Android Tablets Forum banner

3G connection working with usb dongle! - Huawei e1750

38K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  533online 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This has been already posted in another thread but I think it may be useful to have a separate topic:

GREAT NEWS!!! ;D

THE 3G CONNECTION WORKS WITH A USB 3G DONGLE MODEL "HUAWEI e1750"!!!

After playing a bit with my old Huawei e220 usb 3g dongle on my Mid816 (with no luck) I decided to buy the e1750 model as in the 01/06 Firmware improvements list it was stated that this newer model would work.

What can I say... IT WORKS!!!

I took the dongle out of the box, placed my simcard inside and plugged it to the main usb port of my beloved tablet (I switched wifi off before) and after some error messages about another SD card trying to be mounted (the dongle has also another microSD socket inside! but I left it empty) then, the GSM signal bars appeared! then I've gone through settings to the APN list which used to be blocked, and then two APN configurations I entered some days ago for the e220 appeared!! (the system saved it somewhere) I selected the second one and WoW, the 3G Icon appeared also, and after a couple of seconds the up/down arrows started flashing! a connection was stablished.

I've tried Dolphin HD browser, and it works really fast! I've performed a speed test and you can see the ressults below!

Now my system is complete, I haven't tried any other FW but 01/06 meets all my requirements!

I'm attaching some pictures of this success:

Thanks again Tass, Dany0, adrenalynn and all the crew here, as I got this miracle device because of you!

See less See more
#4 ·
I got mine free of charge when I ordered 3G pay as you go (3$/day). It is very easy to set up, add APN manually, search for your carrier in the menu and you are set. Put the dongle in and boot your Herotab, you will then see the 3G sign and reception strengts in the taskbar. I get about 3-4 Mbit/s, it's a bit slower then wifi but it is ok (especially for me that has problem with the wifi so I have to toggle it on/oss every couple of minutes). I haven't notized any change in the power consumtion yet. It looks a bit odd but you can put a small USB cable in the Tab and prolong it to get it away if you like.

#6 ·
Well i finally got my e1750 from Hong Kong with big disappointment as its not unlocked like its supposed to be.Im in Australia and its locked to t mobile which is of no use to me,i tryed unlocking it with downloaded tools but it keeps saying error so im hoping to get my money back or a new unlocked one.
Cheers
John

#9 ·
Hello,

got one question about HUAWEI E1552 3g modem... I have unlocked it and it works flawesly with PC...

Id like to make it work on my 816 metal case 01/19 firmware if possible...

Ive tried to plug it in shut, then boot with modem plugged in, all seems ok,

but when I create new apn (movistar/spain) and make it saved, it wont show up in the apn menu...

Also when I want to search for networks, it searches, led blinking/searching and search to no avail..

Any suggestions?

Thanx

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes thanks to crisdo i have it unlocked ,and it works on the laptop fine,it also works on an earlier image from tass,but heres where i have problems.On his newest image he disabled all the phone services,i have managed to get them back to an extent but cant save my apn.No matter how i try it i cant save it to use it.Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
John

Iguess mine prob is the same as honaseks above.

Ok you can all stop running around looking for a solution ,as i know you all were,i have it working ,i done nothing different except burn some different images to try,i went back to tass,s latest in the end after getting it to work on 1/18 image and knock me down if it wasnt working.I had all ready rebooted etc etc to no avail with this image and now it works,its got me. im a bit scared to put the dongle back in just incase it decides to stop working.
Any way thought you all might like an update if you are looking at getting the huawei e1750.

Now the next question is does any one know if you can use this like a phone such as any software to do this???
Cheers
John

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sure. It will work if YOU write a device driver, stand on your head, cluck like a chicken, and sacrifice a 1200 watt power supply and a hex core CPU to the gods of wireless.

"Will something EVER happen"

"I don't accept hypothetical answers"

That's just silly. If you ask a hypothetical question, there is no possible correct answer to the question that isn't also hypothetical.

Incidentally: Sierra Wireless is sold world-wide.

#22 ·
Oh gosh... Look, Ive asked my question three times.. and theres been no answer so far.. Why the hack people cant give straight answer even if it is negative?

Thank you for correcting my gramatical errors Adrenalynn. As Im not a native english-speaking human being, but just a binary-code spitting beast, It takes me ages to convert to your official language. But Im getting better every day huh!

I disagree! Silly is a putty! (remember that amiga game, right?) Silly, for me personally, is to ask one question three times and get no satisfactory answer.

To be sold worldwide doesnt mean people are use to it or even they use/know it.

