If you are having trouble with "no content" in the Market, panengineer has a No Matching Content Market Fix pinned on the WPDN main page.
[Mod Edit 6/13/12] : *WARNING*
**Do NOT use this if you have SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP FW** <---This is a 2012 dated FW reported not compatible with the 2010/2011 FWs.
Based off of 03/02/2011 OP firmware "SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip". Choose a version that you want:
OPDN v2.1.0 BASE - http://www.mediafire.com/?5cz1t3nmba7tnxy (http://www.mediafire.com/?5cz1t3nmba7tnxy)
MD5 Hash: 794d6c2c2f36642961ea6e09058ea70a
OPDN v2.1.0 GAPPS - http://www.mediafire.com/?2ca1n6l6yg6vbyl (http://www.mediafire.com/?2ca1n6l6yg6vbyl)
MD5 Hash: f4257d70383a8da57c735c58e1ba72bd
OPDN v2.1.1 Supplement - http://www.mediafire.com/?sciqda3vvagb431 (http://www.mediafire.com/?sciqda3vvagb431)
MD5 Hash: d5429bd0e9fbeb554b34261d6a5389bb
Supplement is a minor add-on, and doesn't flash the boot / kernel / recovery. It's like a "service pack" and is flashed like a normal firmware update. You must flash v2.1.0 BASE or GAPPS prior to flashing the supplement!
Changes in v2.1.1 - Added back LatinIME.apk (keyboard with dictionary file for auto-correcting text). Fixed all errors related to keyboard at bootup (mainly experienced by GAPPS and Market users). Added malware fix (no longer need to run the malware fix update). Fixed the framework.jar so you no longer need to restore stock framework.jar after getting the Market working. v2.1.1 is a non-destructive supplement that is flashed like a normal firmware update but does not mess with any settings, data, etc.
Changes in v2.1.0 - all fixes up to and including v2.0.2 and now based on the new 03/02 OP firmware from Pandigital. Also removed custom LatinIME.apk with the dictionary (it was causing some weird issues - if I can fix, I'll push out with the next update).
GAPPS & Market-Only Users Please Read
Please flash my http://www.mediafire.com/?sciqda3vvagb431 to fix keyboard and lingering app issues. Sorry!
Changes in v2.0.2 - fixed build.prop to correctly disable JNI checking for compatibility with Slingplayer and likely other applications (thanks mac1_131). v2.0.2 is a non-destructive incremental update that doesn't replace any critical system files and includes the fixes found in v2.0.1. It is flashed like a normal firmware update. Please ensure that NO OTHER update files are on your internal or external SD cards. The v2.0.2 update applies to both the BASE and GAPPS versions.
Changes in v2.0.1 - fixed build.prop to stop unknown errors occuring in B&N app.
This is a mod based off the OP firmware (03/02 release) that Pandigital seems to be moving towards, with the Novel. This is a continuation of roebeet's v1.1.1 and starts with those enhancements as a base (note due to frequent requests, the Ubuntu fonts have been removed). It is 100% OP stock, with the exception of these changes:
- Adds a few of the original stock PDN apps (ie, Video and Settings)
- Removes the Facebook app and the Chinese keyboard (the included Facebook app was filled with bloatware and isn't as good as the one available at the end of this post or in the Market)
- Rooted and Busybox added (Titanium Backup friendly) - rooting allows applications to run as the root "super" user and unlock the full PDN filesystem; Busybox is a collection of UNIX utilities that add additional functionality
- Spica drivers added (2d/3d graphics enhancement) - the Spica drivers are custom graphics drivers that have been modified to work on the PDN and improve 2d/3d graphics during normal operation and while playing games
- JIT enhancement added (DVM w/ JIT) - this replaces the built-in Dalvik Virtual Machine (DVM) with an optimized one with Just-In-Time (JIT) options enabled; this improves the speed and performance of the PDN, but as discussed below, can cause some compatibility issues with popular applications (instructions for reverting back to the stock/factory DVM are below)
- Utilizes their "firmware" settings section to add a Slatedroid nod (updates model, device name, and version)
- AdFree hosts file added (blocks ads from common malware sites and ad providers)
- Adhoc friendly wireless supplicant added (lets the PDN see and connect to AdHoc wireless networks)
- SpareParts.apk added from older stock (allows you to change some under the hood settings)
GAPPS includes the above and also:
- Market, Google Mail, Calendar, Maps
- Quick-Sync-Settings app to allow for changing the Google Account associated with the market install and quick access to sync settings
Instructions if moving from a non-OP ROM (pretty much anything pre-2011):
- Optional step 1 - While not mandatory, I recommend doing a factory reset before flashing to ensure all lingering components in /data are erased. Again, not critical, but ensures you get a clean flash. To do a factory reset, goto Settings, Privacy, Factory data reset.
