• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 vish06

vish06

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:33 AM

Hi,

afer days of looking around and trying to figure out a way finally got it to work with the help of fbelleri on xda-forums

Here is the link ..

http://forum.xda-dev...44#post11832544

Hi,
your wpa_supplicant.conf file is the best full commented file that I never see. Reading the file you can find many explanations in the commented lines (#).

The initial assumption is that the device works as AP is a cell phone that only allows ad-hoc mode, as my Nokia 5800 with the program JoikuSpot. Some more lucky people have phones with hardware that can operate in infrastructure mode and do not need to do anything.

Other assumption is that you have wpa_supplicant.conf file in the /system/etc/wifi/ folder.

I have the wpa_supplicant.conf file in /system/etc/wifi/

Other assumption is that your tablet doesn't have a TexasInstrument wifi chip (not important)

I have the wpa.....ifi/, i couldnt find the other file u mentioned.

The simplest way is to create one personalized wpa...conf file needed only when You want have access to your ad-hoc phone wifi network.

So you will have 2 wpa...conf files: the first for normal networks and the secon only for your personalized ad-hoc network.
Remember that the file in use can be automatically modified by the Network configuration in settings. Do not use scan network in settings when there is in use the wpa..conf ad-hoc file, because the app will automatically modify it erasing the line ap_scan=2. When is in use the 'normal' file, you can do all you want.

I have modified the files as you need. YOU must edit 1 line in the adhoc file (use the internal editor of your pad or Wordpad in Win) and insert the correct SSID (the wifi network name).

I have also added the .normal file in the case you have problems with your 'normal' wifi network

I tried to do it as u said and now wen i try to connect to internet it says WiFi unable to connect.

Step1:
Edit "wpa.supplicant.conf.adhoc" attached file and insert the correct SSID.

Step2:
Copy "wpa.supplicant.conf.adhoc" file to the folder /system/etc/wifi/.

Step3:
Assuming that you already have at least one 'normal' wifi network running, using RootExplorer go to the folder /system/etc/wifi/ and make a copy of your file wpa...conf in use and rename the copy "wpa_supplicant.conf.normal" in the same folder. Why? Because this file contains your update normal wifi networks configuration and passwords.

So, what I have to do when I want swith from NORMAL to ADHOC network?
1 Disable the wifi network in settings.
2 With RootExplorer,
2.1 go to folder /system/etc/wifi/
2.2 long press on file wpa_supplicant.conf, when menu pop up, delete this file.
2.3 long press on file wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc, when menu pop up, copy and paste.
2.4 long press on file "wpa_supplicant.conf.adhoc - Copy" and rename it to wpa_supplicant.conf
3 Enable the wifi network in settings.
4 After 2 seconds, your tablet should connect to the adhoc ap of your phone.
5 DO NOT use scan for netwoks in settings because it will auto modify your wpa..conf file.

What I have to do when I want change the network from ADHOC to NORMAL?
1 Disable the wifi network in settings
2 With RootExplorer,
2.1 go to folder /system/etc/wifi/
2.2 long press on file wpa_supplicant.conf, when menu pop up, delete this file.
2.3 long press on file wpa_supplicant.conf.normal, when menu pop up, copy and paste.
2.4 long press on file "wpa_supplicant.conf.normal - Copy" and rename it to wpa_supplicant.conf
3 Enable the wifi network in settings.
4 After 1/2 seconds, your tablet should connect to the ap of your wifi network..
5 You can use/modify/add netwoks in settings because it will correctly modify your wpa..conf 'normal' file. If you add/modify anything make a copy of your updated wpa..conf to "wpa_supplicant.conf.normal" erasing old one.

It would be more comfortable not having to use this procedure that may seem complicated, but in practice it is really easy. Four years have passed since the first request to allow the adhoc connection was requested to the developer of Android. Still no answer.

I've used this procedure with my old tablet A81E, with my Herotab C8 clone, and with a linux notebook.
To me it always works. If sometimes I have problems is because of the phone and its software.

Tell me if it works!

Try it out !!

Enjoy !

