Android Tablets Forum banner

[2011] kewlguys 1/14, 1/27, 2/15, 3/2 (WPDN) SD card enhancements

209K views 421 replies 93 participants last post by  semoreno3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[Mod Edit 6/13/12]
***WARNING***
Do NOT use if you have SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP FW <---This is a 2012 dated FW reported not compatible with the 2010/2011 FWs.
[/edit]

Since 3/2 is now the only option that the Pandigital Updater offers, I thought it made sense to have flashable versions of the currently popular system enhancements. These are similar to jackbox's enhancements, however, these are flashed like firmware updates to eliminate the need for ADB, Android SDK, and also provide some love to our Mac users. Thanks to mac1_131 for finding the reboot syntax that made these flashes even safer. Assuming all dev's start using the /system/bin/reboot command in the updater-script, hopefully flash looping will be a thing of the past. Let me know if there are any other desired enhancements and I'll package them up.

Note that these are compatible with the 1/11, 1/14, 1/27, 2/15, and 3/2 OP firmware options. More than likely, they'll be compatible with any new firmwares that Pandigital tries throwing our way. Enjoy!

Individual download links are below or click here to access the entire folder of all enhancements.

Enhancements/Download Links
1/14, 1/27, 2/15, 3/2 Enhancements
Version Specific

Combo Packs - One flash with multiple enhancements
  • Combo Pack #1 - This pack installs the following enhancements (descriptions below): Root PDN, BusyBox, 2d/3d Driver Enhancement, Optimized DVM with JIT, AdHoc WiFi Supplement, custom HOSTS file, and LatinIME with dictionary.
  • Combo Pack #2 - Same as Combo Pack #1 but with the Optimized DVM without JIT (for Kindle and other app compatibility)

How To Install - These are flashable updates that work just like a firmware update, only MUCH quicker. Simply copy the downloaded ZIP file to your external SD card, turn off your PDN, and flash by holding volume up and the power button simultaneously for about 5 seconds until you see the flash process begin. Make sure all other update ZIP files are removed from your SD cards before beginning. Note that these must be flashed one at a time.

Description of enhancements
  • Root PDN - Properly "roots" your PDN allowing applications to work that require root access (i.e. Titanium Backup, SoftKeys, etc). This installs a working SU (superuser) binary to /system/xbin and creates a symlink to /system/bin for apps that are hardcoded to look for SU in that location.
  • Install BusyBox - Installs v2.10 of the BusyBox package. BusyBox adds additional UNIX commands that are required for some applications, including grep, cut, cpio, and a whole handful of others.
  • Install 2d/3d Driver Enhancement - Installs optimized 2d/3d graphics drivers to add some improved graphic functionality on the PDN.
  • Install AdHoc WiFi Supplement - Allows the PDN to see and connect to AdHoc WiFi networks. AdHoc networks will appear in the normal WiFi network list prefaced with an asterisk.
  • Install volkey Hack - Changes the functionality of the PDN's volume keys to be menu and back (vol up is menu and vol down is back).
  • Install Optimized DVM with JIT - Installs an optimized DVM CPU driver with just-in-time (JIT) execution. This improves the overall performance of the PDN.
  • Install Optimized DVM without JIT - While JIT provides improved performance, it causes some apps to not work correctly (Kindle, Tapatalk, and a few others). This installs the optimized DVM but without JIT.
  • Install Flash Lite 10.1 - This update installs a version of Flash Lite v10.1 that works on the WPDN. Note that it also installs the Optimized DVM with JIT as it is a prereq for Flash to work correctly.
  • Install Google Experience - Installs the full Google Experience, which includes the Android Market, Gmail, Google Calendar, Maps, etc.
  • Install Market-Only - Installs the Android Market.
  • Install LatinIME.apk with dictionary - The stock LatinIME.apk file shipped with the PDN does not contain a valid dictionary file. This update installs a new version that has a built-in dictionary to enable text autocorrection in input and dialog boxes.
  • Update build.prop to SDK7 - Since Eclair (PDN's Android-base version) is SDK5, there are many applications that wont install correctly (new Aldiko, Adobe PDF, etc). This update changes the build.prop to reflect SDK7 and allow more applications to install correctly.
  • Install custom HOSTS file - Installs a custom HOSTS file to /system/etc to block ads and other malicious sites when browsing or using network applications on the PDN.
  • Install Google Maps Dependencies - Installs the Google Maps dependencies that seem to be required for most Twitter clients, and obviously, Google Maps. This also updates your build.prop to SDK 7 to ensure Twitter compatibility. Here is a link to the official Android Twitter client that works properly once these dependencies are installed.
  • Framework Restore - Once you get the market running, it is highly recommended to restore the default framework.jar. The Market install uses a customized framework.jar created by clockworx to accomplish the non-ugly hack and causes some compatibility and stability issues with the newer OP firmwares. This is the stock framework.jar (please select the version that corresponds with your firmware base version).
  • Restore Stock DVM - Restores back to the stock PDN DVM driver with no optimization.
  • Revert volkey Hack - Changes the functionality of the PDN's volume keys back to normal.