- Copy the zip to the root of your SD card (ensure that NO other firmware updates or enhancement updates are present on your card)
- Flash as usual, this might take several minutes to complete and it will reboot automagically ( turn off your PDN, and flash by holding volume up and the power button simultaneously for about 5 seconds until you see the flash process begin)
- After the first boot into the UI, copy the file back to the root of SD card and flash AGAIN. This is required to install all the user applications, like ES File Explorer
- Once the second flash is complete, feel free to add the external SD card again
Same as above, except that you should only have to flash it once.
Special note regarding GAPPS version and Market
On your first boot, you'll be prompted with a message asking about which setup wizard should be used. Choose the first option and setup your PDN as your normally would (time-zone, language, etc). This version has the "non-ugly" Clorkworx hack installed. This means that the Market "just works", no second ID trick needed. However, you need to follow these steps to the letter, to enable the Market.
- Enable Wifi, of course
- Run the Market app. Add your userID / password as you normally would. Market app will then close.
- Re-run the Market app immediately, and download any free app you want ASAP. I usually pick Pandora since since it's usually in the Top Ten free apps, and it's an app I trust. Make sure the install is successful.
- Most likely the Market will close shortly afterwards. Re-run the Market again and re-test a free app download. You'll notice that the Market app has been updated.
Note that if for some reason the Market STILL doesn't work or you get "Server Unavailable" issues when accessing the Market, you can try setting your clock back about 24 hours and connect again. As a last resort, that has worked in most cases.
List of files
META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script. This is the updater script. It has all the file DELETES. So, if you want to keep PinyinIME.apk, you'd delete that particular line. But don't delete this entire file, or else the updater won't run at all.
/system/app/PD*.apk - The old PDN stock files, like Music and Video.
/system/app/Calculator.apk - This is a calculator app that has been customized to work with the DVM JIT enhancement.
/bin/wpa_supplicant - This is the ad-hoc friendly supplicant.
/etc/hosts - This is the "ad-free" hosts file (as of 2/19)
/lib/egl - These are the Spica video driver updates (2d/3d graphics enhancement).
/lib/libdvm.so - This is the enhanced DVM module that includes JIT which has some problems with the Kindle app.
/xbin/* - Root (proper su) and Busybox.
build.prop - This is the main config file for Android and is where the SDK version, model, firmware, and version are updated. You probably want to leave that one alone unless you know what you're doing.
Gapps version: Everything of importance is under /system/app, although there are a few files elsewhere. The more critical ones you'll care about are:
GenieWidget.apk - News and Weather
Gmail.apk - Google Mail application
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk - Background sync service
googlevoice.apk - Google Voice application
gtalkservice.apk - Service for running Google Voice
Maps.apk - Google Maps application (note that the libraries included with this APK also allow several popular Twitter clients to work)
Vending.apk - This is the main Market file.
Also, /framework/framework.jar is where the "non-ugly" hack resides.
As mentioned a few times above, the DVM with JIT improves the overall performance of the WPDN but causes compatibility issues with several popular applications, including Kindle, Tapatalk and even the stock Pandigital calculator. If you want to use any of those apps, you can run http://www.mediafire.com/?wppaer17vvjy9br to remove the JIT component and restore the stock DVM (http://www.mediafire.com/?wppaer17vvjy9br).
