#1 smnc

smnc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:53 PM

Hi everybody.
I've created my own ROM for the Cruz Reader. I find it useful and I hope some of you do two.
First I tried PandaBomb's modified Macho ROM, but it was too much for my uses. Then I tried jgm's "Improved Vanilla ROM", but I missed the CPU unlock and it still had a lot of extras I wasn't using.

You see, my Cruz Reader is primarily an e-reader, with some light movie watching and music listening,
That's pretty much it.
My Cruz Reader is hardly ever online, I don't use it for e-mail or calender, so I thought maybe making my own ROM would be the best route.
I started with jgm's "Improved Vanilla ROM", then removed all the apps I didn't want. I added a in Aldiko 2.0 and SetCPU.
Then I pulled the u-boot.bin from the Macho ROM to enable CPU unlocking.
That's pretty much it right now. It's still a work in progress, so please feel free to give me feedback.

Lite ROM 1.0
-Improved Vanilla ROM 1.1 benefits (JIT, Libraries, Rooted, BusyBox, etc.)
-CPU Unlocked (up to 800Mhz)
-Aldiko 2.0
-Borders
-Astro
-Dr.Eye
-OfficeSuite
-CalcBuddy
-SetCPU

Tested an working on my R101
As usual, flashing to the Stock ROM before installing this Custom ROM is highly Recommended.
Obviously: although this ROM works for me YMMV, so use at your own Risk. Neither I nor anyone I give credit to are liable in any way to any consequences of you using this software.

I'm testing a few other things so I should have an update soon.

Thanks!

Download Lite ROM 1.0
http://www.mediafire.com/?57nk6o955eslcsc

Credits:
Improved Vanilla ROM by jgm -> http://slatedroid.co...p?topic=16053.0
Macho Cruz ROM by androapps.com -> http://slatedroid.co...hp?topic=8788.0

#2 sdnative

sdnative

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:12 AM

Cool  8)  Thanks for the ROM Will try it on my wife's Cruz.

#3 moonbase

moonbase

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

Sounds like a cool collaboration of the two roms. I'll give it a go this evening when I get home. Kind of off topic but is there anyway you could post general directions on how you created your custom rom. I've tried to create my own blended rom once before and when I attempted to load it I just get the andy and the exclamation mark. Thanks in advance.

#4 OldNoob

OldNoob

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

There's a vanilla 2.0????  thought the last one was 1.1

#5 smnc

smnc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

There's a vanilla 2.0????  thought the last one was 1.1

:-[
D'Oh,
You are absolutely correct.
It is Vanilla 1.1

What I meant was the second release of Vanilla. I'll make the correction immediately 

#6 smnc

smnc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Sounds like a cool collaboration of the two roms. I'll give it a go this evening when I get home. Kind of off topic but is there anyway you could post general directions on how you created your custom rom. I've tried to create my own blended rom once before and when I attempted to load it I just get the andy and the exclamation mark. Thanks in advance.

Thanks. It was fairly easy, but I didn't do a lot in the way of modification.
I'll post details in another thread later.

#7 OldNoob

OldNoob

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:39 AM

This is a nice looking ROM ,, got my EYE on it,, but won't be the first to try it  ;)
Good collection of useful apps along with 1.1

#8 OldNoob

OldNoob

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:50 PM

Think i will add SketchBook Mobile by Autodesk Inc. to that ROM

#9 class

class

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

This is a nice looking ROM ,, got my EYE on it,, but won't be the first to try it  ;)
Good collection of useful apps along with 1.1

You won't be the first.  ;D  Its a good ROM, and because it is lite it allows easy customization.  Booted up fine for me.

#10 class

class

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:34 PM

You caught my interest. 

But it is described as needing
*Requires a multi-touch device running Android 2.1 or above. Recommended devices include: 1GHz processor, 512mb RAM

#11 OldNoob

OldNoob

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:40 AM

You caught my interest. 

But it is described as needing
*Requires a multi-touch device running Android 2.1 or above. Recommended devices include: 1GHz processor, 512mb RAM

Aw! man i missed that! dang,, such a wonderful app!

#12 OldNoob

OldNoob

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

Hey SmNC . Sorry if i missed this somewhere,, but , what apps did you remove from vanilla 1.1?
It stills has a web browser correct?

