How to unbrick your Coby MID7015

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 vinylb

vinylb

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

I been messing around with the NAND and took things too far evidently because after a download with FWDN v7 a reboot rendered it with nothing on the screen. From what I have read I could have bricked it or it is in USB mode.
If it is is USB mode what are the steps to get it to be recognised by FWDN ? Fwdn is not reporting  an init screen and Win 7 x64 is no longer showing a usb device attached.

When pressing the power button on, I do not get any lights to indicate its working but connecting the 5v charger turns green or red when charging battery. I also have opened the case and cannot locate
a "boot from usb" switch..I have found several connectors near the reset button but have not been successful, could be because i do not know the boot sequence to get it recognised.

I do have the original Lonpad D7 firmware ..lk.rom fai nand and the mtd file so could use it for FWDN..it worked previously...even though it booted into Chinese language it still worked.

Any suggestions to try to revive would be greatly appreciated before I flog it on ########### for parts.

thx

#2 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:18 PM

I know the feeling all too well - I had bricked my R10 for weeks, thinking it would never be revived (no boot screen either, at one point).

It sounds like you probably have the tools to fix it, but you just need to get the right combination to get it into the proper USB mode. You probably need to just find the right combination of keys, but unfortunately I don't know what that combination could be.  Good luck!

#3 vinylb

vinylb

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:44 AM

I guess what makes it more difficult is not knowing if it really is on since there is no led green or red to indicate its on. it only turns on when I plug in 5v charger. I de-soldered the one battery lead thinking that might "wake" it up
and force it to start a fresh boot but that did nothing.

And just to think, I believe I was making good head way into a new kernel, tcboot and system.img :)

There is not much documentation about FWDN but do you have to always flash the NAND when delivering lk.rom and the mtd.img file ?

Roebeet, do you recall what combination you used to revive your device ? The combinations I have found on google have not helped. If only I can get it to be recognised i windows device manager then I have a good shot
at recovering.

#4 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

I have more experience with the older FWDN, as that's the one the R10 uses (different config, different files).  And agreed on documentation - it's all piece meal from what I could dredge up on the Internet.

What I can tell you that might help is how I confirmed USB mode, on my device.  I'm a Linux user, so I used the command tool "lusb" to check what state the device was in.  This is what I would see:

Nothing = device is either powered off, or in a state that my Linux PC could not recognize it
b058 = initial boot kernel, and possibly the recovery kernel
deed = Android
b071 = USB mode.  Assuming the ID's are the same between our two devices, then this is the ID you want to see

This was very helpful to me, since I had no idea what state my system was in since I had no lights or screen to help me.  In my case a lower power button hold usually turned it off, and power + the volume down key would get it into USB mode.

#5 vinylb

vinylb

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SUCCESS AT LAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are my steps to unbrick your Coby MID7015:

PRE_REQS:
Software-
A. I used Windows XP within VMware as a guest OS - installed on Win 7 x64
B. within XP download and unpack LONPAD D7 firmware (lonpad20101201) to a directory of your choice. You should have lk.rom, NAND Data.fai and tcc8900_mtd.img as well as FDWN.exe  and vtc drivers
C. Install the vtc drivers and reboot XP
D. Start XP and have device manager displayed and also start FWDN..both shoudl be on the screen

Hardware-
A solering iron
B. very small/fine flat head screwdriver and if possible plastic tool (both tools found on the net where they sell nintendo ds or wii hack mod tools)

K here goes..take your time !!!!!

1. take off back cover with tools mentioned above
2. disconnect lcd cable (the huge flat ribbon cable on the right of device..be careful..you must first move the little black connectors before taking cable out
3. unsolder the red battery lead that is connected to pcb and put some tape over the bare lead for safety
4. locate NAND device it has marking of 29f32g08cbaba on the chip....2nd biggest chip next to Telechips cpu
5. short pins 7 & 8 - i used the edge of a very small flat head screwdriver (part of tools mentioned above)
6. keep pins shorted while you connect power/5v  charger and mini usb connector
7. press and hold power button and keep pins 7&8 still shorted
8.  Xp will detect  telechips tcc89xx vtc DRIVER or somethign to that effect. XP must continue to display this device in device manager thoughout the operation
9. FWDN will display window indicating a boot init or startup message
10 the big unknown box to right will change from grayed out to some message indicating it knows about nand
11. click on the big Nand box and create a single FAT partition for your nand and save the image to a location (not important to remember since we wont use it again)
12. now add the Nand data.dai file, it should show up as a Nand target. Click on Start and it will flash it
13. add the lk.rom file as well and it will show up as a Boot target. Click on Start and it will flash it.
14. up until this point in time I have kept the pins 7 & 8 connected (just in case) but i feel it might not be needed
15. let go of the power button and remove the connection thats shorting 7 & 8
16. disconnect power and usb cable
17. attach lcd ribbon cable and secure with black connector
18. put back power cable and power up....you should see the android logo and message at bottom indicating the device is in fastboot mode. Holding power+ home will boot into FWDN mode
19 turnoff /unplug all conenctions and solder red lead from battery back onto pcb
20. you can now do whatever you want with it

