Cruz R103 Stuck on Boot Screen.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 harobikes34

harobikes34

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hello, My Cruz R103 Stuck on the Cruz Boot screen. I have ADB access but i dont know what commands i would run to try to fix it, if any. I have tried to re-flash it about 9 times with the VM rom. I have also tried the method were you flash it with a Pandigital rom and then flash it twice with the stock VM one. Does anyone know a way to fix this? I have left the battery unplug for 3 hours and it still doesn't boot up, After about 20-30 minutes the screen will go black like its going into sleep mode and when i hit the power button approximately 65 percent of the bottom is black and the remaining 35 percent up top is gray. If anyone can lend me some assistance it will be greatly appreciated.

I flashed it with the Macho Rom and it ran fine for like 3 days before it stared doing this.

#2 Prox

Prox

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, I've got the same problem with my CruzReader.

I'm not sure what initiated this problem as it's my wife's and whatever happened to it was on her watch ( she doesn't remember doing anything funky to it and whatever the problem was didn't cause it to crash. She just turned it off, and it wouldn't boot anymore ). I unplugged the battery and connected the charger, tried booting and got the same results as HaroBikes. Tried hard reset button.. Same.

So I sequentially tried re-flashing to original, updated, and MC firmwares via external card. Each time it booted to android update screen and shows progress bar for about a second. then removes the progress bar and puts a caution triangle ( ! inside yellow triangle ) above Andy's head.

Then I tried to re-flash from the internal SD slot with all three FW's. Same results.

I haven't turned off USB debugging so I'll try to hook it to ADB later today and see if I can decipher what's going on (unless you have to turn on USB debugging, in which case I didn't so I'm screwed).

Any advise on possible things to try so I can get this thing running would be verrrry appreciated!

#3 Prox

Prox

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:24 AM

Well, I took a long look at the adb and got the Cruz to show in it with ...>adb devices, but only when it halted with the caution symbol above Andy. Otherwise it just sits there interminably and my computer doesn't see it at all.

command> adb devices
------lists the device as "Tablet-P    recovery"

command> adb get-state
------returns "unknown"

cmd> adb reboot-bootloader
------reboots the device to cruz startup screen... no activity thereafter. Have to disconnect and reconnect power, then hold vol up key and power key to get back to Caution Andy and start over.

cmd> adb reboot recovery
------Same as reboot-bootloader

cmd> adb logcat
------Generates this:

I/ARMAssembler( 1848): generated scanline__00000077:03545404_00000000_00000000 [29 ipp] (43 ins) at [0x5f080:0x5f12c] in 427925 ns
I/ARMAssembler( 1848): generated scanline__00000077:03545404_00000A02_00000000 [30 ipp] (52 ins) at [0x5f130:0x5f200] in 275533 ns
I/ARMAssembler( 1848): generated scanline__00000077:03545404_00000A01_00000000 [30 ipp] (51 ins) at [0x5f208:0x5f2d4] in 252767 ns

and then it hangs the command prompt

Tried kill-server and start-server. both acted properly as far as I could tell.

cmd> adb root
-------says it's already set up as a rooted device.

cmd> adb usb
-------resets usb to on (I assume that that's normal)

cmd> adb status-window
-------Generates this:

←[2J←[2HAndroid Debug Bridge
State: unknown

and then it hangs like the >adb logcat  does.

I cannot seem to figure out what to try next. It looks like I have some connectivity to the Cruz reader, but either it's limited (usb debugging off???) or I just don't know enough about what I'm doing.

Does anyone have an Idea about what Harobikes and I could try next to get these beasts up and running again?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input!

PS: Sorry for the double post.

#4 gjbnh

gjbnh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:05 AM

Prox, thanks for the info!! The output from ADB will be interesting and may prove helpful as we progress.

Let's try this;

Unplug unit from ALL power. (battery included)

Remove internal card, and FULL format.

Remove external card and FULL format.

Plug Power back in; battery included.

Put stock VM rom on internal card;, and replace.

Try to flash.

If it fails, format card again.

Then place VM Stock rom on external card; Flash.
Let's see if that helps you guys.

#5 Prox

Prox

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

Well, Progress of sorts...

I followed all steps as you described.

It seems the VMCR doesn't look at the interal slot for firmware updates, There was no change from before when I tried the above steps on a freshly formatted SD stock FW zip in the internal slot.

When flashing with freshly formatted SD with only stock FW zip in the external slot. 10%... 25%... 38%... 52%... 60% through the update!!!

