The Xoom is doomed!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 ConfusedbyLinux2

ConfusedbyLinux2

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:34 AM

C'mon, Motorola really? $600.00 plus consumers STILL need to buy a data plan. Didn't you guys learn anything
from Samsung? At first their pads were $400.00 with a data plan. Now their $300.00 and they still aren't
selling. Its cool that your device has a gb of Ram, faster processor then the iPad and 32 gb memory, plus Honeycomb
Forcing consumers to spend well over $1,000.00 for the device after the 2year agreement is crazy. The Xoom isn't a phone.
Data plans are dated and free Wi/Fi is everywhere.

There are too many choices now. Did you do any R&D on who your customers might be. People like me are your base.
Did you contact the developers on these sites? Having a solid performing device means little if nobody buys it.
Competing with Apple means pricing your product close to theirs. Yeah, I know you have extra Ram, etc, but that
doesn't mean anything to the average Joe who weighs price, name, value and what the heck does this thing do.

I go to two T-Mobile stores to talk to friends that work there. One, asked said they sold five Galaxy Tabs last month.
Apple sell five or more iPads at their stores per day. Years ago consumers cared about brand names for computers.
Dell made millions on direct sales. Today price rules. Power users may buy Windows based laptops over $1,000.00
but most people buy those under $1,000.00. Apple is the exception as people will pay more for their stuff because
they expect too.

My prediction? The Xoom is doomed.

#2 blazingwolf

blazingwolf

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

Well, your wrong about the tab as they have sold well over a million of them (more then Samsung actually expected to). I agree that the price is a bit to steep for me but spend just $200 more and there is no need for a data plan. Plus the WiFi only version should be coming out in the next month or so. So no real reason to spend over a $1000 for this device. Besides in a few months the price will probably fall a bit.

If you compare this device to the iPad2 that is coming out then it is priced comparably (assuming Apple doesn't raise its price which I don't think they will).

#3 ConfusedbyLinux2

ConfusedbyLinux2

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

Well, your wrong about the tab as they have sold well over a million of them (more then Samsung actually expected to). I agree that the price is a bit to steep for me but spend just $200 more and there is no need for a data plan. Plus the WiFi only version should be coming out in the next month or so. So no real reason to spend over a $1000 for this device. Besides in a few months the price will probably fall a bit.

If you compare this device to the iPad2 that is coming out then it is priced comparably (assuming Apple doesn't raise its price which I don't think they will).

Not to start a debate but: http://www.appleinsi...uite_small.html
and other sites have reported poor sales for the Tab. However your information may be accurate. That they reduced the price may be a indication
of demand. Again, I am basing my point on sites that are reporting poor sales. It seems that the sales figures may be stores and not actual buying
by customers. HSN sold a boatload of the Colby units but they were under $200.00 as, I recall. No expensive data plan tied to the
price. Not being sold in T- Mobile stores where consumers wonder what that big as$ phone looking thing is.

#4 blazingwolf

blazingwolf

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:38 PM

Not to start a debate but: http://www.appleinsi...uite_small.html
and other sites have reported poor sales for the Tab. However your information may be accurate. That they reduced the price may be a indication
of demand. Again, I am basing my point on sites that are reporting poor sales. It seems that the sales figures may be stores and not actual buying
by customers. HSN sold a boatload of the Colby units but they were under $200.00 as, I recall. No expensive data plan tied to the
price. Not being sold in T- Mobile stores where consumers wonder what that big as$ phone looking thing is.

Yeah, notice that they had to update the article to correctly quote Samsung. They did use some weird language in the announcement but they have exceeded their original sales figures estimates. Which was 1 million units before the end of 2010.

Once the wireless only XOOM comes out I think that more will be interested in buying. Only time will tell if you or I is right though so it should be interesting to watch.

#5 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Looking at the iPad v1 now, it's practically an antique - the Xoom still has some bugs to shake out, but the hardware is far superior, except the screen (IPS always beats TFT). The price is very high, I agree - really no point buying an $800 3G/4G device if you don't plan to use the 3G/4G. Wait until the Wifi $600 version is out, then.

Things that need to be fixed for them to really succeed:

- Wifi version needs to be released
- microSD needs to be fixed.
- Google needs to shake out the 3.0 bugs and needs to get devs onboard to support tablets ASAP.

And they need to do this before iPad2. If Apple gets that out in April with a dual core 512MB (or higher) device with a camera and SD slot, the iPad2 is probably going to devour the competition. I don't like the iPad but I can see this happening. For Google's sake, they better hope that the iPad2 gets delayed for months.

