Photo

Flashing or rooting my (generic) RK2818 tablet (TP-07D8)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 melvie

melvie

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

Hi guys
I have got this tablet with a order at a bussiness company here in the Netherlands, it was for free if you order for an xxx amount.
It has got Android on it and i am a real android freak, so i want to have root access or maybe better a custom kernel and rom for this tablet!
The tablet is slow atm and having no root access is no fun  :- .I think the kernel is really outdated.

I am already familiar with rooting and custom ROM via the XDA-Dev forum. (HTC Hero, Desire and my latest phone Desire HD) all have been rooted and have custom ROMS/kernels on them, bit overclocked to.
So course i cannot let my tablet sit without root access, and cannot even scroll without lag on website's and menu drawer.

It is this tablet:
http://www.flickr.co...57626041366788/

I already have the following specs sorted out via device analyzer:
http://androidfragme...carrier/Unknown

The brand is unknown but the model is TP-07D8.
Also found this:
http://translate.goo...google.nl&twu=1

More Details: 7-inch TFT LCD, Touch screen, resistive, 800x600 pixels, OS Android, 256 MB DDR mem, 2 GB Flash Drive, Micro SD Slot, Wifi 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth, 2 Mega pixel camera, Microfoon & speaker, Voice recording, USB 2.0 port, HDMI port, Audio & Video playback, Foto viewer, Adapter 12 V. Meas: 190,5 x 118,5 x 14,7 mm. CPU 600 Mhz.

This CPU:
ARM926EJ-S rev 5 (v5l)

Build number:
V0.18.ECLAIR.eng.root.20110110.181818 (temp rooted)

It has got the following buttons: on the side Volume(not +-) and Back button in one. A power button.At the front a home button (with a square on it) and on the bottom a reset button.
I has these connections: HDMI, DC, 1x Micro-USB, headphone. Also a mic and sd card slot on the bottom edge.
Pics:

You can checkout my flickr page for more pics http://www.flickr.co...s/59500169@N06/

I already have temp rooted (with z4root done, Universal androot doesn't work) it but it doesn't want to perm root, so after reboot the root access is gone.
When i access recovery via ROM manager (works because of temproot) i get in the stock recovery but am unable to select an option, no matter which button i press.
Maybe because of this error: E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command (fix/workaround for this) ?
I get the options in the recovery:
Reboot system now
Factory reset
System recover
Update from SDCARD
Update from uDisk

So cannot select anything even "Reboot now" doesn't respond. Have to press the reset button at the bottom to reboot normal.
Recovery version is: recovery v1.3.28

So that is not an option or usefull at the moment, but i have got RKtools to work with my tablet.
It is recognized when i power off with the cable in the Micro-USB port and keeping the back button pressed. So i should be able to flash a .IMG . The problem is that i dont know whick one and dont want to flash something and maybe brick my device. I have no backup of the tablets files so there is no way back when trying anything!

So my questions are:
Can i just flash any RK2818 based rom? No matter which boot?
What to do with the boot files?
The recovery is not needed i think because i have got RKtools working (not really tested a flash but i have a green square so must work  ???)
To which device i can compare (maybe a populair brand/type)
Which ROMs to use?

Hope you people can help me out here (done some research the last few days but i still feel like a real tablet n00b)!!
Sorry for the long story but i want to be clear at the start, so everbody can see that i already did research.
Many thanks!

If somebody's wants more info or pics i will arrange it! Also wanting to donate if it helps  8)

Greetings from the Netherlands  :)

#2 Li0nHeart

Li0nHeart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

No, don't just flash any image !

If you're tablet really is 800x600 it's somewhat different from the ones we have.. most of use have 800x480.

To get root access, you just need to add a couple of files. /system is read-only so you can't do it on the device. You'll have to extract your update.img and system.img and update those and then reflash your device.

See this thread  : http://www.slatedroi...p?topic=16196.0

And don't expect miracles speedwise.. this is about it.

#3 melvie

melvie

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

No, don't just flash any image !

If you're tablet really is 800x600 it's somewhat different from the ones we have.. most of use have 800x480.

To get root access, you just need to add a couple of files. /system is read-only so you can't do it on the device. You'll have to extract your update.img and system.img and update those and then reflash your device.

See this thread  : http://www.slatedroi...p?topic=16196.0

And don't expect miracles speedwise.. this is about it.

Thank you for your quick reply! I am trying atm getting the images from my device, but it looks like adb is not functioning or not enabled in the system! When i try to push rkdump to the /data/ it hangs at adb server is out of date. killing .

How can i check my real resolution?

#4 Li0nHeart

Li0nHeart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

I think I found an app by searching for Resolution in the Market...

First try adb shell to see if you get a prompt. I've never had outdated before.. not sure what that could mean.
You might need to enable usb debugging somewhere in the settings menu.

#5 xaueious

xaueious

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:18 PM

Oh boy another one...

#6 melvie

melvie

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

Oh boy another one...

Did i place this question in the wrong thread? What is your point?

