The Xoom is doomed!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 lantern20

lantern20

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

i guess i missed out. i bought the Xoom last weekend, registered for this forum today, and found this post.

oh well, i will struggle on, learn about Honeycomb, enable 4G, and keep browsing this forum. maybe i'll find more threads that amuse me here . . . :drinks:

Me too. I guess I'll live with it. :D It works well tethered!
HTC HD2 T9193
ROM: Energy 28244 & CHT 2.0.0 with AmeriCanAndroid GB234 CM7
Radio: 2.08.50.05

Motorola wooX
Unrooted & Stock for now.

CMD-738a
hopefully this week!

#22 ms92

ms92

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

If the galaxy tab 2 comes out and is less than $500 than the Xoom is definitely doomed if you ask me. Not to mention not everyone likes the big bulky screen. Theres no real reason to get it over an Ipad2 either

#23 Progizmo

Progizmo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hey Everyone,

I have agree with many of you saying the price point is just too high. We just picked one up so that we could do a full review of the product and I must say its a great little toy. But it's a $700 toy. The Tegra 2 processor is quite powerful and coupling it with 1GB of ram makes for pretty speedy multitasking, but we just could not get past the price and some other small flaws we noticed throughout the review. To read our full coverage, check out Progizmo! I hope the review helps out with a decision.

Cheers, Progizmo

#24 G_Dmaxx

G_Dmaxx

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

Love my GTablet and thanks for the Honeycomb Roebeet!
  • robert48461 likes this
HTC EVO: Kings ROM and Kernel
Viewsonic GTablet: Honeycomb 2.4a

#25 BLK816

BLK816

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:53 PM

So the xoom isnt worth it?

#26 robert48461

robert48461

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

The xoom cost to much, the grab does it for less.

#27 Steve078

Steve078

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

I have been perusing this thread, as well as others concerning the new tablets. I am in the market for a tablet (like the Xoom or Galaxy Tab 10.1) to use when I am on the road. I have a small Sony P series UMPC that runs Windows 7 (and is slooow). I use it for the normal email, web browsing, GPS navigation (it has a built-in GPS) and some spreadsheet work. It also has built-in Wifi, 3G access, and Bluetooth. Although the screen it 8", the form factor makes it really tiny and hard to read. I am looking to replace this machine with a 10" tablet that will do more or less the same functions. I have looked at the Xoom and it seems like it will work for me, but I am still looking, and perhaps waiting for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 or the Toshiba tablet. I, for one, am willing to pay the Xoom price if I can get the functions I need. I have now seen on these forums that I can get a USB port on the Xoom, and can nearly double (1.5X actually) it's speed with a software mod. I am deeply impressed.

By the way, the iPad (or iPad 2) DOES NOT have a built-in GPS. It uses triangulation from the cell towers to get a position fix. If you are doing nav with this device, and you lose cell connectivity, you will lose your position (and perhaps get lost in the process). I verified this with the folks at ApppleCare.

Steve

#28 Xpedio

Xpedio

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

Amiga has the same device specs as the Xoom for $459. Check out http://amiga.com/shop/?prod_id=2.

#29 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

Amiga has the same device specs as the Xoom for $459. Check out http://amiga.com/shop/?prod_id=2.

You are mistaken. The device you link does not have the same specs as the Xoom. Compare with the Xoom specs here: http://www.slatedroi...inder/_/xoom-r5
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#30 Alb3rt

Alb3rt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

Today I purchased a Xoom here in the UK.

The deal was as follows:

£124.80 for the Xoom
£26.20 per month for 5GB on the 3 (www.three.co.uk) network 24 month contract.
Free Motorola Wireless Keyboard and Mouse offer online in July.

I forced a price match as pc world had the same deal but had not advertised the free accesories.

So $199 US with a contract is showing me they want to keep growing.

I must say it is a great piece of kit!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Edited by Alb3rt, 12 July 2011 - 12:23 PM.

#31 Alb3rt

Alb3rt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

You are mistaken. The device you link does not have the same specs as the Xoom. Compare with the Xoom specs here: http://www.slatedroi...inder/_/xoom-r5

Did the original Xoom have only 1GB storage?

Mine for sure has 32GB but the spec on the forums says 1GB

#32 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

Did the original Xoom have only 1GB storage?

Mine for sure has 32GB but the spec on the forums says 1GB

LOL! Thanks for pointing out that typo. Fixing now. :)
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#33 tablet2cases

tablet2cases

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

dataplans seem to be there out of greed. they remind me of how music industry keeps on trying to sell CDs when everyone just downloads the music for free...unless the tablet has inbuilt wifi, there is no way it will succeed on the market.

#34 new2this

new2this

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

WOW... I just bought a Xoom ... and came right here to check out the threads ... are you telling me my next move is to sell it???

I guess I will check it out ... and see what happens ... thanks for the input though!!!

Peace

#35 lateroid

lateroid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:47 AM

Share your experience with Xoom here, and we can see how it works. Thanks.

#36 enthuz

enthuz

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

This thread is really driving me to Samsung instead. I wonder if there will be some increased improvements soon since Google and Moto are the same...some what?

#37 teddybear

teddybear

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

After weighing all the option i went for the Xoom WiFi. That's all we can get in Canada. So far i have been impressed with it. I got it about 2 weeks ago and finally this past Monday Motorola sent out the update of Android 3.1 which enables the microSD card. Is it perfect? no. I am sure everything has its bells and whistle and problems. I also paid only 400 for mine. i am still learning what i can do with it as i am a complete noob to android, but having fun with it none the less. This is just my 2. it may not sell as well as the iPad or even Galaxy tab but I am happy with mine and that's all that matters. IMO.

#38 Duong

Duong

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

thanks your informations

#39 JayGee

JayGee

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Lets hope with time and effort the xoom can only get better....

Fingers crossed.

Jay :good:

#40 RoxyRose

RoxyRose

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

From other forums, it seems to be the Xoom is thriving and can now be had for $200 on ########### for the 3G version.