Edited by roebeet, 27 February 2011 - 10:35 AM.

Android Devices: Viewsonic GTab, Notion Ink Adam, ASUS Transformer, Cowon D3

#6 ConfusedbyLinux2

ConfusedbyLinux2

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

Personally, I love Apple but the Ipad was a bit out of my budget at the time it came out. So, I bought a Eken M001 later
I grabbed a aPad. I updated them both with the roms I found here. Still later, I bought a G10 and a Tab. I've sold
all of them and now only have a Rocktab from Mp4 Nation and a Hypepad/Flytouch2 on the way from a seller I found here.
Many of the members of these types of sites like to play with the devices to make them work better. Look at all the work done on
the infamous Wits A81e.

However until Honeycomb. The units weren't quite ready for prime time and the iPad was. Still the iPad was several glaring
problems. No SD. That makes some sense because users might just buy a basic unit and use their own SD cards to add memory.
No USB though? No flash support? Yet, Apple has retail real world stores where customers can see the iPad used and play with
one themselves. Its a well known and trusted brand and worst for Samsung, Motorola , ASUS and others. Their prices are cheaper then
their pads.

#7 blazingwolf

blazingwolf

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

MicroSD on the XOOM is not broken. It's not turned on yet. That is supposed to happen in a software update.

What bugs in Honeycomb? I really haven't read of any though I've been busy over the last couple of days so things have probably been mentioned and I just haven't seen it yet.

I think the XOOM compares favorably to the iPad2. Matches it feature to feature and adds a couple of things. I do wish they would have knocked the price down a bit but the same feature wise iPad is $729 so not that big of a difference.

#8 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

MicroSD on the XOOM is not broken. It's not turned on yet. That is supposed to happen in a software update.

What bugs in Honeycomb? I really haven't read of any though I've been busy over the last couple of days so things have probably been mentioned and I just haven't seen it yet.

I think the XOOM compares favorably to the iPad2. Matches it feature to feature and adds a couple of things. I do wish they would have knocked the price down a bit but the same feature wise iPad is $729 so not that big of a difference.

Correct that it's disabled. But that means it's broken (it doesn't work) - so it needs to be fixed. But also correct that it's a firmware update.

As for bugs, I have heard of some instability via other sites like XDA - force closes on apps, mainly. This is not a real surprise to me, as it is a new OS release. Every new OS has bugs.

I can't compare this to an iPad2, since we don't even know what the iPad2 will have. But versus the iPad v1 it's a big step up hardware wise and the software will improve over time.

#9 blazingwolf

blazingwolf

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

True most specs on the iPad2 are rumor but it's typically pretty close to what actually comes out.

As for broken I think that is just semantics.

#10 Sm0k3d0uT

Sm0k3d0uT

The Hand That Smites

• Global Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

Xoom just seems way too expensive for an unfinished product. SD is not useable and you have to send it out for a week to upgrade to 4G. They should have just released the WIFI version first. Instead of a watered down 4G Tablet

#11 pphilipp

pphilipp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

Nope, the Xoom doesn't deliver ENOUGH.
Android forums are filled with you folks who are displaying wishful thinking (I'm one of you).
The reality is that there is no Android tablet which impresses like the iPad does (wait till v2 hits).

Case in point... at the airport last week.
I'm sitting there with my impressive Android tablet, I'm somewhat pleased with the wifi response I'm getting... as well as the interface.
What happens next is a woman who's totally not computer savvy sits across from me with her iPad and instantly starts surfing the net with far more ease and speed than what I'm getting. Suddenly my Android tablet seems inferior. Folks who have been looking over my shoulder are now glancing her way. Her device is clearly outperforming mine... and she really doesn't even know much about what she's doing!!

I've seen the same thing happen in stores. At Best Buy, their Android tablets seem on par with the iPad... until you walk over to the iPad and start playing around with it! It's only then that you notice it's interface and speed and finger response are just a wee bit better.

So, do I sound like someone who's about ready to jump ship and go to the other side??
Definitely.
Not only is the new iPad a better overall machine but they also are now offering Garageband and iMovie on it!!
There are absolutely NO Android apps which even come close. I know, I've tried all that I can. They're all inferior in one way or the other.
((Question to Motorola Xoom... where are your two killer apps??? You have none on par with the two mentioned.))

I've tried for a year to convince myself that an Android tablet is the way to go, but no longer.

Here's my summery... I will continue to use Android on my cellphone. It does it's job quite well. But I'm gonna sell my Android tab and get an iPad. That way I will have the best of both worlds.