Attached Files

• Attached File  wpa.zip   821bytes   78 downloads

#2 the720k

the720k

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

Excellent post, vish06! This should be stickied. I just went through the process and was able to make it work, but found that the wpa_supplicant.conf file that my tablet uses is not located in /etc/wifi/, but rather /data/misc/wifi, even though copies exist in both locations. It's not a symlink - just seems as though someone got a little sloppy when putting together the filesystem on this firmware. I'm using the latest factory firmware, by the way - December of 10.

Maybe I can come up with an APK that will allow us to toggle adhoc/infrastructure mode for the Cruz. I've never built an APK from the ground up, but it can't be that hard to write a simple app that moves a couple files around.

Thanks a million times over!
Posted Image

#3 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

Another vote for making this discussion a sticky as many will find adding adhoc network access useful.

#4 vish06

vish06

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

Hey,

the720k, there is already an app.... Adhockable.apk which does this for the APAD maybe u can modify it and get it to work for the cruz....i will attach the apk...

Attached Files

#5 DillySD

DillySD

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:56 PM

I have an HTC Leo with Android on Nand and it tethers wifi from it fine.

#6 J225

J225

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:43 PM

I have an HTC Leo with Android on Nand and it tethers wifi from it fine.

Ok ,but is it tethering to the micro tablet though?

#7 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:19 AM

I have a T-Mobile Comet/Huawei Ideos U8150, running Android 2.2, that has built in USB tether and 3G WIFI hotspot that I use for backup internet. My primary mobile WIFI internet is a Clear Spot 4G+.

Posted from a Velocity Micro Cruz Tablet T105 via Tapatalk

Edited by GJSmith3rd, 02 April 2011 - 07:27 AM.

#8 Cruduss

Cruduss

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:25 AM

I have the iPhone 3Gs and it will only tether through Bluetooth or connected vie a cable to a computer...
Total noob at this not sure what is being said in this post.
Seems some phones tether through WiFi, which is what I was hoping to do...

Any light on this would be greatly apriciated. :good:

Cheers

Edited by Cruduss, 18 May 2011 - 11:34 PM.

#9 kab0b

kab0b

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

I am following these directions but when i copy or move the file it ends up being blank. anyone else have problems with that?

#10 kab0b

kab0b

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

even if i manually type in all of the info when i activate it just says cannot activate.

#11 N2DEEP3D

N2DEEP3D

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

Couple of things:

If your phone can act as an access point, then you can use programs such as PDANet or Wireless Tether. Both will turn your phone into an AP without the extra tethering data charge, then you can connect via wifi from the cruz.

Now if you are trying to tether via cable, then that really relies on the cruz and unfortunately it has too many closed doors still; and will be a pain.

#12 sxxdnne

sxxdnne

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationD/M/V

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

I have a htc evo 4g-rooted with some extras. I use wifi tether and it works great with my t408. I didnt have to do anything to my Cruz other then open my wifi and tap connect.
Cruz T408-Rooted-Gapps Installed

#13 sxxdnne

sxxdnne

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationD/M/V

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

I have the iPhone 3Gs and it will only tether through Bluetooth or connected vie a cable to a computer...
Total noob at this not sure what is being said in this post.
Seems some phones tether through WiFi, which is what I was hoping to do...

Any light on this would be greatly apriciated. :good:

Cheers

Dont own a iphone but when doing research for a friend i believe i read that if you jailbreak your iphone you can then download certain apps that allow you to either wifi tether or mobile hotspot hack your iphone.
Cruz T408-Rooted-Gapps Installed

#14 Zzz73

Zzz73

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Dont own a iphone but when doing research for a friend i believe i read that if you jailbreak your iphone you can then download certain apps that allow you to either wifi tether or mobile hotspot hack your iphone.

iphone or android, you only have to alter the wpa_supplicant.conf on your tablet if your hotspot is not capable of broadcasting in infrastructure mode. wifi tether for root users (android) defaults to broadcasting to adhoc but can be configured to broadcast infrastructure. so just choose your tether app carefully, or if the broadcast mode just cant be changed, follow the directions in the OP.
- Rooted/ROMed EVO 4G
- Rooted/GApp'ed VM Cruz T103