Eken M009S with Android 2.2

• Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

#301 tim1982

tim1982

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:48 AM

Unchecking the auto wallpaper in wmtweather was the solution. Thnx!
But if i read the comments, I think I'll stick to singularity and not switch to modroid.

#302 DekHog

DekHog

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:05 AM

I found Modroid to be considerably quicker and it was the only firmware that would play angry birds reasonably smoothly - other people will have different experiences with different firmwares no doubt.

#303 randomkid

randomkid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:29 AM

Unchecking the auto wallpaper in wmtweather was the solution. Thnx!
But if i read the comments, I think I'll stick to singularity and not switch to modroid.

May i ask why you wont switch? as i found it alot better? and it uses a newer kernel than the latest slatedroid singularity firmware.
Randomkid
Rate me five stars if i helped!

Any questions visit: http://www.slatedroi...193#entry240193

#304 rhsytky

rhsytky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

Please help me!
i'm Japanese & please forgive my English not skillful.

I got Eken M009S and trying to Sign in to Google Market. But entering Gmail address and password and tapping "Login", following massages appears.

Connection failed
It appears that Internet connection isn't available

This error occurs whenever operating it concerning GoogleAccount.
Wifi is connected & Browser is working normally…

Could you teach the method solved by someone?

#305 winkleink

winkleink

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:40 AM

Just thought I'd add my voice here.
I bought an Eken M009s for my daughter (5) instead of an education toy like the Leapfrog LeapPad Explorer.
I just thought that a small tablet would be more useful.

Bought from smartchoiceit on ########### in the UK and it came with Singularity. I forgot to check the actual version but it has Angry Birds and working Android Marketplace.
So thank you Roger for a great ROM.

Wifi was fine. Worked downstairs but upstairs away from the router was like a cheap wifi card.
YouTube app worked perfectly.

I installed a number of educational games and some simple games. I would say about half of the apps I installed were capable of running on the M009s so there is enough out for what I want my daughter to have today.

I paid £60 for it. I see they are not charging £70 for it.
Still think it is better than going for an education toy and time will tell what my daughter thinks of it. her birthday isn't until the end of September so I have a month to do a bit more fine tuning of the apps.

Final thoughts.
Overall better than I expected.
Sometimes a bit slow to open apps.
Don't try anything 3D.

#306 novice007

novice007

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

Just bought a Ekan M009S and was wondering how I would go about installing Rogers Firmware? Can anyone help me out? Here are the specs. Thanks :good:

Condition: NEW
Retail Packaging
1-Year Warranty
Manufacturer: Eken
Model: M009S

Features Include:

•Android 2.2 OS
•VIA8650 800MHz Chip
•7" touchscreen display (800x400p, 16:9 ratio)
•2GB storage
•256MB DDR2 RAM
•Micro SD card slot
•Gyroscopic sensor
•802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi built in
•Support for 3G dongle and Ethernet with adapter
•Use Android App Market, Flash 10.1, Google Map, Web browser and more
•Front video camera with VGA video up to 30fps with audio, VGA quality camera shots
•Supports Music Formats: MP2, MP3, WAV, AAC, WMA
•Supports Video Formats: MPEG1/2/4, MJPG, H263, H264
•Supports Picture Formats: JPG, JPEG, BMP, PNG
•Built in lithium ion rechargeable battery (1600mAh)
•30 pin connector port
•Built in stereo speakers
•Microphone and 3.5mm headphone jack
•On/off button on top
•Menu and Volume buttons on side
•Home button on screen
•Glossy black screen, gray back
•Dimensions: 7.9" H x 5" W x 0.67" D
Package Includes:
Tablet, AC Adapter, USB Data Cable, USB and Ethernet Adapter

#307 novice007

novice007

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

newbie here and just bought a
eken m009s. . . how do i go about installing firmare to make this ba
d boy faster? :drinks:

#308 jamnutz

jamnutz

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

Any issues on how big of a micro SD card you can dock with this tab?

