Android Tablets Forum banner

Herotab Mid816 - Music capabilities

8K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  adrenalynn 
#1 ·
I have tried to find the answers but can not. I want to use the headphone jack as a out to my aux input on my stereo.
The music on Pandora is a whisper, the music through any "radio" station sounds mono, no bass, and somewhat quiet.
I am trying to use the Sirius app, but need Adobe Air. I can't find that in the 2.2 market.
I am thrilled with everything else, but would love some guidance on improving the music output and obtaining Adobe Air.
Thank you so much!

#2 ·
[quote author=shades link=topic=16700.msg138225#msg138225 date=1298034662]
I have tried to find the answers but can not. I want to use the headphone jack as a out to my aux input on my stereo.
The music on Pandora is a whisper, the music through any "radio" station sounds mono, no bass, and somewhat quiet.
I am trying to use the Sirius app, but need Adobe Air. I can't find that in the 2.2 market.
I am thrilled with everything else, but would love some guidance on improving the music output and obtaining Adobe Air.
Thank you so much!
[/quote]

1) Have you upped the volume on your device while music is playing?
- Or download the Audio Widget and make sure to up the volumes there
2) Adobe Air should be out on the market... have you followed the steps to enable the "Full Market"
- You could also search google for the .APK file and manually install it

If you can't find it, let me know and I will see if I can post it late tonight.

Tasselhof

#4 ·
Hi, the Audio Manager is very helpful, thank you. But the music still sounds mono. I have Power Amp, but it doesn't appear that anything goes through
that app. That may help, but i have yet to be able to test it.
I wonder if a different headphone jack would help? Or is that just crazy?
As for the Adobe Air app, if enabling Full Market is the only way, then I will have to do that.
I'm a little nervous seeing others lack of success, but I know I can do it.
I just wish the music came out in stereo.
Thank you so much for the assistance!

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
[quote author=shades link=topic=16700.msg138324#msg138324 date=1298050622]
Hi, the Audio Manager is very helpful, thank you. But the music still sounds mono. I have Power Amp, but it doesn't appear that anything goes through
that app. That may help, but i have yet to be able to test it.
I wonder if a different headphone jack would help? Or is that just crazy?
As for the Adobe Air app, if enabling Full Market is the only way, then I will have to do that.
I'm a little nervous seeing others lack of success, but I know I can do it.
I just wish the music came out in stereo.
Thank you so much for the assistance!
[/quote]

The sound may very well be Mono due to the fact that the speaker is Mono also...
I have haven't performed any tests though...
Easiest way would be to make a Left Only audio file and see if it plays out of the left or both on the device.

Tasselhof

#8 ·
I would imagine it is line level. Its really just a bose clock unit. My Zune and Phone both play fine through it.
The headphone enhancer is definitely a good suggestion. Thank you.
Now, to just get that Adobe Air app so Sirius will work. I'll still take any suggestions on that.
Thank you, Tim

#9 ·
[quote author=shades link=topic=16700.msg138371#msg138371 date=1298058223]
I would imagine it is line level. Its really just a bose clock unit. My Zune and Phone both play fine through it.
The headphone enhancer is definitely a good suggestion. Thank you.
Now, to just get that Adobe Air app so Sirius will work. I'll still take any suggestions on that.
Thank you, Tim
[/quote]

Have you tried browsing to the adobe website?
I believe you can download it directly there: http://get.adobe.com/air/
- browse there on your tablet.

Tasselhof

#10 ·
I'm afraid that didn't work. It asked my operating system - I said Windows because I am using wifi through windows.
I got an error message "unable to download . .. . . . " with it listing the url.
it seems I will have to enable "full market".

If anyone else comes up with a solution, please let me know. And thank you to those that have helped. It means a lot!

#11 ·
[quote author=shades link=topic=16700.msg138407#msg138407 date=1298062853]
I'm afraid that didn't work. It asked my operating system - I said Windows because I am using wifi through windows.
I got an error message "unable to download . .. . . . " with it listing the url.

If anyone else comes up with a solution, please let me know. And thank you to those that have helped. It means a lot!

[/quote]

I will post it when I get home in about a half hour...
When prompted for OS you should put Android as that is the version you want.
Also make sure you browse to the site using your tablet and also that the tablet is registering as Android and not Desktop...

Tasselhof

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, I ran a test with my Sennheiser HD600 Reference Headphones. First time I'd had headphones plugged into my tablet!

Firmware 0106

Stereo separation was good.

