Do NOT use if you have SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP FW <---This is a 2012 dated FW reported not compatible with the 2010/2011 FWs.
Since 3/2 is now the only option that the Pandigital Updater offers, I thought it made sense to have flashable versions of the currently popular system enhancements. These are similar to jackbox's enhancements, however, these are flashed like firmware updates to eliminate the need for ADB, Android SDK, and also provide some love to our Mac users. Thanks to mac1_131 for finding the reboot syntax that made these flashes even safer. Assuming all dev's start using the /system/bin/reboot command in the updater-script, hopefully flash looping will be a thing of the past. Let me know if there are any other desired enhancements and I'll package them up.
Note that these are compatible with the 1/11, 1/14, 1/27, 2/15, and 3/2 OP firmware options. More than likely, they'll be compatible with any new firmwares that Pandigital tries throwing our way. Enjoy!
Individual download links are below or click here to access the entire folder of all enhancements.
1/14, 1/27, 2/15, 3/2 Enhancements
- Root PDN
- Install BusyBox
- Install 2d/3d Driver Enhancement
- Install AdHoc WiFi Supplement
- Install volkey Hack
- Install Optimized DVM with JIT
- Install Optimized DVM without JIT
- Install Flash Lite 10.1
- Install Google Experience
- Install Market-Only
- Install LatinIME.apk w/ dictionary
- Update build.prop to SDK7
- Install custom HOSTS file
- Install Google Maps Dependencies
- Restore Stock DVM
- Revert volkey Hack
Combo Packs - One flash with multiple enhancements
- Combo Pack #1 - This pack installs the following enhancements (descriptions below): Root PDN, BusyBox, 2d/3d Driver Enhancement, Optimized DVM with JIT, AdHoc WiFi Supplement, custom HOSTS file, and LatinIME with dictionary.
- Combo Pack #2 - Same as Combo Pack #1 but with the Optimized DVM without JIT (for Kindle and other app compatibility)
How To Install - These are flashable updates that work just like a firmware update, only MUCH quicker. Simply copy the downloaded ZIP file to your external SD card, turn off your PDN, and flash by holding volume up and the power button simultaneously for about 5 seconds until you see the flash process begin. Make sure all other update ZIP files are removed from your SD cards before beginning. Note that these must be flashed one at a time.
Description of enhancements
- Root PDN - Properly "roots" your PDN allowing applications to work that require root access (i.e. Titanium Backup, SoftKeys, etc). This installs a working SU (superuser) binary to /system/xbin and creates a symlink to /system/bin for apps that are hardcoded to look for SU in that location.
- Install BusyBox - Installs v2.10 of the BusyBox package. BusyBox adds additional UNIX commands that are required for some applications, including grep, cut, cpio, and a whole handful of others.
- Install 2d/3d Driver Enhancement - Installs optimized 2d/3d graphics drivers to add some improved graphic functionality on the PDN.
- Install AdHoc WiFi Supplement - Allows the PDN to see and connect to AdHoc WiFi networks. AdHoc networks will appear in the normal WiFi network list prefaced with an asterisk.
- Install volkey Hack - Changes the functionality of the PDN's volume keys to be menu and back (vol up is menu and vol down is back).
- Install Optimized DVM with JIT - Installs an optimized DVM CPU driver with just-in-time (JIT) execution. This improves the overall performance of the PDN.
- Install Optimized DVM without JIT - While JIT provides improved performance, it causes some apps to not work correctly (Kindle, Tapatalk, and a few others). This installs the optimized DVM but without JIT.
- Install Flash Lite 10.1 - This update installs a version of Flash Lite v10.1 that works on the WPDN. Note that it also installs the Optimized DVM with JIT as it is a prereq for Flash to work correctly.
- Install Google Experience - Installs the full Google Experience, which includes the Android Market, Gmail, Google Calendar, Maps, etc.
- Install Market-Only - Installs the Android Market.
- Install LatinIME.apk with dictionary - The stock LatinIME.apk file shipped with the PDN does not contain a valid dictionary file. This update installs a new version that has a built-in dictionary to enable text autocorrection in input and dialog boxes.
- Update build.prop to SDK7 - Since Eclair (PDN's Android-base version) is SDK5, there are many applications that wont install correctly (new Aldiko, Adobe PDF, etc). This update changes the build.prop to reflect SDK7 and allow more applications to install correctly.
- Install custom HOSTS file - Installs a custom HOSTS file to /system/etc to block ads and other malicious sites when browsing or using network applications on the PDN.
- Install Google Maps Dependencies - Installs the Google Maps dependencies that seem to be required for most Twitter clients, and obviously, Google Maps. This also updates your build.prop to SDK 7 to ensure Twitter compatibility. Here is a link to the official Android Twitter client that works properly once these dependencies are installed.
- Framework Restore - Once you get the market running, it is highly recommended to restore the default framework.jar. The Market install uses a customized framework.jar created by clockworx to accomplish the non-ugly hack and causes some compatibility and stability issues with the newer OP firmwares. This is the stock framework.jar (please select the version that corresponds with your firmware base version).
- Restore Stock DVM - Restores back to the stock PDN DVM driver with no optimization.
- Revert volkey Hack - Changes the functionality of the PDN's volume keys back to normal.
Notes regarding Market: When you access the market, download a free app right away to successfully register your market account. This needs to happen before the Market update is automatically downloaded (less than 5 minutes). You can delete the app later if you desire. If you miss the window, you have two options - you can add a second Google Account through the Quick Sync Settings application (installed with both the Google Experience and Market-Only addons) or you can try changing the time back 24 hours and reconnecting to the market. Search through the forum for more tips - there are plenty of weird things that have worked for people in the past.
Special note - If you are tired of the 1/11, 1/14, or 1/27 OP based firmwares and want to try some of the older MOD's or just really liked that stock PDN bookshelf, you can flash this file like a normal firmware update which restores the 11/19 stock kernel, bootloader, ramdisk, and recovery images. This will allow you to safely go back to any stock firmware. Once you are back on a stock firmware, you can flash this file to repartition your internal MicroSD card back to one full size FAT partition (the OP firmwares split the internal MicroSD card into two evenly sized partitions).
Flashable "flash loop" fix - http://www.mediafire...yvf3fyu2od7qd7s
Flashable script to repartition your MicroSD card - http://www.mediafire...5q9kqc9mcm2w9kt
This post has been edited by mrsburnout: 13 June 2012 - 10:33 AM