#309 netizenmt

netizenmt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:46 AM

Just bought a Ekan M009S and was wondering how I would go about installing Rogers Firmware? Can anyone help me out? Here are the specs. Thanks :good:

Condition: NEW
Retail Packaging
1-Year Warranty
Manufacturer: Eken
Model: M009S

Features Include:

•Android 2.2 OS
•VIA8650 800MHz Chip
•7" touchscreen display (800x400p, 16:9 ratio)
•2GB storage
•256MB DDR2 RAM
•Micro SD card slot
•Gyroscopic sensor
•802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi built in
•Support for 3G dongle and Ethernet with adapter
•Use Android App Market, Flash 10.1, Google Map, Web browser and more
•Front video camera with VGA video up to 30fps with audio, VGA quality camera shots
•Supports Music Formats: MP2, MP3, WAV, AAC, WMA
•Supports Video Formats: MPEG1/2/4, MJPG, H263, H264
•Supports Picture Formats: JPG, JPEG, BMP, PNG
•Built in lithium ion rechargeable battery (1600mAh)
•30 pin connector port
•Built in stereo speakers
•Microphone and 3.5mm headphone jack
•On/off button on top
•Menu and Volume buttons on side
•Home button on screen
•Glossy black screen, gray back
•Dimensions: 7.9" H x 5" W x 0.67" D
Package Includes:
Tablet, AC Adapter, USB Data Cable, USB and Ethernet Adapter

Yes... don't. Roger's firmware is rather out of date by now, although great for its time. I would highly recommend the most recent version of Modroid (v10). It's available in the MID7 forum and is EXCELLENT!! I'm using it happily.

A contented Modroid user since its inception. :yahoo:

#310 netizenmt

netizenmt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:47 AM

Any issues on how big of a micro SD card you can dock with this tab?

Which one - there are many different versions out there. I would think you should be good up to 16 GB for sure, and probably 32 GB. Check your manual or the manufacturer's website to be sure.

#311 jlewis229

jlewis229

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:55 AM

OK I bought 2 Eken M009S-2 is what the ad on 1saleaday.com said but idk about the -2(dash 2) because call i can find is the M009S.

I have read some people have gotten them without the Android Marketplace on them and with some Chinese programs!

I really hope I haven't made a mistake in buying these as they are not returnable!

I have a couple of questions:

1. Why would Android allow a manufacturer to remove it's marketplace and put something else totally different on there & not keep it to it's specs?(i am no computer wiz so this may not even be something that is monitored or required)

2. If the Android Marketplace isn't on there how would I add it?

3. What else would i need to do to this in order for it to perform as best as possible because i see a lot of people doing modifications of sorts to them.

I really hope I didn't make a mistake, it was just a good price @ $69 and didn't want to pass something up that could be pretty good.

And if you have any other information that could help me in any way for operating this tablet please tell me everything you know.

OH one more thing- I seen it said it supports 3G External and I want to use my AT&T Iphone 3GS(Jailbroken) to tether with this as i do with my laptop. I see it doesn't have blue tooth so i know that isn't an option out of the box. BUT If i purchase the bluetooth usb/30 pin that connects where the charger does for the tablet OR If i purchase a USB/Ethernet/30 Pin Converter with the USB Port & OR the 30 pin cord with the Ethernet would any of these allow me to tether through either my USB Cord or the bluetooth?

Hope I didn't make anything too complicated & I really appreciate ANY HELP or consoling(LOL) you can offer me! :(

Johnathan

#312 jlewis229

jlewis229

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:40 AM

I also wanted to add that the Android Version that is going to be on the tablet is 2.2, I wish I had the exact specs from where i bought it! Isn't that the latest version?

#313 wicknix

wicknix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

The M900S-2 is the newest batch of M900S's, meaning it has 2 point touch and a green power LED. The internal hardware has changed slightly in these so currently most of the modded roms won't fully work on it. They will install and run fine, but the touchscreen will not work. They will require the latest 1.5.3 firmware to work properly. However that really wont be an issue soon. I'm working on a 1.5.3 based Modroid rom, Uberoid also has a 1.5.3 based rom in testing, and UdroidX which is based on Modroid is already using the 1.5.3 firmware. So, for now i'd recommend installing UdroidX. It has a working android market and the chinese software removed.

As for 3G... these tablets support Hauwei dongles only from what i've seen. In order to wirelessly tether to your phone you will need to manually edit some files, otherwise ad-hoc isn't supported by default.

For the money these are nice tablets. They aren't great, but for the price one can't complain. Have a look around this forum and the midv7 forum. You'll find loads of info on how to make these tablets scream.

