

-Alexandria

#323 msvman

msvman

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

I see a lot of different posts about the firmwares. What is the preferred one? I am currently running the latest modroid on my M009s from 1saleaday.com. It's running great, but is there any way to make angry birds run better? It is quite choppy and almost unplayable. Also, not all apps show up in the market. I do not see the dish network app or Facebook. I was able to find the apk for dish and it works.

Thanks

#324 wicknix

wicknix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

Turn backgrounds off in angry birds settings to have it run full speed (original angry birds) as rio and seasons don't have that option. Also make sure you do the market flush to enable full market access (instructions in the readme.txt that comes with modroid).

Cheers

Sent from my LG Thrive using Tapatalk
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

#325 msvman

msvman

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the info. Had I read the readme entirely, I would have known both of those questions:) Does the market fix only work right after you flash the firmware. It doesn't seem to be working for me.

Is modroid the preferred firmware?
  • miguelyan likes this

#326 wicknix

wicknix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 market flushes to work. As for preferred firmware.... its whatever one you like best. :)

Sent from my LG Thrive using Tapatalk
  • miguelyan likes this
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

#327 jamnutz

jamnutz

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

I'm another confused on in this thread.

I have an M009S,

Green LED
Running Build 1.52 - No Multi Touch working from the factory
Doesn't vibrate

Is it a M009S, Or an M009S-2? All signs point to M009S-2, but it's not running Build 1.53?

It would be nice to have multi touch, Where can I get 1.53 from if it will run it, and what Rom should I run.

Or can I just load the newest Modroid with 1.52 & not worry about the multi touch. I just want it to run better, don't have to have the multi touch, be nice, but can live without it.

#328 bonehenge

bonehenge

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

I'm another confused on in this thread.

I have an M009S,

Green LED
Running Build 1.52 - No Multi Touch working from the factory
Doesn't vibrate

Is it a M009S, Or an M009S-2? All signs point to M009S-2, but it's not running Build 1.53?

It would be nice to have multi touch, Where can I get 1.53 from if it will run it, and what Rom should I run.

Or can I just load the newest Modroid with 1.52 & not worry about the multi touch. I just want it to run better, don't have to have the multi touch, be nice, but can live without it.

Check again to see if it is 2 touch - the phrasing is confusing. It WILL allow you to pinch zoom images and the web browsing, and if you use a multi-touch tester, it will register 2 touches, but one will be impotent. IE; one circle will be active, but the other will not move with your finger - yet it does show 2 touch.

This I believe is a marketing trick with the new touchscreen displays, it will work, albeit rather awkwardly, IF what you got is the same as mine.

Green led, no vibrate but running 1.5.5 firmware.

This one was sent to me after the original one ceased functioning with the touchscreen AT ALL after I installed Uberoid onto it. I am not making the same mistake twice with this one, but I am interested in somehow making a nandroid backup of the working one and dumping it onto the faulty one, to rule out a hardware fault.

But right up until I got the new one I too was under the impression it had no 2 touch.. but I have since confirmed it.
  • miguelyan likes this

#329 Negative459

Negative459

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

I picked one of these up from adroidsalestore. I wanted to ditch my 30lb work bag full of catalogs for a tablet full of pdfs but I didn't have a lot of money to spend on proof-of-concept. The unit is ok. Build quality is so-so. It's light plastic and the seams vary but for $60, it's what I expected. I don't think it'll fall apart but if I drop it it'll probably be all over. The screen is fairly fingerprint resistant , better than my iPhone 3GS but it's a little scratch prone. Too much pressure with a fingernail or stylus will leave scuffs. You can't put a screen protector on it or the touch response just dies.

