Android Tablets Forum banner

Alternate WPDN Firmware: OP-based "OPDN" (current version 2.1.1)

552K views 1K replies 320 participants last post by  tgore443 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[Moderator Edit 4/12/12]

If you are having trouble with "no content" in the Market, Panengineer has a No Matching Content Market Fix pinned on the WPDN main page.

[Mod Edit 6/13/12] : *WARNING*

**Do NOT use this if you have SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP FW** <---This is a 2012 dated FW reported not compatible with the 2010/2011 FWs.

[/edit(s)]

Based off of 03/02/2011 OP firmware "SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip". Choose a version that you want:

OPDN v2.1.0 BASE - SH20_OPDN_2_10_BASE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?5cz1t3nmba7tnxy)
MD5 Hash: 794d6c2c2f36642961ea6e09058ea70a

OPDN v2.1.0 GAPPS - SH20_OPDN_2_10_GAPPS_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?2ca1n6l6yg6vbyl)
MD5 Hash: f4257d70383a8da57c735c58e1ba72bd

OPDN v2.1.1 Supplement - SH20_OPDN_2_11_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?sciqda3vvagb431)
MD5 Hash: d5429bd0e9fbeb554b34261d6a5389bb

Supplement is a minor add-on, and doesn't flash the boot / kernel / recovery. It's like a "service pack" and is flashed like a normal firmware update. You must flash v2.1.0 BASE or GAPPS prior to flashing the supplement!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes in v2.1.1 - Added back LatinIME.apk (keyboard with dictionary file for auto-correcting text). Fixed all errors related to keyboard at bootup (mainly experienced by GAPPS and Market users). Added malware fix (no longer need to run the malware fix update). Fixed the framework.jar so you no longer need to restore stock framework.jar after getting the Market working. v2.1.1 is a non-destructive supplement that is flashed like a normal firmware update but does not mess with any settings, data, etc.

Changes in v2.1.0 - all fixes up to and including v2.0.2 and now based on the new 03/02 OP firmware from Pandigital. Also removed custom LatinIME.apk with the dictionary (it was causing some weird issues - if I can fix, I'll push out with the next update).

GAPPS & Market-Only Users Please Read

Please flash my v2.1.1 supplement to fix keyboard and lingering app issues. Sorry!

Changes in v2.0.2 - fixed build.prop to correctly disable JNI checking for compatibility with Slingplayer and likely other applications (thanks mac1_131). v2.0.2 is a non-destructive incremental update that doesn't replace any critical system files and includes the fixes found in v2.0.1. It is flashed like a normal firmware update. Please ensure that NO OTHER update files are on your internal or external SD cards. The v2.0.2 update applies to both the BASE and GAPPS versions.

Changes in v2.0.1 - fixed build.prop to stop unknown errors occuring in B&N app.

This is a mod based off the OP firmware (03/02 release) that Pandigital seems to be moving towards, with the Novel. This is a continuation of roebeet's v1.1.1 and starts with those enhancements as a base (note due to frequent requests, the Ubuntu fonts have been removed). It is 100% OP stock, with the exception of these changes:

BASE
  • Adds a few of the original stock PDN apps (ie, Video and Settings)
  • Removes the Facebook app and the Chinese keyboard (the included Facebook app was filled with bloatware and isn't as good as the one available at the end of this post or in the Market)
  • Rooted and Busybox added (Titanium Backup friendly) - rooting allows applications to run as the root "super" user and unlock the full PDN filesystem; Busybox is a collection of UNIX utilities that add additional functionality
  • Spica drivers added (2d/3d graphics enhancement) - the Spica drivers are custom graphics drivers that have been modified to work on the PDN and improve 2d/3d graphics during normal operation and while playing games
  • JIT enhancement added (DVM w/ JIT) - this replaces the built-in Dalvik Virtual Machine (DVM) with an optimized one with Just-In-Time (JIT) options enabled; this improves the speed and performance of the PDN, but as discussed below, can cause some compatibility issues with popular applications (instructions for reverting back to the stock/factory DVM are below)
  • Utilizes their "firmware" settings section to add a Slatedroid nod (updates model, device name, and version)
  • AdFree hosts file added (blocks ads from common malware sites and ad providers)
  • Adhoc friendly wireless supplicant added (lets the PDN see and connect to AdHoc wireless networks)
  • SpareParts.apk added from older stock (allows you to change some under the hood settings)

GAPPS includes the above and also:
  • Market, Google Mail, Calendar, Maps
  • Quick-Sync-Settings app to allow for changing the Google Account associated with the market install and quick access to sync settings