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

#314 slrasyridr

slrasyridr

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Which one - there are many different versions out there. I would think you should be good up to 16 GB for sure, and probably 32 GB. Check your manual or the manufacturer's website to be sure.

Specs say it will take up to 32 GB SD card but does it have to be a Micro SD card or can it be a Micro SDHC card. I cannot seem to find any Micro SD cards over 4GB only Micro SDHC cards. Are they compatible? Has anyone tried or used a Micro SDHC card?
Thanks

#315 RodLightning

RodLightning

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:40 PM

OK I bought 2 Eken M009S-2 is what the ad on 1saleaday.com said but idk about the -2(dash 2) because all I can find is the M009S.

I have read some people have gotten them without the Android Marketplace on them and with some Chinese programs!

I really hope I haven't made a mistake in buying these as they are not returnable!

According to ########### negative feedback, a bunch of good folks (myself included) are waiting weeks for M009S tablets to ship. If mine ever arrives from 1saleaday, I have mixed feelings about getting a M009S-2. I did notice that the same tablet was on the 1saleaday.com website a few days after I ordered one through their ########### store. The last message from seller says they were delayed by customs...fingers crossed that this is true and they ship one to me soon. They are offering buyers the option to cancel their order, or wait longer. I opted for the latter since I really want this tablet!

I'm wondering how difficult the newest model will be to install alternate firmware as the next batch from this source might be fresh off the boat.

#316 jazzybazz

jazzybazz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

The M900S-2 is the newest batch of M900S's, meaning it has 2 point touch and a green power LED. The internal hardware has changed slightly in these so currently most of the modded roms won't fully work on it. They will install and run fine, but the touchscreen will not work. They will require the latest 1.5.3 firmware to work properly. However that really wont be an issue soon. I'm working on a 1.5.3 based Modroid rom, Uberoid also has a 1.5.3 based rom in testing, and UdroidX which is based on Modroid is already using the 1.5.3 firmware. So, for now i'd recommend installing UdroidX. It has a working android market and the chinese software removed.

Hello wicknix, I have this tablet: http://www.ebay.ca/i...#ht_19381wt_906
It is 8", no vibration, blue led while using it, red led while charging, silver backside, two-point touchscreen. I asked the seller which model it is and this is what he said:

Our model supposed is M009S, but I am not so sure about will it work with custom firmware on other website anymore because our system are so new, the sound card IC and touch panel IC is improved, you will notice the two point touch is usable now, before is very crappy. Audio IC is change so it won't burn out so easily. Thanks.

This is exactly the results I had with various versions of uberoid. The versions that booted past the splash screen, touchscreen and sound didn't work. Even the latest uberoid v9 based on 1.5.3 had this problem.

The only firmware that works fine is the factory firmware, which is available here: http://www.thetablet...09_ts_1.5.2.rar

It seems like it's based on 1.5.2 firmware. The following lines, taken from the factory firmware env_uboot file are the only difference I found:
setenv wmt.io.touch 1:vt1609:2:800:600
setenv wmt.audio.spi 1:0:0
setenv wmt.vt160x.bat 1:0:10:0
setenv wmt.model.no puzhi_8inch_vt1609_ts
setenv wmt.io.ts.2dcal -22831 80 48938253 -58 19896 -5672003 56557

I tried the factory file over the one in uberoid rom, but it still didn't work.
Can I please have your thoughts on the matter, and do you think modroid or singularity would work on my tablet?

Thank you very much.

Edited by jazzybazz, 23 September 2011 - 07:11 PM.

#317 diglife

diglife

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

I have a quick question... . I just purchased one and it has a green LED with Android 2.2
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9
Build # : generic-eng2.2 Froyo Ver 1.5.2-20110803.111257

I noticed the latest build for the m009 is Slatedroid Singularity M009S Final v5 (WMT1.5.0 Based).zip (from Roger)
Will this work on the m009 I have ? I don’t want to brick it! Thanks in advance!

#318 bonehenge

bonehenge

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:01 AM

Holy smokes, there is SOOOO much confusing info in this long thread, I'm scared to do anything.

I wish a few things could be answered.