I loaded the Singularity ROM on it, which improved performance and removed bloatware. Battery life is ok. I got about 2 hours of surfing in before needing a charge. That was before the ROM update, though. It's probably better now. I found in airplane mode I was able to play 2 movies on a plane and still have juice left over, maybe enough for a third movie. AVIs play well but MPGs shudder and quickly lose audio sync. The browser works ok but flash performance varies. Unfortunately, it's not working out well for me at work. Both Adobe Acrobat Reader and Documents To Go are disappointing. Acrobat freezes constantly, refuses to open a good number of documents and only has one level of zoom (that I can tell). Docs To Go is more stable and supports additional zoom but doesn't always format the files properly. Either way, the M009s takes forever to load, render, scroll and zoom files. Even small (300k) files are sluggish. Pack a lunch for anything over a meg. I don't think it's going to work for my job. between the time wasted on loading and the odds that the doc I need not opening, it's not a viable solution. Not sure if it's software or if it's just the limitations of the processor. I want to take my mSD card and try opening some files on a Tab or some other expensive model to see if it's just the software that lags or if it's the Eken that's not up to the task.

All in all, for the money I spent, it's a great little travel sidekick for movies, books and browsing if I don't want to take a laptop but that's about it.

#330 Negative459

Negative459

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

Oh yeah. Is there a way to turn off 3G without going into airplane mode? It appears to be sucking my power but I don't want to go into airplane because I want to use WiFi. I'm never planning on getting a plan for my Tablet. Thanks!

#331 ravenclawprefect

ravenclawprefect

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Eken M009S-2
green light
build v1.5.2
Android 2.2
kernel 2.6.32

I have read through most of this thread and sadly, am just more confused. This is being used by my 10 yr old, it works fine but slowly. I was able to get Amazon App store on so he can access the apps I have on my Kindle Fire. It needs a micro Sd card, which we do. It shows the card is blank, asks me if I want to format it. Once I do, it still shows it is unformatted.

I don't see on the Eken site where to update the firmware to this specific model.

1. Where can I find the firmware, if it needs updating?
2. How do I format the SD card to it can be used with apps?
3. Is there anything else I can do easily to improve the tablet for him?

I have never rooted before and am not sure I need to. He is content with the apps he has, he mainly just wants youtube, netflix and a few games.

I would love to be able to take off a bunch of crap that he will never use.

Thanks in advance for your help!

RCP

#332 Ducsidu

Ducsidu

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hy!

I think I have an Eken M009S green LED (maybe an other VIA 8650 tablet),and I want to install a custom rom on it. I tried Modroid,Uberoid (not all versions) and with some roms,the touchscreen don't working,and some rom doesn't boot... Can someone give me a link for the best/good rom for this device?

Thanks,Ducsidu.

(Sorry for my bad English)

#333 new2tablets289

new2tablets289

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hello everyone I am new to this as well I picked up this tablet for christmas. I too would like to remove the chinese bloat I also have been able to download the Amazon apps market. here are the specs on my tab. Also have the 8 gig card installed. Also when I go to the market place it does not show all apps and says incompatible. Yet I can down load the exact same app from the amazon app store. At the Marketplace it says item cannot be installed in your device's country.

Green LED
m799ca V 2.0
2.6.35.7-info TM neville@neville-desktop#4
m799ca-eng2.3.3 GRI40 eng.petter.20111128.170033 test keys

I have never rooted before and am not sure I need to. I would love to be able to take off a bunch of crap that I will never use.

Thank you and I look forward to your suggestions and comments!

I am in the United States.

Edited by new2tablets289, 05 January 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#334 poltg

poltg

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hello everyone I am new to this as well I picked up this tablet for christmas. I too would like to remove the chinese bloat I also have been able to download the Amazon apps market. here are the specs on my tab. Also have the 8 gig card installed. Also when I go to the market place it does not show all apps and says incompatible. Yet I can down load the exact same app from the amazon app store. At the Marketplace it says item cannot be installed in your device's country.

Green LED
m799ca V 2.0

I have never rooted before and am not sure I need to. I would love to be able to take off a bunch of crap that I will never use.

Thank you and I look forward to your suggestions and comments!

I am in the United States.