Note : After step 14 you could flash using the system image tcc8900_mtd..

Some other notes from my last few days with this Coby...the Lonpad D7  is identical physically but the touch screen is different and flash it will render screen useless and everything is in Chinese.
Herotab G701 and Emdoor EM71 appear to be of the same cloth. My Coby pcb has QC marking of EM71.

UPDATE : step 7 - you need to short pins and hold in power button for about 5 seconds then you can remove the short and let go of power button.
                step 9 - FWDN will display 2 popup windows to show it found the device and the boot sequence initialized. The right Unknown box should change automatically to show Nand and the size of it.
                            if it does not do this, check that the Telechips tcc89xx vtc driver shows up in windows device manager...also you might have to go through the steps of shorting again and hold the short
                            and power button for a little more this time.
              step 2 - there does not appear to have any side effects if you leave the lcd screen connected, BUT you DO have to remove the battery (red lead) for this to work.
              Software Pre-reqs - I tried FWDN and the vtc drivers in WIN 7 x64 and it worked, so no need for virtual XP

#6 drjjose

drjjose

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:36 AM

Can you post the file it seems it vanish from the face of the earth thx
  • shmuellevi71 likes this

#7 shmuellevi71

shmuellevi71

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

i need lk.rom, NAND Data.fai and tcc8900_mtd.img help

#8 Sabra

Sabra

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:44 AM

really need lk.rom and tcc8900_mtd.img
mentalsns@gmail.com

#9 vinylb

vinylb

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

really need lk.rom and tcc8900_mtd.img
mentalsns@gmail.com

Here is a link to the Lonpad firmware:
Lonpad fimrware

I used the FDWN tool supplied in the rar file.There are many versions floating around - use the one in this rar file!!!! Once you have your Coby restored with Lonpad
you can then put back what other rom you want to.

Good luck !

Edited by vinylb, 03 May 2011 - 09:18 AM.

#10 guito

guito

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

Thank you so MUCH!!!!!!!!!
Guito :yahoo:

#11 fuseboxxx

fuseboxxx

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

I been messing around with the NAND and took things too far evidently because after a download with FWDN v7 a reboot rendered it with nothing on the screen. From what I have read I could have bricked it or it is in USB mode.
If it is is USB mode what are the steps to get it to be recognised by FWDN ? Fwdn is not reporting  an init screen and Win 7 x64 is no longer showing a usb device attached.

When pressing the power button on, I do not get any lights to indicate its working but connecting the 5v charger turns green or red when charging battery. I also have opened the case and cannot locate
a "boot from usb" switch..I have found several connectors near the reset button but have not been successful, could be because i do not know the boot sequence to get it recognised.

I do have the original Lonpad D7 firmware ..lk.rom fai nand and the mtd file so could use it for FWDN..it worked previously...even though it booted into Chinese language it still worked.

Any suggestions to try to revive would be greatly appreciated before I flog it on ########### for parts.

thx

Good to know...gonna buy one soon

#12 Sabra

Sabra

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

the rom work, but touchscreen dont work, maybe copy some files from update.zip?

#13 fun_

fun_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

the rom work, but touchscreen dont work, maybe copy some files from update.zip?

update.zip for kyros 7015 will fix touchscreen.
or try Gpad7015 ROM instead of Lonpad D7 ROM
http://www.szltp.com...download22.html (eclair)
http://www.szltp.com...download36.html (gingerbread)
http://androtab.info/

#14 Sabra

Sabra

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

It's alive!!! It's alive!!!
a Very Big thank)

#15 Leonardo080687

Leonardo080687

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hello everyone... i have a COBY KYROS 7020 with TCC8902 ARM11 720mhz / 4GB / HDMI / USB / CAMERA /WIFI hardware, and i bricked my tablet system. I have recovered the bootloader with this guide but i cannot find anywhere the original system rom for this. Maybe someone can help me??? Any help would be great!