My device is a Eken M009S that has a green led when not charging. Red when charging. Android 2.2 Build 1.5.3, and Kernal 2.6.32.
It appears to have no Chinese apps installed (or they are written in English) and came from China, which I acquired via AliExpress (http://www.aliexpres.../102812217.html)
It indeed runs just under 800mhz tested with CPU Benchmark.
It has the fake App Market installed, and a bunch of decent apps, compared to my last tablet.
It is not rooted, and I am treading slow this time.

Question, How on earth do you connect to it via ADB ? It is not recognised - not even detectged in ADB/USB Debugging Mode - in Windows 7 64bit using the SDK and ADB.
I DID connect to it via IP address, and attempted to boot into the recovery screen to see if I could navigate it as I was unable to do so with my previouis tablet, but adb reboot recovery reset the device, and erased all of the apps apart from the APP Market, and suddenly Android Market - Fully working??? How does this happen? Not complaining, it's flying now it's been cleared of things.

Question, How on earth do I root the thing. Z4Root fails as usual, despite telling me it completes. I am not willing to use a PC based application again for fear of bricking it somehow.. DOwn once, dont wanna go down again.
I drop to terminal and try to SU and it tells me "su: must be suid to work properly" and on investigation I read that it somehow has two copies of su? I am not too liberated in linux so this confuses me. One forum I read to fix the error said to navigate to /system/bin and ./su then su to resolve it, but there was no su in that folder. There was one in xbin however, but alas the same results - su aint suid! :-/

Question, Can these devices actually be permanently rooted using any process, or are they like the Ployer Momo2 which uses a Cramfs Image and therefore needs to have an update applied to default the user to root?

And Finally, hopefully the URL is allowed above so people can see exactly the device, can someone tell me Which MOD I can safely use, AND how to make a backup of this? I could do what I did last time, spend weeks trying to work it out, get most of the way and then make a foolish mistake and Brick this one, or someone could help a buddy out!!!!!!!!

The alternative .. well lets just say Charlie Sheen would even be shocked at the strange I'd become... Oo

Cheers all, any help would be massively appreviated!!

Damian.

#319 DOG_SOLDIER

DOG_SOLDIER

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

Hi Vestinious could you post a video of your Vestinious M009s 1.1.6 in action? im thinking of buying a Eken M009S for my wife becouse the price is just right.
and i was wondering if there was any way you could make a super fast honeycomb UI for the Eken M009S. :D

#320 bonehenge

bonehenge

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:26 AM

Hi Vestinious could you post a video of your Vestinious M009s 1.1.6 in action? im thinking of buying a Eken M009S for my wife becouse the price is just right.
and i was wondering if there was any way you could make a super fast honeycomb UI for the Eken M009S. :D

I would advise stayinbg away from Eken. I had the wrost experience yesterday with their support, and they ended up just ignoring my emails.

They advertised a Multi Touch M009s tablet, and indeed the thing has a blue round sticker on the back, which they said indicates it is a multi touch, but I tested it with various multi touch software and none recognised it as being so. It is a single touch.

So when I had to do something to get the shocking WIFI working, I tried going back to firmware version 1.5.2 from the stock 1.5.3 it was shipped with, I lost autio AND any TOuch Screen ability.

Trying various firmwares did not help. So I contacted support and it took them over 5 hours to put the 1.5.3 firmware on their website, for the multi touch, and I put this back on, giving me back Audio and a functioning tablet, but still no touch screen. This is where they ceased all contact. I asked them repeatedly to please put the 1.5.3 Single Touch firmware on their website, and nothing....

I'm stuck with a useless tablet, for the price it's a very expensive paper weight.

Steer clear of Eken. They are not worth the hassl for a little lower cost.... and you WILL need to do something as the Wifi drops - disconnects - every 5-10 seconds... pointless as an internet device, and using firmware they gives you decent wifi, takes away audio and touch screen... pointless as a media device..

MID tablet it is not...

-----

Oh jesus... it's getting seriously bad when I can only find google links to my own posts.. :(

My tablet is definitely a single touch tablet, but will not work with any firmware supporting single touch the same as multi touch... I am guessing the hardware needs firmware 1.5.3, but as all the firmare 1.5.3 is multitouch/two touch it is why I am not getting any touch screeen.

what a jest... insane...

Edited by bonehenge, 03 October 2011 - 07:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users