Anyway @li0nHeart adb shell works my comp what recognizing it as a HTC device (from my phones) now i installed the adb composite ADB interface. So shell works but still cannot push the rkdump it keeps hanging in that process. "> adb push rkdump /data/" without any error or something

Oh and yes xaueious, if you find this thread unnecessary please report to the mods and let them make the decision. If i am not welcome here please feel free to say. It is not that i didn't do my best to make a good start or something. Your post is bothering me very much. Solved, my fault.

#7 xaueious

xaueious

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

No, I meant that this is about the 15th RK2818 variant, and it's getting to be a headache to keep track of all of them. See http://androtab.info/rockchip/products for most of them. I didn't mean anything against what you posted. Considering that RK2818 is a pretty bad chip, I'm hating. Nothing against what you posted. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Anyways, what you need to do is to repack update.img

Use the ArchosFans Wiki guide. If this subforum had moderators, this information should have been stickied by now: http://wiki.archosfa...te_a_custom_rom

Using my boot.img might give you system writes, and might be all you need to add to your firmware to do what you want. Not guaranteed that it will work on your device though. Just flash back if it wont boot:
http://www.multiupload.com/OJKAF8YLXF

Use AFPTool to unpack, swap in my boot.img, and repack with AFPTool. Going into system.img repacking is a little more complicated...

#8 melvie

melvie

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

No, I meant that this is about the 15th RK2818 variant, and it's getting to be a headache to keep track of all of them. See http://androtab.info/rockchip/products for most of them. I didn't mean anything against what you posted. Considering that RK2818 is a pretty bad chip, I'm hating. Nothing against what you posted. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Anyways, what you need to do is to repack update.img

Use the ArchosFans Wiki guide. If this subforum had moderators, this information should have been stickied by now: http://wiki.archosfa...te_a_custom_rom

Using my boot.img might give you system writes, and might be all you need to add to your firmware to do what you want. Not guaranteed that it will work on your device though. Just flash back if it wont boot:
http://www.multiupload.com/OJKAF8YLXF

Use AFPTool to unpack, swap in my boot.img, and repack with AFPTool. Going into system.img repacking is a little more complicated...

Ok! Clear :) thanks! Have several things working atm. I added su to system/app and busybox and su to bin repacjed and flashed, freshly installed i have now te superuser app but still no root access! Wil try your boot.img! Thanks for that to.

#9 xaueious

xaueious

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

chmod su to 6755

#10 melvie

melvie

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

chmod su to 6755

Thanks xaueious!

Ok have been trying the last days, i have all the files from the tablet and tried to flash some other roms for good luck. But none of them that are around here are working. Also rooting my device fails because the /system/app is read only! Tried r/w remount commands etc but no luck. Did all the tricks from chown root.root to chmodding different files.

Anyone an idea how to port the resistive Froyo that is around here to my device? Is it hard to do?

I have uploaded my images to dropbox as a .rar file, maybe somebody wants to look at it?
Here is the file: http://bit.ly/dR6nYp

So still stuck at only temp root with Z4root and a laggy system.

Of course advise for manual rooting is welcome.

Money!!
If somebody is able to port a good working 2.2 rom, or a custom (opt. maybe with o/c) 2.1 kernel+rom  to my device i am willing to offer bounty money, and not a small amount like only 5 euro's or something :) depending on what you can do.  PM if interested!!

(So desperate  :'( )

#11 flushback666

flushback666

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hi Melvie,

as you flashed some other roms, did you try to change kernel.img, bootloader with the images dumped from your device or did you just flash the untouched roms ?

You don't have write access to /systen because its cramfs filesystem(read only). cramfs isn't writeable on the device. You only can modify files by editing the system.img image on your pc.

#12 melvie

melvie

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

Hi Melvie,

as you flashed some other roms, did you try to change kernel.img, bootloader with the images dumped from your device or did you just flash the untouched roms ?

You don't have write access to /systen because its cramfs filesystem(read only). cramfs isn't writeable on the device. You only can modify files by editing the system.img image on your pc.

Thank you for the reply!
Yes tried that! Booted partially but the first screen (with the leaves) it didn't fit the screen and then came to the shiny android logo and then came into a boot loop. So didn't boot :).
But thank you for thinking with me!

I will play around with the cramfs but am not sure were to put the root commands..

#13 kapo0005

kapo0005

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:03 PM

My rk2818 does not even start when i push the power button it blinks then goes off. If I hold the power button then I can see the green light on but then nothing comes on. Any idea why this is happening. When Plug in the power cord, I see the solid green light but nothing comes up on the screen but when I take the power cord out light goes out then when I push the power button the light comes on then goes off when take my finger off of it. I have the button pushed then light is still on then I take finger off no power light. All this time there is nothing on the screen. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Please Help!!!

#14 Theape1974

Theape1974

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hi Melvie,

Did you come any closer to a solution?

I have the exact same model as you do. (Living in Belgium)

I wanted to find some ways to tweak it as well.

I tried to temp root with Z4Root but now I have turned the tablet unusable.
I have constant FC's on android.process.acore. Cannot do anything but click OK. So cannot go to settings to factory reset.