Notes regarding Market: When you access the market, download a free app right away to successfully register your market account. This needs to happen before the Market update is automatically downloaded (less than 5 minutes). You can delete the app later if you desire. If you miss the window, you have two options - you can add a second Google Account through the Quick Sync Settings application (installed with both the Google Experience and Market-Only addons) or you can try changing the time back 24 hours and reconnecting to the market. Search through the forum for more tips - there are plenty of weird things that have worked for people in the past.

Special note - If you are tired of the 1/11, 1/14, or 1/27 OP based firmwares and want to try some of the older MOD's or just really liked that stock PDN bookshelf, you can flash this file like a normal firmware update which restores the 11/19 stock kernel, bootloader, ramdisk, and recovery images. This will allow you to safely go back to any stock firmware. Once you are back on a stock firmware, you can flash this file to repartition your internal MicroSD card back to one full size FAT partition (the OP firmwares split the internal MicroSD card into two evenly sized partitions).

Flashable "flash loop" fix - http://www.mediafire...yvf3fyu2od7qd7s
Flashable script to repartition your MicroSD card - http://www.mediafire...5q9kqc9mcm2w9kt

See less See more
#2 ·
No disrespect to JB. I would be interested. It would make it a little easier. I tried roebeets new update last night and liked it but then I couldn't run root explorer because it said it couldn't gain root access and some of my apps kept crashing. So I'm back to using JB's updates. I do like these updates but a flashable version would be worth it, in my opinion.

#3 ·
[quote author=kewlguy link=topic=15249.msg132734#msg132734 date=1296943842]
I am by NO means trying to steal any of JB's thunder, but would there be interest/benefit in flashable versions of these updates? It would provide a solid method to include Mac users, and also allow people to not mess with getting their device correctly installed with the ADB drivers. Again, I don't want to step on JB's toes, but if there is interest, let me know!
[/quote]

Ding! Ding! Ding!

You're playing my song.

#4 ·
[quote author=kewlguy link=topic=15249.msg132734#msg132734 date=1296943842]
I am by NO means trying to steal any of JB's thunder, but would there be interest/benefit in flashable versions of these updates? It would provide a solid method to include Mac users, and also allow people to not mess with getting their device correctly installed with the ADB drivers. Again, I don't want to step on JB's toes, but if there is interest, let me know!
[/quote]

I'm interested! Count me in.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since I recently succeeded in bricking my PDN - a first for me - I'm not sure I'm as enthusiastic about flashing add-on's. Nice thing about JB's approach is that it's pretty hard to do permanent damage to your PDN applying his changes. The other thing is that JB's method provides the ultimate in flexibility for the end user - you only install the features you want. I really like that. Want market only? No problem. All GAPPS? Piece of cake. Don't want JIT so you can run Kindle? No need to install it. Absolutely the most user friendly approach I've seen and if he gets a web based front end utility going we'll have to send him a super sized gold star.

My 2 cents................

#6 ·
@kewlguy,

I am not against you developing whatever flashable modules you choose. I am against intermixing it in any way with jackbox's work.

He has been VERY CLEAR that he fears the current "flashing craze" and wants to have a system that builds on a Pandigital stock build and ads components in the safest way possible. He has said he will only develop a set of modules that are directly usable on Windows and, if converted, on Linux. He hopes to make it very user friendly by using a browser based "front end" (not web based).

I, for one, REALLY like that approach in that it starts with a clean Pandigital build, so that if flashing problems are encountered it clearly falls within Pandigital's area of responsibility should a warranty claim be required. Then additional pieces are added via a safe avenue.

So yes.. I certainly encourage you to do whatever you want, but let's not confuse jackbox's simple concept by trying to intermix.