#20 ·
Have you heard about the new realistic audio browser plug-in for the forum? Apparently, when you annoy people with your post you'll now be able to hear effects ranging from a dagger thudding into a wall next to your head all the way up to a nuclear detonation!

Well, I'm off to download the Disney audio pack which ranges from bluebirds circling your head to Pluto biting Mickey Mouse in the ass...

#29 ·
Meeeeeeeow, or not, waitaminnit both and neither...

#30 ·
Honasek,

You got all the answer your arrogant butt deserves. Simply put, it does not presently work with the MID816 -as you would have known by reading the forum posts concerning compatible 3G modems and specifically the notes or posts associated with the firmware upgrades.

Further, the person you're giving a hard time may(probably will) be the person, or one of the persons, who eventually improve the current ROM level(Froyo 2.2) and add support for other devices or even leverage us all into Honeycomb. You never know who you're talking to in a forum, but it's a good bet that the ones who at least try to help you aren't the bad guys.

What exactly gives you the right to come here and DEMAND a straight answer from anyone? Let alone one requiring a crystal ball and a spirit guide. First rule of ASKING anything of others is that you leave your arrogance elsewhere when you show up with your hat in your hand. Frankly, whether English is your 1st language or your 9th, visible arrogance is quite inexcusable. Before you protest your arrogance, you were demanding when you could have simply read the forum and found your answer.

What does the poet say about that? Dat's the fac', Jack... (see IMDB, Bill Murray and/or Stripes)

Reactions: Bradley
#31 ·
PS Adrenalynn,

Jake, the office cat where I work, in no way approved/disapproved of the turn this thread took earlier... Yup, turns out he was completely indeterminate.

#33 ·
It's strange, but it seems like we never actually see him. Apparently, so much as the merest glance causes him to shift position.

What I could never figure about Schro, was where he found a cat carrier that was both soundproof and provided a ready supply of fresh air... I'd like to build a submarine outta that stuff.

#37 ·
Well, I was kinda thinking if to reply or not...

As you state: First rule of ASKING anything of others is that you leave your arrogance elsewhere... I beg you pardon?
Do you really think I was arrogant asking my first question? and the second one...?

And if you think Im being arrogant butt after few woken nights, with red eyes, spitting fireballs all over the office, people all around staring at me weirdly and that all just because of trying to make that damn thing functional... than yes, Im arrogant butt.

What did the poet want to say? Ill translate = what did you mean by that (lyricaly)?

And what sort of a man are you to watch Adrenalynn's back and offend other poeple with words like arrogant butt? dont you think she has her feelings and in case of feeling offended, she'd say something?

Adrenalynn, do you feel offended?

If so, I do apologize cause I didnt mean to.
If not, I have to name Technisol a butt-alpinist.

I really do appreciate what you guys doing here and know that lot of people are depending on your skills but I believe that no-one deserves treating like this, especially not to be called arrogant butt. I took it too personally.

Im ready to hear the critics.

ad absurdum: The cat is dead.

#39 ·
Honasek,

I also thought about whether this was worth a reply... took nearly 30 seconds -that's an eternity for me. I think your post more than sufficiently demonstrates your maturity and sense of priorities, makes me wish I had the privilige of having you as an officemate, and more importantly demonstrates that you understand you were rude. I stand corrected, I mistook your rudeness for arrogance. Please mentally correct my post that offended you by replacing the word arrogant with rude.

I'm just trying to figure out why you're surprised at my objection to your behavior in a public forum. I'm quite confident in Adrenalynn's ability to reduce you to tears interspersed with doubts in both your personhood and the absolute futility of your continued existence as a sentient being. However, I have no problem giving voice to my thoughts regarding public behavior. If as members of society we ignore behavior we consider unacceptable, we in effect condone it and allow it to be reinforced.

By the way, the cat -not unlike ourselves, exists only as a cloud of possibilities. Or does it?

#41 ·
I managed to pick up a 1750 unlocked here in Indonesia for about $33 i plug it in boot the tablet and i get a message "initialising USB" then another about the SD card, then very briefly i get a small SIM card icon appear, from that point there is nothing in the settings menu, if i try a search for networks, i get "error while searching for networks and the light on the 1750 changes from a solid red to a flashing blue.

Any idea's?

#42 ·
This is my experience, for what its worth: The 1750 has resident autoload software for XP, Vista, and W7. It does not have android compatible software. Use your pc to open the contents of the 1750, create a folder titled "useless crap", and copy all of the resident software to that folder (in the event that you want to use the 1750 with a PC). Boot the 816 with the 1750 installed and go to the APN settings and input the provider data and save. Then reboot the 816 and you should be in business.

Bob Harris (harrisb@cfl.rr.com)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.