Skype not working?????????

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 imagecolour

imagecolour

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

I think almost everyone is facing this problem of Skype.  My question is why is Skype is not working???????
Skype works on almost all android Phones but it closes on A816  :'( :'(
Please all of learned and Brilliant people out there do something to Make Skype work !!!!!!  :'( :'( :'(

#2 honasek

honasek

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:37 AM

I support this question, Im interested too  ???

#3 Sleve420

Sleve420

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

Skype is working as a text-only version (skype-light-beta).  There seems to be some problem with the M816's ability to properly use VOIP.  My current guess is that our device will need Gingerbread to get these programs (Skype, Fring, Tango, Y! Msgr) to function properly since it is optimized for VOIP/SIP. Fring has had the 'best' call results, even tho it's choppy and unusable.

I'm currently looking forward into French Oovoo & some others since we have full Market access, but I'm not expecting much.  Btw, Skype is only fully functional on Verizon right now (audio, text & video) but they recently purchased Qik and will be expanding their reach soon.

Sleve

EDIT: Here's the thread I created the first time I looked into this.

Http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14845.0

Sent from my Herotab MID816 using Tapatalk

#4 imagecolour

imagecolour

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

Thats good piece of info, anyways lets keep our fingers crossed and hope someone comes up with Gingerbread soon for A816.

#5 Dany0

Dany0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow... rainbow rolled! ^^

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

It's the resolution not gingerbread ffs.

#6 imagecolour

imagecolour

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

Thats good piece of info, anyways lets keep our fingers crossed and hope someone comes up with Gingerbread soon for A816.

Skype is working as a text-only version (skype-light-beta).  There seems to be some problem with the M816's ability to properly use VOIP.  My current guess is that our device will need Gingerbread to get these programs (Skype, Fring, Tango, Y! Msgr) to function properly since it is optimized for VOIP/SIP. Fring has had the 'best' call results, even tho it's choppy and unusable.

I'm currently looking forward into French Oovoo & some others since we have full Market access, but I'm not expecting much.  Btw, Skype is only fully functional on Verizon right now (audio, text & video) but they recently purchased Qik and will be expanding their reach soon.

Sleve

EDIT: Here's the thread I created the first time I looked into this.

Http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14845.0

The above Quote link is not working, please specify

#7 imagecolour

imagecolour

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

It's the resolution not gingerbread ffs.
[/quote]
I think Dany0 is very right, it is the resolution which is stopping skype from running on A816.
Dany0 can you specify what is the minimum resolution needed to run Skype, Can you be more specific.

#8 Sleve420

Sleve420

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:00 AM

www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14845.0  - Webcam Functionality

Skype is Not running video calling via VOIP on anything but Verizon at this time. I believe it's the 1st fully functional version for mobile devices, so regardless of resolution it would still f/c or at the least not function correctly. They have purchased Qik, which allows for video chat as well as live video broadcasting. It runs on the MID816 but does seem to have some problems linking with the website's settings for Facebook. Haven't tested the live broadcast with my Livestream account, but according to the app it was live and it did post the finished video to twitter as it was supposed to. Skype has purchased this company due to their great work with video connectivity and is hoping to release a fully functional Skype for android and other mobile devices.

If there Is a min. res. req. I'm not aware of what it is.

Sleve

#9 Dany0

Dany0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

I think Dany0 is very right, it is the resolution which is stopping skype from running on A816.
Dany0 can you specify what is the minimum resolution needed to run Skype, Can you be more specific.

Skype has been very strict on resolutions. I remember when it was released devices like htc wildfire had exactly the same problem. Then it was EVO4G due to the DPI. And then it was for a very very long time the Galaxy S.

Skype wants 800x480 and a dpi between 230-270. Anything lower has the same problem as mid816, anything higher doens't run at all immediate f/c.