I know that I have to use a button combination to get to recovery but I can't find it anywhere.

Do you have an Help online shortcut in the application drawer? That points to a website with the button combination.
I would be pleased if you can give me the URL.

Thanks for being the first to post any news around this tablet. :)

D

P.S. I have contacted the distributor for the tablet in Benelux. But it seems they have very little info, and no support.
They've sold around 1500 units so more people will join the club soon.

#15 melvie

melvie

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

Hi Melvie,

Did you come any closer to a solution?

I have the exact same model as you do. (Living in Belgium)

I wanted to find some ways to tweak it as well.

I tried to temp root with Z4Root but now I have turned the tablet unusable.
I have constant FC's on android.process.acore. Cannot do anything but click OK. So cannot go to settings to factory reset.

I know that I have to use a button combination to get to recovery but I can't find it anywhere.

Do you have an Help online shortcut in the application drawer? That points to a website with the button combination.
I would be pleased if you can give me the URL.

Thanks for being the first to post any news around this tablet. :)

D

P.S. I have contacted the distributor for the tablet in Benelux. But it seems they have very little info, and no support.
They've sold around 1500 units so more people will join the club soon.

Hi Theape1974 please PM me your e-mail!

#16 tumtum87

tumtum87

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:02 AM

Hi Melvie,

I also live in the Netherlands and I got the same tablet. I've also tried all the steps to root my device, but it still won't work. Could you PM me with your progress, i'm very interested. I would love to have a custom android 2.2 on my tablet.

Many Thanks,

Tim

#17 Theape1974

Theape1974

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

Hi Melvie,

I tried to PM you but I can't. Probably because I don't have enough posts yet?

In the meantime I was able to recover my tablet by opening the settings screen via adb. And factory reset.

But a little while after, I started to get the same FC's. Looks like Z4root has a bad side effect on this tablet...

Apart from that, you guys have to admit it's a pretty useless device if you're not a tech.
- I have to toggle my WiFi on a regular base to get connection
- Every now and then I get some stripes on the screen and then it reboots its self
- The touchscreen is poor
- It's slow

I hoped to be able to perm root to remove all bloatware or flash a 2.2 to be able to get a more stable tablet.

D

#18 RaMMaS

RaMMaS

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

Hello, sorry i dont know if this post goes here (sorry my english).

I was flashing my tablet, its a:

Tablet Admiral yf-1002 7" with android 2.1

HDMI
Webcam
Mini USB
Mic
7"

800 x 840 px

the device is a rk28bard
an the build are:
256 DDR 2
platform: rk2808sk
build released 2.1-update1-2.0.2
Procesor: ARM926EJ-s rev 5 (v5l)
600 mhz + 60 hz (DSP)
4 gb memory
Wi/fi 802.11b/g
I think i flash bad or the rom wasn't the apropiate , because when finish flash. the screen goes black. When i power on, the 3 buttons leds are red (like always).. but the screen doesnt work. its black... its any way to flash with another rom for it.? I try with some roms but nothing happends. The usb recognize it, bue always the screen black,... Sorry!! But im worry. Thanks...

THis is the image.

Attached Files

#19 mov

mov

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:38 AM

Hello, sorry i dont know if this post goes here (sorry my english).

I was flashing my tablet, its a:

Tablet Admiral yf-1002 7" with android 2.1

HDMI
Webcam
Mini USB
Mic
7"

800 x 840 px

the device is a rk28bard
an the build are:
256 DDR 2
platform: rk2808sk
build released 2.1-update1-2.0.2
Procesor: ARM926EJ-s rev 5 (v5l)
600 mhz + 60 hz (DSP)
4 gb memory
Wi/fi 802.11b/g
I think i flash bad or the rom wasn't the apropiate , because when finish flash. the screen goes black. When i power on, the 3 buttons leds are red (like always).. but the screen doesnt work. its black... its any way to flash with another rom for it.? I try with some roms but nothing happends. The usb recognize it, bue always the screen black,... Sorry!! But im worry. Thanks...

THis is the image.

hi guys,
Try to find the original ROM if you don't have a backup . Do not flash random ROM's.
Consider yourself lucky as long as the USB recognize it..

I am a newbie my self and I had a bad experience with this tablet .
I did not backup it before flashing , I flashed like 8 different ROM's and every time I reboot the screen went white (kind of..)
during the 9'nth flashing (with RKAndroidBatchUpgrade )I got a error when it tried to reset it and stopped.. sine than I cant turn it on and worse the USB wont
recognize the device at all..
any thoughts on this?

If anyone had a similar experience or can help me please

I really wanna know if there any thing I can do to "revive" it or trash it , I bought it just one week ago..

thanks

#20 melvie

melvie

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Hi Mov,
You can try to hardreset the flashmemory by shortcutting certain pins (off coarse own risk) worked with me when I flashed a wrong ROM.

Good luck, I am a lot happier now with my Acer A500 tablet then with my rk2818 tablet :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users