Instructions if moving from a non-OP ROM (pretty much anything pre-2011):

1. Optional step 1 - While not mandatory, I recommend doing a factory reset before flashing to ensure all lingering components in /data are erased. Again, not critical, but ensures you get a clean flash. To do a factory reset, goto Settings, Privacy, Factory data reset.
  2. Copy the zip to the root of your SD card (ensure that NO other firmware updates or enhancement updates are present on your card)
  3. Flash as usual, this might take several minutes to complete and it will reboot automagically ( turn off your PDN, and flash by holding volume up and the power button simultaneously for about 5 seconds until you see the flash process begin)
  4. After the first boot into the UI, copy the file back to the root of SD card and flash AGAIN. This is required to install all the user applications, like ES File Explorer
  5. Once the second flash is complete, feel free to add the external SD card again
Instructions if moving from an OP ROM (examples are 1/3, 1/11, 1/14, 1/27, 2/15 firmwares):

Same as above, except that you should only have to flash it once.

Special note regarding GAPPS version and Market

On your first boot, you'll be prompted with a message asking about which setup wizard should be used. Choose the first option and setup your PDN as your normally would (time-zone, language, etc). This version has the "non-ugly" Clorkworx hack installed. This means that the Market "just works", no second ID trick needed. However, you need to follow these steps to the letter, to enable the Market.

1. Enable Wifi, of course
  2. Run the Market app. Add your userID / password as you normally would. Market app will then close.
  3. Re-run the Market app immediately, and download any free app you want ASAP. I usually pick Pandora since since it's usually in the Top Ten free apps, and it's an app I trust. Make sure the install is successful.
  4. Most likely the Market will close shortly afterwards. Re-run the Market again and re-test a free app download. You'll notice that the Market app has been updated.
The reason why you need to do this ASAP is that the Market updates itself almost immediately after you run it. The "non-ugly" hack needs the old Market to work, and it "takes" once you download an app. If you happen to miss the window, you can re-try by going into Settings -- Applications -- Manage Applications, delete the Market app (which is the updated version) and then re-try again. You shouldn't have to re-flash.

Note that if for some reason the Market STILL doesn't work or you get "Server Unavailable" issues when accessing the Market, you can try setting your clock back about 24 hours and connect again. As a last resort, that has worked in most cases.

List of files

META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script. This is the updater script. It has all the file DELETES. So, if you want to keep PinyinIME.apk, you'd delete that particular line. But don't delete this entire file, or else the updater won't run at all.

/system/app/PD*.apk - The old PDN stock files, like Music and Video.
/system/app/Calculator.apk - This is a calculator app that has been customized to work with the DVM JIT enhancement.
/bin/wpa_supplicant - This is the ad-hoc friendly supplicant.
/etc/hosts - This is the "ad-free" hosts file (as of 2/19)
/lib/egl - These are the Spica video driver updates (2d/3d graphics enhancement).
/lib/libdvm.so - This is the enhanced DVM module that includes JIT which has some problems with the Kindle app.
/xbin/* - Root (proper su) and Busybox.
build.prop - This is the main config file for Android and is where the SDK version, model, firmware, and version are updated. You probably want to leave that one alone unless you know what you're doing.

Gapps version: Everything of importance is under /system/app, although there are a few files elsewhere. The more critical ones you'll care about are:

GenieWidget.apk - News and Weather
Gmail.apk - Google Mail application
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk - Background sync service
googlevoice.apk - Google Voice application
gtalkservice.apk - Service for running Google Voice
Maps.apk - Google Maps application (note that the libraries included with this APK also allow several popular Twitter clients to work)
Vending.apk - This is the main Market file.

Also, /framework/framework.jar is where the "non-ugly" hack resides.

As mentioned a few times above, the DVM with JIT improves the overall performance of the WPDN but causes compatibility issues with several popular applications, including Kindle, Tapatalk and even the stock Pandigital calculator. If you want to use any of those apps, you can run this update to remove the JIT component and restore the stock DVM (http://www.mediafire.com/?wppaer17vvjy9br).

Market Only Option for BASE Users:

If you like the idea of having the Android Market but don't want all of the fluff included with the full GAPPS suite, this option is for you. First download this file - Market Only Enhancement. Copy the downloaded ZIP file to your SD card, ensuring that NO OTHER update ZIP's are on either SD card. Flash like usual and follow the same instructions listed above for registering with the Market. Note that you must still quickly download an app before the Market updates itself.

