• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Kingsman1

Kingsman1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

I have some friends who own XOOM tablets. Though I don't own one, please, if you own a XOOM, don't believe that it's through, or that it's just an expensive toy. Yes, originally it was too expensive, and some of the features didn't work properly. These concerns have been pretty well addressed. You can buy one on the net for about $250 or less if you're willing to get a good used one. The problem of the tft card access has been addressed. For those who have access to 4G phone service, that's available. Also, even though the XOOM is getting a little long in the tooth, the OS was recently updated to Android 4.1(That's the latest Os that was made). I wouldn't expect Google to offer any upgrade for the future, but for now XOOM is a good,solid dual core tablet-it's still a pretty good tablet for a pretty decent price.

Rob

Edited by Kingsman1, 18 October 2012 - 12:52 PM.

Model Number: Ampe A10 Quad Core Freescale i.MX6Q
Baseband version: Unknown
Kernel version: 3.0.35-02345-g411d6f6-dirty
Build number: 13.4rc2 Ver 1.58b
Running under "CityAceE R1.5 Ver. A"

#42 DigiLexic

DigiLexic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

I don't know if any other stores have it, but I just bought one (Xoom WiFi) from Books-A-Million today in the mall for $99.00!!!!

#43 johnnyblades

johnnyblades

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

I don't know if any other stores have it, but I just bought one (Xoom WiFi) from Books-A-Million today in the mall for $99.00!!!!

Link?!

I have no need for another tablet, but would jump on a Xoom for 99 bucks!

#44 The Kingsman

The Kingsman

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

I have some friends who own XOOM tablets. Though I don't own one, please, if you own a XOOM, don't believe that it's through, or that it's just an expensive toy. Yes, originally it was too expensive, and some of the features didn't work properly. These concerns have been pretty well addressed. You can buy one on the net for about $250 or less if you're willing to get a good used one. The problem of the tft card access has been addressed. For those who have access to 4G phone service, that's available. Also, even though the XOOM is getting a little long in the tooth, the OS was recently updated to Android 4.1(That's the latest Os that was made). I wouldn't expect Google to offer any upgrade for the future, but for now XOOM is a good,solid dual core tablet-it's still a pretty good tablet for a pretty decent price.

Rob

I wrote the above sometime back, and now I am using a XOOM. It's not the fastest tablet on the market, but it is a good one. A couple of weeks ago Motorola released a stock version of JB 4.1.2 For the 3g model. It's pretty good. So far I haven't run into anything that won't work on it.

The honest truth is that it works very nicely. The build quality is very good. I'll probably be using it for years. I could wish that the volume buttons were a little larger, but I'll probably be using it for a long time to come.
I use an older Motorola Xoom which serves me very well.

I had had an Ampe A10 Freescale, but cannot, in good conscience recommend the Ampe to anyone.

#45 AfroBoy

AfroBoy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:13 AM

I wrote the above sometime back, and now I am using a XOOM. It's not the fastest tablet on the market, but it is a good one. A couple of weeks ago Motorola released a stock version of JB 4.1.2 For the 3g model. It's pretty good. So far I haven't run into anything that won't work on it.

The honest truth is that it works very nicely. The build quality is very good. I'll probably be using it for years. I could wish that the volume buttons were a little larger, but I'll probably be using it for a long time to come.

Agreed.

I know it's an old topic but thought it best to show my support for this venerable device.

The Xoom was my first Android device and got it a couple of months after release and I still use it to this day (along with my Note 2).  I just updated it to 4.1.2 (with the option of updating to 4.4 with some partition tweaking) and it's like having a whole new device.

I've relegated this to a 'work' device, as the gaming performance isn't the best (apart from emulation) but the overall usage experience is as good as ever, and the ongoing support - allowing KitKat builds to be installed is a testament to the love the community still has for this groundbreaking tablet.

I think people lose sight of that.