For these version still be discussion about it in developers, still won't work perfectly. If you had some problem about it, can contact me by e-mail at akarapols@gmail.com. I had some solution and how to root it. Hope these will help you.

#335 Dan8v

Dan8v

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

Hi to all.

I new in the Forum and looking info / mod for my MID M731GF.

I see some firmware links at the begining of this post and I have a question :

¿ is the M009S the same hardware that the M731 Series ?

I opened my tablet and I have a "strange green led M731GF" and I found some users
in the Net that have the same "rare thing" :o

( The led should be blue in this model )

Thanks in advance ... Daniel.

Edited by Dan8v, 08 February 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#336 Pan 2 Black

Pan 2 Black

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestion for downloading an Android Market App. I found the site confusing, but think I eventually got it right. Unfortunately, it said "unable to download to your device".

More concerning the device.

The wifi works but seems weak. From a spot 30 feet away through three walls, two laptops, an Asus WL-520gU running openWrt in client mode, and a dockstar with a wifi dongle are all able to connect to my AP, but this tablet is not. Rather it can see the AP, says it connects, but cannot retrieve anything. I set up another router as an AP a few feet away and the wifi works fine with that.

Still looking for a way to get Android Market, or some other suitable market, if anyone has any suggestions.

Get the z4 root from Applanet, then bookmark the site. Z4 will safely root your app (read the directions), and Applanet is the beat place to get apps. And if you decide to upgrade your OS, that site has a bunch of utilities that will make it easy to do.

#337 TheMan0030

TheMan0030

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

Guys, I need your help.

I have an Android Tablet 7"
(Android OS 2.2
Kernel 2.6.32
Build Number V1.2.2.)

Picture of my tablet:
http://img138.images.../4659/1aaag.jpg

The problem is
that it can not booting.
Actually, is frozen on the green guy at start up.

What can I do for it??

Thanks for your time.

#338 Denali89107

Denali89107

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

Eken M009S-2
green light
Built 1.5.2
Android 2.2
kernel 2.6.32

I have read through most of this thread and sadly, am just more confused. This is being used by my 10 yr old, it works fine but slowly. I was able to get Amazon App store on so he can access the apps I have on my Kindle Fire. It needs a micro Sd card, which we do. It shows the card is blank, asks me if I want to format it. Once I do, it still shows it is unformatted.

I don't see on the Eken site where to update the firmware to this specific model.

1. Where can I find the firmware, if it needs updating?
2. How do I format the SD card to it can be used with apps?
3. Is there anything else I can do easily to improve the tablet for him?

I have never rooted before and am not sure I need to. He is content with the apps he has, he mainly just wants youtube, netflix and a few games.

I would love to be able to take off a bunch of crap that he will never use.

Thanks in advance for your help!

RCP

Eken M009S-2
green light
Build 1.5.3
Android 2.2
kernel 2.6.32

I have what is, apparently, an EKEN M009s. I say apparently because I was able to download an update to build v1.5.3 at http://www.eken.com/support/, instructions are about half way down the page and the firmware link is a few inches below that.

To the credit of EKEN, I have exchanged several emails with their support staff. They have been very prompt with their replies and most of their English has been clear.

I had a problem with the app-market with the original firmware but was able to access the market after the 1.5.3.firmware install. However, I have downloaded most of the apps from Amazon. I have not tried to install the 1.5.5 version.

Have you had any problems with charging the tablet? I can't seem to make good contact with the factory supplied charger brick. I purchased a 12v charger on ########### and the charger tip definitely fits better.

I hope this helps.

#339 new2tablets289

new2tablets289

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Green LED
m799ca V 2.0

I need your help. My tablet has recently stopped booting When you turn it on the word andoid appears then small word android and a flashing curser. That is it stays on that screen tryed several reboots same issue. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank You

#340 new2tablets289

new2tablets289

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

I want to thank poltg. Using the information and links that he provided along with www.mobilewizard.com firmware and youtube video. I was able to fix my tablet. Thank you again.