Other popular enhancement options:

These are flashable updates that work just like a firmware update, only MUCH quicker. Simply copy the downloaded ZIP file to your external SD card, turn off your PDN, and flash by holding volume up and the power button simultaneously for about 5 seconds until you see the flash process begin. Make sure all other update ZIP files are removed from your SD cards before beginning. Note that these must be flashed one at a time.

volkey Hack - Changes the functionality of the PDN's volume keys to be menu and back (vol up is menu and vol down is back) (http://www.mediafire.com/?4lxaztrgukfuxd2)
Revert volkey - Restores the PDN default volume key mapping (http://www.mediafire.com/?lxh2w9nto6bmqi1)

Flash Lite 10.1 - This update installs a version of Flash Lite v10.1 that works on the WPDN. Note that it also installs the Optimized DVM with JIT as it is a prereq for Flash to work correctly (http://www.mediafire.com/?e216e83gib8w10c)

Restore stock DVM (remove JIT) - This update restores the stock DVM and removes the JIT component that causes app compatibility issues (http://www.mediafire.com/?wppaer17vvjy9br)

Market-only - If you don't want all of the Google Apps and are just looking for a working Android market, this update allows you to accomplish this. It only works on top of the BASE firmware above (it doesn't delete anything - only adds, so it would be duplicative on the GAPPS version). All of the same instructions regarding getting the Market running are the same as listed above (http://www.mediafire.com/?rw3lpxmzhdfh3pk)

Restore stock framework.jar - As explained above, once the Market is running and has been updated, use this update to restore your framework.jar to the stock version for added application compatibility (http://www.mediafire.com/?4xxpgty99rjh7hd).

Frequently Requested Apps

I don't want to pollute this thread too much, but I frequently get asked about a few key apps. Here are some that work well with this firmware (I promise to keep this list pretty small):

Please let me know if you have any issues, questions, comments, or suggestions for future versions.

IMPORTANT UPDATE - MALWARE PROTECTION

As discussed in this thread, malware has been found in the official Android Market. Please install this update ASAP to protect yourself from this exploit and future variants. This is a normal flashable update that is non-destructive and wont mess with any settings, etc. It is designed and tested on my MOD, but should work on any WPDN firmware.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3r52ctd0h9p57u2

Old Versions

OPDN v2.0.0 BASE - SH20_OPDN_2_00_BASE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?6fxg8u0rr57zf6j)
MD5 Hash: 216124946b2e157de575954d39cf3591

OPDN v2.0.0 GAPPS - SH20_OPDN_2_00_GAPPS_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?7b3l02xr0ybbwf7)
MD5 Hash: b7775bbcfb118b0a3ab3a2eb6b921d8e

OPDN v2.0.2 Incremental - SH20_OPDN_2_02_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?wkpbe3elc8j0xpl)
MD5 Hash: 017445c1357b5fa64e43a90002dfc28c

Note that v2.0.0 BASE or GAPPS must be flashed FIRST before flashing v2.0.2.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for your hard work!

Just updated from 1/27 with GAPPS, here are some thoughts/issues:

1. I selected the wrong version (without GAPPS), but ran the GAPPS flash afterward
2. Wireless wouldn't connect to my adhoc hotspot until a second restart.
3. Wireless seems a little flaky, and sometimes won't connect to the hotspot.
4. Wireless "seems" slower to connect to me.
5. The Market is broken. After connecting the first time, signing in, the market closed as planned. However, upon opening the second time, it crashed. "A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen." This still happens after a reboot.

Will try to uninstall the market, if I can.

***EDIT*** There is no marketplace in manage apps to uninstall. Tried reflashing the marketplace update again, but still broken.

Is it safe to download and reflash with the full install including marketplace?

Gary

#3 ·
Thanks for your hard work!

Just updated from 1/27 with GAPPS, here are some thoughts/issues:

1. I selected the wrong version (without GAPPS), but ran the GAPPS flash afterward
2. Wireless wouldn't connect to my adhoc hotspot until a second restart.
3. Wireless seems a little flaky, and sometimes won't connect to the hotspot.
4. Wireless "seems" slower to connect to me.
5. The Market is broken. After connecting the first time, signing in, the market closed as planned. However, upon opening the second time, it crashed. "A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen." This still happens after a reboot.

Will try to uninstall the market, if I can.

***EDIT*** There is no marketplace in manage apps to uninstall.

Gary
Hmm - that means that the market didn't update. You can try changing your time back 24 hours and connecting to the Market again OR try the second account trick (in accounts and sync settings, add second account).

I noticed that wireless seemed slower for me on initial connect but seems MUCH quicker to reconnect when coming out of sleep. Let me know what happens with your market. It worked fine for me installing the GAPPS version and then also when I installed base and the market-only.