#16 Globalizados

Globalizados

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SUCCESS AT LAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRE_REQS:
Software-
B. within XP download and unpack LONPAD D7 firmware (lonpad20101201) to a directory of your choice. You should have lk.rom, NAND Data.fai and tcc8900_mtd.img as well as FDWN.exe  and vtc drivers
D. Start XP and have device manager displayed and also start FWDN..both shoudl be on the screen

Hardware-
A solering iron
B. very small/fine flat head screwdriver and if possible plastic tool (both tools found on the net where they sell nintendo ds or wii hack mod tools)

2. disconnect lcd cable (the huge flat ribbon cable on the right of device..be careful..you must first move the little black connectors before taking cable out
3. unsolder the red battery lead that is connected to pcb and put some tape over the bare lead for safety
4. locate NAND device it has marking of 29f32g08cbaba on the chip....2nd biggest chip next to Telechips cpu
5. short pins 7 & 8 - i used the edge of a very small flat head screwdriver (part of tools mentioned above)
8.  Xp will detect  telechips tcc89xx vtc DRIVER or somethign to that effect. XP must continue to display this device in device manager thoughout the operation
10 the big unknown box to right will change from grayed out to some message indicating it knows about nand
11. click on the big Nand box and create a single FAT partition for your nand and save the image to a location (not important to remember since we wont use it again)
12. now add the Nand data.dai file, it should show up as a Nand target. Click on Start and it will flash it
13. add the lk.rom file as well and it will show up as a Boot target. Click on Start and it will flash it.
14. up until this point in time I have kept the pins 7 & 8 connected (just in case) but i feel it might not be needed
18. put back power cable and power up....you should see the android logo and message at bottom indicating the device is in fastboot mode. Holding power+ home will boot into FWDN mode
19 turnoff /unplug all conenctions and solder red lead from battery back onto pcb

Some other notes from my last few days with this Coby...the Lonpad D7  is identical physically but the touch screen is different and flash it will render screen useless and everything is in Chinese.
Herotab G701 and Emdoor EM71 appear to be of the same cloth. My Coby pcb has QC marking of EM71.

UPDATE : step 7 - you need to short pins and hold in power button for about 5 seconds then you can remove the short and let go of power button.
                step 9 - FWDN will display 2 popup windows to show it found the device and the boot sequence initialized. The right Unknown box should change automatically to show Nand and the size of it.
                            if it does not do this, check that the Telechips tcc89xx vtc driver shows up in windows device manager...also you might have to go through the steps of shorting again and hold the short
              step 2 - there does not appear to have any side effects if you leave the lcd screen connected, BUT you DO have to remove the battery (red lead) for this to work.
              Software Pre-reqs - I tried FWDN and the vtc drivers in WIN 7 x64 and it worked, so no need for virtual XP

This procedure serves on a Herotab EM71?

#17 nickloris

nickloris

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:18 AM

PRE_REQS:
Software-

Hardware-
A solering iron

Not works on EM73 that it seems completely dead
any ideas?

thanks

#18 fun_

fun_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

Not works on EM73 that it seems completely dead

this procedure worked for my EM73. did you flash correct EM73 files?
at least there is 4 variants for EM73 capacitive. 2 are named EM73 and other 2 are rebranded. they are almost same but bit different.
http://androtab.info/

#19 nickloris

nickloris

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

this procedure worked for my EM73. did you flash correct EM73 files?
at least there is 4 variants for EM73 capacitive. 2 are named EM73 and other 2 are rebranded. they are almost same but bit different.

I fear it was wrong firmware. It was for a tablet with the same CPU (i don't remember which is).
So there are no more hope?

Thanks

#20 sandyj

sandyj

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

Help! At step 8 the computer alerts that the tablet is plugged in. But at step 10 the unknown box is not changing and I can't seem to figure out how to create the FAT partition. I tried to go ahead and add the files to see if that would do anything and I get a pop up that says something to the effect of "can't find boot file". Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users