#7 ·
@jackbox - I wasn't implying one big flash with all enhancements; I was talking a modular approach like you've started in this thread, only with flashable individual enhancements, rather than ADB zips. Sorry for clouding the thread or any confusion.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
[quote author=kewlguy link=topic=15249.msg132943#msg132943 date=1296997405]
@jackbox - I wasn't implying one big flash with all enhancements; I was talking a modular approach like you've started in this thread, only with flashable individual enhancements, rather than ADB zips. Sorry for clouding the thread or any confusion.
[/quote]
@kewlguy

Do you mean like Nchntrman's patches for the old FWs?
http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=6124.0

@jackbox, yes, I will split this off

Edit: Like the idea! Especially for the New SH20 series FWs. (and our PD forgotten Mac users)

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
[quote author=kewlguy link=topic=16143.msg132963#msg132963 date=1296999886]
Yep - just like his old patches for the stock FW's. I'll post them later today.

I'm banished from my PDN until daughter goes to sleep

[/quote]

Thank you so much, kewlguy and mac1_131!!!

...and now we move forward

[quote author=mac1_131 link=topic=16143.msg132966#msg132966 date=1297000349]
don't forget to throw a bone to who enabled you to do this!
[/quote]
Yep, I saw it begin right here: http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=16117.0

#13 ·
[quote author=kewlguy link=topic=16143.msg132968#msg132968 date=1297001065]
Sorry mac - in the excitement I forgot to throw you props. Nice find on the reboot command

[/quote]
@mac1_131 and kewlguy:

You two make an outstanding team! This stuff is a great foundation for our new beginners thread.

#14 ·
Alright - just posted a big batch of enhancements.  I also just updated my "ROOT" enhancement to add a symlink to /system/bin/su, as SoftKeys is hardcoded to look for that path.  SoftKeys now works correctly, as well as Titanium Backup and Root Explorer.  Have fun.

#15 ·
These are outstanding kewlguy.. thanks a lot.

Any concerns I expressed in another thread about confusion with jackbox's work has been eliminated by the way it was handled as two completely different threads with recognition of the interrelationship.

One other thing I find myself doing is elevating the sdk to 7 to allow Zeam (and probably some other apps) to work. Could this be done via a flash? It isn't hard to do manually, but it does take a minute or so.

#18 ·
You rock Kewl. Thanks for this tireless work you and all of your modding peers have been doing. These are great additions! I need your energy! I've got a 2 year old who appreciates having YO GABBA GABBA on an ereader!

#19 ·
[quote author=cjrenick link=topic=16143.msg133178#msg133178 date=1297029732]
KG,
These enhancements are already on your hybrid fw 4.0m correct? I compared both your threads and unless I am missing something they all appear to be on my 4.0m.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think they are all already installed in v4.0M and v3.01M. These are flashable updates for people with stock 1/11, 1/14, or 1/27 who want to enhance their systems and have the flexibility to choose exactly what mods they want. It's a choose your own adventure mod-style =)

#20 ·
hi, Kewlguy,

Thanks for the effort. THe Volhack does not work on 1/27 K WPDN V.1. After the hack, the power key is not responding, the up key become numeric 4 and down key become numeric 3.
Please let us know you you get the same one and if you can fix it.

Thanks

ymeyyyou

#22 ·
[quote author=ymeyyou link=topic=16143.msg133231#msg133231 date=1297041464]
Kewlguy,
want to follow up re: Volhack. If the system become sleep, then I can wake it up with the power key as usual.
The only way to turn off is to unplug the power cable as this moment.
Thanks
ymeyyou
[/quote]

Not sure what to say on that one. The volkey hack only changes the assignment for the two buttons identified by volume up and volume down.

What happens when you try to power down like normal?

#23 ·
I can also confirm that the volume key hack is not working
. I went a little flash crazy with your enhancements Kewl. They are fast,but now I'm also unable to use my slingbox client (another reason I was excited about the volume hack).

#24 ·
[quote author=Power_Tennis link=topic=16143.msg133247#msg133247 date=1297048894]
I can also confirm that the volume key hack is not working
. I went a little flash crazy with your enhancements Kewl. They are fast,but now I'm also unable to use my slingbox client (another reason I was excited about the volume hack).
[/quote]

Give me an hour to battle traffic then I'll figure something out. Sorry for any problems.

#26 ·
[quote author=cjrenick link=topic=16143.msg133364#msg133364 date=1297083856]
Powertennis,
Have you tried softkeys? It works very well.
[/quote]

And it works correctly with my root and busybox updates

Either way, I'll post a volkey fix soon, but I agree - softkeys is pretty cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.