#9 ·
Wifi seems prone to stop working now, reboot fixes it. Haven't been able to get it to access an adhoc network, but I spent about 1 minute on it so it might just need a reboot or be fussy. BN just doesn't work right now, won't open anything. On the other hand Aldiko works brilliantly with the volume hack so I don't miss it.

Everything works except the Angry Birds app, it is missing some fonts or anything. Plays well, but text boxes seem to be missing. Other than that it now tests in quadrant a little bit faster.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
As hardcopi stated, my Wifi now is prone to just stopping when connected to an AdHoc hotspot. Sometimes doesn't connect, other times just stops passing data. Haven't connected to an AP yet. Other than that, it seems to be working well.

***EDIT*** Out of curiosity, if this build continues to give me headaches regarding the WiFi, will there be any issues flashing back to Robeet's 1/27 v1.1 build?

Gary

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
In your patches, is the "restore framework jar" the same as the other patch from SD Card Enhancements or is this one new and specific to 2/15/11?

EDIT: Either I missed it or it's now clear the linked flash restore file updates to the specific 2/15 framework. Never should have doubted you KG. Great work.

#19 ·
The WiFi performance with my AdHoc hotspot is driving me crazy. One minute it connects fine, then the next, it won't. Rebooting the machine doesn't seem to help. My WPDN has been unable to connect since going to sleep about 20 minutes ago. Rebooting, recreating the connection doesn't seem to work. Just says "scanning....", then "Disconnected"

Since these are both post 2011 FW's, can I just flash back to Roebeets 1/27 build?

Regards,

Gary

#20 ·
I have not tried switching any of the SH20 FWs that way. I have always gone back to stock first. BUT if you decide to try it, make sure you always do a factory data reset before changing any FWs. If your WPDN acts strange after flashing, go back to stock for a clean baseline. Let us know how it works if you do go for it.

#21 ·
I finally got around to trying the ad hoc using my virgin mobile cell phone. Worked beautiful. Used Wifi Tether and it connected fine (I did have to reboot it, but it seems I do whenever I connect to a new network). It was pretty darned fast too, was able to play a youtube video with no stuttering and only a few seconds of original buffering time.

The volkey hack works great when using Aldiko. These updates have made it fully functioning for what I needed.

Thanks,

Rich.

#22 ·
I loaded the latest FW from Pandigital (SH20_20110215_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip); loaded the OPDN v2.0.0 GAPPS - SH20_OPDN_2_00_GAPPS_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip; followed the instructions for Market and got it working. I then ran restore framework.jar. Everything looked good. WiFi was working. Email worked. Ran B&N and got the "unknown error" message. I'd like to go back to stock Pandigital FW and check to make sure B&N is working but I'm not sure how to proceed in order to get back to either 2/15 or 1/27 build. I tried removing any "zip" files from the PD_Novel (I assume that's the internal SD) and loading (flashing) the 2/15 Pandigital FW but I get android error icon when I try that. What should I do next?

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is Pandigital's download Mirror Stock SH20_20110215_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP Here

Remove any FW files from your internal microSD and power your WPDN off.
Get the current stock FW from the link above.
Flash this from your External SD.
You will need to flash this twice.
You should be back to stock.

#25 ·
I guess my next question is: should I be installing these mods from the internal (PD_Novel) SD or from my external SD? I'm really confused as to which SD I should be making changes from and why. It seems like upgrades are put into the internal SD and reverts into the external SD (only back as far as 1/27 or I run into huge problems, right?). Is that the case or am I just completely clueless (and yes, I'm VERY new to the PD and the Android OS so being called clueless wouldn't be the worst thing in the world).

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)

Internal = microSD card
External = SD card

kewlguy's Instructions from first post
Instructions if moving from a non-OP ROM (pretty much anything pre-2011):

1.Copy the zip to the root of your SD card (ensure that NO other firmware updates or enhancement updates are present on your card)

2.Flash as usual, this might take several minutes to complete and it will reboot automagically ( turn off your PDN, and flash by holding volume up and the power button simultaneously for about 5 seconds until you see the flash process begin)

3.After the first boot into the UI, copy the file back to the root of SD card and flash AGAIN. This is required to install all the user applications, like ES File Explorer

4.Once the second flash is complete, feel free to add the external SD card again

#27 ·
I went back to the stock PD FW (2-15) and B&N works. I loaded the BASE mod (no Market) and B&N didn't work. I loaded Volkey. B&N still didn't work. I'm now back to stock PD FW. I guess I'll wait until someone figures out what's causing the issue with the B&N application.

#29 ·
I'm trying to figure out what could be causing the B&N issues. I've tried removing pretty much every enhancement from the updater-script but the books still get an unknown error. I'll keep you posted.

