4 replies to this topic

#1 Sm0k3d0uT

Sm0k3d0uT

The Hand That Smites

• Global Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

I am not the author of this guide. All credit goes to scsione889.

Install ClockworkMod

This is a step by step guide to install ClockworkMod v08. This guide assumes that there is no data on your device that is important to you. Back it up or prepare to lose it.

I do not take credit for any of the software, or the techniques used to reach this solution. This guide was a compilation of other guides, my personal experience, and other users’ posts. I do not know exactly where I got all the info from, and do not have the time to look as I need to get to sleep. If it is a big deal that you don’t have your name on here if I used some of your info, let me know and I’ll add you in.

I do NOT accept responsibility for anything good, bad, or indifferent that may come from following this guide. This includes and is not limited to completely destroying your tablet. I highly recommend leaving your tablet plugged in while doing anything like this with your device. I have no idea what will happen if the battery dies in the middle of flashing a ROM (if anything…but better safe than sorry).

Viewsonic or Tap n Tap developers: Thanks for the kernel source, and for embracing our community.  ;D

ALL THE FILES NEEDED FOR THIS GUIDE THE BOTTOM.

Install ClockworkMod v08

ClockworkMod is what will ultimately be used for all your flashing of ROMs, backing up, clearing cache, etc.

Step 1.
Download ClockworkMod v08 (This version has been found to work best...the newer version causes some issues with some ROMs.) There are two versions available; one for installing ClockworkMod from the internal memory, one for installing it from external memory (microSD/microSDHC card).

Step 2.
Unzip the file you chose (cwmod_internal.zip OR cwmod_microsd.zip) to the root folder on the storage option of your choice.

So, for example, if the storage option you chose has the drive letter “F:” assigned to it when hooked up to your computer, you would want it to look something like this…
A folder located at “F:recovery”
A file located at “F:update.zip”

Step 3.
Turn off your device.

Step 4.
Press the power button and the Volume+ button at the same time and release them when the Viewsonic splash screen pops up. You should see "Detect a recovery key pressed" pop up in the upper left corner of the screen.

Step 5.
Watch ClockworkMod install. This will not take long. Your tablet will reboot when installation is complete. Nothing will look different unless you enter ClockworkMod by following the steps below…

Entering ClockworkMod:
If you want to get into ClockworkMod you need to shut down your device, then press the Power and Volume+ button (the same way you did to install ClockworkMod).

Navigating CWMod:

Vol+ and Vol- are to scroll up and down, the home button selects an option, and the back button backs up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ClockworkMod .08
Download: cwmod_internal.zip
Download: cwmod_microsd.zip

#2 Citrusman

Citrusman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWinter Haven, FL

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

I am not the author of this guide. All credit goes to scsione889.

Install ClockworkMod

Step 1.
Download ClockworkMod v08 (This version has been found to work best...the newer version causes some issues with some ROMs.) There are two versions available; one for installing ClockworkMod from the internal memory, one for installing it from external memory (microSD/microSDHC card).

Step 2.
Unzip the file you chose (cwmod_internal.zip OR cwmod_microsd.zip) to the root folder on the storage option of your choice.

So, for example, if the storage option you chose has the drive letter �F:� assigned to it when hooked up to your computer, you would want it to look something like this�
A folder located at �F:recovery�
A file located at �F:update.zip�

Step 3.
Turn off your device.

Step 4.
Press the power button and the Volume+ button at the same time and release them when the Viewsonic splash screen pops up. You should see "Detect a recovery key pressed" pop up in the upper left corner of the screen.

Step 5.
Watch ClockworkMod install. This will not take long. Your tablet will reboot when installation is complete. Nothing will look different unless you enter ClockworkMod by following the steps below�

Entering ClockworkMod:
If you want to get into ClockworkMod you need to shut down your device, then press the Power and Volume+ button (the same way you did to install ClockworkMod).

Navigating CWMod:

Vol+ and Vol- are to scroll up and down, the home button selects an option, and the back button backs up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ClockworkMod .08
Download: cwmod_internal.zip
Download: cwmod_microsd.zip

I installed CWMod v08 per instructions but now the G tab will not boot back into cwmod. I'm on 1.2-4349 stock and was heading to [BL1.2] GtabComb beta 3.3. It appears the flash did not work well. Want to deal with this problem in the least intrusive manner and then move on. Thanks for thoughtful help. I'm not comfortable doing this but I do have Roebeet's BC on another G Tab.

**Added on 2 Aug 2011

After reading as much as can find on borked recover problems it appears in Roebeet's comments that just the recover can be flashed using NVFlash. The version of CWM is different. I was trying to use v08 and the one in NVFlash is another ver for 1.2-4349.

Does this sound right? I want to do it right but it seems that trouble will find you and you just cannot avoid it. Thanks again.

Edited by Citrusman, 02 August 2011 - 11:01 AM.

#3 javiwav

javiwav

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

Make sure step 2 is done exactly or it won't work. Don't put them in the same file! I learned that the hard way...I knew I had done everything right so it took me a while to figure out that the files i had extracted where in the same file.

#4 DEAjason

DEAjason

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

I did all that with my gtablet with the new update from 3 weeks ago and it just keeps going into the recovery screen no update

#5 DaggerDave

DaggerDave

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

So did you update to 1.2.5699 first, then install CWM v8? Were you already on the 1.2 bootloader? Was your tablet stock before taking the update or was it rooted, rom installed or otherwise modified (has it ever been nvflashed)? Do you bootloop or does it just go strait to recovery? Which recovery?

CWM v8 is for the 1.1 bootloader. If you have taken the new update you are on the 1.2 bootloader and need CWM 3028 r5. However for taking the update you will need the stock recovery and rom. Try this first, if you can get into CWM v8, download the CWM 3028.zip, put the tablet into USB Storage and copy over the zip, then install it. If you cannot do this, download the nvflashable CWM 3028, and follow the directions here. Set up Nvflash and APX drivers first, then start at step 3, unzip the CWM you downloaded, rename it to "recovery.img", move it into your nvflash folder and run the command (or create the .bat file and execute it like in the instructions). Do not use the version of CWM on this page it is the same as the one you already have (v8) but the directions are the same.

Visit this page and read up, and get your required downloads from there.