...and then it hangs.

After about 2 minutes it reboots and hangs as HaroBikes describes.

I let it hang in the update screen, turned off and removed battery, then reformatted again (the SD card has a new folder /LostDir/ when I look at it before formatting). and started Update again.

Still hangs at about 60% done. Tried again with no further success.

Tried not re-formatting after one attempt. got to 60% again and still hangs.

I also tried using the Macho Cruz instead of stock as well with the same results.

Any other things I could try?

#6 stylerbowen

stylerbowen

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

For what ever it may be worth, I had the EXACT issue with my R101 after 3 or 4 days of running the same rom.  I ended up doing the following:
1) disconnecting the battery overnight
2) removing the internal SD
3) long formatting the external SD on my laptop
4) flashing the device 3 or 4 times with the VM rom on their website - quick formatting the SD between each flash
5) flashing the device with the PDN rom 3 or 4 times with the ROM listed from here
    http://www.slatedroi...11403#msg111403
6) then back to the VM website rom
7) reinstalled the internal SD card

After that it worked fine (with the sole exception of market being totally buggered from then on regardless of ROM)

I found myself having to use the reset button frequently between flashes to reboot the device, the hand cramps were almost unbearable but worth it when the device was again usable.

Cheers,
Tyler

#7 gjbnh

gjbnh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:08 AM

Sigh, we are still working on getting market back after the PDN dance....stay tuned. In the mean time you can use the web based market.

After thinking about this a bit, I'm wondering if your Stock VM download is corrupt; Try downloading a fresh copy and trying it.

#8 Prox

Prox

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

Thank you very much for all of your input.

I will attempt to re-flash three times in a row with stock VM rom as before, If that doesn't work, I will connect to adb and attempt >adb reboot-bootloader with the stock VM rom on a Fat32 slow formatted card and attempt again with VM rom on Fat slow formatted card.

If that doesn't work, I will try the steps as provided in the linked post. (I don't really want to lose the marketplace, but as pointed out in the post, it's better than sticking it to my bathroom wall as a nightlight) But before I do this I will check versions inside Rom .zip files and maybe switch some VM files out into the PDM rom. If anybody has an idea of which files should not be changed in PDM rom, it would be helpful to not be flying blind.

If all else fails I will try reflashing with PDM rom as described, and bye bye market (BTW is it the Android Market, the VM Market, or both that this method will ruin?).

Thanks again for all your help guys!

I will post my results later today!

#9 gjbnh

gjbnh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

The good news is I solved the PDN market loss, (I think worked for me at least) See my post on a working market

#10 Prox

Prox

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

I noticed that thread, and now I'm not as concerned about the PDN rom.

Thanks again, I'll post an update when I get back home and try it all out!

#11 BaristaVic

BaristaVic

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

My Cruz R101 is also stuck on the boot screen have tried many of the suggestion on here and still no luck.Any other possible suggestions?

#12 Prox

Prox

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

Well, I hate to say it, but tried all possible iterations of the PDN rom process (PDN rolled out just as described each time) but by the time I had flashed back to the other roms it was stuck in the same state as before.

each time I changed to a different rom, I first slow formatted the SD.

First I followed all recommendations on the PDN Dance as described. It looked very promising as it went off just as described in the post. But it ended up in the state that HaroBikes initially described.

Then attempted PDN overlaid with the Macho Cruz rom.

I tried PDNrom --> VMrom --> MCrom and PDNrom -->MCrom --> VMrom as well, both with the same ultimate results.

ADB prompts list out the same as before as well: status<unknown>, <hangs> etc. When I get more time I'll take a look at ADB after each rom flash to see if I can get any other info that deviates from before.

I don't know what else to try, but I don't want to give up. If we can somehow manage to get this operational it would be very good for everyone who manages to end up with this problem in the future (and it unfortunately looks like more are starting to come out into the woodwork). Though I must admit that my wife is complaining almost daily about not being able to use it so I guess I'm not being altogether altruistic i suppose  ;)

#13 gjbnh

gjbnh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

Did you:

remove external card and FULL format?

remover internal card and FULL format?

Flash via internal card recommend PDN firmware? Some have reported flashing 4 or 5 times in a row BEFORE flashing stock VM firmware.

#14 Prox

Prox

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

Unfortunately, yes. I have done all as recommended.

I am going to try again in case I missed something, but I've done the complete process I think a total of 9 times. Who knows maybe the tenth time is the charm?

