Android Tablets Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WPDN:Pandigital FW upgrader now creates backup

26K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  SebaGuSi 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just took my wife's WPDN that had never had any OP software put on it and did the update using the Pandigital process. Ran their updater and then downloaded the software shown for that model (it placed the software on the external SDCard) and then I followed their instructions on disconnecting, flashing new software (used 1/27) and rebooting; then reconnected USB to the PC. After doing this you then and only then hit the OK on the New software install dialog and it starts saving all the user data/files currently on your internal and external SDCards. It saves this info/data to a newly created Pandigital backup folder on your PC under My Documents. This took a long time and when finally done started reinstalled the user data (except the internal SDCard was not large enough to hold all the data in that we had several video files on her WPDN external 8gb SDCard). When all was completed it rebooted and we had most of our data all setup to start reading books etc. Has this been explained anywhere on these forums yet. It needs to be looked into as a way to save testers lots of time reinstalling all there data after a reflash of software. This does not happen if you do not follow the PD instructions and the complete data recovery never happens. Comments??

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Fred

I am sorry I missed this for a whole week. Running the Pandigital upgrader now (v6.0.0.0).

The PD upgrader does indeed create a backup folder in mydocuments.

Nice Find!

edit: Restored all my books and media. Did not save any passwords or user installed apks.
Found this post buried in jackbox's thread. Have to agree with Zero7 definitely +1

#9 ·
I have yet to be able to upgrade my Novel using the update program. Using latest (V6.0.0.0)
Get msg saying 'error while reading Pandigital Novel info'. Have been able to update by loading
file on Novel and powering on while holding vol. button. Any ideas why update pgm won't work?

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Another note to add.

When running the PD upgrader application, before you disconnect and power down your WPDN to flash, check the contents of the internal microSD / external SD card(s).

Since the new upgrader creates a backup, old FW files may be restored along with the new and could result in an exclamation Andy. Be sure to delete any older FW files backed up and leave only the current downloaded one on. Then proceed with your flash.

#5 ·
[quote author=mrsburnout link=topic=16571.msg137107#msg137107 date=1297814725]
Another note to add.

When running the PD upgrader application, before you disconnect and power down your WPDN to flash, check the contents of the internal microSD / external SD card(s).

Since the new upgrader creates a backup, old FW files may be restored along with the new and could result in an exclamation Andy. Be sure to delete any older FW files backed up and leave only the current downloaded one on. Then proceed with your flash.
[/quote]

I think this is what happened to me..very important advice. I wish I had seen this before I screwed up mine. Good to know for future reference..

#6 ·
[quote author=mumbaiyya link=topic=16571.msg137449#msg137449 date=1297881106]
I think this is what happened to me..very important advice. I wish I had seen this before I screwed up mine. Good to know for future reference..
[/quote]

Thanks. Linked back to this post in the wiki now too ;)

Here: Pandigital_Novel_Hacking

Here: Understanding the 2011 OP Firmwares

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
You can try it. Remember it is a PC application that you use to upgrade your WPDN.
However, the PD Upgrader application may not recognize your WPDN with the S20 FW on it.
If you have problems. I Found this in the PDN Wiki Here

To remove the Open Patform "Kit" and go back to stock S10 11/19 FW which will allow the PD upgrader to recognize your WPDN again. Look Here

#21 ·
I have followed the instructions in trying to upgrade my Pandigital 7" White Novel but only about 40% went through.
I tried to erase then reload it and hit the reset button but nothing happened. I also tried to transfer from the old
sd card and to add a .Net Framwork program but again nothing happened. I have replaced a 1 gig sd card with an 8
gig card. Would you be kind enough to advise me what to do. Thank you in advance.

#22 ·
Hello michaelbarry,

Make / Model / FW revision are important. How can you [or anyone else reading] expect a legitimate helpful reply without device details?

Pandigital's upgrader is a joke that has messed up many devices and we do NOT recommend anyone use it.
PD is no longer in business and they pulled all the stock fw mirrors months ago.

Please read the forum announcement by clicking this link ---> Announcement: ATTN: Pandigital Novel/Tablet Users

Good luck fixing your novel... and welcome to SLD.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've the same model, and only thing i want is to be able to download epub files from internet and read them (it´s for my wife, actually)

What's the last OEM version of the firmware for this ebook reader?

Thanks in advance!

Moderator Edit: Locking topic.

Outdated/Useless : http://www.slatedroid.com/forum-58/announcement-17-warning-do-not-use-pandigitals-website/

@SebaGuSi - answered here: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/16343-new-fw-on-support-mirror-site-ski20-prefix-confirmed-kindle-version/page-3#entry1244354

//edit

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.