#28 ·
Mrs. B, I think PDuser actually asks a good question there. The way those instructions read, I think maybe kewldude meant to type microSD. Those instructions seem almost identical to the the ones for Roebeet's mod (which did flash from the internal card). And #4 doesn't make sense if you are already using the SD card (plus you wouldn't have to copy the file to the root again for the second flash).

I flashed it from the internal and everything worked just fine, except the B&N.

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
@burgerflipper and PDuser

Personally, I don't think it matters which card a person flashes from. I have done it both ways successfully. The way kewlguy has it written, I read it as External SD. The way roebeet writes his, it is definitely Internal microSD. The differences are mainly (IMHO) the way they have found to work while making their mods.

By using the External SD card to flash FW, the FW file isn't accidentally / inadvertently left on the internal microSD when changing FWs or adding enhancements. If there is a FW left on the internal microSD, while flashing from the External SD, Angry Andy shows up. Thus causing an unsuccessful FW flash.

Again:
Internal = microSD card
External = SD card

To point out the differences:
Kewlguys instructions are quoted 4 posts back in reply #26

roebeet's instructions here.
Instructions (if moving from a non-OP ROM):

- Pull out the external SD
- Copy the zip to the root of your microSD ("PD_Novel")
- Flash as usual, this might take several minutes to complete and it will reboot automagically
- After the first boot into the UI, copy the file back to the root of microSD and flash AGAIN. This is required to install all the user applications, like ES File Explorer
- Once the second flash is complete, feel free to add the external SD card again

#31 ·
It doesn't matter which card you flash from as long as you ENSURE that there is only ONE update file on your card. I personally use the external, but that is still from the dark days of flash loops where it was an additional safe guard.

#34 ·
Do you always flash back to a stock FW before flashing a new firmware?

I upgraded my two WPDNS to the stock 1/27 FW, then added some KG enhancements, then installed a bunch of apps from .apk. Everything was awesome except that I couldn't install from the Android Market website anymore, which I *really* like being able to do. I've been struggling with this all day.

When I came to SlateDroid this morning and saw that kewlguy had posted a brand spanking new FW based on a new FW from PanDigital (2/15), I decided to try it on one of my WPDNs in the hopes that it would automagically fix my problem. I installed the non-GE version, plus a selection of enhancements. I had to use the time-travel trick to get the Market working. Market installation from the web still didn't work, then I learned that installing from the Market website required Google Voice. So, I am about to try re-flashing with the GApps version. I have a 4 year old who is pretty unhappy that all of her games are gone from her tablet.

Questions:

Should I have flashed the stock PanDigital 2/15 FW before flashing KG's custom FW?
Is it my imagination that wifi is a little flakier on 2/15?
If I wanted to go back to 1/27 from 2/15, are there any known issues?

#38 ·
Working on a fix now. I haven't figured out what is wrong yet though. If you are running 3.0.1, that is the pre-2011 OP so you need to follow the instructions as if you are coming from stock (i.e. flash twice).

#42 ·
It's possible, but in this case, not likely. It consistently plagues me - factory restore or not. I have some theories I'm working through and hope to have a fix shortly. Thanks for the suggestion.

#43 ·
I hate the idea of going backwards, but I'm still having the B&N issues and am getting wireless disconnects on 2/15. 1/27 was quite stable in my opinion, so I'm toying with the idea to release v2.1.0 that goes back to 1/27 as the base. Any thoughts? If I had to make a prediction, I could see PDN replacing 2/15 pretty quickly, similar to what they did with 1/3 and 1/11.

#50 · (Edited by Moderator)
Problem was due to me trying to be tricky with the build.prop file. When the ADE authorization and device information is created for B&N, it requires the device to have a model name of PD Novel. In addition to changing the device build and version to OPDN v2.0.0, I also changed the model to Slatedroid-OPDN, which caused the ADE to get out of whack. It is a simple fix and I just uploaded it. Flash as an incremental update and nothing will be negatively impacted. Sorry for any inconvenience! Since most people voted for 2/15 still, that is where I'm staying =)

http://www.mediafire.com/?2i4hbsgh64p73o7

mrsburnout - Can you update the title to reflect v2.0.1?

Also - are my instructions for how to use v2.0.1 clear enough?

#51 ·
I meant to mention - I had some weird issues going from 2/15 to 1/27. Nothing that was irreversible, but I kept getting stuck in the initial setup menu. That made me even happier to find a fix for the B&N issues since I didn't want any of our n00b friends having issues when starting from a newly updated 2/15 setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.