Edited by pphilipp, 04 March 2011 - 09:33 AM.

• pyromedic likes this
Instead of getting all excited every time a new competitor to the iPad is released (and the new tablet proves lacking in a variety of ways), why not just support the iPad and push Apple into adding the few missing features you wish it had to begin with?

After all, the iPad has knocked down every challenger to come it's way, and it's not just better marketing, it has done so by offering the best product for the buck.

#12 Sm0k3d0uT

Sm0k3d0uT

The Hand That Smites

• Global Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

Nope, the Xoom doesn't deliver ENOUGH.
Android forums are filled with you folks who are displaying wishful thinking (I'm one of you).
The reality is that there is no Android tablet which impresses like the iPad does (wait till v2 hits).

Case in point... at the airport last week.
I'm sitting there with my impressive Android tablet, I'm somewhat pleased with the wifi response I'm getting... as well as the interface.
What happens next is a woman who's totally not computer savvy sits across from me with her iPad and instantly starts surfing the net with far more ease and speed than what I'm getting. Suddenly my Android tablet seems inferior. Folks who have been looking over my shoulder are now glancing her way. Her device is clearly outperforming mine... and she really doesn't even know much about what she's doing!!

I've seen the same thing happen in stores. At Best Buy, their Android tablets seem on par with the iPad... until you walk over to the iPad and start playing around with it! It's only then that you notice it's interface and speed and finger response are just a wee bit better.

So, do I sound like someone who's about ready to jump ship and go to the other side??
Definitely.
Not only is the new iPad a better overall machine but they also are now offering Garageband and iMovie on it!!
There are absolutely NO Android apps which even come close. I know, I've tried all that I can. They're all inferior in one way or the other.
((Question to Motorola Xoom... where are your two killer apps??? You have none on par with the two mentioned.))

I've tried for a year to convince myself that an Android tablet is the way to go, but no longer.

Here's my summery... I will continue to use Android on my cellphone. It does it's job quite well. But I'm gonna sell my Android tab and get an iPad. That way I will have the best of both worlds.

ok from your sig it looks like you have a Utopia A8?
And you are comparing it to an iPad? In terms of hardware 2 different levels. My G-Tab with nvidia Tegra 2 is just as fast and responsive as the ipad.
I've played with the ipad, wasn't that impressed with it mostly because with an ipad i would have to live in an Apple World (main thing that pissed me off with my ipod touch) I'd have to have iTunes installed on every computer i come in contact with just to add an mp3 (which conveniently gets converted to "apple standards" so I can't use the file on any other mp3 player). i would have to convert every video file I have or will ever have to play on the damn thing, no chance of expanding memory cause no SD slot.

(goes back in to the corner before he goes in to "How Apple is Communism rant)

#13 pphilipp

pphilipp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

ok from your sig it looks like you have a Utopia A8?

Utopia is the third Android tablet I've owned and I'm now using a Galaxy tab (which is somewhat close to the top of current droid devices), so I've had much hands-on experience with the form factor. I've owned four Windows XP tablets and six WinCe tablets (a couple old Newtons, Palms, Smartphones, Blackberry, etc)... they all have their strengths and weaknesses in the world of interacting with a screen. Though there's much I like about the droid tablets, I'm not convinced they're the best device currently on the market.

Believe it or not Android tablets/media devices/players/etc have had prototypes and/or marketed devices far before the ipad entered the market. Their sales were quite low for a variety of reasons, one of which is they didn't deliver anything outstanding, and a few were even a step backwards in certain aspects.

Quite a few people have proclaimed that the ipad doesn't 'wow' them or impress. I can respect their opinion... after all it's only an opinion and not a fact. But if we're going to be honest and use the same criteria, we have to admit that so far there hasn't been any truly revolutionary or outstanding Android tablets reach market either. The Xoom is at the very pinnacle and it's still not the ipad-killer that Apple-haters have been hoping for... especially now that Apple has unveiled an even more impressive product.

I'm not one to stick with an OS or form factor if I feel it's not delivering, and I'm spending far too much to keep buying each improvement that comes along. The continuity between the hardware and the software with droid tablets has not been impressive. Apple, and even Microsoft, have done a much better job of delivering in this regard.
Instead of getting all excited every time a new competitor to the iPad is released (and the new tablet proves lacking in a variety of ways), why not just support the iPad and push Apple into adding the few missing features you wish it had to begin with?

After all, the iPad has knocked down every challenger to come it's way, and it's not just better marketing, it has done so by offering the best product for the buck.

#14 xaueious

xaueious

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

I'm surprised that you don't like the Galaxy Tab compared to the iPad.