#13 OldNoob

OldNoob

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:26 AM

Well, did the Lite ROM. everything works except,,, WiFi non working and battery won't charge

#14 smnc

smnc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

Well, did the Lite ROM. everything works except,,, WiFi non working and battery won't charge

Weird! I assume you followed all the standard "flashing-back-to-stock" tips first?

Anyone else try and have this problem?

#15 OldNoob

OldNoob

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

Weird! I assume you followed all the standard "flashing-back-to-stock" tips first?

Anyone else try and have this problem?

Hey everything is OK now.. turns out the battery not charging issue was just a matter of my own stupidity,, the charge light doesn't display while reader is on. DUH! ok i deserve a kick in the but for that one.
And the Wifi does indeed work,, it simply takes a bit longer now to acquire the signal, go figure?

Everything is working swimmingly , it is much faster than OEm ROM.
I installed 1mobile market,, and that is a great market!

Great ROM SMNC!

#16 smnc

smnc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:05 AM

Hey everything is OK now.. turns out the battery not charging issue was just a matter of my own stupidity,, the charge light doesn't display while reader is on. DUH! ok i deserve a kick in the but for that one.
And the Wifi does indeed work,, it simply takes a bit longer now to acquire the signal, go figure?

Everything is working swimmingly , it is much faster than OEm ROM.
I installed 1mobile market,, and that is a great market!

Great ROM SMNC!

Glad to hear it!
And Glad you like it!
Like I said, my Cruz is just an eReader, so it works for me.
I have an Archos 5 as my Android "toy"

#17 jwr7

jwr7

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:41 PM

Hi everybody.
I've created my own ROM for the Cruz Reader. I find it useful and I hope some of you do two.
First I tried PandaBomb's modified Macho ROM, but it was too much for my uses. Then I tried jgm's "Improved Vanilla ROM", but I missed the CPU unlock and it still had a lot of extras I wasn't using.

You see, my Cruz Reader is primarily an e-reader, with some light movie watching and music listening,
That's pretty much it.
My Cruz Reader is hardly ever online, I don't use it for e-mail or calender, so I thought maybe making my own ROM would be the best route.
I started with jgm's "Improved Vanilla ROM", then removed all the apps I didn't want. I added a in Aldiko 2.0 and SetCPU.
Then I pulled the u-boot.bin from the Macho ROM to enable CPU unlocking.
That's pretty much it right now. It's still a work in progress, so please feel free to give me feedback.

Lite ROM 1.0
-Improved Vanilla ROM 1.1 benefits (JIT, Libraries, Rooted, BusyBox, etc.)
-CPU Unlocked (up to 800Mhz)
-Aldiko 2.0
-Borders
-Astro
-Dr.Eye
-OfficeSuite
-CalcBuddy
-SetCPU

Tested an working on my R101
As usual, flashing to the Stock ROM before installing this Custom ROM is highly Recommended.
Obviously: although this ROM works for me YMMV, so use at your own Risk. Neither I nor anyone I give credit to are liable in any way to any consequences of you using this software.

I'm testing a few other things so I should have an update soon.

Thanks!

Download Lite ROM 1.0
http://www.mediafire.com/?57nk6o955eslcsc

Credits:
Improved Vanilla ROM by jgm -> http://slatedroid.co...p?topic=16053.0
Macho Cruz ROM by androapps.com -> http://slatedroid.co...hp?topic=8788.0

I like your ROM because I can access Borders with it. I was just wondering if anyone knows how to add Google Apps to it?

#18 smnc

smnc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:36 AM

I like your ROM because I can access Borders with it. I was just wondering if anyone knows how to add Google Apps to it?

I'm not sure, but I think putting google on the reader might be what's killing borders.
Either way, it's contrary to the spirit of the ROM, so I won't be doing it, but anyone else is free to try as long as they pass the credit back to jgm for making the Improved Vanilla ROM in the first place.

#19 jwr7

jwr7

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

I'm not sure, but I think putting google on the reader might be what's killing borders.
Either way, it's contrary to the spirit of the ROM, so I won't be doing it, but anyone else is free to try as long as they pass the credit back to jgm for making the Improved Vanilla ROM in the first place.

Thanks for your reply.
Since I'd rather have google apps than Borders, I will stick with what I now have. Everything else seems to work OK. I have Kindle, Nook, FBReader and others to get by without Borders.

#20 Martian

Martian

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hi all,

Is there a problem with setcpu being in conflict with a supposedly already installed VM CPU speed controller?

What is Dr. Eye?

Thank you!

Edited by Martian, 01 March 2011 - 06:11 PM.