Market Only Option for BASE Users:
If you like the idea of having the Android Market but don't want all of the fluff included with the full GAPPS suite, this option is for you. First download this file - http://www.mediafire.com/?rw3lpxmzhdfh3pk. Copy the downloaded ZIP file to your SD card, ensuring that NO OTHER update ZIP's are on either SD card. Flash like usual and follow the same instructions listed above for registering with the Market. Note that you must still quickly download an app before the Market updates itself.
Other popular enhancement options:
These are flashable updates that work just like a firmware update, only MUCH quicker. Simply copy the downloaded ZIP file to your external SD card, turn off your PDN, and flash by holding volume up and the power button simultaneously for about 5 seconds until you see the flash process begin. Make sure all other update ZIP files are removed from your SD cards before beginning. Note that these must be flashed one at a time.
http://www.mediafire.com/?4lxaztrgukfuxd2 - Changes the functionality of the PDN's volume keys to be menu and back (vol up is menu and vol down is back) (http://www.mediafire.com/?4lxaztrgukfuxd2)
http://www.mediafire.com/?lxh2w9nto6bmqi1 - Restores the PDN default volume key mapping (http://www.mediafire.com/?lxh2w9nto6bmqi1)
http://www.mediafire.com/?e216e83gib8w10c - This update installs a version of Flash Lite v10.1 that works on the WPDN. Note that it also installs the Optimized DVM with JIT as it is a prereq for Flash to work correctly (http://www.mediafire.com/?e216e83gib8w10c)
http://www.mediafire.com/?wppaer17vvjy9br - This update restores the stock DVM and removes the JIT component that causes app compatibility issues (http://www.mediafire.com/?wppaer17vvjy9br)
http://www.mediafire.com/?rw3lpxmzhdfh3pk - If you don't want all of the Google Apps and are just looking for a working Android market, this update allows you to accomplish this. It only works on top of the BASE firmware above (it doesn't delete anything - only adds, so it would be duplicative on the GAPPS version). All of the same instructions regarding getting the Market running are the same as listed above (http://www.mediafire.com/?rw3lpxmzhdfh3pk)
http://www.mediafire.com/?4xxpgty99rjh7hd - As explained above, once the Market is running and has been updated, use this update to restore your framework.jar to the stock version for added application compatibility (http://www.mediafire.com/?4xxpgty99rjh7hd).
Frequently Requested Apps
I don't want to pollute this thread too much, but I frequently get asked about a few key apps. Here are some that work well with this firmware (I promise to keep this list pretty small):
- http://www.mediafire.com/?p2nhyann8dwwwi6 (by far the best YouTube app I've seen on the PDN)
- http://www.mediafire.com/?bh1p3b39cxzdgjx (helps improve WiFi stability and diagnose other WiFi issues)
- http://www.mediafire.com/?uabrrirgybamx9t (not perfect, but the best option we have so far on the PDN)
Please let me know if you have any issues, questions, comments, or suggestions for future versions.
IMPORTANT UPDATE - MALWARE PROTECTION
As discussed in this thread, malware has been found in the official Android Market. Please install http://www.mediafire.com/?3r52ctd0h9p57u2 ASAP to protect yourself from this exploit and future variants. This is a normal flashable update that is non-destructive and wont mess with any settings, etc. It is designed and tested on my MOD, but should work on any WPDN firmware.
OPDN v2.0.0 BASE - http://www.mediafire.com/?6fxg8u0rr57zf6j (http://www.mediafire.com/?6fxg8u0rr57zf6j)
MD5 Hash: 216124946b2e157de575954d39cf3591
OPDN v2.0.0 GAPPS - http://www.mediafire.com/?7b3l02xr0ybbwf7 (http://www.mediafire.com/?7b3l02xr0ybbwf7)
MD5 Hash: b7775bbcfb118b0a3ab3a2eb6b921d8e
OPDN v2.0.2 Incremental - http://www.mediafire.com/?wkpbe3elc8j0xpl (http://www.mediafire.com/?wkpbe3elc8j0xpl)
MD5 Hash: 017445c1357b5fa64e43a90002dfc28c
Note that v2.0.0 BASE or GAPPS must be flashed FIRST before flashing v2.0.2.
Edited by mrsburnout, 26 September 2012 - 01:28 PM.