I'll also check the ADB at each step on the 11th iteration if the 10th doesn't work. :)

#15 Prox

Prox

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

10th Attempt:
---------------

Well it seems that the VMCR will not boot from the internal SD when in the ultimate stuck state. It initialized from the External slot though.

After update, it posts white screen then goes to Pentagonal Startup Screen. Powered it down, reformatted to PND again and it wouldn't recognize the update from internal. Tried again in internal after reformatting with PDN rom, no dice. Then tried again with external slot, I still got the ! triangle. So re-tried internal. and then it worked.

Slow formatted SD again, Put PND rom on, and flashed from internal again. Now no white screen before Pentagonal Startup Screen.

Slow formatted SD again, Put PDN rom on, and flashed from internal again (3rd Time successful, Second successful from internal SD Slot) No white screen.

Slow formatted SD ->PDN rom from internal. Fourth PDN flash fine. No white screen during initialization.

Slow formatted SD w/PDN rom Install from Internal. Fifth Pentagonal install (four non white screen on reboot).

Pentagonal FW doesn't actually full boot even if left there for 10 minutes. In fact if left there it will sleep, and if you press power it does the exact same thing as the original problem (approximately 33% at the top of she screen shows Pentagonal boot screen, bottom 2/3 goes black).

Re-downloaded VMrom in case of corruption of the one I currently have.

Slow format and VM rom installation One from Internal SD. White Screen for a couple seconds then posts Cruz boot screen, sits for about 30 seconds and reboots to white screen then Cruz boot screen again (repeats). After 3 iterations I unplugged.

Slow Format VM rom install 2 from Internal SD no longer working. Installed from External. Installs fine but never fully boots just like original problem as HaroBikes described.

Slow Format VM rom install 3 from External. (Both SD slots being finicky, several attempts on both slots made to get it to not show the ! triangle). Finally got it to recognize on external. Still doesn't fully boot.

Slow Format VM rom install 4 from External. Worked on first attempt. Same result. no change after boot.

------------------------

These are the steps I took on all attempts.

On the tenth attempt I always tried using the internal slot first, and if it doesn't work, I re-format, put the rom back and retry internal before fresh reformat, replacing rom and trying with external slot.

I will now attempt this again from the start using ADB connection to find as much as I can between each successful boot.

Sorry everyone for the double post.

#16 gjbnh

gjbnh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:53 AM

WOW Prox, talk about persistence. I'm still convinced that minor hardware changes by VM is a major component of the bad boots. Talk to JGM about formatting the various partitions via adb; the problem may well be residue from the initial bad flash.

#17 Prox

Prox

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, I guess I'm being persistent, though I think it's more likely that I'm just being obstinate :)

I don't want to have to toss the thing.

I figured I'd write the post as I was doing it so we'd have a record of what exactly I tried.

#18 radioman52

radioman52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:50 PM

Yeah, I guess I'm being persistent, though I think it's more likely that I'm just being obstinate :P

I don't want to have to toss the thing.

I figured I'd write the post as I was doing it so we'd have a record of what exactly I tried.

OK,
Back to retro time, Find a 1 or 2 Gig SD card and try the Factory 10-10 FW.

#19 Prox

Prox

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

Unfortunately I don't have the 10-10 FW, I've been using the 10-20 FW. It's not listed on the VM site that I can find. Any way someone can nudge me in the direction of a DL location for the Factory 10-10 FW?

I do have a 2 gig micro sd from an old phone, and an 8 year old (but reliable, if outmoded) 512 SD card.

#20 Howie372

Howie372

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

Here you go  http://cruzsupport.v...asp?deptID=5758  and the 10-10 is in reference to the release date 10-10-2010.  Most people just leave off the 2010 and refer to firmware as the 10-10 firmware.

WOW Prox, talk about persistence. I'm still convinced that minor hardware changes by VM is a major component of the bad boots. Talk to JGM about formatting the various partitions via adb; the problem may well be residue from the initial bad flash.

Will have to agree with GJBNH on this one as well.  Velocity Micro, like other big names, farm out the production to the lowest bidder at the time.  I can't help but think they changed supplier somewhere during the first of the year ( a cheaper sweat shop in China ).  Also if it came from Best Buy, wouldn't be suprised if some of the Readers are actually referbs, carefully labeled with hard to find referb sticker somewhere in an obscure place ( could be wrong, just a 'thought' ).  Really think a different supplier with lower QC standards is the source.

Hope this helps.