SoC and Features
Apple does not have a much more impressive product in hardware. Their specifications are merely equivalent to existing Tegra 2 solutions.

Having the Apple jack is for aesthetics only. From a usability standpoint, it is ridiculous.

Replaceable battery?

USB host?

Hardware Design
The Galaxy Tab feels like a cheap piece of plastic, but it is light weight - almost half of an iPad. The iPad is more solid, but at the expense of much increased weight.

Form factor
I don't buy Apple's 800x600 4:3 form factor for multimedia consumption, but it is much better for reading. If your gripe is with touch response, you need to compare apples to apples. The capacitive touchscreen on the Galaxy Tab is not worse than the one on the iPad. Android is designed for 16:9 right now, and that's what tablets have to stick to to maintain good compatibility. Try watching a movie or two.

OS
When you say you don't think the OS compares, you need to be more specific. Android's browser is faster than iOS from Android 2.2 onwards. It also handles multitasking in a way that iOS can only dream of.

iOS enjoys a much wider selection of games and better apps. Android is far behind. But the OS itself is not incapable, especially with Android 2.3's gaming optimizations. From 2.3 onwards, Android exceeds the features of iOS in my opinion.

Edited by xaueious, 05 March 2011 - 08:40 AM.

#15 pphilipp

pphilipp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

I'm not referring to specs on paper, but hands on experience... that's where it counts. I've tried to get my hands on every tablet I could for the past few years (believe it or not WinCe tablets have advantages the others don't, but many disadvantages too).
I haven't used a Xoom yet so I really have no expertise to even speak about it, but I can attest that other droid tablets I have used have lacked in various ways. I can see the Xoom has blown one very important aspect that might be a major one... not bringing the device in at a sub-$500 price! If the quality is so incredible that every person who compares it to an iPad feels it's a better device, then the price just might be justified.

#16 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:29 AM

I'm not referring to specs on paper, but hands on experience... that's where it counts. I've tried to get my hands on every tablet I could for the past few years (believe it or not WinCe tablets have advantages the others don't, but many disadvantages too).
I haven't used a Xoom yet so I really have no expertise to even speak about it, but I can attest that other droid tablets I have used have lacked in various ways. I can see the Xoom has blown one very important aspect that might be a major one... not bringing the device in at a sub-$500 price! If the quality is so incredible that every person who compares it to an iPad feels it's a better device, then the price just might be justified.

32GB minimum spec will not get it to the $500 price point - a $600 Wifi version will show up at the EO of the month, which is on par with an iPad2 price. There's no "Xoom basic version", like the iPad had. It's a shame because a 16GB version would sell very well once the microSD is activated.

My Xoom is coming today, and I had a iPad at one point. I'm going to test it out and will be able to give an objective opinion.

#17 Mp4

Mp4

Admin Ninja

• Administrators
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:33 AM

Say what you will , still getting the wifi only model when its available. 8) stay frosty
@roebeet hope to see a few reviews and vids puhleaze :db:
Are you lost, Follow us on Twitter
http://twitter.com/slatedroid
C8+/Hp Touchpad/Galaxy Tab/
http://androidtabletfirmware.net

#18 Sm0k3d0uT

Sm0k3d0uT

The Hand That Smites

• Global Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

Say what you will , still getting the wifi only model when its available. 8) stay frosty
@roebeet hope to see a few reviews and vids puhleaze :db:

I might get a Xoom WiFi, I have a 4G Mifi, it will all depend on how much it is after it "falls of the truck" and if it will have the development support like the G-Tab has.

#19 artartful

artartful

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

From a tablet shopper's perspective, the Xoom is just too expensive. Motorola thinks they can charge the Apple tax, and I won't pay it. $600 is crazy when I can order a Viewsonic GTablet for under $300. The only hardware difference that matters to me is 1024x600 vs 1200x800. The higher res would be nice, but not twice the price nice. 32GB internal RAM is meaningless when the GTab has SD expansion and Motorola disables it on the Xoom. Honeycomb is probably neat, but amortized over the market life of the product, the development costs over Gingerbread can not justify the price. Moto is just being too greedy, and it is not good for the Android tablet market as a whole.

#20 burnzz

burnzz

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

My prediction? The Xoom is doomed.

i guess i missed out. i bought the Xoom last weekend, registered for this forum today, and found this post.

oh well, i will struggle on, learn about Honeycomb, enable 4G, and keep browsing this forum. maybe i'll find more threads that amuse me here . . . :drinks:
- Motorola Xoom 3G, since April 2011 -