I built the following test file: http://www.mid816.com/filedrop/audio/stereo-test-tone.mp3

It has a 1kHz signal on the left for five seconds, then 10kHz signal on the right for five seconds. Then combined 1kHz left, 10kHz right simultaneous for 5 seconds. It's a 256kbit/sec MP3, 44.1kHz sample, mainconcept coder, 0dB [Unity].

The tablet was able to drive the big Senn's at a comfortable (for me) listening level without a headphone amp. That's actually pretty tough.

I took some reference audio at 384kbit/sec mp3 and dropped it on there. With both the built in music player and rockplayer, it was pretty bad to my "Golden Ear".

Bass was hollow, punchy, and distorted.
Treble was tinny and distorted.
Midrange was scarcely acceptable.

I certainly wouldn't use it to drive a stereo when a Sansa Clip sounds quite full (with a little too much punch on the bass, as people seem to like these days) and clean, and can frequently be sourced for ~$15.

Keep the audio level down and gently turn it up if you're using my test tones on an amp! Pure tones like that can burn through even quality speakers FAST if over-driven! And cause hearing damage immediately.

(Tones were generated with a BK Precision 4040A Sweep Function Generator and mastered with an Ewitz DAC/Burr-Brown (Texas Instruments) pcm1730 24-bit 192khz stereo dac engine w/8x Oversample)

#13 ·
[quote author=shades link=topic=16700.msg138407#msg138407 date=1298062853]

[/quote]

Here you go Shades.
http://mid816.com/filedrop/apk/com.adobe.air.apk

Tasselhof

#14 ·
[quote name='MrTasselhof' timestamp='1298042431' post='135411']
1) Have you upped the volume on your device while music is playing?
- Or download the Audio Widget and make sure to up the volumes there

Here is my reply...

Herotab MID816 Freyo 2.2 build...purchased 2.22.11

"Personlly...MID816...at first...headphones seemed flat and lack of brillance.
I attempted to reinsert jack...same issue. Then I sought to see if it was a contact issue with the plug?
I twisted it a tad...pulled out a tad and noticed the headphones went stereo and became louder. Huummm?
I mean it is a new unit...just out of the box.
The jack seemed to only sound good
% pushed in. Hummm?

So I reinserted the jack...only this time...firmly pushed in the last 20%. The jack clicked in 100%.
The stero balanced with good volume. Adjusted EQ and it helped quiet a bit.

Apparently, the black rubber COVER of the unit hindered the jack from seating properly.

Problem resolved.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wanted to let everyone know that poweramp is now working with our tab. You have to go to settings and change the file to ext and whatever you named your music file. You will onpy be able to play folders but still by far the best I've found for the 816 and the ext/ file format. To me audio is much better and has a good working equalizer and has pre amp to increase volume a little a bit.

#17 ·
Can you clarify what you mean by "change the file to ext and whatever you named your music file"? I love the poweramp app but I can't get it to locate all of my music. I came in late on this discussion and probably missed the key points. Would you mind filling me in?

Bob Harris (harrisb@cfl.rr.com)

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got audiomanager pro and maxed all the volume controls and was surprised by how well that single 1-watt speaker does at chirping out tunes, though audio for movies is often very soft and hard to hear! But if there was ONE casemod I could get behind it would be to modify the Mid to handle two 1-watt speakers. Does anyone have the specs on the Realtek chip they use? Any confirmation whether or not it's actually stereo capable? I've taken mine apart and done some examination (initially to clean the inside window as it had 'brown' dust stuck to the lcd panel X() and the speaker uses a pretty standard power/input connector. All things being equal, if the Realtek chip itself could handle stereo it might be able to power two speakers from there with an additional load on the battery, though another watt wouldn't make a major difference. I suppose another alternative would be to try a higher-watt speaker so we could get better volume and clarity from it, and I'm pretty much open to either approach as there are some apps that give me grief trying to hear (movies mainly, though some games as well). I'm hoping merimobiles or some other site offers a casemod to at least update the speaker -- I'd pay 20 bucks or something reasonable for a louder, more robust audio output.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
The chipset does stereo, hence the reason we have stereo from the headphone jack.

Someone adventurous could solder another speaker to one side of the headphone jack's pads and get stereo.

I'm not sure why you would. There'd be no stereo separation with speakers so close and down-pointing. And you'd be dividing the amp's total output across two speakers instead of one, so there'd be no increase in volume.

Putting a little lower impedance speaker in would increase the volume at the risk of over-warming the amp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.