#10 Sleve420

Sleve420

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

For anyone interested, upcoming android video chat:

http://www.slashgear...ear (SlashGear)

#11 imagecolour

imagecolour

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

Skype has been very strict on resolutions. I remember when it was released devices like htc wildfire had exactly the same problem. Then it was EVO4G due to the DPI. And then it was for a very very long time the Galaxy S.

Skype wants 800x480 and a dpi between 230-270. Anything lower has the same problem as mid816, anything higher doens't run at all immediate f/c.

Dany0 is there any option in A816 to change screen resolution,  or is there any app to change screen resolution.

#12 MrTasselhof

MrTasselhof

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

If that is the case... we can now easily test the DPI settings.
In regards to resolution... we have more than is required... so there really isn't a big reason why that wouldn't work.

Tasselhof

#13 imagecolour

imagecolour

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

If that is the case... we can now easily test the DPI settings.
In regards to resolution... we have more than is required... so there really isn't a big reason why that wouldn't work.

Tasselhof
[/quote]
Hope you do something Tasselhof about screen resolution and help people on A816 see the light for Skype  :) :) :)

#14 MrTasselhof

MrTasselhof

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:14 PM

Hope you do something Tasselhof about screen resolution and help people on A816 see the light for Skype  :) :) :)

I changed the DPI to 250 and even reinstalled Skype.
Still getting the same issue of login screen, but then after attempting to login... it disappears.

Tasselhof

#15 imagecolour

imagecolour

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:24 AM

[quote author=MrTasselhof link=topic=16476.msg137175#msg137175 date=1297829692]
[quote author=imagecolour link=topic=16476.msg137169#msg137169 date=1297828724]

I changed the DPI to 250 and even reinstalled Skype.
Still getting the same issue of login screen, but then after attempting to login... it disappears.

Tasselhof
[/quote]

I to tried it, but it goes off after entering username and password, i am trying to acess through Fringe , Trilian, Nimbuzz or others and will update soon

#16 Dany0

Dany0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

Tasselhof

No you don't get it, skype doesn't want you to run it on anything else then what they've tested.

#17 MrTasselhof

MrTasselhof

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

No you don't get it, skype doesn't want you to run it on anything else then what they've tested.

Based on what you said... i can and will test that.
There Herotab C8 has a resolution of 800x480 and I can set the DPI to 230 thru 270.

Based on your statement alone... it should work with those settings...

Will it... I doubt it as the actual issue isn't the resolution or DPI... the issue is the underlying VOIP access.

Tasselhof

#18 Dany0

Dany0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

I've been waiting for you to try it.

#19 MrTasselhof

MrTasselhof

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

I've been waiting for you to try it.

Same issue/failure.

guess we wait and hope it works on Gingerbread.

Tasselhof

#20 Dany0

Dany0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

One last try - set android version number to 2.3 and ro.build.fingerprint to htc_wwe/htc_bravo/bravo/bravo:2.2/FRF91/226611:ueser/release-keys and lcd density to 240 and heapsize to 32m(btw 64mb can cause trouble to apps made for 2.1, the performance/stability improvment is quite small for regular apps so if you want compatibility - go for 32mb)

backstory:
g1 used to have 12-16mb(depending on carrier and android version). JIT uses a lot more memory therefore it's been set to 64 megs(in the sdk prerelease if I am right), but 2.1 had 32megs as max and if you forced JIT it didn't always handle it properly.

Must not be truth it's just how I remember it, and I'm a little unsure. But the thing with compatibility is 100% right.

EDIT:
Turns out things have changed. It goes the other way. No, it goes totally different way. The heap actually affects the effectivity with which the app operates with memory, and how fast is the garbage collector. big size = speed bump for big apps, slowdown for system and small apps| small size = huge speed bump for small apps(much more effective JIT = higher MFLOPS score; for some reason or another) but crashing of big apps and system instability. 64mb is a speed bump just for one application = Google Earth. Better set it to 30m, it's just as stable as 32m with a liittle speed bump. = default for motodroid 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users